Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I ran over our dog Part IV. The visit before the OP.
(07-30-2020, 10:58 PM)Bally002 Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 10:46 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 02:30 PM)hutch622 Wrote: i have never seen an unhappy 3 legged dog and i have seen a few

Ain't it the truth?

@"Bally002", you mind what I said about visiting her.  She will absolutely expect you to take her back home to the pack.  Every damned time you don't ... she won't be able to understand.  I made that as a bad mistake when I was assigned to Schofield Barracks in Hawaii.  Damned Hawaiians make you quarantine your pooch for 6 months.  We visited every chance we got ... and ignorantly made the dog go insane.  We brought him home and it was like he turned feral ... bit me and then he bit my little daughter ... and that was that.  Wife's dog ... she's never forgiven me ... like it was all my fault.

Trust me ... learn from my mistake.  I ain't just blown' smoke mate.

Sorry Snarl, I'm not sure what you mean.  I take your advice very seriously and will continue to do so.  My saying "Ain't it the truth?"  From my perspective, means, I'm agreeing.  Perhaps I should have left the ? mark off.

Of course I trust you and I'm sure you're not blowing smoke if I get the meaning there.  I'm a bit slow on the up take sometimes.  

Apologies if I have said something that's been lost in the translation.  I'm still unsure.

My kindest regards and respect,

Bally

You never should even think of saying, "Sorry" to me mate.  a) My skin's too thick   b) I doubt we'll ever share cross words with one another

My, "Ain't it the truth?" was tacit agreement with what @"hutch622" said before.  Three-legged dogs just love being alive.

Everything after @"Bally002" was for you, my Brother.  I don't want your Girlie coming home in a different state of mind ... and if you keep going to visit her ... and then leave ... you're gonna mess her up.  Better to just leave her in the care of her Doc and pick her up the day she's ready to go home.

I know that sounds pretty harsh, but we're human and understand when we have to stay in Hospital.  Dogs think they're being abandoned.  Do it enough times and she won't be the same.

Cheers,
Snarl
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(07-31-2020, 12:42 AM)ChiefD Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 10:15 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Well after work today 'true love' and I went to the surgery to pay a visit to Girlie.

The staff led us into a room where she was housed in a big pen.  The staff member left and we opened the gate.  Girlie hopped out and greeted us.  Head on our laps and lifting her front paw up for us to pet it.

She snuggled into us on the floor and I gave her the hugs as requested.  She looked good.  Her vigor and color had returned but of course that leg was bandaged up and she couldn't put weight on it at all.  We chatted with her, got licks and chin rubs.  She whined lightly.  It was good to see her again.

Time flew and we had to leave.  Sadly we put her back in her pen , blew kisses and walked out to the Vet who gave us a briefing.  Girlie started whining real loud and yelping from the room we had just left.  Vet said it was good we visited as they had given her 'anti depressants' .  I never knew that.  

She looked good.  My eldest son who lives nearby the surgery will pop in tomorrow morning before her operation.  

Will be thinking of her when I get up tomorrow.

My regards,

Bally:)
Thanks for the update. Thinking of you and Girlie. As others said, within a few weeks/months it will be like it never happened. Happy thoughts and hugs to you.
I'm sure all will be good Chief.  Regards for your reply.

Bally minusculebeercheers
(07-30-2020, 10:23 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 10:16 PM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: Good to read that she is doing good.

For me, I'm dealing with a sick cat.  Still waiting to hear back from the vet as to if they can take him in tomorrow.  Otherwise I'll search elsewhere.  What scares me is that he is at that age of which whatever he has may be his undoing.

@"LookingForABetterLife" 
Sorry to hear this.  Keep us updated.  I'm a huge cat lover.   tinyinbiglove

Good news of sorts as I can take him over to the vet's office first thing in the morning.
If I am not here then I am probably someplace else.
(07-30-2020, 10:47 PM)Bally002 Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 10:16 PM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: Good to read that she is doing good.

For me, I'm dealing with a sick cat.  Still waiting to hear back from the vet as to if they can take him in tomorrow.  Otherwise I'll search elsewhere.  What scares me is that he is at that age of which whatever he has may be his undoing.

Sorry to hear that mate.  Hope your moggy recovers.  We lost one of 2 cats to a snake a little while back. (Name was 'cranky')

So we're left with our current 'cat' as I call him and he follows us and the dogs everywhere even in the bush while working.

I gave girlie another hug for you yesterday.

