Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Revive Microbes?
This is about Science.

Does anyone think reviving 100 million year old microbes is a good idea?
I don't, even in a Lab.
Quote:Scientists revive microbes from 100 million years ago

I just don't think it's safe, they have lived that long under the Ocean floor and should stay there. JMHO
Quote:Scientists have successfully revived microbes that had lain dormant at the bottom of the sea since the age of the dinosaurs, allowing the organisms to eat and even multiply after eons in the deep.

Their research sheds light on the remarkable survival power of some of Earth's most primitive species, which can exist for tens of millions of years with barely any oxygen or food before springing back to life in the lab.

A team led by the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology analysed ancient sediment samples deposited more than 100 million years ago on the seabed of the South Pacific.

The region is renowned for having far fewer nutrients in its sediment than normal, making it a far-from-ideal site to maintain life over millennia.
The team incubated the samples to help coax the microbes out of their epoch-spanning slumber.

Astonishingly, they were able to revive nearly all of the microorganisms.
Did they Scream,,, It's Alive, It's Alive!!?? [Image: tenor.gif]
[Image: IZjm.gif]
Quote:"We now know that there is no age limit for (organisms in the) sub-seafloor biosphere," he told AFP.
URI Graduate School of Oceanography professor and study co-author Steven D'Hondt said the microbes came from the oldest sediment drilled from the seabed.
"In the oldest sediment we've drilled, with the least amount of food, there are still living organisms, and they can wake up, grow and multiply," he said.
Morono explained that oxygen traces in the sediment allowed the microbes to stay alive for millions of years while expending virtually no energy.
Energy levels for seabed microbes "are million of times lower than that of surface microbes," he said.
Source

Maybe I'm just being Paranoid.  tinybighuh
I mean, What could go wrong and escape the Lab, what is there to fear from Organisms that can survive 100 million years without anything to eat, except each other  tinybiggrin
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Well, if a large area around the locality of Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology  is shutdown I guess we're in for another ride.

I wonder if the 'powers to be' return similar samples from mars whether they would do the same thing.  I guess they would.

My thoughts,

Bally:)
Scientists have no common sense, IMO. 

Do we get to vote on this?   tinysurprised
This sounds like the plot of a sci-fi movie I'd like to watch. tinyfunny
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.