Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
China says U.S. told it to shut its Houston consulate
I read a story that the consulate was doing an outdoor burning of records in Houston. It must have been a big deal because the fire department was called !! Now I know why..
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-c...SKCN24N0UW
Quote:BEIJING (Reuters) - China said on Wednesday the United States had abruptly told it to close its consulate in the city of Houston, a move that Beijing said it strongly condemns, threatening retaliation. 

The United States gave the Chinese side a deadline of three days to close the mission in the Texas city, the Chinese foreign ministry said.   
Relations between the United States and China have deteriorated significantly since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in the Chinese city of Wuhan at the beginning of the year.
“The unilateral closure of China’s consulate general in Houston within a short period of time is an unprecedented escalation of its recent actions against China,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin told a regular news briefing.

“We urge the U.S. to immediately revoke this erroneous decision. Should it insist on going down this wrong path, China will react with firm countermeasures,” he said.
He also said the consulate was operating normally but did not reply to questions about U.S. media reports in Houston on Tuesday night that documents were being burned in a courtyard at the consulate.
"It appears to be open burning in a container within the courtyard of the Chinese consulate facility. It does not appear to be an unconfined fire but we have not been allowed access," Houston fire department chief Samuel Pena was quoted as saying by KTRK [url=https://abc13.co/30z3AGP,]abc13.co/30z3AGP,
an ABC television affiliate.

“We are standing by and monitoring.”
Houston police told FOX 26 bit.ly/3jtalTe that staff there were burning documents because they are being evicted from the building on Friday afternoon.
The two countries have clashed recently over trade, technology, a national security law imposed on Hong Kong and China’s claims in the South China Sea.
Also on Tuesday, the U.S. Justice Department indicted two Chinese nationals for a decade-long cyber espionage campaign in which they were accused of stealing information on weapons designs, drug information, software source code and personal data.  
(07-22-2020, 10:57 AM)727Sky Wrote: Now I know why..
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-c...SKCN24N0UW

Looks like they will be asking the US to close their Consular Offices in Wuhan.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
I would have liked this report better had it read, TEXAS told China to shut its Houston consulate!

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Nothing to worry about.

It's just a friendly marshmallow and hot dog roast  tinybiggrin

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: SIG-Aug-20-2022.png]
(07-22-2020, 04:54 PM)xuenchen Wrote: Nothing to worry about.

tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing tinylaughing
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(07-22-2020, 04:54 PM)xuenchen Wrote: Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for this!
I'm sure the staff had everything under control  tinysure
[Image: Qp0M.gif]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
As expected https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3973231

Quote:Trump administration officials have escalated their public condemnations of China in the last several weeks, with speeches by FBI Director Chris Wray, Attorney General William Barr and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
As expected, China announced the closure of the U.S. consulate in the western city of Chengdu. The move was in retaliation for the U.S. order earlier this week to close the Chinese consulate in Houston, Texas.
The latest dust up between the two biggest economies comes amid allegations of theft of U.S. intellectual property — including by Chinese researchers with military and government connections — for Beijing’s benefit.
“Alongside the eviction of the Houston Chinese Consulate, the risk of the U.S.-China conflict escalating into a “Cold War” is worrying,” said Hayaki Narita of Mizuho Bank.
A speech by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s saying that “securing our freedom from the Chinese Communist Party is the mission of our time” adds to the rhetoric certain to incense Beijing, making it still more difficult for either side to back down, he said.
“And so, while the inevitability of deteriorating US-China relations as a structural feature of our geo-political landscape was never in doubt, the shifts appear to be hastened,” Narita said. 
While I understand the decision. A lot. I fear a conflict with China. Man, my draft card has less than 2 years on it. Don't take me there.
(07-24-2020, 08:44 AM)Nomnomine Wrote: While I understand the decision. A lot. I fear a conflict with China. Man, my draft card has less than 2 years on it. Don't take me there.

I do not want to take anyone there for sure....But.... China's economy is in the tank and America and her allies are not much better off. China needs to have their citizens focus on the evil American empire and not the evil CCP.

I figure they (China) will ram a ship in international waters (9 dash line China claims as their own) or go full out on Taiwan .. The ship thing will cause much consternation and finger pointing along with stern warnings .. The Taiwan scenario will lead to no telling where ??

But.... something is going to happen probably after the election IMO. They do not want Trump in the white house and if Biden and the democrats win China's geopolitical aims will be 50% or more complete.
(07-24-2020, 12:17 PM)727Sky Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 08:44 AM)Nomnomine Wrote: While I understand the decision. A lot. I fear a conflict with China. Man, my draft card has less than 2 years on it. Don't take me there.

I do not want to take anyone there for sure....But.... China's economy is in the tank and America and her allies are not much better off. China needs to have their citizens focus on the evil American empire and not the evil CCP.

I figure they (China) will ram a ship in international waters (9 dash line China claims as their own) or go full out on Taiwan .. The ship thing will cause much consternation and finger pointing along with stern warnings .. The Taiwan scenario will lead to no telling where ??

But.... something is going to happen probably after the election IMO. They do not want Trump in the white house and if Biden and the democrats win China's geopolitical aims will be 50% or more complete.

I do agree with you, mostly,,, but Militarily, China can not take on America's Navy or Airforce. There would be no land battle here or there.
Taiwan is a game piece that China things they Own, but with President Trump in Office they would never make a move to take Taiwan, China should have taken Taiwan when Clinton, Bush or Obama was in Office.
Clinton would have sold Taiwan to China and Bush would have just acted Stupid and Obama would have Help China.

JMHO
(07-25-2020, 03:57 AM)727Sky Wrote:

Very Informative News Video.