Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Black Cat Appreciation Day
I support BCM.   Black Cats Matter. 

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/black...ation-day/
I love black cats. I’ve have two. One when I was was still in high school. His name was Bo. He was beautiful. Then a few years after I got married, we got Chloe. She was a solid black bobtail. She came to us as an older cat, grumpy and set in her ways. Her first day here she bit my husband. After that though, he was really the only one she’d have much to do with. I could pet her and she seemed to enjoy it but she would seek him out to sit in his lap. It’s been years and I still miss them.

Thanks for posting this. It was nice to think back on my happy memories of Bo and Chloe.
Black cats are very smart in my experience.  They are made-to-order predators of the night and have an innate understanding of camouflage.  Fine companions to be sure.

Cheer
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(08-17-2020, 03:48 PM)VioletDove Wrote: I love black cats. I’ve have two. One when I was was still in high school. His name was Bo. He was beautiful. Then a few years after I got married, we got Chloe. She was a solid black bobtail. She came to us as an older cat, grumpy and set in her ways. Her first day here she bit my husband. After that though, he was really the only one she’d have much to do with. I could pet her and she seemed to enjoy it but she would seek him out to sit in his lap. It’s been years and I still miss them.

Thanks for posting this. It was nice to think back on my happy memories of Bo and Chloe.

It was great to hear a little of their stories. 

I've had two:  Pippen and Ronin.   Pippen was in a pet store.   Every kitten (non-black) went to a home; he was the last kitten there and he was so lonely.   So I took him home.   He was so loving.   He died about a decade ago.   I hate to think what petstores do to kittens who don't sell.  

Ronin is a yearling who was rescued along with his black and white brother, Sammy (call name; real one is Samurai).   They were starving and very sick when they were living under a neighborhood house.   They were about 4 months old when I rescued them.   I'm not sure they would have lived another week.   They are doing really well, although sometimes I wonder if Sammy has a little neurological damage from either the illness and/or nearly starving to death.   Ronin is another super-loving black cat.   He's so gentle!   He always has all his claws sheathed, even when most cats don't think to do so.

I forgot to add, however: I actually have three black cats now. Ronin, Night Cat and Ninja. Ninja is feral. We brought him over from our previous house because the buyers said they didn't like cats. We thought he would stay outside in the catio since ferals are supposed to be so terrified of humans. He followed our cats in through the cat flap. We discovered it on Thanksgiving Day when we heard low meowing coming from behind the stove. He was starting to cook himself. It's been years, and he will still only let us get 12 inches from him if we're doing a "special" treat ritual. Night Cat was part of the outdoor colony here. We brought him in. He loves petting, but he will never be as thoroughly tame as the other cats. He has Rules.
I've had several black cats over my lifetime. One came here as a stray several years ago. He was the local bully, beat up all the other local cats. Ended up having to give him away to a woman in a neighboring county so he'd stay out of trouble. He was a big, beautiful bear of a cat. I would love to have kept him, but I couldn't afford all the vet bills he would have cost me at that time. He was always coming home with his face tore up, ears about bitten off, etc.
He stands out the most of all the black cats I've had.

Seems like most black cats I've had were more about staying to themselves, didn't like to snuggle or be petted that much, so I usually pick a different color when it's my choice, which here in the country isn't always the case. They choose me.

Happy Black Cat Appreciation Day!
I have one, Jupitor is his name and a hunter he is. So lovey-dovey he is infectious. Beautiful, his Mother a Tortoiseshell.