Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I ran over our dog.
Hello all,  feeling sad.

Yes, I ran over one of our pet dogs this afternoon.

Before the circumstances I'll share a bit of background of this beautiful dog.  We have 4 dogs.  2 small poodles, charlie and rusty (one eye) and our 2 larger dogs.  One larger dog is a Dal cross, I call 'boof head' (real name bella) and our newest babe was 'polar'.  Now about 2.5 years old.  I nicknamed her girlie.  Polar is a very pretty dog being a Swiss Shepard crossed with a lab retriever.  A larger dog approaching 40 kg's after we had her de-sexed.  She is pure white and the most intelligent.  Having retriever in her blood I guess lends her attention to dropping balls, sticks and whatever at our feet.  Loves playing 'kick a ball' where while we are walking about the property she drops a ball at our feet which is in turn kicked and of course returned.  The game repeats itself.  

So we have had our puppy dogs living with us from nearly 3 years to 12 years.  Charlie oldest, Polar youngest.  Lost an old mate to a snake a couple of years ago. That dog was 12 to 13.  Busted my heart.  Adopted him from the pound in Darwin.  

Well the dogs have their places.  Sleep where ever.  At night the 2 poodles sleep on the foot of the bed and the 2 larger dogs take up position either side on the floor.  All very affectionate and loving.  Can tell they would guard us with their lives.  

We have a larger property and the dogs wait eagerly for us or true love herself coming home from work each day.  I spend most of the day at home cutting wood. They greet the car or truck running around and across the paddock excitedly. 

Well today, true love and I went to do our small bit of morning work in the village followed by a wood delivery in the truck to another village.  We then went into town, did some chores, picked the young fella up from school and returned the 50 kilometres home.   Not to be unexpected the dogs had broken out of the house (polar has worked out how to open sliding doors) and greeted us along the near kilometre winding driveway.  We took a break and gave them some treats and we had a drink  before reloading the truck.  This evening my last chore was to hitch the large recycling bin up and go down the winding driveway and place it on the main road.  The 2 poodles and boof head jumped into the rear of the cab.  True love sat next to me.  Polar or 'girlie' doesn't like riding inside and is quite content to run alongside.  We got to the bottom of the property, hit the main road, dropped the off and turned around.  

On the return drive back to the house uphill, I put some pressure on the pedal due to the load of timber in the rear.  We have a 90 degree bend at one point in the driveway.  Trees on the left and a slope on the right.  As I negotiated this bend, 'true love' said, "Darl!"  Too late.  I heard a thump and that awful sound of a dog squealing.  I pulled up and we both got out.  Poor girlie.  Lying on the side of the driveway bleeding and obviously in pain.  I checked her over.  Both rear legs tender and cut and a large split in her guts.  God...  I lifted her up and placed her in the rear of the cab.  Took her up to the house.  True love rang the vet.  Our youngest bloke was beside himself. (his dog)  Sorry but we left him with the other dogs and drove the 50 kilometres to the vet.

My oldest son met us there and thank goodness he is a large bloke.  He was able to lift her gently out and carry girlie into the op theater.    

It was reassuring to see the vet and a team there.  Girlie was sore and shivering.  Explained to the vet what happened.  The rear of the truck was fully loaded with timber when it ran over her.  The vet and team said they would take care of her.  Of course we had to leave her there and take the return trip home.  The vet rang and said they are operating tonight as I put these words out.  Prognosis is good.

It is now 8.30pm here.  

When your dogs love you unconditionally, you love them back.  I hated seeing girlie in pain.  Such a loving dog.

My regards,

Bally:(
(07-22-2020, 11:32 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Hello all,  feeling sad.

Before the circumstances I'll share a bit of background of this beautiful dog.  We have 4 dogs.  2 small poodles, charlie and rusty (one eye) and our 2 larger dogs.  One larger dog is a Dal cross, I call 'boof head' (real name bella) and our newest babe was 'polar'.  Now about 2.5 years old.  I nicknamed her girlie.  Polar is a very pretty dog being a Swiss Shepard crossed with a lab retriever.  A larger dog approaching 40 kg's after we had her de-sexed.  She is pure white and the most intelligent.  Having retriever in her blood I guess lends her attention to dropping balls, sticks and whatever at our feet.  Loves playing 'kick a ball' where while we are walking about the property she drops a ball at our feet which is in turn kicked and of course returned.  The game repeats itself.  

