Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I ran over our dog.
(07-22-2020, 01:58 PM)Moonmagic Wrote: Oh God, I am sorry! I do hope she has a full recovery and you can spoil her!

I love my Dog more than anything, can't imagine how you feel!

Positive vibes sent Bally!

Wonderful thoughts MM.  Keep your dog close.  

Those vibes have been received and I'll pass them onto 'Girlie' (Polar by birth name.)  Just like a small polar bear.  Very cuddly. I will post a pic when she is back home.

Bally
(07-22-2020, 05:26 PM)guohua Wrote: I Really Hope All Is Ok and we hear good news.

Appreciate your concern Guohua.  The vet rang last night about 9pm.  Gave us some good and sad news.  It's 5.30am here at present and I asked last night if we could visit 'girlie' later today.  Vet was hesitant but nice and said she would ring back 9am today.

Great team at that animal doctors surgery.  All very kind and thoughtful.  I will update in a following post.

Kind regards,

Bally.
(07-22-2020, 06:02 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
Quote:The vet rang and said they are operating tonight as I put these words out.  Prognosis is good.

I thought your story would end with the Vet telling you your dog should be put down. Sounded like it had a lot of damage.
I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Hopefully, your dog will make a full recovery, but it will take time.  Our animals are our family too.

Thanks Mystic.  I know animals can recover very well.  Full recovery may be the best I could wish for but the news from the vet regarding he foot/paw'leg wasn't what I hoped to hear.  Waiting this morning for more news.

Bally.
(07-22-2020, 06:06 PM)TheDoctor46 Wrote:
  • Sorry to hear that. Having a dog myself i can feel your pain. Hope everything works out 

Cheers for your thoughts Doc.  Believe it or not '46' is my lucky number so your post and words gives me a boost.

My regards to you and your dog.

Bally
(07-22-2020, 07:33 PM)Dogstar23 Wrote: Oh my, Bally, I'm so sorry! Wishing her, and your hearts well :(

Touching words, Dogstar.

Presently my heart is working with my brain and being practical and wishing for the best outcome.  Not so my wife and sons who have very generous hearts and felt it bad.  Looking at them later made me feel terrible but my wife held my hand driving home last night saying everynow and then, reassuringly, "It's not your fault mate."

Still, I have guilt in my heart for hurting that kind happy dog.  Hearing her squeal for the first time after she went under the wheel was heart wrenching and I'm sure the ticker missed a few beats.

I'll be happy when I get to hold her close and show my concern into her eyes.

Bally
(07-22-2020, 07:52 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I know you can't believe that anyone can understand the pain you are feeling right now. But I have felt a pain very much like yours more times than I ever wanted too.

I am praying for Girlie, and I am praying for you too.

Prayers are most welcome Nightskye. Very healing. 'girlie' needs them as she is young.  Myself, well I'm praying for welcome news from the vet in about 3 hours.

If the prayers are answered I promise I'll look after girlie for the rest of her or my life.

Thank you

Bally
(07-22-2020, 08:10 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Broke my heart too, @"Bally002". I teared up a bit reading the story, 'cause I love my dogs, and I hate the thought of one of them being hurt. I've owned as many as 17 at one time, and every one was an individual of his or her own.

I've not had one in several years now, since 2015. The last one I had was a 90 pound "mountain cur". Sharp as a tack, and twice as flat-headed. Sonofabitch saved my life once, literally. I was living up in the woods in a trailer by myself in 2003, and one night around 3 am got to choking. Couldn't catch a breath at all, obstructed airway. Couldn't even gasp. Just NO air getting in. I stumbled outside and collapsed in the yard, figuring that was the end of me, and someone might find my body in a week or two. That dumbassed mutt must have thought it was playtime or something, came bounding along and pounced all 90 pounds right into the middle of my upper back, and lo and behold, cleared the obstruction.

He ate steak for a solid week after that.

He came limping back in to home one morning in late 2014, tore all to hell. I reckon he had tangled with a bear, cause he was hard-headed as hell and didn't have no reverse gear to back off from stuff. Deep cut in his shoulder, and the skin hanging open like he'd grown a shirt pocket there. He was crawling and limping something awful. Took him to the vet, got him patched up, and in a few weeks he was good as new. He hated that cone on his head to keep him from licking the wounds, but the vet said he needed it, so on it stayed until there wasn't anything left to lick.

