Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jeff Sessions loses comeback bid in Alabama runoff
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/50...ama-runoff
Quote:Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions failed in his bid to reclaim his old Senate seat after losing to former Auburn University football coach Tommy Tuberville in the Alabama GOP runoff on Tuesday. 
Tuberville was leading Sessions 63 percent to 37 percent with 35 percent of precincts reporting, according to The Associated Press.
The former football coach will go on to face Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.) in November. Jones is considered the most vulnerable Democrat facing reelection in 2020 in a race The Cook Political Report rates as "Lean Republican."
The runoff comes months after the state's Republican primary in March, when neither Sessions nor Tuberville cleared a majority.  
Sessions congratulated Tuberville in a speech.

I had wondered how this would play out after Trump endorsed T. Tuberville.. Wonder no more ... minusculebeercheers
(07-15-2020, 06:42 AM)727Sky Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/50...ama-runoff
Quote:Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions failed in his bid to reclaim his old Senate seat after losing to former Auburn University football coach Tommy Tuberville in the Alabama GOP runoff on Tuesday. 
Tuberville was leading Sessions 63 percent to 37 percent with 35 percent of precincts reporting, according to The Associated Press.
The former football coach will go on to face Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.) in November. Jones is considered the most vulnerable Democrat facing reelection in 2020 in a race The Cook Political Report rates as "Lean Republican."
The runoff comes months after the state's Republican primary in March, when neither Sessions nor Tuberville cleared a majority.  

I had wondered how this would play out after Trump endorsed T. Tuberville.. Wonder no more ... minusculebeercheers

I missed the reason why Sessions and Trump fell apart. Care to break it down for me ?
(07-15-2020, 09:08 AM)MarioOnTheFly Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 06:42 AM)727Sky Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/50...ama-runoff

I missed the reason why Sessions and Trump fell apart. Care to break it down for me ?
It seems it was all about the recusal and all the do nothings he did when in the administration. My opinion...

Sessions decided his job as Attorney General was to keep his office chair from flying off into space. In other words, all he did was use his ass as a seat cover polishing cloth.

He let the whole state down. I was crowing all over ATS about Sessions being "a bulldog with gator teeth." I expected him to accomplish great things as US AG like he did as Alabama's AG. Instead, he did nothing... absolutely nothing. That felt like he just kicked the whole state in the jewels.

In the Primary, I voted for Tuberville, mainly because of Sessions. I couldn't support Judge Roy this time, since Judge Roy laid down and rolled over last time around. He's the reason Jones got in there.

I'll admit, I was torn today when I voted. Sessions let me down as AG, but he did pretty good before that as Senator. Tuberville talks the talk, but he also has this habit of state-jumping that I don't like one bit. I think the clincher was last night: I got a phone call from the Tuberville campaign with a recorded session between him and Donald Trump. Trump, at least in that session, strongly advised against Sessions and strongly supported Tuberville.

I don't always listen to who Trump wants... I make up my own mind... but with both of them having potential black spots on their record, that made the difference for me. I voted Tuberville. I hope he turns out to support Alabama, even over the GOP. I don't just want a conservative in office; I want a conservative who thinks, not a puppet for either side.

The way the race played out (Tuberville over Sessions almost 2:1), my biggest worry about Tuberville being able to oust that disgraceful excuse for intelligent life named Doug Jones is mostly alleviated. That's the real issue right now: get Jones out of office (and as far as I'm concerned, out of the damn state... we don't need his elitist, lying ass here using up perfectly good oxygen and stinkin' up the state).

TheRedneck
(07-15-2020, 11:10 AM)TheRedneck Wrote:

Sessions decided his job as Attorney General was to keep his office chair from flying off into space. In other words, all he did was use his ass as a seat cover polishing cloth.

He let the whole state down. I was crowing all over ATS about Sessions being "a bulldog with gator teeth." I expected him to accomplish great things as US AG like he did as Alabama's AG. Instead, he did nothing... absolutely nothing. That felt like he just kicked the whole state in the jewels.

In the Primary, I voted for Tuberville, mainly because of Sessions. I couldn't support Judge Roy this time, since Judge Roy laid down and rolled over last time around. He's the reason Jones got in there.

I'll admit, I was torn today when I voted. Sessions let me down as AG, but he did pretty good before that as Senator. Tuberville talks the talk, but he also has this habit of state-jumping that I don't like one bit. I think the clincher was last night: I got a phone call from the Tuberville campaign with a recorded session between him and Donald Trump. Trump, at least in that session, strongly advised against Sessions and strongly supported Tuberville.

I don't always listen to who Trump wants... I make up my own mind... but with both of them having potential black spots on their record, that made the difference for me. I voted Tuberville. I hope he turns out to support Alabama, even over the GOP. I don't just want a conservative in office; I want a conservative who thinks, not a puppet for either side.

The way the race played out (Tuberville over Sessions almost 2:1), my biggest worry about Tuberville being able to oust that disgraceful excuse for intelligent life named Doug Jones is mostly alleviated. That's the real issue right now: get Jones out of office (and as far as I'm concerned, out of the damn state... we don't need his elitist, lying ass here using up perfectly good oxygen and stinkin' up the state).

