Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Play Ball!
I’m watching one of the first live MLB games of 2020, the New York Yankees vs the Washington Nationals. It’s so nice to watch a live baseball game. Watching 30 year old games got kinda old. It is kinda weird though. No fans in the stands, but the organ at the stadium is still going like there are, and the public service announcer is doing his thing like there are fans in the stands. Nationals just got a home run, and I could still hear cheering, so there’s that. Kind of a baseball parallel universe, LOL! I’ll take what I can get.
My Milwaukee Brewers play tomorrow. 

Of course, I’m worried that even without fans, that some players will get COVID-19. I pray that won’t happen and that everyone stays safe. Play Ball!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
I watched my Football Team lift a Trophy that has eluded them for 30 years last night, in an empty stadium!

It just feels like cruel fate! and it was strange, but was still emotional nonetheless!

I hope we can do it next season and have a real celebration!
If I could rate that twice I would (wait, let me check the manual...). 

I watched the Brew Crew last night in ecstasy (fake game against the CWS). Wife was on the couch and when Yelich came up I just had that "feeling". When he finally cracked it out I walked to the living room and said "finally!". She thought I was talking about the clothes being folded finally, when I told her it was a Yelich Dinger she rolled her eyes and I was at peace with life   tinylaughing tinycool
(07-24-2020, 01:27 AM)Moonmagic Wrote: I watched my Football Team lift a Trophy that has eluded them for 30 years last night, in an empty stadium!

It just feels like cruel fate! and it was strange, but was still emotional nonetheless!

I hope we can do it next season and have a real celebration!

Congratulations on your team winning the trophy! Yeah, I can’t imagine what it was like to do that in an empty stadium.
(07-24-2020, 01:32 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: If I could rate that twice I would (wait, let me check the manual...). 

I watched the Brew Crew last night in ecstasy (fake game against the CWS). Wife was on the couch and when Yelich came up I just had that "feeling". When he finally cracked it out I walked to the living room and said "finally!". She thought I was talking about the clothes being folded finally, when I told her it was a Yelich Dinger she rolled her eyes and I was at peace with life   tinylaughing tinycool

I’m gonna try and watch the Brewers play the Cubbies, 7 PM Eastern tomorrow night. Should be a pretty good game. I dream of the day I can go see them at Miller Park again. Got to see them in June 2019, first time at Miller Park. It was so much fun!
Hmm.  Spectator sports with no spectators.

I hope they resist the temptation to politicize the games.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(07-24-2020, 08:03 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Hmm.  Spectator sports with no spectators.

Cheers

Funny you say that regarding politicizing the games. I posted a similar thread on ATS. Guess what? The overwhelming majority of replies were political in nature. I was so pissed that I contacted a moderator and asked them to either delete those posts or just shitcan the entire thread. If I had known people were going to be like that, I never would have posted on there. I posted in the sports forum, and they turned it all political. I was thinking maybe I won’t post anything on there anymore.
(07-24-2020, 11:29 PM)ChiefD Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 08:03 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Hmm.  Spectator sports with no spectators.

Cheers

Funny you say that regarding politicizing the games. I posted a similar thread on ATS. Guess what? The overwhelming majority of replies were political in nature. I was so pissed that I contacted a moderator and asked them to either delete those posts or just shitcan the entire thread. If I had known people were going to be like that, I never would have posted on there. I posted in the sports forum, and they turned it all political. I was thinking maybe I won’t post anything on there anymore.

You can't mention a single thing these days without someone turning it political! it's fucking infuriating!

We have one more game left this season, and then the new season starts weeks later, that is gonna be strange as hell, but I am actually happy for it, the distraction and something to look forward to each week!

This is us lifting the Trophy in an empty stadium after beating Chelsea 5-3

So strange in an empty stadium ...

For comparison this is us Celebrating our Champions League win last year and singing our Club anthem ...

Strange crazy times!
(07-25-2020, 12:04 AM)Moonmagic Wrote:

Cheers

You can't mention a single thing these days without someone turning it political! it's fucking infuriating!

