Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any Hockey Fans Here?
(07-22-2020, 12:22 PM)Finspiracy Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 02:43 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: McDavid is a human highlight reel, I'm sure you've seen some of him.  Known as McJesus in Edmonton apparently.

Yeah McDavid is the best there is, or at least he used to be. He is just "next level" and then there is all the rest behind him.

PLANdemic cancelled this year's world championships so i just have to munch on some stuff from 2019...

McDavid is an absolute specimen.   It's unreal how he just looks to be on a whole other level than 99% of others, in a league where even the "worst" player is an insane talent.

I will say though, people who said Draisaitl would be nothing without McDavid are nuts, that guy has some of the best hands I've ever seen. 

Nice time to be an Oilers fan for sure.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(07-22-2020, 04:52 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: McDavid is an absolute specimen.   It's unreal how he just looks to be on a whole other level than 99% of others, in a league where even the "worst" player is an insane talent.

I will say though, people who said Draisaitl would be nothing without McDavid are nuts, that guy has some of the best hands I've ever seen. 

Nice time to be an Oilers fan for sure.

Yeah. I have seen Draisaitl play in the world champs for team Germany. Not many McDavids there huh? And he is talented and dangerous. Every shift.

Let's hope Oilers can rebuild their dynasty that once was!
(07-22-2020, 12:22 PM)Finspiracy Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 02:43 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: McDavid is a human highlight reel, I'm sure you've seen some of him.  Known as McJesus in Edmonton apparently.

Yeah McDavid is the best there is, or at least he used to be. He is just "next level" and then there is all the rest behind him.

PLANdemic cancelled this year's world championships so i just have to munch on some stuff from 2019...

Yup, you're a true fan, watching the replay games.  I've been doing the same.  About a month into having no hockey I watched the Flyers-Bruins playoff series when the Flyers were down 3 games to 0.  The Flyers won the next 3 to tie the series, then they were losing 3-0 in game 7, then mounted a comeback and won the series.  Gives me goosebumps when I even think about it  tinycool
Habs 1 Penguins 0 (Thank Carey Price for that one, to be honest)

Second game tonight, same line up.

Go Habs Go !!!
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(08-04-2020, 12:20 AM)Sol Wrote: Habs 1 Penguins 0 (Thank Carey Price for that one, to be honest)

Go Habs Go !!!

It's been pretty good hockey so far, a little sloppy, but that's to be expected.  I'm hoping the intensity ramps up, maybe we'll see it as the playoffs progress and some heated rivalries meet.

I'm definitely rooting for the Habs in that series as a Flyers fan, GOD I hate the penguins.
(08-04-2020, 07:27 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 12:20 AM)Sol Wrote: Habs 1 Penguins 0 (Thank Carey Price for that one, to be honest)

Go Habs Go !!!

It's been pretty good hockey so far, a little sloppy, but that's to be expected.  I'm hoping the intensity ramps up, maybe we'll see it as the playoffs progress and some heated rivalries meet.

I'm definitely rooting for the Habs in that series as a Flyers fan, GOD I hate the penguins.

That one didn't go as well. Series tied 1 -1. Next game tomorrow. Fingers crossed.. :)
Let me get this straight now.

So NHL skipped regular season altogether? How did they decide what teams will play against each other? Or what teams even make it to playoffs?
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(08-05-2020, 02:10 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: Let me get this straight now.

So NHL skipped regular season altogether? How did they decide what teams will play against each other? Or what teams even make it to playoffs?

There were about 13 games or so left in the regular season, so they went with a round Robin determining the top 4 teams from the western and eastern conference to play a pool of games against each other to determine seeding.  So the top 4 play against each other, seeding is determined by points from wins and ties.

The qualifying round are the lower seeded teams, an additional 8 teams from each conference, play a best of 5 series to determine who gets into the traditional stanley cup playoffs, which will be best of 7.

I think it's a fair compromise to the teams that were at 9 and 10 on the seeding charts, they could have gotten into the playoffs in those remaining 13 games, it usually comes down to the last game. I remember the Flyers got into the playoffs one year after winning a shootout in the final game of the season. That year they went to the Stanley Cup Finals, but lost in 6 to a pretty stacked Blackhawks team.
Game 3 tonight. Go Habs Go !!!! Calisse Tabarnak.... (do not try to translate this - typical Quebec curse words LOL)

minusculebeercheers
(08-05-2020, 08:11 PM)Sol Wrote: Game 3 tonight. Go Habs Go !!!!  Calisse Tabarnak....  (do not try to translate this - typical Quebec curse words LOL)

minusculebeercheers

Yeah I had to look it up LOL, very colorful, also many meanings to it apparently.

