Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sounds
It doesn't take much to get the old gears in my head turning. In my world just about everything makes me go, Humm....Today I got stuck on the topic of sounds. Everyone's home has sounds. Those sounds that are so much a part of your home that they are soundless, until something happens and they change. Sounds of the a/c, the water running through the pipes, the fridge that you hear and you don't hear.

My mornings are pretty routine. The dogs have their schedule and I hear them when they wake and move around in their crates. I hear them walk across the wood floors to my room. I even hear them nudge open the door to see if I am up yet.

I was not prepared for the sound that wakened me this morning. Enoch is a kitten, so he still has that sharp kitten screech. He is very verbal so he talks a lot and he is awful, awful, loud!

So imagine waking up because a little critter has stealthily entered your room, climbed into your bed and screamed "Get Up!" directly into your face. I don't think there is an ICD-10 code for the effects this causes.

It motivated to me to learn about sound Feng Shui. This then led me to additional research about sound, and its effect on the human psyche and body. Since hearing is primal and there is no way to turn it off, it has to have a much stronger impact on us than we realize. It is one of our senses that I believe is taken too much for granted, and does not get the attention it deserves, unless our hearing become impaired.

There have been people who have learned to echo locate. Even some who are deaf have the ability to pick up on the vibrations of sound. We have all seen the movies where the sonic weapons win the day, or foil the good guys, so we know it can be done, I just don't know why it isn't used in a more practical and non-lethal way.

Sounds can pick you up, they can lay you low. I was reminded today that it doesn't take much to change your routine. You better believe I am going to be listening for the soft patter of those little feet in the morning, from now on, and doing a lot more research on the amazing power of sound.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(08-02-2020, 09:22 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: It doesn't take much to get the old gears in my head turning. In my world just about everything makes me go, Humm....Today I got stuck on the topic of sounds. Everyone's home has sounds. Those sounds that are so much a part of your home that they are soundless, until something happens and they change. Sounds of the a/c, the water running through the pipes, the fridge that you hear and you don't hear.

My mornings are pretty routine. The dogs have their schedule and I hear them when they wake and move around in their crates. I hear them walk across the wood floors to my room. I even hear them nudge open the door to see if I am up yet.

I was not prepared for the sound that wakened me this morning. Enoch is a kitten, so he still has that sharp kitten screech. He is very verbal so he talks a lot and he is awful, awful, loud!

So imagine waking up because a little critter has stealthily entered your room, climbed into your bed and screamed "Get Up!" directly into your face. I don't think there is an ICD-10 code for the effects this causes.

It motivated to me to learn about sound Feng Shui. This then led me to additional research about sound, and its effect on the human psyche and body. Since hearing is primal and there is no way to turn it off, it has to have a much stronger impact on us than we realize. It is one of our senses that I believe is taken too much for granted, and does not get the attention it deserves, unless our hearing become impaired.

There have been people who have learned to echo locate. Even some who are deaf have the ability to pick up on the vibrations of sound. We have all seen the movies where the sonic weapons win the day, or foil the good guys, so we know it can be done, I just don't know why it isn't used in a more practical and non-lethal way.

Sounds can pick you up, they can lay you low. I was reminded today that it doesn't take much to change your routine. You better believe I am going to be listening for the soft patter of those little feet in the morning, from now on, and doing a lot more research on the amazing power of sound.

It's so true....a song, a voice, a bark, a mew....it can all bring us out of wherever we are and transport us to another place and time, good or bad. We are all such strange and amazing creatures. We are all so nuanced and complex.
internet Agent Provocateur
Sound is utterly fascinating, think about how musical patterns and combinations can literally change your emotions, all those frequencies working together and painting a picture, you don't just hear it, you feel it! When you hear and feel those low sub frequencies in bass heavy music, it can be like an adrenaline release, in nature a low frequency heavy sound would usually be associated with danger etc

My Dog is obsessed with trying to lick my ears and often wakes me up, speed licking my face and laying on my chest. It's annoying but I secretly like it tinybiggrin
I was born with a Thorn in my Soul, sometimes it hurts.

Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak.

