Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Crummy Laptop Is Dying
(08-06-2020, 01:03 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I tried the fix, but now my touch screen doesn't work and the computer ignores most of the mouse functions, except scroll, which it does now at the speed of light. 

Go to the "Start" button and click it. When the menu pops up, look on the right of the menu for "Control Panel". Open that. Then look on the list for "Mouse", and double click that. You will get a popup with a slider button to control your mouse speed. If it's too fast, slide the indicator to the left. Try the mouse out, and adjust it until you get the speed you like. If a new driver was installed, it may be adjusted all the way to the right, which is way too damned fast for us mere mortals to use.

Quote:It was ignoring mouse functions before, off and on, but now it is doing it all the time. I am so frustrated with the darn thing. 

Which sounds like a driver issue, which is why I think a new driver was installed for the mouse. Probably the touch screen, too. I don't use touch screens, so I'm no help there, but look around in Control Panel for "Display" or "Screen", or the name of your video card (mine is Nvidia), and you may find adjustments for that, too, or a button to click to turn touchscreen functions on/off, or something like that. Another option may be to right click on your desktop and select "Display" from the bottom of the popup list. You may find controls for it there.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-06-2020, 09:17 PM)guohua Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 08:51 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 08:24 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 02:46 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I don't move it much because it has to stay plugged up for me to use it.

At least you're not pulling out your hair.

Now ... with all the good advice provided ... you're going to buy a DESKTOP as a replacement ... true??

Well, since since my laptop has been a desktop for nearly six months, why not?

There are desktop's here for under $500. Amazon
Best Buy
This is the best buy I have seen and free shipping EBay

Wow!  So glad I have a man that lives close by who builds computers. I've bought all my desktops from him since I first got internet, and they last me at least 10 years. Full of all the programs I need and tons of memory, all for around $250.
Actually this Dell Desktop Computer?16GB of ram  2TB HD (hard Drive) 512GB SSD Quad Core i5?Windows 10 PC 22" LCD for $139.99 free shipping is a Steal. 
[Image: s-l500.jpg]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(08-07-2020, 01:07 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Go to the "Start" button and click it. When the menu pops up, look on the right of the menu for "Control Panel". Open that. Then look on the list for "Mouse", and double click that. You will get a popup with a slider button to control your mouse speed. If it's too fast, slide the indicator to the left. Try the mouse out, and adjust it until you get the speed you like. If a new driver was installed, it may be adjusted all the way to the right, which is way too damned fast for us mere mortals to use.

Quote:It was ignoring mouse functions before, off and on, but now it is doing it all the time. I am so frustrated with the darn thing. 

Which sounds like a driver issue, which is why I think a new driver was installed for the mouse. Probably the touch screen, too. I don't use touch screens, so I'm no help there, but look around in Control Panel for "Display" or "Screen", or the name of your video card (mine is Nvidia), and you may find adjustments for that, too, or a button to click to turn touchscreen functions on/off, or something like that. Another option may be to right click on your desktop and select "Display" from the bottom of the popup list. You may find controls for it there.

Thank you for your advice. I did what you said, but a got an error message:
Control Panel Extension Incompatible With Driver Version

My laptop is so old that it is dropping screws, and the top won't close any more. I just restored the old version, and at least the mouse and the touch screen is working again.

I will keep fighting with it until it just goes dark or dies. I think it is time for me to check my brothers cast offs. He has usually has an old computer or two in the lot. That is where I got this one.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(08-07-2020, 02:12 AM)guohua Wrote: Actually this Dell Desktop Computer?16GB of ram  2TB HD (hard Drive) 512GB SSD Quad Core i5?Windows 10 PC 22" LCD for $139.99 free shipping is a Steal. 

I might check into getting one of those if the Windows 10 can be scrubbed and Windows 7  or Linux installed. It would certainly be well worth the money if you can get rid of Win10 - otherwise it would just be an expensive doorstop for me  rather than an inexpensive computer.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-07-2020, 07:01 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 02:12 AM)guohua Wrote: Actually this Dell Desktop Computer?16GB of ram  2TB HD (hard Drive) 512GB SSD Quad Core i5?Windows 10 PC 22" LCD for $139.99 free shipping is a Steal. 

I might check into getting one of those if the Windows 10 can be scrubbed and Windows 7  or Linux installed. It would certainly be well worth the money if you can get rid of Win10 - otherwise it would just be an expensive doorstop for me  rather than an inexpensive computer.

Sure, if you have a generic or stand alone windows 7 install disc it is possible. Just run the format and then run your install, just think about it, with a 2 terabyte HD you could install Linux on the other terabyte.
Okay Gordi, I am completely baffled.

All I did was run the task manager to see if it would give me some idea of what is happening with the system. I checked the properties of the touch pad and I turned on the option for suggestions when typing, and now my computer is acting as if nothing happened. 

No lags, fully functioning touch pad and touch screen. So is this just the rally before the crash?

