Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking For Recipes For Dragon Fruit
My neighbor just dropped off over twenty dragon fruit to my house.

I have only eaten it as a novelty treat and have never had this many before. The fruit is supposed to be very healthy for you. It is barely on the sweet side of the spectrum, but I just don't see myself eating twenty fresh from the cactus dragon fruit before they become over ripe.

I have found some recipes online, I am looking for some tried and true recipes.

I am going to try the smoothie route after I make it to the store to get some complimentary fruits, so smoothie recipes are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.
NSB4D

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Sorry I can't help you; I don't even know what dragon fruit is.  It might be called by a different name where I'm from.
Do you know any other names?
(08-03-2020, 04:44 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Sorry I can't help you; I don't even know what dragon fruit is.  It might be called by a different name where I'm from.
Do you know any other names?

Sorry. I should have realized that it may be called something else in other places.

It looks like this from the outside.
[Image: proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fencrypte...15181c6ac8]

Like this from the inside.
[Image: proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fencrypte...42e249c108]  [Image: proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fencrypte...104cd66c87]

Here is something information about it.

https://10faq.com/health/health-benefits...gJwtfD_BwE

• minusculebeercheers 

Nope, still can't help you. It doesn't grow in my neck of the woods.

Sounds healthy, and as you stated, it should work well in a smoothie. 

Maybe just google "dragon fruit recipes".
Dragon fruit recipes

smoothies/chia pudding

yogurt
blended dragon fruit
chia seeds
any other fruit you like acai or blueberries

blend, add chia seeds and let sit in the refrigerator. It will swell to a pudding, get spoon, enjoy.   minusculebeercheers 

I love dragon fruit, not the yellow but the pink.
(08-03-2020, 05:11 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Nope, still can't help you. It doesn't grow in my neck of the woods.

Sounds healthy, and as you stated, it should work well in a smoothie. 

Maybe just google "dragon fruit recipes".

Thanks @"Mystic Wanderer". I have looked up recipes online. I was looking for someone that has actually done something with them, beside just eating them fresh, that could give me some tried and true information about them.

They have a taste that is a bit different from the fruit commonly eaten here in the US. Unless I find someone that has had experience with this fruit, I will most likely freeze them and use them in smoothies.

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-03-2020, 05:16 PM)DaphneApollo Wrote: Dragon fruit recipes

smoothies/chia pudding

yogurt
blended dragon fruit
chia seeds

blend, add chia seeds and let sit in the refrigerator. It will swell to a pudding, get spoon, enjoy.   minusculebeercheers 

Thanks! I love yogurt. I will definitely give it a try.

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-03-2020, 05:16 PM)DaphneApollo Wrote: Dragon fruit recipes

smoothies/chia pudding

yogurt
blended dragon fruit
chia seeds

I didn't have any chia seeds. I just added the dragon fruit, as is, straight into the yogurt and it was very good.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• minusculebeercheers 

Okay, for any that are interested, I tried a couple things and I found out that I don't know squat about dragon fruit.

I have found an easier way to get to the fruit. You can scoop it out like ice cream, but I found if I cut the the fruit in slices, it basically just pops out. I made a smoothie with bananas and strawberries, and found the flavor of the dragon fruit is pretty much swallowed up in the presence of the other fruit. It does give it more substance and makes it more filling.

Right now I am starting believe it is the soy equivalent of fruit. I believe it will take on the flavor of any fruit you mix with it. I have plenty, so I will keep experimenting.

• minusculebeercheers 

I have to go to Atlanta Chinese markets to get dragon fruit.  So, can't make this, darn!  Dragon fruit cheesecake... tinybiggrin  Yes,please. Nightskyb4dawn, make some and tell us how it is?  You're welcome for the recommend.
(08-03-2020, 04:39 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: My neighbor just dropped off over twenty dragon fruit to my house.

I have only eaten it as a novelty treat and have never had this many before. The fruit is supposed to be very healthy for you. It is barely on the sweet side of the spectrum, but I just don't see myself eating twenty fresh from the cactus dragon fruit before they become over ripe.

I have found some recipes online, I am looking for some tried and true recipes.

I am going to try the smoothie route after I make it to the store to get some complimentary fruits, so smoothie recipes are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.
NSB4D

Hi mate,

Some months ago,  (before border closures) my daughter, her hubby and our new grandson flew from South Australia to a location in Queensland and rented a large apartment.  Reason was a wedding.  Anyway, "True Love' and I were the baby sitters while they went to the reception.

Next morning we went to a promenade on the beach front for breakfast.  I chose a meal of dragon fruit, tasty white yogurt and Chia seeds.

Very tasty.  Simple brekky dish but I can recommend it. Yum.

Kind regards,

Bally

Edit, lol, I see 'Daphne' beat me to it. Should have read previous recipes.:)
(08-04-2020, 12:50 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Hi mate,

Some months ago,  (before border closures) my daughter, her hubby and our new grandson flew from South Australia to a location in Queensland and rented a large apartment.  Reason was a wedding.  Anyway, "True Love' and I were the baby sitters while they went to the reception.

Next morning we went to a promenade on the beach front for breakfast.  I chose a meal of dragon fruit, tasty white yogurt and Chia seeds.

Very tasty.  Simple brekky dish but I can recommend it. Yum.

Kind regards,

Bally

Edit, lol, I see 'Daphne' beat me to it.  Should have read previous recipes.:)

Thanks Bally.

I tried the yogurt with dragons fruit and I really liked it. I was planning on trying the no bake cheese cake but I have too many pounds to shed from the quarantine and very generous neighbors.

I know why my neighbors are so generous, they are trying to spread the pounds around. 

One of my neighbors had a birthday party last night and she had to send me two huge slices of Decadent Chocolate cake, and a quart of frozen custard. 

So I am going to back off the cheese cake, for now.

• minusculebeercheers