- Epictetus

When I took my police training, the academy was on the western end of a community college that was perched on a ridge in the mountains. On the eastern end was a building containing the student lounge for the college. In that lounge was a juke box that was always playing something. There was a deaf guy attending the college, and whenever he went into the lounge he would start dancing in time with whatever song was playing, and that kinda creeped some folks out, because they knew he was stone deaf, and could not hear it. So a young lady asked him about it one day, and his response was that he could feel the music - he was dancing in time with the vibrations of the sound coming from the juke box.

Now me, I've always been hyper sensitive to sound. I can hear things most other people can't. I don't know if it's an actual,hyper-sensitivity, or if I just learned young to concentrate and filter extra sounds out until I got to what I was trying to find and then internalized that habit, or what. Anyhow, I have to sleep in a room full of noise. If I don't I hear every little thing, and every little noise outside the house has to be investigated. Every little noise in the room I'm sleeping in will wake me up and place me on alert. None of that is conducive to a good night's sleep, so I drown out the noises with a TV, or a fan, or a radio, or ANYTHING I can make expected noise with to drown out the unexpected sounds.

I think there is a good chance I can hear things that I can't hear. For example, back when I got back from Nicaragua, I stayed in the woods in WV for several months, away from people. One morning at about 4 AM a cousin and I were sitting in his kitchen drinking coffee and fixing breakfast when I made the observation that there was someone directly behind me, on the other side of the wall. It was 4 am for crying out loud, in the middle of nowhere - who in the hell would be creeping out there at that time? He scoffed, chalked it up to my paranoia, and we went on with life. He pointed out that the only thing on the other side of that wall was a car parked at the house end of the driveway. As soon as it got light enough to see, we went outside, and lo and behold there was a McDonald's bag on the ground by the car's tire, and an ass print in the dew on the fender of it. Someone HAD been there.

I don't know how I knew. I didn't hear anything at a conscious level, I just KNEW. The only thing I can figure is that I picked up on sounds that were below the threshold of regular hearing. It wasn't the first time I just knew, and wouldn't be the last, but he learned to pay attention when I said something was amiss.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-02-2020, 09:38 PM)Moonmagic Wrote: Sound is utterly fascinating, think about how musical patterns and combinations can literally change your emotions, all those frequencies working together and painting a picture, you don't just hear it, you feel it! When you hear and feel those low sub frequencies in bass heavy music, it can be like an adrenaline release, in nature a low frequency heavy sound would usually be associated with danger etc

My Dog is obsessed with trying to lick my ears and often wakes me up, speed licking my face and laying on my chest. It's annoying but I secretly like it tinybiggrin

Back in the 90s when I lived in St. Paul Minnesota, I took the children to the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis.

There was a guy there that was interacting with the children, teaching them about art and sound. This was years ago, before over half the population became germaphobes. All the children were sitting on the floor. He told them he was going to play a sound, and he wanted them to tell him what color it is. I was a bit puzzled about what he was going for, but I stood there like the other adults, puzzled and amused. Until he started playing.

Without a bit of hesitation, the children all called out in unison the same color. I remember as if it was yesterday, they all yelled, "Blue". All the adults looked at each other, now a bit more puzzled. He played another sound and they all yelled, "Black". He played green, red, white, and yellow, and each time the children called out at the same time the same color word. It was amazing and I never forgot it.

Music paints a picture, and paints it in living color, for children, and for the child inside us.

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-02-2020, 10:09 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 09:38 PM)Moonmagic Wrote: Sound is utterly fascinating, think about how musical patterns and combinations can literally change your emotions, all those frequencies working together and painting a picture, you don't just hear it, you feel it! When you hear and feel those low sub frequencies in bass heavy music, it can be like an adrenaline release, in nature a low frequency heavy sound would usually be associated with danger etc

Back in the 90s when I lived in St. Paul Minnesota, I took the children to the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis.

There was a guy there that was interacting with the children, teaching them about art and sound. This was years ago, before over half the population became germaphobes. All the children were sitting on the floor. He told them he was going to play a sound, and he wanted them to tell him what color it is. I was a bit puzzled about what he was going for, but I stood there like the other adults, puzzled and amused. Until he started playing.