About a year later, he just vanished. POOF! Gone. Never saw him again. I looked all over, high and low, and never found so much as a hair. I have no idea what happened to him. Maybe he went back for a rematch with the bear. I'll never know. I ain't had a dog since. Well, I take that back - I had a young high-energy furball for about a week, but Grace couldn't keep up with her antics, so we gave her back.

Don't beat yourself up. Dogs have a mind of their own, and are going to do what they're going to do. Sometimes, that involves a miscalculation, zigging when they ought to be zagging. It ain't your fault when they do that. It just is.

Here's hoping that girlie pulls through and gives you many more years of the love and loyalty only a dog can give.

.Hello Ninurta,

Very touching story.  Yes, each of our dogs have their own personalities, even the cat.  Have their own special places around us even when working outside.  Sorry to hear your dog disappeared.  Felt the same when one of my old mates fell to a snake bite.  Buried him near the fruit trees with a little statue.

I'm sure at this point 'girlie' will live but with what permanent injuries I can't say at this juncture.  I hoped I haven't injured her happiness here.  Such a beautiful friend she is.

Kind regards,

Bally.  (Will update later this morning.)
(07-22-2020, 08:58 PM)Bally002 Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 07:52 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I know you can't believe that anyone can understand the pain you are feeling right now. But I have felt a pain very much like yours more times than I ever wanted too.

Prayers are most welcome Nightskye. Very healing. 'girlie' needs them as she is young.  Myself, well I'm praying for welcome news from the vet in about 3 hours.

If the prayers are answered I promise I'll look after girlie for the rest of her or my life.

Thank you

Bally

I know that I can Honestly say, Every Rogue Family Member here is Praying and Sending Healing Energies to Poor Little Girlie in our own way.
I am.
We have never owned any pets, I am Scared To Death of size dog. I'm sorry to say.

But we understand how a pet or pets become the same as Family to people.
All our Hopes and Prayers for your Sweet little Girlie.
guohua
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-22-2020, 09:10 PM)guohua Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 08:58 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

Thank you

Bally

I know that I can Honestly say, Every Rogue Family Member here is Praying and Sending Healing Energies to Poor Little Girlie in our own way.
I am.
We have never owned any pets, I am Scared To Death of size dog. I'm sorry to say.

But we understand how a pet or pets become the same as Family to people.
All our Hopes and Prayers for your Sweet little Girlie.
guohua
Nice thoughts there from all.  Uplifting and provides like a heart healing.  Talking about this here is probably the best thing I have done for a long time.  

I think it's the unconditional love and trust that pets extend.  I can only go for a 10 minute drive and return and the doggy wogs welcome me like I've been away for days.  Wagging tails, hopping around, sniffing me out and making those noises dogs only do to my words "Okay, okay, okay, just went up to Bob's and back.  I'm okay.  Crikey!"  

Then there is off course the treats after going to the butcher we always buy a bag of dog bones.  Well, the smile on a dogs face can be discerned.  

Girlie was always patient and would only accept a bone after each other dog got theirs.  Something she figured out herself.  Her soul, always thinking of the others first including the cat.  

And, yes, family to people.  The dogs extend the same welcome to anybody they gauge as not a threat, even the linesman or meter reader.  Can be intimidating to some, I understand.  Touch wood, in all our years the pup dogs have never bitten anyone.  

They are just happy to meet and greet.

Thanks for your reply,

Bally
Best wishes for Girlie and yourself too.
I know how the guilt can feel as several years ago one of my kitties was under my legs as I was walking.  I ended up stepping on her breaking one of her front legs.
If I am not here then I am probably someplace else.
(07-22-2020, 09:53 PM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: Best wishes for Girlie and yourself too.
I know how the guilt can feel as several years ago one of my kitties was under my legs as I was walking.  I ended up stepping on her breaking one of her front legs.

Cheers mate.  I guess as pet owners we all go through guilt when we accidentally hurt our pets.  I sometimes trip over the house cat here early in the morning so I have to tread gingerly when I walk anywhere in the darkness.  