TheRedneck

And the recusal ? do you hold it against him or its just his overall job performance ?
(07-15-2020, 11:31 AM)MarioOnTheFly Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 11:10 AM)TheRedneck Wrote:

TheRedneck

And the recusal ? do you hold it against him or its just his overall job performance ?

His recusal was pretty much his entire job performance. What else did Sessions do besides recuse himself? I can't think of anything.

Alabama may be known for our corrupt politics (we did hire Governor James "Big Jim" Folsom - the "honest crook"), but we do expect our politicians to do more than sit there like a bump on a log. The idea was to drain the swamp, and it seems we have just drained at least one of those swamp critters.

TheRedneck
(07-15-2020, 11:56 AM)TheRedneck Wrote: His recusal was pretty much his entire job performance. What else did Sessions do besides recuse himself? I can't think of anything.

Alabama may be known for our corrupt politics (we did hire Governor James "Big Jim" Folsom - the "honest crook"), but we do expect our politicians to do more than sit there like a bump on a log. The idea was to drain the swamp, and it seems we have just drained at least one of those swamp critters.

TheRedneck

When Trump appointed him, I remember the republicans were all full of praise for him. I'm not in the know about how much he did while he was in this position so I'll take your word on that. 

Thinking about him recusing from the Russia case...was it legally correct ? I know if I were Trump I wouldnt like it of course, but...did he have a choice ?
(07-15-2020, 12:02 PM)MarioOnTheFly Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 11:56 AM)TheRedneck Wrote: His recusal was pretty much his entire job performance. What else did Sessions do besides recuse himself? I can't think of anything.

TheRedneck

When Trump appointed him, I remember the republicans were all full of praise for him. I'm not in the know about how much he did while he was in this position so I'll take your word on that. 

Thinking about him recusing from the Russia case...was it legally correct ? I know if I were Trump I wouldnt like it of course, but...did he have a choice ?

The recusal itself was probably legally correct, since he was so involved with the campaign. The problem came with the fact that everything that happened afterward, including several things that Sessions' recusal should not have mattered in, were tied back to the recusal. Had Sessions fought that, I would be much more forgiving. Had Sessions tried to conduct investigations into the tons of questionable actions taken by those around him, I would likely have been more forgiving. But he did nothing, leaving Trump to fight all by himself against an obviously corrupt political machine.

Donald Trump tends to knee-jerk, especially when attacked. That's a personality flaw that I am well aware of, and it is the main reason he is known for firing people. That means that it is completely possible he fired Sessions in such a knee-jerk reaction to something that we were not privy to. Had that happened, he would likely have forgotten all about the issue by now and not have been so anti-Sessions. The fact that he still has such concerns after all this time tells me that Sessions' firing was not a knee-jerk reaction and thus was probably well-deserved.

None of us know what exactly goes on in the DoJ. It is secretive for a reason. So I guess I needed that recommendation from Trump to let me know that there wasn't something happening that I just wasn't seeing. Sessions really was just resting on his laurels.

TheRedneck
(07-15-2020, 12:42 PM)TheRedneck Wrote: None of us know what exactly goes on in the DoJ. It is secretive for a reason.

Don't write 'em any excuses, Redneck.  It's the DoJ ... and extreme measures should be in place to produce transparency.  Only redactions should be a tell ... not stalling, or ignoring, or any other non-sense means of resistance.

Sessions was a career politician.  The bastard did what he did, because that's exactly what he wanted to do.  And, he did it exactly the way it was planned.  Sessions hamstrung President Trump and that little fuckin' weasel Rosenstein stabbed him in the kidneys.

ETA:  No fan of Trump here.  I was glad to see a 3d Party candidate ... and I truly enjoyed watching him ridicule the 'strong' majority of GOP candidates during his ascension.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
@"Snarl" 

Quote:ETA:  No fan of Trump here.  I was glad to see a 3d Party candidate ... and I truly enjoyed watching him ridicule the 'strong' majority of GOP candidates during his ascension.

I think a thread on Trump and what people think of him would be an interesting read.

I am not into political personalities.  "Action, not words".  Yes, it was refreshing to see someone from outside of the "system" come in and clean up.  The 2016 election, and what we're seeing of the DNC action for 2020 . . . is a stunning indictment of the corruption and incompetence of the political party system.  And that, much more than any single candidate IMO, spells trouble for the Republic.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(07-15-2020, 01:51 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"Snarl" 

Quote:ETA:  No fan of Trump here.  I was glad to see a 3d Party candidate ... and I truly enjoyed watching him ridicule the 'strong' majority of GOP candidates during his ascension.

I think a thread on Trump and what people think of him would be an interesting read.

I am not into political personalities.  "Action, not words".  Yes, it was refreshing to see someone from outside of the "system" come in and clean up.  The 2016 election, and what we're seeing of the DNC action for 2020 . . . is a stunning indictment of the corruption and incompetence of the political party system.  And that, much more than any single candidate IMO, spells trouble for the Republic.

Cheers

We'll probably make it to 2024.  I have high hopes for an actual 3d party platform that droves of people will flock to.  I think that's got more of a chance than a resurrection of ATS. -chuckle. Anyway, I'm doing what I can.