Good game so far, tied at 3 heading into the 3rd.  I don't watch the Habs often, but in these few sample games I've seen them hang Price out to dry a few times.  He's an awesome goalie, and has been for a long time, but any goalie needs support from the defense and center on those unavoidable rebounds. 

The Flyers did that for damn near a decade, which is why they went nowhere come playoff time, if they even made it in.  

Philly sports media is notoriously brutal, but most of the self-titled hockey experts don't know what they're talking about.  They blamed the decade-long carousel of goalies for the Flyers' performance.  There's no such thing as a bad goalie in the NHL, they're there for a reason.

A lot of times, when you watch the replay of a goal, you'll see that guy coasting to the net instead of skating, or you'll see that defenseman just standing there puck watching instead of picking up the open guy next to him.  A lot of that comes down to coaching, but I will say, you're more likely to see a bad defenseman in the NHL than a bad goalie.
Hell yeah Habs, fuck those penguins!
What a come back!! Go Habs Go !!

The Penguins certainly didn't see that one coming tinylaughing

Tomorrow night is the night!!!

minusculebeercheers
(08-06-2020, 11:40 PM)Sol Wrote: What a come back!! Go Habs Go !!

The Penguins certainly didn't see that one coming   tinylaughing

minusculebeercheers

minusculebeercheers 

I just googled Habs lineup, and i see some Finnish players there. Now i am with you, hoping that Habs gonna win, and win BIG!

Did i mention minusculebeercheers  already? You can have some of mine if you don't have any! Do you remember Patrick Roy? I liked the style he guarded his territory!!!!!
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(08-07-2020, 02:54 PM)Finspiracy Wrote:

minusculebeercheers

minusculebeercheers g

I just googled Habs lineup, and i see some Finnish players there. Now i am with you, hoping that Habs gonna win, and win BIG!

Did i mention minusculebeercheers  already? You can have some of mine if you don't have any! Do you remember Patrick Roy? I liked the style he guarded his territory!!!!!

That name brings back some memories.  Bob Hartley, when he coached the Avalanche, their AHL affiliate was the Hershey Bears, so he ran a high intensity camp for kids in Colorado and Hershey, PA.  By far the best camp I went to, it was amazing how much skating improved in a week.

He would also bring a few NHLers each year, I had the pleasure of meeting Patrick Roy and Alex Tanguay.

minusculebeercheers

I can't wait for that game, go Habs!
LOL good shit Habs, bye bye shittsburgh!
(08-07-2020, 02:54 PM)Finspiracy Wrote:

minusculebeercheers

minusculebeercheers 

Patrick Roy is one of the great ones. But my all time favorite is still Ken Dryden. I like Price too... :)
(08-07-2020, 11:35 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: LOL good shit Habs, bye bye shittsburgh!

[Image: jtdNrw4.gif]

One down. GO HABS GO !!!

[Image: CP2ujQx.png]

minusculeguzzlingbeer
(08-08-2020, 09:43 PM)Sol Wrote:

One down. GO HABS GO !!!

minusculeguzzlingbeer

Welp @Sol looks like our teams are meeting in the first round, Canadiens vs. Flyers!

Should be a good one, both teams are heading in with a lot of confidence.  Canadiens knocked off the penguanos and the Flyers went undefeated against the top teams in the conference.

Might come down to a goalie showdown, the experienced Price vs. the up and coming Hart.
(08-09-2020, 04:15 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 09:43 PM)Sol Wrote:

One down. GO HABS GO !!!

minusculeguzzlingbeer

Welp @Sol looks like our teams are meeting in the first round, Canadiens vs. Flyers!

Should be a good one, both teams are heading in with a lot of confidence.  Canadiens knocked off the penguanos and the Flyers went undefeated against the top teams in the conference.

Might come down to a goalie showdown, the experienced Price vs. the up and coming Hart.

To be honest, the Flyers are a superior team but as you say, the goalies may make all the difference in the world but still, Price alone can't win.

Looking forward to it though..

Cheers minusculebeercheers