Kind regards,

Bally

Thank you for your kind words.  The cat in question goes by the nickname "Dog" at times.
(07-30-2020, 10:49 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 10:16 PM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: What scares me is that he is at that age of which whatever he has may be his undoing.

I'm sorry to hear this.  I know it's gotta be tough waiting.  I hope Ol' Tom gets an appointment real quick.

Thanks Snarl.  Since I can take him in to the vet's office in the morning I am hoping that the doctor will look at him then.  Not leave him caged up until he can see him next week.
(07-30-2020, 10:15 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Well after work today 'true love' and I went to the surgery to pay a visit to Girlie.

The staff led us into a room where she was housed in a big pen.  The staff member left and we opened the gate.  Girlie hopped out and greeted us.  Head on our laps and lifting her front paw up for us to pet it.

She snuggled into us on the floor and I gave her the hugs as requested.  She looked good.  Her vigor and color had returned but of course that leg was bandaged up and she couldn't put weight on it at all.  We chatted with her, got licks and chin rubs.  She whined lightly.  It was good to see her again.

Time flew and we had to leave.  Sadly we put her back in her pen , blew kisses and walked out to the Vet who gave us a briefing.  Girlie started whining real loud and yelping from the room we had just left.  Vet said it was good we visited as they had given her 'anti depressants' .  I never knew that.  

She looked good.  My eldest son who lives nearby the surgery will pop in tomorrow morning before her operation.  

My regards,

i have no doubts that she will be chasing you all around the homestead before the end of the year. she sounds like shes got spirit and loves her some bally and family.

don't fret to much, from what you've been telling us about the vets sounds like she's in good hands, and they'll do their best.
So glad your baby is okay. Dogs really are the finest people.
internet Agent Provocateur
(07-31-2020, 03:19 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:

My regards,

i have no doubts that she will be chasing you all around the homestead before the end of the year. she sounds like shes got spirit and loves her some bally and family.

don't fret to much, from what you've been telling us about the vets sounds like she's in good hands, and they'll do their best.
Hi, just a wee update and thanks for your reply.

Seems the surgeons back here can't do the job of amputation due to some problems with her wounds and they need a 'special' tool which only the 'Coffs Harbor' surgery provides for.  On the phone the local vet explained they are concerned for her welfare due to this wound and cannot carry the surgery out due to a perception of blood loss.

To provide for this she will need to be taken back to the coast for surgery next week.  In the interim we can pick her up from home to stay here for about 3 days.

So this late afternoon we will trip back into town and bring her home.

Not much more to add until I speak with the vet face to face.  I will post another thread and some pics.  I want to know what this tool is and I would be willing to buy one for our local surgery if that is required.  I also know why they can't ask one of the other local 5 practices if they can borrow/hire the tool.

I'll get back this evening.

Cheers for now,

Bally.
(07-31-2020, 04:14 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: So glad your baby is okay. Dogs really are the finest people.

Thanks mate. Love our dogs.  Please see my reply to Hounddog.

Kind regards,

Bally.
(07-31-2020, 04:20 AM)Bally002 Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 04:14 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: So glad your baby is okay. Dogs really are the finest people.

Kind regards,

Bally.

That's just wonderful. She'll be so happy to be home safe with her family
internet Agent Provocateur
(07-31-2020, 04:33 AM)Antisthenes Wrote:

Kind regards,

Bally.

Cheers mate,  I'll make sure she is safe as possible over the weekend.  Then round 2 attempt at the amputation next week.

Kind regards,

Bally
(07-31-2020, 05:05 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

Kind regards,

Bally.

Kind regards,

Bally

Cheers mate,  I'll make sure she is safe as possible over the weekend.  Then round 2 attempt at the amputation next week.

Not good news mate but im sure it will work out for the best .  Watching this thread as many are . On a side note my daughter and i kidnapped the the dogs from the ex/current wife's place . 3 dogs , eldest is a kelpy cross with god knows that that was a farm save . You know what i mean there . Next is a camp dog kind of stolen/ found /saved outside of Tennent creek ,fair bit of dingo i suspect and very observant . Last is a German shepard , purebred and quite possibly the smartest dog i have ever seen , if you dont lock/ latch the doors he is through and im talking round doorknobs here . Normal door handles forget about it. lol. Anyhow daughter gets a text , you pinched the dogs again didnt you . Daughter says how do know . Ex says they are asleep all over the place . Yes we might throw the squeaky ball just a little bit . lol.And we save chop bones for them so its never hard to get them in the car .

Good luck girlie , all will be good .
(07-31-2020, 05:25 PM)hutch622 Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 05:05 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

Kind regards,

Bally.