I'm sure 'Cat' as it is known, waits for me to get up then hassles me for a feed by nudging my legs and whining till I fill his bowl up.  Love him to death too as he is very lonely since his brother cat "Cranky" got bit by a snake.  (Sad story there, poor thing).  So 'Cat' is adjusting to life and has become one of the pack and follows us and the dogs around all over the property playing commando and leaping out of cover attacking the dogs then sprinting up a tree to safely sit on a bough and lick it's paws until the 'mutts' lose interest and the process starts again.

Always good for a laugh.

Kind regards,

Bally
(07-22-2020, 11:32 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Hello all,  feeling sad.

Yes, I ran over one of our pet dogs this afternoon.

Before the circumstances I'll share a bit of background of this beautiful dog.  We have 4 dogs.  2 small poodles, charlie and rusty (one eye) and our 2 larger dogs.  One larger dog is a Dal cross, I call 'boof head' (real name bella) and our newest babe was 'polar'.  Now about 2.5 years old.  I nicknamed her girlie.  Polar is a very pretty dog being a Swiss Shepard crossed with a lab retriever.  A larger dog approaching 40 kg's after we had her de-sexed.  She is pure white and the most intelligent.  Having retriever in her blood I guess lends her attention to dropping balls, sticks and whatever at our feet.  Loves playing 'kick a ball' where while we are walking about the property she drops a ball at our feet which is in turn kicked and of course returned.  The game repeats itself.  

So we have had our puppy dogs living with us from nearly 3 years to 12 years.  Charlie oldest, Polar youngest.  Lost an old mate to a snake a couple of years ago. That dog was 12 to 13.  Busted my heart.  Adopted him from the pound in Darwin.  

Well the dogs have their places.  Sleep where ever.  At night the 2 poodles sleep on the foot of the bed and the 2 larger dogs take up position either side on the floor.  All very affectionate and loving.  Can tell they would guard us with their lives.  

We have a larger property and the dogs wait eagerly for us or true love herself coming home from work each day.  I spend most of the day at home cutting wood. They greet the car or truck running around and across the paddock excitedly. 

Well today, true love and I went to do our small bit of morning work in the village followed by a wood delivery in the truck to another village.  We then went into town, did some chores, picked the young fella up from school and returned the 50 kilometres home.   Not to be unexpected the dogs had broken out of the house (polar has worked out how to open sliding doors) and greeted us along the near kilometre winding driveway.  We took a break and gave them some treats and we had a drink  before reloading the truck.  This evening my last chore was to hitch the large recycling bin up and go down the winding driveway and place it on the main road.  The 2 poodles and boof head jumped into the rear of the cab.  True love sat next to me.  Polar or 'girlie' doesn't like riding inside and is quite content to run alongside.  We got to the bottom of the property, hit the main road, dropped the off and turned around.  

On the return drive back to the house uphill, I put some pressure on the pedal due to the load of timber in the rear.  We have a 90 degree bend at one point in the driveway.  Trees on the left and a slope on the right.  As I negotiated this bend, 'true love' said, "Darl!"  Too late.  I heard a thump and that awful sound of a dog squealing.  I pulled up and we both got out.  Poor girlie.  Lying on the side of the driveway bleeding and obviously in pain.  I checked her over.  Both rear legs tender and cut and a large split in her guts.  God...  I lifted her up and placed her in the rear of the cab.  Took her up to the house.  True love rang the vet.  Our youngest bloke was beside himself. (his dog)  Sorry but we left him with the other dogs and drove the 50 kilometres to the vet.

My oldest son met us there and thank goodness he is a large bloke.  He was able to lift her gently out and carry girlie into the op theater.    

It was reassuring to see the vet and a team there.  Girlie was sore and shivering.  Explained to the vet what happened.  The rear of the truck was fully loaded with timber when it ran over her.  The vet and team said they would take care of her.  Of course we had to leave her there and take the return trip home.  The vet rang and said they are operating tonight as I put these words out.  Prognosis is good.

It is now 8.30pm here.  

When your dogs love you unconditionally, you love them back.  I hated seeing girlie in pain.  Such a loving dog.

My regards,

Bally:(

I hope the best for your pet and you and your family.
(07-22-2020, 10:05 PM)Tarzan the apeman. Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 11:32 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Hello all,  feeling sad.

Yes, I ran over one of our pet dogs this afternoon.