We have one more game left this season, and then the new season starts weeks later, that is gonna be strange as hell, but I am actually happy for it, the distraction and something to look forward to each week!

This is us lifting the Trophy in an empty stadium after beating Chelsea 5-3

So strange in an empty stadium ...

For comparison this is us Celebrating our Champions League win last year and singing our Club anthem ...

Strange crazy times!

OMG, watched both videos, and got goosebumps and a little verclempt to boot! To me sports should be free of the political bullshit that has infected a large part of our society. Politics just muddies the waters and makes things more angry and sad. Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers

They were playing live football matches (Aussie Rules and Rugby League) here with cardboard cutouts in the stands and actual crowd cheering sound effects.

We were like, "Hey what?"  when we first saw and heard the matches.

Kind regards,

Bally:)
CUBS AND BREWERS! YES!!!

the one advantage of Covid Baseball = no cubs fans driving up from Chicago to invade Miller Park     minusculebeercheers

Glass half full  tinylaughing

Cheers

Chief, yeah, among the spectators (and others), there will always be those who taint the spectacle in one way or another.  Maybe having games with no physical spectators present will be the 'cure' for that ill.  Europe has issues with louts who use the games as an excuse to provoke riots and such.  I have some non-authoritative opinions as to why that aspect manifests, but I'll spare you as it is pure opinion.

I am tired with both the corporations (sports teams etc) and the players themselves for bringing politics into the games.  There is a lot of rich hypocrisy in seeing fans lectured by an extraordinarily privileged segment of society about "the evil of it all".  The teams (corporations) getting behind this activity are IMO purely opportunistic.

You, like I, served in the military.  That experience made clear to us that respect is earned and not a given.  The coaches, the owners . . . have personal relationships with the players.  No doubt, many of those relationships are based upon mutual respect.  But that basis of experience cannot serve as a springboard to make broad-brush assumptions about society at large, or, fans in particular; and then go on to artlessly lecture the public, whether by performance art (refusing to take a knee for the National Anthem) or by rank political advertising (hanging of huge BLM banners outside of sports facilities).  They should be about, as your thread title indicates, "playing ball".  Our country has plenty of people and groups waging ideological warfare as it is.

Cheers

(07-25-2020, 12:24 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

Cheers

They were playing live football matches (Aussie Rules and Rugby League) here with cardboard cutouts in the stands and actual crowd cheering sound effects.

We were like, "Hey what?"  when we first saw and heard the matches.

Kind regards,

Right, Bally.  Next up, both the games and the spectators will be entirely virtual!  And real people will still spill out of bars and brawl in the streets over the outcomes tinylaughing 

Cheers

(07-25-2020, 08:22 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote:

Cheers

Chief, yeah, among the spectators (and others), there will always be those who taint the spectacle in one way or another.  Maybe having games with no physical spectators present will be the 'cure' for that ill.  Europe has issues with louts who use the games as an excuse to provoke riots and such.  I have some non-authoritative opinions as to why that aspect manifests, but I'll spare you as it is pure opinion.

I am tired with both the corporations (sports teams etc) and the players themselves for bringing politics into the games.  There is a lot of rich hypocrisy in seeing fans lectured by an extraordinarily privileged segment of society about "the evil of it all".  The teams (corporations) getting behind this activity are IMO purely opportunistic.

You, like I, served in the military.  That experience made clear to us that respect is earned and not a given.  The coaches, the owners . . . have personal relationships with the players.  No doubt, many of those relationships are based upon mutual respect.  But that basis of experience cannot serve as a springboard to make broad-brush assumptions about society at large, or, fans in particular; and then go on to artlessly lecture the public, whether by performance art (refusing to take a knee for the National Anthem) or by rank political advertising (hanging of huge BLM banners outside of sports facilities).  They should be about, as your thread title indicates, "playing ball".  Our country has plenty of people and groups waging ideological warfare as it is.