So we have had our puppy dogs living with us from nearly 3 years to 12 years.  Charlie oldest, Polar youngest.  Lost an old mate to a snake a couple of years ago. That dog was 12 to 13.  Busted my heart.  Adopted him from the pound in Darwin.  

Well the dogs have their places.  Sleep where ever.  At night the 2 poodles sleep on the foot of the bed and the 2 larger dogs take up position either side on the floor.  All very affectionate and loving.  Can tell they would guard us with their lives.  

We have a larger property and the dogs wait eagerly for us or true love herself coming home from work each day.  I spend most of the day at home cutting wood. They greet the car or truck running around and across the paddock excitedly. 

Well today, true love and I went to do our small bit of morning work in the village followed by a wood delivery in the truck to another village.  We then went into town, did some chores, picked the young fella up from school and returned the 50 kilometres home.   Not to be unexpected the dogs had broken out of the house (polar has worked out how to open sliding doors) and greeted us along the near kilometre winding driveway.  We took a break and gave them some treats and we had a drink  before reloading the truck.  This evening my last chore was to hitch the large recycling bin up and go down the winding driveway and place it on the main road.  The 2 poodles and boof head jumped into the rear of the cab.  True love sat next to me.  Polar or 'girlie' doesn't like riding inside and is quite content to run alongside.  We got to the bottom of the property, hit the main road, dropped the off and turned around.  

On the return drive back to the house uphill, I put some pressure on the pedal due to the load of timber in the rear.  We have a 90 degree bend at one point in the driveway.  Trees on the left and a slope on the right.  As I negotiated this bend, 'true love' said, "Darl!"  Too late.  I heard a thump and that awful sound of a dog squealing.  I pulled up and we both got out.  Poor girlie.  Lying on the side of the driveway bleeding and obviously in pain.  I checked her over.  Both rear legs tender and cut and a large split in her guts.  God...  I lifted her up and placed her in the rear of the cab.  Took her up to the house.  True love rang the vet.  Our youngest bloke was beside himself. (his dog)  Sorry but we left him with the other dogs and drove the 50 kilometres to the vet.

My oldest son met us there and thank goodness he is a large bloke.  He was able to lift her gently out and carry girlie into the op theater.    

It was reassuring to see the vet and a team there.  Girlie was sore and shivering.  Explained to the vet what happened.  The rear of the truck was fully loaded with timber when it ran over her.  The vet and team said they would take care of her.  Of course we had to leave her there and take the return trip home.  The vet rang and said they are operating tonight as I put these words out.  Prognosis is good.

It is now 8.30pm here.  

When your dogs love you unconditionally, you love them back.  I hated seeing girlie in pain.  Such a loving dog.

My regards,

Bally:(
Hopefully everything works out for the best . No ones fault , its like sometimes dogs seem to get disorientated when around vehicles .
Oh... My best wishes for girlie's fast and full recovery.

Let us know how this turns out to be, Bally.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs really are man's best friend.
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(07-22-2020, 11:47 AM)hutch622 Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 11:32 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Hello all,  feeling sad.

Hopefully everything works out for the best . No ones fault , its like sometimes dogs seem to get disorientated when around vehicles .

Cheers mate.  Thanks.  Bit down on myself.

Bally
(07-22-2020, 12:01 PM)BIAD Wrote: Sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs really are man's best friend.
minusculethumbsup

Thank you Biad. Our dogs are like our children.  Hope girlie will be alright.  Will visit her tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Bally
(07-22-2020, 12:00 PM)Finspiracy Wrote: Oh... My best wishes for girlie's fast and full recovery.

Let us know how this turns out to be, Bally.

Thanks Fin.  Will update first thing tomorrow.

:(
Oh no.
Sorry man.
Broke my heart when we had to put down our old Scottish Border Collie many years ago.
So, I know how you must be feeling.

Sending positive vibes that she'll pull through mate.

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(07-22-2020, 12:03 PM)Bally002 Wrote: Thank you Biad. Our dogs are like our children.  Hope girlie will be alright.  Will visit her tomorrow.

Tough situation for you and your family Bally.  Our pups are just like kids that never grow up.  I hope she's able to pull through.

