Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gympie Gympie - Australia's most painful plant
Wink 
Many say that Aussie fauna and sea life can be dangerous no matter where you go from the coast to inland.  Some real killers out there too.

Here I want to bring to attention a certain plant that has reportedly sent people mad with pain, caused the death of animals and is said to have led to a suicide.

In opening I will say there have been circumstances where the call of nature in the bush may require a large leaf to clean ones self up if there isn't a creek available.  I admit to taking a dump in a water course and while fishing off a boat by stripping down and hanging off the side of the small vessel.  

When you gotta go you gotta go.  Now what has this to do with the topic I have presented.  I'll cut and paste a small write up about the Gympie Gympie tree.

Also known as the mulberry-leaved stinger and stinging brush, Gympie, Gimpy Gimpy, Gympie stinger, the suicide plant, or moonlighter, is a plant that thrives in the rainforest areas of the northeast of Australia.

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/is-the...icide.html

Hope the link works.  Anyway, many times I have been stung by multitude of plants while walking in the bush.  One brushed up on my arm, causing powerful pain.  Took a week to get over it.

But the poor guy in this story used the leaf to clean himself up.  The madness caused him to shoot himself so I guess I shouldn't laugh.

Gimpy Gimpy Suicide Plant Mystery: Can A Plant Really Make People Commit Suicides?
Updated On: 11 Mar 2020 By Dev Lunawat

Quote:
The Gympie-Gympie stinging tree is one of the world’s deadliest plants, and can leave you in agony and pain for months; death itself would seem like a better option. 

The stinger that caused me the pain wasn't identified as I delicately got out of there rather quickly to seek a form of relief.

Moving on,

Stories abound of the gympie-gympie's notorious side effects. Stung horses that have been known to die within hours, even jumping off cliffs to escape their suffering. One man was purported to have shot himself to end his pain after having foolishly used the leaf as toilet paper. Even breathing in any floating hairs can cause sneezing, rashes and nosebleeds. Entomologist and ecologist Marina Hurley, who studies various species of Australian stinging trees, has likened the gympie-gympie's effect to "being burnt with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time." Yet, there are some marsupial species, insects and birds that consume the plant's leaves and fruits with no problem.

So when visiting the shores and taking in the breath taking scenery while trekking through remote areas just don't look down, or up, look ahead and be mindful of brushing up against a broad leaf innocuous looking plant.

Kind regards,

Bally
Well, if you're going to have plants that heal, you gotta have some that kill to balance things out, right?   tinywhat 

Thanks for the warning. I always wanted to go to Australia, but the more I learn about the giant spiders, and other deadly things, and now plants that electrocute you, I think I'll just stay home.   tinyhuh
(08-07-2020, 12:52 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Well, if you're going to have plants that heal, you gotta have some that kill to balance things out, right?   tinywhat 

Thanks for the warning. I always wanted to go to Australia, but the more I learn about the giant spiders, and other deadly things, and now plants that electrocute you, I think I'll just stay home.   tinyhuh

When reading this account I thought taking ones own life after being stung by a plant is going to the next level.

Cheers for reading.

Bally:)
Just one more reason to stay home  minusculebeercheers 

I hate Sharks and Jellyfish and now you have God Awful, Murderously Painful plants!!!
Thank You Arizona, only the Heat Will Kill You if you're Really Stupid!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Thanks for the tour, @"Bally002" .
I will pass this information to my daughter, who has been in Australia for the last year...
To your knowledge, would this stinging tree be found as far south as Queensland?
Thanks again.

"Good judgment comes from experience...
Experience...? Well, that comes from poor judgment."
~ Dean Martin ~

(08-07-2020, 02:06 AM)guohua Wrote: Just one more reason to stay home  minusculebeercheers 

I hate Sharks and Jellyfish and now you have God Awful, Murderously Painful plants!!!

Then again, in some parts (and seasons) black widow spiders can be found in plague-like abundance.
And - there is a certain Giant Desert Centipede, whose bite is purportedly one of the fiercest of any insect on the planet.

If you're interested, here is a video of a guy (who sometimes overacts - though, tbh...I would probably overact a lot more) taking a bite from said 'centipede (then, attempting to extract as much of the venom as he could withstand).

~ Dean Martin ~

(08-07-2020, 02:11 AM)Minstrel Wrote: Thanks for the tour, @"Bally002" .
I will pass this information to my daughter, who has been in Australia for the last year...
To your knowledge, would this stinging tree be found as far south as Queensland?
Thanks again.

Hi Minstrel,

Queensland is in the north of Australia and yes, most likely the plant is in the undergrowth of jungles there.  It's not common for people to get hurt as it's mostly found in areas that are generally heavily vegetated of the beaten track so to say.

There are a few spikey prickly seemingly harmless plants.  I have a few on my property but not the Gympie Gympie thank goodness.

I generally burn them out.