Before the circumstances I'll share a bit of background of this beautiful dog.  We have 4 dogs.  2 small poodles, charlie and rusty (one eye) and our 2 larger dogs.  One larger dog is a Dal cross, I call 'boof head' (real name bella) and our newest babe was 'polar'.  Now about 2.5 years old.  I nicknamed her girlie.  Polar is a very pretty dog being a Swiss Shepard crossed with a lab retriever.  A larger dog approaching 40 kg's after we had her de-sexed.  She is pure white and the most intelligent.  Having retriever in her blood I guess lends her attention to dropping balls, sticks and whatever at our feet.  Loves playing 'kick a ball' where while we are walking about the property she drops a ball at our feet which is in turn kicked and of course returned.  The game repeats itself.  

So we have had our puppy dogs living with us from nearly 3 years to 12 years.  Charlie oldest, Polar youngest.  Lost an old mate to a snake a couple of years ago. That dog was 12 to 13.  Busted my heart.  Adopted him from the pound in Darwin.  

Well the dogs have their places.  Sleep where ever.  At night the 2 poodles sleep on the foot of the bed and the 2 larger dogs take up position either side on the floor.  All very affectionate and loving.  Can tell they would guard us with their lives.  

We have a larger property and the dogs wait eagerly for us or true love herself coming home from work each day.  I spend most of the day at home cutting wood. They greet the car or truck running around and across the paddock excitedly. 

Well today, true love and I went to do our small bit of morning work in the village followed by a wood delivery in the truck to another village.  We then went into town, did some chores, picked the young fella up from school and returned the 50 kilometres home.   Not to be unexpected the dogs had broken out of the house (polar has worked out how to open sliding doors) and greeted us along the near kilometre winding driveway.  We took a break and gave them some treats and we had a drink  before reloading the truck.  This evening my last chore was to hitch the large recycling bin up and go down the winding driveway and place it on the main road.  The 2 poodles and boof head jumped into the rear of the cab.  True love sat next to me.  Polar or 'girlie' doesn't like riding inside and is quite content to run alongside.  We got to the bottom of the property, hit the main road, dropped the off and turned around.  

On the return drive back to the house uphill, I put some pressure on the pedal due to the load of timber in the rear.  We have a 90 degree bend at one point in the driveway.  Trees on the left and a slope on the right.  As I negotiated this bend, 'true love' said, "Darl!"  Too late.  I heard a thump and that awful sound of a dog squealing.  I pulled up and we both got out.  Poor girlie.  Lying on the side of the driveway bleeding and obviously in pain.  I checked her over.  Both rear legs tender and cut and a large split in her guts.  God...  I lifted her up and placed her in the rear of the cab.  Took her up to the house.  True love rang the vet.  Our youngest bloke was beside himself. (his dog)  Sorry but we left him with the other dogs and drove the 50 kilometres to the vet.

My oldest son met us there and thank goodness he is a large bloke.  He was able to lift her gently out and carry girlie into the op theater.    

It was reassuring to see the vet and a team there.  Girlie was sore and shivering.  Explained to the vet what happened.  The rear of the truck was fully loaded with timber when it ran over her.  The vet and team said they would take care of her.  Of course we had to leave her there and take the return trip home.  The vet rang and said they are operating tonight as I put these words out.  Prognosis is good.

It is now 8.30pm here.  

When your dogs love you unconditionally, you love them back.  I hated seeing girlie in pain.  Such a loving dog.

My regards,

Bally:(

I hope the best for your pet and you and your family.

My regards to you and yours and appreciate your concern Tarzan.  I will update later today.  Youngest son is still sad. He just went to meet the bus down the track for school.  Very quiet.  Gave him a hug.

Kind regards,

Bally
Bally, I’m so sorry. Prayers she comes through okay and for a full recovery. Hugs.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(07-23-2020, 02:59 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Bally, I’m so sorry. Prayers she comes through okay and for a full recovery. Hugs.

Cheers Chief,  hugs returned from a fellow sailor albeit from another navy many years ago.

Kind regards,

Bally
I hope for the best. Truly sad story. Nothing is worse than hurting a friend. Other than losing them. I know your buddy doesnt blame you. I just hope the best.
(07-23-2020, 06:05 AM)Nomnomine Wrote: I hope for the best. Truly sad story. Nothing is worse than hurting a friend. Other than losing them. I know your buddy doesnt blame you. I just hope the best.

Kind words thanks Nomnomine.  I think we are both feeling sorry.

My regards,
Bally