Cheers
I like both these posts.  Being ex navy (aircraft armorer) myself so you may appreciate this pic.

[Image: Chips.jpg]

Using my best southern american drawl, "Nows  whens  I  hev  ter  watch  the  ballll game now ats home I likes  tuckin  into  some  Lays Aircraft Carrier Flavored  crisps  and  thens  injoyy mees a so-dee pop. Reeminds me of thems good ole daze.

Kind regards,

Had to look up what Turco was. tinywondering 

Cheers

(07-25-2020, 08:38 AM)Bally002 Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 08:22 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote:

Cheers

Cheers
I like both these posts.  Being ex navy (aircraft armorer) myself so you may appreciate this pic.

[Image: Chips.jpg]

Using my best southern american drawl, "Nows  whens  I  hev  ter  watch  the  ballll game  now ats home  I likes  tuckin  into  some  Lays Aircraft Carrier Flavored  crisps  and  thens  injoyy mees a so-dee pop.  Reeminds  me of  thems good ole  daze.

Kind regards,

Hahahaha! JP5 and turbine exhaust, so funny!  tinybiggrin
(07-25-2020, 12:04 AM)Moonmagic Wrote: [quote pid='47372' dateline='1595629774']
...Strange crazy times!

[/quote]

Well done Jurgen and the lads.

@"Moonmagic" have you been following what Stevie G has been doing at Rangers?

It's pre-season up here and so far we've played Olympic Lyonnais, Nice, Motherwell and Coventry City in friendlies (and Veolia tournament games)... How did it go?

Played 4 Won 4 Scored 10 Conceded 0 !! Veolia trophy in the bag... Lookin' good!
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
@"gordi" 

Thanks Gordi!

I have been following him yeah, he seems dead set to be our Manager one day so I am watching like a Hawk! though I'd keep Klopp forever given the chance lol

After falling apart a bit at the end of last season, I was thinking maybe he will quit? but at the same time that's not him! and I do believe he will have success at Rangers given a bit of time, you can see the improvements! and the pre season has been mad, I never expected that. Take some of that steam into the new season and you guys will be flying!

Managers need time, but everyone wants instant success nowadays, rarely happens! I hope he brings you guys the league!
(07-26-2020, 12:12 AM)Moonmagic Wrote: @"gordi" 

Thanks Gordi!

I have been following him yeah, he seems dead set to be our Manager one day so I am watching like a Hawk! though I'd keep Klopp forever given the chance lol

After falling apart a bit at the end of last season, I was thinking maybe he will quit? but at the same time that's not him! and I do believe he will have success at Rangers given a bit of time, you can see the improvements! and the pre season has been mad, I never expected that. Take some of that steam into the new season and you guys will be flying!

Managers need time, but everyone wants instant success nowadays, rarely happens! I hope he brings you guys the league!

Stevie G IS DA MAN!
The league is ours this year - no doubt.
But he IS still Liverpool at heart and he WILL be your manager once we break him in!!! LOL
GREAT connections between the two clubs with Souness etc... and btw we LOVE Ryan Kent!!! You must have some midfield lineup if you let him go!!
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(07-26-2020, 12:39 AM)gordi Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 12:12 AM)Moonmagic Wrote: @"gordi" 

Thanks Gordi!

Stevie G IS DA MAN!
The league is ours this year - no doubt.
But he IS still Liverpool at heart and he WILL be your manager once we break him in!!! LOL
GREAT connections between the two clubs with Souness etc... and btw we LOVE Ryan Kent!!! You must have some midfield lineup if you let him go!!
G

Didn't Kenny grow up a Rangers fan too? Though he played for Celtic. Liverpool has always had great Scottish connections!
Ryan Kent was impressive for me, you can see the lad has talent, and he seems to be doing well up there! lots of talent we just have to let go, everybody wants to be in the 1st team and nobody wants to be a squad player, it's a hard balancing act! we have some awesome young talent though coming through, Curtis, Williams, Elliot obvious standouts.