Without a bit of hesitation, the children all called out in unison the same color. I remember as if it was yesterday, they all yelled, "Blue". All the adults looked at each other, now a bit more puzzled. He played another sound and they all yelled, "Black". He played green, red, white, and yellow, and each time the children called out at the same time the same color word. It was amazing and I never forgot it.

Music paints a picture, and paints it in living color, for children, and for the child inside us.

That's Beautiful! I wish I could have witnessed that.

Even on the technical side it's true too! When I make Music I have a frequency spectrum open because we need to see the sound as we create and engineer it, each instrument or sound has its place in that spectrum and you have to fill it up just like a painter does a canvas, making sure some colours don't clash, and that others are more dominant. The range for a Human is from 20hz to about 20,000hz, individuals vary slightly, so in Music that is the canvas we work with, but those lower frequencies you feel more than you actually hear.  

Makes you wonder about those inaudible frequencies, how much we are missing out on.

Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak.

- Epictetus

(08-02-2020, 09:52 PM)Ninurta Wrote: When I took my police training, the academy was on the western end of a community college that was perched on a ridge in the mountains. On the eastern end was a building containing the student lounge for the college. In that lounge was a juke box that was always playing something. There was a deaf guy attending the college, and whenever he went into the lounge he would start dancing in time with whatever song was playing, and that kinda creeped some folks out, because they knew he was stone deaf, and could not hear it. So a young lady asked him about it one day, and his response was that he could feel the music - he was dancing in time with the vibrations of the sound coming from the juke box.

Now me, I've always been hyper sensitive to sound. I can hear things most other people can't. I don't know if it's an actual,hyper-sensitivity, or if I just learned young to concentrate and filter extra sounds out until I got to what I was trying to find and then internalized that habit, or what. Anyhow, I have to sleep in a room full of noise. If I don't I hear every little thing, and every little noise outside the house has to be investigated. Every little noise in the room I'm sleeping in will wake me up and place me on alert. None of that is conducive to a good night's sleep, so I drown out the noises with a TV, or a fan, or a radio, or ANYTHING I can make expected noise with to drown out the unexpected sounds.

I think there is a good chance I can hear things that I can't hear. For example, back when I got back from Nicaragua, I stayed in the woods in WV for several months, away from people. One morning at about 4 AM a cousin and I were sitting in his kitchen drinking coffee and fixing breakfast when I made the observation that there was someone directly behind me, on the other side of the wall. It was 4 am for crying out loud, in the middle of nowhere - who in the hell would be creeping out there at that time? He scoffed, chalked it up to my paranoia, and we went on with life. He pointed out that the only thing on the other side of that wall was a car parked at the house end of the driveway. As soon as it got light enough to see, we went outside, and lo and behold there was a McDonald's bag on the ground by the car's tire, and an ass print in the dew on the fender of it. Someone HAD been there.

I don't know how I knew. I didn't hear anything at a conscious level, I just KNEW. The only thing I can figure is that I picked up on sounds that were below the threshold of regular hearing. It wasn't the first time I just knew, and wouldn't be the last, but he learned to pay attention when I said something was amiss.

I am familiar with what you are describing. I was born with some eye problems, and I honestly believe it caused my hearing to be a little better than it should. I always freak out new doctors when they see the frequencies at which I can hear. I can walk into a building and tell you if their alarm system is activated, and in some small businesses, I can't spend more than about five minutes in the place, if they are not willing to turn off their alarm system.

When I was in University, the local drug store owner was super cool. When he saw me come in, he would say wait a minute, and he would run and turn it off for me. What is even more interesting is that I am not alone. I used to be surprised when I would mentioned to owners, that their alarm system is making me sick, and they would say they have had other customers tell them the same thing. So there are quite a few of us out there.

I too like to sleep with a fan for white noise. I had an aunt that could not sleep without the TV being on. For many white noise makes it easier to block out extraneous noises and improves sleep.

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-02-2020, 10:36 PM)Moonmagic Wrote: Even on the technical side it's true too! When I make Music I have a frequency spectrum open because we need to see the sound as we create and engineer it, each instrument or sound has its place in that spectrum and you have to fill it up just like a painter does a canvas, making sure some colours don't clash, and that others are more dominant. The range for a Human is from 20hz to about 20,000hz, individuals vary slightly, so in Music that is the canvas we work with, but those lower frequencies you feel more than you actually hear.    