Love ya, Brother.
Snarl
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
Bally,

Here's wishing for a good outcome for your dog.  I would feel awful as well.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Oh God, I am sorry! I do hope she has a full recovery and you can spoil her!

I love my Dog more than anything, can't imagine how you feel!

Positive vibes sent Bally!
I Really Hope All Is Ok and we hear good news.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Quote:The vet rang and said they are operating tonight as I put these words out.  Prognosis is good.

I thought your story would end with the Vet telling you your dog should be put down. Sounded like it had a lot of damage.
I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Hopefully, your dog will make a full recovery, but it will take time.  Our animals are our family too.
  • Sorry to hear that. Having a dog myself i can feel your pain. Hope everything works out 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8031]
Oh my, Bally, I'm so sorry! Wishing her, and your hearts well :(
I know you can't believe that anyone can understand the pain you are feeling right now. But I have felt a pain very much like yours more times than I ever wanted too.

I am praying for Girlie, and I am praying for you too.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Broke my heart too, @"Bally002". I teared up a bit reading the story, 'cause I love my dogs, and I hate the thought of one of them being hurt. I've owned as many as 17 at one time, and every one was an individual of his or her own.

I've not had one in several years now, since 2015. The last one I had was a 90 pound "mountain cur". Sharp as a tack, and twice as flat-headed. Sonofabitch saved my life once, literally. I was living up in the woods in a trailer by myself in 2003, and one night around 3 am got to choking. Couldn't catch a breath at all, obstructed airway. Couldn't even gasp. Just NO air getting in. I stumbled outside and collapsed in the yard, figuring that was the end of me, and someone might find my body in a week or two. That dumbassed mutt must have thought it was playtime or something, came bounding along and pounced all 90 pounds right into the middle of my upper back, and lo and behold, cleared the obstruction.

He ate steak for a solid week after that.

He came limping back in to home one morning in late 2014, tore all to hell. I reckon he had tangled with a bear, cause he was hard-headed as hell and didn't have no reverse gear to back off from stuff. Deep cut in his shoulder, and the skin hanging open like he'd grown a shirt pocket there. He was crawling and limping something awful. Took him to the vet, got him patched up, and in a few weeks he was good as new. He hated that cone on his head to keep him from licking the wounds, but the vet said he needed it, so on it stayed until there wasn't anything left to lick.

About a year later, he just vanished. POOF! Gone. Never saw him again. I looked all over, high and low, and never found so much as a hair. I have no idea what happened to him. Maybe he went back for a rematch with the bear. I'll never know. I ain't had a dog since. Well, I take that back - I had a young high-energy furball for about a week, but Grace couldn't keep up with her antics, so we gave her back.

Don't beat yourself up. Dogs have a mind of their own, and are going to do what they're going to do. Sometimes, that involves a miscalculation, zigging when they ought to be zagging. It ain't your fault when they do that. It just is.

Here's hoping that girlie pulls through and gives you many more years of the love and loyalty only a dog can give.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(07-22-2020, 12:33 PM)gordi Wrote: Oh no.
Sorry man.
Broke my heart when we had to put down our old Scottish Border Collie many years ago.
So, I know how you must be feeling.

Sending positive vibes that she'll pull through mate.

G

Cheers mate.  I lost my old mate to a snake a couple of years ago.  Tore me up inside and just this year we lost a house cat named "cranky" to another snake.  Very sad.  

Border Collie's are lovely dogs.

My regards,

Bally
(07-22-2020, 12:39 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 12:03 PM)Bally002 Wrote: Thank you Biad. Our dogs are like our children.  Hope girlie will be alright.  Will visit her tomorrow.

Tough situation for you and your family Bally.  Our pups are just like kids that never grow up.  I hope she's able to pull through.

Love ya, Brother.
Snarl

Thanks mate,  We were all a bit numb.  The times our animals make us laugh tends for form a bond in your heart and yes, I guess they are as close as children and being that way I feel I have to look after them and protect them as much as they do for us.

Love you too mate.

Bally
(07-22-2020, 01:22 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Bally,

Here's wishing for a good outcome for your dog.  I would feel awful as well.

Cheers

Regards to you for your thoughts.  Whatever the outcome I hope I can give her a big hug, show how sorry I am for what happened and buy her a new squeaky toy.

Cheers back to you,

Bally