Kind regards,

Bally

Not good news mate but im sure it will work out for the best .  Watching this thread as many are . On a side note my daughter and i kidnapped the the dogs from the ex/current wife's place . 3 dogs , eldest is a kelpy cross with god knows that that was a farm save . You know what i mean there . Next is a camp dog kind of stolen/ found /saved outside of Tennent creek ,fair bit of dingo i suspect and very observant . Last is a German shepard , purebred and quite possibly the smartest dog i have ever seen , if you dont lock/ latch the doors he is through and im talking round doorknobs here . Normal door handles forget about it. lol. Anyhow daughter gets a text , you pinched the dogs again didnt you . Daughter says how do know . Ex says they are asleep all over the place . Yes we might throw the squeaky ball just a little bit . lol.And we save chop bones for them so its never hard to get them in the car .

Good luck girlie , all will be good .

G'day mate, :)  

Woke up to the magpies chortling this morning. (That's always a good sign of fine weather)  Slept in but downstairs on the lounge next to the fireplace.  Girlie slept on the lounge nearby.  Others slept upstairs with 'truey'.

Long day yesterday.  Did a bit of cutting and splitting, burning off etc.  Last day of the haz reduction here.  Need permits now.  True love had the phone and let me know we needed to go into town as the surgeon was unwilling to do the op due to some complications and we were welcome to bring girlie home for a short stay under meds.  

So we tripped into town, bit of a wait.  Girlie was happy again to see us.  Didn't seem in much pain with a splint and bandage around the leg and a full shaved hindquarter.  Got a long lecture by the vet re reasons and how to give her the meds. The doc gave her some pain killers.  I was honestly tired and nearly falling asleep.  Brought her back home, let her sniff around the outside before bringing her inside the doggy welcoming committee.  Other three mutts sniffing, snorting and wagging their tails.  'Cat' sat up on the pool table.  Gave a glance and licked a paw as if 'so whats the fuss about?'

Son made a bed for her on the lounge where she settled with the others around her but had to cover the wounds up as they were more than interested.   

So, a little walk outside before bed, small feed, water and up on the lounge she got.  I woke up occasionally to a licking sound and in the dim light I saw she was just licking her front leg where the catheter was inserted.  This morning she greeted me with a wag of the tail and that's we we are at present.  Waiting for a call to take her to Coffs next week.

Interesting story about your dogs.  They seem to have some history about them.  I lived and worked in N.T. communities for a while as you know and have had interaction with the camp dogs.  10 dogs to every person was the guesstimate. No fur, most riddled with scabies and they ate each other but some good dogs were about.  

Keep in touch.  My planned visit in November has been cancelled due to the Covid thing.

Kind regards,

Some pics of 'girlie' at home.  

She's been very quiet and responsive.  

1.  At rest with the son after coming home.

[Image: Polar-Leg.jpg]

2.  Taking it easy on the lounge where I've been sleeping on the  lounge near her.

[Image: Polar-Leg-2.jpg]

Last night was interesting.  She watched me as I fell asleep after walking her outside for her ablutions.  I watched a couple of movies with her, which is unusual for me as I don't often watch TV.  Fell asleep late.

Sometime during the night while I was in ZZZ land, she got up off the lounge, climbed 2 flights of stairs and woke 'true love' up.  Then down the stairs with 'truey'  and outside for another visit to the front yard.  Truey then helped her back on the other lounge.

Truey told me this morning.  Said I was 'out cold'.  Perhaps it was the late night I think.

Girlie seems to be doing fine and not long ago I took her outside again with the other mutts.  After doing her business she just led me back inside and climbed back onto her spot on the lounge.

She seems in good spirits.  Adjusting to her injuries.  We're keeping her meds up.

Kind regards,

I Happy she is home and I'm sure she is Happy too.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(08-02-2020, 12:18 AM)guohua Wrote: I Happy she is home and I'm sure she is Happy too.

We're all happy including the house pets.  She wags her tail as we walk past the lounge.  Leastways we have her at home until next Thursday. (Sunday morning here)

Kind regards,  Bally

minusculebeercheers
Was it her front, or back leg that has to come off?  I forget.

I'm sure she's happy to be back home.
(08-02-2020, 12:39 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Was it her front, or back leg that has to come off?  I forget.

I'm sure she's happy to be back home.

Her back leg.  The one with the green bandage.  (refer pics) It is wrapped around a splint.  The pink bandage on her front leg is where the catheter was and my son and I took that off yesterday due to her paw becoming swollen.   Looks better now.

Regards,

bally:)