Makes you wonder about those inaudible frequencies, how much we are missing out on.

I think we have filled our world with so many distractions that we have lost touch with those things that are natural to us on a visceral level and deeper.

I believe we have the ability to be more connected with the planet, and are losing out on some of the healing properties this planet has to offer. People think I am crazy when I go walking in the woods to talk to the trees, but I feel a sense of calm, peace, and joy, that you can only find in nature.

I find it hard to understand why people reject the idea of all things being connected on the planet, when we are all on a little vacuum sealed, round, or oblique ball, spinning around in a vast universe. It is like saying nothing in the oceans are related,but we know better.

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-02-2020, 11:06 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 10:36 PM)Moonmagic Wrote: Even on the technical side it's true too! When I make Music I have a frequency spectrum open because we need to see the sound as we create and engineer it, each instrument or sound has its place in that spectrum and you have to fill it up just like a painter does a canvas, making sure some colours don't clash, and that others are more dominant. The range for a Human is from 20hz to about 20,000hz, individuals vary slightly, so in Music that is the canvas we work with, but those lower frequencies you feel more than you actually hear.    

I think we have filled our world with so many distractions that we have lost touch with those things that are natural to us on a visceral level and deeper.

I believe we have the ability to be more connected with the planet, and are losing out on some of the healing properties this planet has to offer. People think I am crazy when I go walking in the woods to talk to the trees, but I feel a sense of calm, peace, and joy, that you can only find in nature.

I find it hard to understand why people reject the idea of all things being connected on the planet, when we are all on a little vacuum sealed, round, or oblique ball, spinning around in a vast universe. It is like saying nothing in the oceans are related,but we know better.

I don’t think you’re crazy at all. I like to talk to the trees, birds, squirrels, rabbits, and whatever denizen I find in the area I take my walks. I chatted with a caterpillar that I was so happy for it and could hardly wait for it to turn into a butterfly. I talk to butterflies too. I enjoy talking to the birds that are on my feeders. I try to convey to them that they are safe at my home and they can consider it a sanctuary. 

Since my condo is my first home, it “talks” to me at night. I am very aware of every sound of settling, the appliances going on and off, etc. It’s comforting to me, especially since my husband went to a nursing home five months ago. I know I’m not crazy, just very attuned to sounds. I love listening to music. I have several music apps, and like to listen to all different kinds of music. I think sound is an integral part of who we all are.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(08-02-2020, 11:06 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

Couldn't agree more to be honest Nightsky, and I don't think you're crazy for connecting with trees in the woods! there's nothing like feeling the Earth beneath your feet, that distinctive smell out in nature, especially after rain has fallen, the sounds, it all falls into place!

- Epictetus

(08-02-2020, 11:48 PM)ChiefD Wrote: I don’t think you’re crazy at all. I like to talk to the trees, birds, squirrels, rabbits, and whatever denizen I find in the area I take my walks. I chatted with a caterpillar that I was so happy for it and could hardly wait for it to turn into a butterfly. I talk to butterflies too. I enjoy talking to the birds that are on my feeders. I try to convey to them that they are safe at my home and they can consider it a sanctuary. 

Since my condo is my first home, it “talks” to me at night. I am very aware of every sound of settling, the appliances going on and off, etc. It’s comforting to me, especially since my husband went to a nursing home five months ago. I know I’m not crazy, just very attuned to sounds. I love listening to music. I have several music apps, and like to listen to all different kinds of music. I think sound is an integral part of who we all are.

I had to show my Mother your post, and she cracked up. 

She said, well I guess I can stop worrying about you.

My Mother tells people, "My daughter will talk to anything, she even talks to rocks."    tinylaughing

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-02-2020, 09:22 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: It doesn't take much to get the old gears in my head turning. In my world just about everything makes me go, Humm....Today I got stuck on the topic of sounds. Everyone's home has sounds. Those sounds that are so much a part of your home that they are soundless, until something happens and they change. Sounds of the a/c, the water running through the pipes, the fridge that you hear and you don't hear.

AHHH sound and vision, the good old days  minusculebiggrin