Cheers,

Thumbs Up 
(08-07-2020, 02:24 AM)Minstrel Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 02:06 AM)guohua Wrote: Just one more reason to stay home  minusculebeercheers 

Then again, in some parts (and seasons) black widow spiders can be found in plague-like abundance.
And - there is a certain Giant Desert Centipede, whose bite is purportedly one of the fiercest of any insect on the planet.

If you're interested, here is a video of a guy (who sometimes overacts - though, tbh...I would probably overact a lot more) taking a bite from said 'centipede (then, attempting to extract as much of the venom as he could withstand).

No thank you.  And that guy can keep his job.  Has he been stung by a "box Jellyfish?" to your knowledge.  

They kill people, especially children if hit hard and help is not close by.  Survivors have scars for the rest of their life.

Bally
(08-07-2020, 02:37 AM)Bally002 Wrote: ...that guy can keep his job.  Has he been stung by a "box Jellyfish?" to your knowledge.  

They kill people, especially children if hit hard and help is not close by.  Survivors have scars for the rest of their life.

Bally

Thanks for the Queensland info!

I don't recall if he's taken a hit from the box Jellyfish. He stays almost entirely with insects.
I did watch an episode of the Barefoot Bushman's series, years ago, where he purposefully took a serious sting from a box Jellyfish in the upper inner thigh. I think you have to purchase that entire series, from him (or his company) to view it, now --- but, even with all the efforts he put into "treating" the sting, he ended-up in the hospital for multiple days.

My daughter is near the coast, and is always sincerely concerned about the box Jellies when taking her toddlers to the beach.
Thanks again!

~ Dean Martin ~

Aw man, I've watched that one.  When that thing went berserk when coyote pinned it down to pick it up...no thanks.

Ever notice how coyote never does spider bites?  tinylaughing
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]

YUP, Black Widow Spiders are common here in the warmer months but the stay in the dark areas of Garages or attics and you have to pick it up to get one to bite you, my husband has done numerous times, it doesn't hurt him at all never has he just picks them out of the web drops them and steps down.
The centipede is found deep under rocks and old stumps and stuff like that in the summer, you normally find them while searching old washes for gold or going into old mines.
YUP!
Husband again has one hanging from the fleshy part of his hand below the little finger.
Lots and lots of pain, he just rips it off and the head was still there, so he pulled the head off of his hand.
The pain was really bad so we stopped working the claim. The pain was like a Red Hot Poker on a Nerve he said. I made an Herbal paste for his hand. That night his hand did swell up in the morning while drinking coffee and eating bacon and eggs, his hand was just fine.
There are plants in the desert that can be crushed and used to dull the pain and other systems.

I HATE Jellyfish, stinging little bastards, remind me of fire ants.
(08-07-2020, 12:07 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Many say that Aussie fauna and sea life can be dangerous no matter where you go from the coast to inland.  Some real killers out there too.

Here I want to bring to attention a certain plant that has reportedly sent people mad with pain, caused the death of animals and is said to have led to a suicide.

In opening I will say there have been circumstances where the call of nature in the bush may require a large leaf to clean ones self up if there isn't a creek available.  I admit to taking a dump in a water course and while fishing off a boat by stripping down and hanging off the side of the small vessel.  

When you gotta go you gotta go.  Now what has this to do with the topic I have presented.  I'll cut and paste a small write up about the Gympie Gympie tree.

Also known as the mulberry-leaved stinger and stinging brush, Gympie, Gimpy Gimpy, Gympie stinger, the suicide plant, or moonlighter, is a plant that thrives in the rainforest areas of the northeast of Australia.

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/is-the...icide.html

Hope the link works.  Anyway, many times I have been stung by multitude of plants while walking in the bush.  One brushed up on my arm, causing powerful pain.  Took a week to get over it.

But the poor guy in this story used the leaf to clean himself up.  The madness caused him to shoot himself so I guess I shouldn't laugh.

Gimpy Gimpy Suicide Plant Mystery: Can A Plant Really Make People Commit Suicides?
Updated On: 11 Mar 2020 By Dev Lunawat

Quote:
The Gympie-Gympie stinging tree is one of the world’s deadliest plants, and can leave you in agony and pain for months; death itself would seem like a better option. 

The stinger that caused me the pain wasn't identified as I delicately got out of there rather quickly to seek a form of relief.

Moving on,

Stories abound of the gympie-gympie's notorious side effects. Stung horses that have been known to die within hours, even jumping off cliffs to escape their suffering. One man was purported to have shot himself to end his pain after having foolishly used the leaf as toilet paper. Even breathing in any floating hairs can cause sneezing, rashes and nosebleeds. Entomologist and ecologist Marina Hurley, who studies various species of Australian stinging trees, has likened the gympie-gympie's effect to "being burnt with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time." Yet, there are some marsupial species, insects and birds that consume the plant's leaves and fruits with no problem.

So when visiting the shores and taking in the breath taking scenery while trekking through remote areas just don't look down, or up, look ahead and be mindful of brushing up against a broad leaf innocuous looking plant.