• minusculebeercheers 

Just take the dam thing out to the yard and shoot it, dont understand why you let it suffer  minusculebiggrin
(08-08-2020, 02:22 PM)Wallfire Wrote: Just take the dam thing out to the yard and shoot it, dont understand why you let it suffer  minusculebiggrin

I am not going to waste birds shot or even BB gun pellets on this thing.   tinylaughing

• minusculebeercheers 

Then may I offer the same advice I gave MW a few years ago with her PC. A priest, some holy water, a wooden stake and 3l of petrol, that should deal with the demon
(08-08-2020, 05:05 PM)Wallfire Wrote: Then may I offer the same advice I gave MW a few years ago with her PC. A priest, some holy water, a wooden stake and 3l of petrol, that should deal with the demon

I think I found the true culprit. A little demon of another sort. But the holy water is a great idea, I just put some in a spray bottle.

[Image: Bed.jpg]

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-07-2020, 08:16 AM)guohua Wrote:

Sure, if you have a generic or stand alone windows 7 install disc it is possible. Just run the format and then run your install, just think about it, with a 2 terabyte HD you could install Linux on the other terabyte.

I have about 23 different versions of Windows 7 on a USB dongle installer, so no problem there. My concern is whether Dell has started activating the UEFC "secure boot" which prevents one from installing a new OS. I couldn't find that system on their site, so I couldn't look it up to see if it has UEFC activated or whether it ships with Legacy active... but then again, if I couldn't find it, I couldn't buy it anyhow.

(08-08-2020, 02:14 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Okay Gordi, I am completely baffled.

All I did was run the task manager to see if it would give me some idea of what is happening with the system. I checked the properties of the touch pad and I turned on the option for suggestions when typing, and now my computer is acting as if nothing happened. 

No lags, fully functioning touch pad and touch screen. So is this just the rally before the crash?

It may be good to go for the time being. Sometimes computing code interacts with other modules in unexpected ways. Still need to clean out the dust to prevent overheating, though. It looks like that may not be a problem before long, as it appears to be disassembling itself!

(08-08-2020, 11:00 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 02:14 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Okay Gordi, I am completely baffled.

It may be good to go for the time being. Sometimes computing code interacts with other modules in unexpected ways. Still need to clean out the dust to prevent overheating, though. It looks like that may not be a problem before long, as it appears to be disassembling itself!

I am so fed up with this machine that I am almost hoping it will just die. I am working on saving stuff I want to keep, just in case I get what I truly am not wishing for.

I think it is working on crashing on me, and is being kind enough to give me a warning.

@Ninurta, forgive me for calling you outside your name. Don't ask me where my brain was, because I still haven't found it.

Thank you for your help.

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-08-2020, 10:57 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 08:16 AM)guohua Wrote:

I have about 23 different versions of Windows 7 on a USB dongle installer, so no problem there. My concern is whether Dell has started activating the UEFC "secure boot" which prevents one from installing a new OS. I couldn't find that system on their site, so I couldn't look it up to see if it has UEFC activated or whether it ships with Legacy active... but then again, if I couldn't find it, I couldn't buy it anyhow.

I never buy from Bell.
I found that computer here EBay free shipping
They are refurbished Dell computers.
This one comes with Windows 7:  Windows 7
Now this is the best Win 7 I've seen for the price. Great Win 7
A fond thanks to all my fellow rogues that gave all your wonderful and sage advice.

The old girl finally up and died.

I knew it was coming and she last a lot longer than I thought she would. Because she gave me such a long warning, I was able to copy everything that was valuable, so a piece of her will live on.

I have not made up my mind if I am going to replace her. I went to Best Buy and looked over the devices,  I had researched online, but nothing really prompted me to put my hands in my pocket. 

I am a cheap old broad. 

I figure a couple of days without her, may encourage me to put up the bucks. If not, may she R.I.P.

• minusculebeercheers 

@"NightskyeB4Dawn"  May she Rest In Peace in Laptop Heaven, she was a good old gal while she lasted.  [Image: 200.webp?cid=ecf05e47xgo7948cof2uevvzx8l...d=200.webp] 
Say Goodbye   [Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47xgo7948cof2uevvzx8...=giphy.gif][Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR8VKRxx2e0QdNksC67W...Q&usqp=CAU]
Yeah. They say they are built to last about one to two years. Old girl gave me six, so I am not mad at her.

Plus she was kinder than the guy before her, he dropped me without warning, like a hot potato. At least the old girl gave me plenty of warning.

• minusculebeercheers 

Good news. My Brother is sending me one of his from his last upgrade. 

He is away right now so I will have to wait until he gets back, but I don't mind the wait if it going to save me a few bucks.

I told you I was cheap.   minusculebiggrin

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-21-2020, 02:19 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Good news. My Brother is sending me one of his from his last upgrade. 

He is away right now so I will have to wait until he gets back, but I don't mind the wait if it going to save me a few bucks.

I told you I was cheap.   minusculebiggrin

That is GREAT, Thank Your Brother for us.
We'd miss you terribly with a Laptop to visit us here.