Kind regards,

Bally

Jesus christ, as if the animals weren't bad enough, now the plants!  Soon the air will turn to nitrogen lol
(08-07-2020, 03:05 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: ...Aw man, I've watched that one.  When that thing went berserk when coyote pinned it down to pick it up...no thanks.

I had actually included that 'fact' originally in my post...then removed it as I thought he might have had a show with some tarantula...but I wasn't certain, and didn't want to muddy the water.
I wouldn't want to be bitten by a spider, either... I try to leave them alone, as long as they don't make their presence too obvious &/or discomforting (doesn't take much, though - I will admit).

~ Dean Martin ~

(08-07-2020, 03:32 AM)guohua Wrote: YUP, Black Widow Spiders are common here in the warmer months but the stay in the dark areas of Garages or attics and you have to pick it up to get one to bite you, my husband has done numerous times, it doesn't hurt him at all never has he just picks them out of the web drops them and steps down.
The centipede is found deep under rocks and old stumps and stuff like that in the summer, you normally find them while searching old washes for gold or going into old mines.
YUP!
Husband again has one hanging from the fleshy part of his hand below the little finger.
Lots and lots of pain, he just rips it off and the head was still there, so he pulled the head off of his hand.
The pain was really bad so we stopped working the claim. The pain was like a Red Hot Poker on a Nerve he said. I made an Herbal paste for his hand. That night his hand did swell up in the morning while drinking coffee and eating bacon and eggs, his hand was just fine.
There are plants in the desert that can be crushed and used to dull the pain and other systems.

Did you gather the 'herbs' for the paste on the spot (right where/when he was bitten)...or did you use herbs from your own stash?

I watched a special within the last 10-15 years of the black widows out and about at night (warm - maybe really hot weather)...and the people couldn't take a step on their sidewalk/driveway without stepping on the little buggers.
That may have been an exceptional occasion (and used, at the time, to support the notion that global warming/climate change was the culprit behind the mass hysterical behavior - in other words...their spidey senses were off)...and I think the location was "Scottsdale".

Prospecting has always held a genuine fascination for me.

~ Dean Martin ~

(08-07-2020, 06:14 AM)Minstrel Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 03:32 AM)guohua Wrote: YUP, Black Widow Spiders are common here in the warmer months but the stay in the dark areas of Garages or attics and you have to pick it up to get one to bite you, my husband has done numerous times, it doesn't hurt him at all never has he just picks them out of the web drops them and steps down.
YUP!

Did you gather the 'herbs' for the paste on the spot (right where/when he was bitten)...or did you use herbs from your own stash?

I watched a special within the last 10-15 years of the black widows out and about at night (warm - maybe really hot weather)...and the people couldn't take a step on their sidewalk/driveway without stepping on the little buggers.
That may have been an exceptional occasion (and used, at the time, to support the notion that global warming/climate change was the culprit behind the mass hysterical behavior - in other words...their spidey senses were off)...and I think the location was "Scottsdale".

Prospecting has always held a genuine fascination for me.

There are Herbs I keep in our fifth wheel r/v because my husband never wears gloves.
Actually, I use Raw from my own plants the  Aloe vera leaf, skinned to the clear moist insides and Tea tree oil (I buy from China) and a leaf from the plant called Lemon Balm, which I grow in my garden and clip the leafs mash for the juices.
I will take a little Red Wine and mix together into a paste.

Black Widows, never seen them on the sidewalks or garage floor or our driveway, they can be found in dark corners or the beams in attics ot under the hood of a car that has set for all year.

No, now our Tarantulas will run wild during breeding season.
If you have a pool in your backyard the at night you can take a blacklite out and see hundreds of Scorpions.
[Image: 640px-Stinging_tree.JPG]

The "stinging tree".  Nasty!

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(08-07-2020, 08:05 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: [Image: 640px-Stinging_tree.JPG]

The "stinging tree".  Nasty!

Cheers

Good pic, thanks mate.  You can see why it appears innocuous. 

Kind regards,

(08-07-2020, 05:59 AM)Minstrel Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 03:05 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: ...Aw man, I've watched that one.  When that thing went berserk when coyote pinned it down to pick it up...no thanks.

I had actually included that 'fact' originally in my post...then removed it as I thought he might have had a show with some tarantula...but I wasn't certain, and didn't want to muddy the water.
I wouldn't want to be bitten by a spider, either... I try to leave them alone, as long as they don't make their presence too obvious &/or discomforting (doesn't take much, though - I will admit).

I hear ya, I hate the bastards but I'm also fascinated by them and realize their importance, but still, scamper across my ceiling at night and it's game over  tinylaughing

There's no way the majority of spider bites would be worse than what he did with that centipede, I wouldn't expect him to press a Sydney funnel web against his arm, but something like a grass spider or wolf spider?  I'd take a bite from the wolf spider before I did from that satanic centipede.