People think it takes a long time to clear the swamp.  They openly say that ... while not admitting they're part of it.  I say the swamp can be drained in less than an hour.  The clean-up could take a few weeks to a couple of years.  But ... that's why they call 'it' work.  You let me get into a position of raw power, and law will be suspended.  That's all it really takes.  That ... and making people understand you're doing the right things ... just as if the law were still in place.  Not the parts of law that protect the swamp creatures from persecution.

For example, I believe in due process.  I also believe the law on due process needs to be re-written (over and over and over again until we get it right) ... so that it cannot protect 'the guilty'.  This "innocent until proven guilty" BS.  The truth is, sometimes an egg does get broken.  The other truth is, you can't be so scared (fear) of a false accusation you'll do anything to avoid it.  Somebody levies an accusation ... let them, their family, and their entire social circle face ten times the punishment should the accusation not stand up in a court of law.  Let them face seven years in the Arena.  Action ... not words. -grin
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(07-15-2020, 12:55 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 12:42 PM)TheRedneck Wrote: None of us know what exactly goes on in the DoJ. It is secretive for a reason.

Don't write 'em any excuses, Redneck.  It's the DoJ ... and extreme measures should be in place to produce transparency.  Only redactions should be a tell ... not stalling, or ignoring, or any other non-sense means of resistance.

Sessions was a career politician.  The bastard did what he did, because that's exactly what he wanted to do.  And, he did it exactly the way it was planned.  Sessions hamstrung President Trump and that little fuckin' weasel Rosenstein stabbed him in the kidneys.

ETA:  No fan of Trump here.  I was glad to see a 3d Party candidate ... and I truly enjoyed watching him ridicule the 'strong' majority of GOP candidates during his ascension.

Not really an excuse... more of a reason.

When I say the DoJ has to be secretive, I'm talking comparatively. The last thing I want is to see a case of corruption go unpunished because the evidence got tainted or because someone found out what was going on in time to hide their dirty deeds. I want to see results rather than every dirty little detail... save those for tricking the indicted into incriminating themselves in front of a jury.

The problem with Sessions was, there were never any results... just excuses.

As for his history, he was initially a prosecutor, and a damn good one. Sessions, while Alabama AG, would go after anyone no matter how much political power they had. He was the first one to hang the KKK on the end of a legal rope, and is considered the man who put them down like the dogs they are in Alabama, right at the time when they were most powerful. Now, maybe he turned into a career politician... I'll grant you that. Personally, I think he just got complacent and lazy. Problem is, he got complacent and lazy right when he was most needed. He should have stepped down and let someone else come in and clean house as soon as he realized he couldn't handle things himself. No one here would have had a major problem with that and he could have had his Senate seat back.

TheRedneck

Tommy Tubersteak... And to think, as an LSU fan, I used to hate him when he was the coach of one of our conference rivals... 

For the record, I stopped hating him a long time ago when he left Auburn. I'm glad to see him back on the winning side of things, hopefully it continues. 

The biggest question will be how long before the liberal NCAA forfeits Auburn's seasons from 1999 to 2008 when the republican was their head coach.
The Goonies R good enough
(07-15-2020, 06:42 AM)727Sky Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/50...bama-runof

never cared much for sessions, always saw him as a mealy mouth sawed off weasel.
but that tuperville is a snake in the grass whose hand will be out from the get go. only good thing about it is if he does win the seat, the veterans in DC
will bitch slap that arrogant full of himself pompous ass, and show him that he's not dealing with a bunch of teenage or twenty something whiny crybaby athletes who will tremble with fear when he opens his mouth.

Cheers

I've never made a secret of what I think of Donald Trump. He's a New York real estate tycoon... too much ego, about as politically incorrect as you can get, used to getting his own way, and a Yankee to boot. If I were to try and sit down to have a talk over a beer with him, he'd probably have me hating his guts within 10 minutes.

And that is exactly why I support him. That's why a couple of years ago I supported Judge Roy Moore for Senate. I didn't particularly like Judge Roy for a Senator... but I knew he would turn every progressive within 100 miles of DC bald from pulling out their own hair! I was really wanting to see Maxine Waters' head literally explode the first time he walked into the Senate chambers.

The status quo has gone far, far beyond the pale. Government corruption is so bad and so intertwined that politicians aren't even trying to hide it! Why should they? The law doesn't apply to them. Every single one who has cried "He's not above the law!" are themselves actually above the law. So to my thinking, we need someone who can completely turn the government upside down, destroy that status quo, and make all the swamp critters show their true colors. Donald Trump has done just that.

I was hoping he could do the job in four years... nope, not so much. It's going to take eight at least. I really wish we could have someone more genteel in the office, but it's not possible to have both brash arrogance and genteel at the same time. So I am going with the brash arrogance to clean out the problems, then we can get to the genteel. Hopefully by 2024... depends on how far the DNC melts down by then.

In the meantime, we're getting a few things we needed: a better economy, better trade deals, a southern border wall, more respect from other countries... even though that last one may come at the loss of some adoration. I'll take respect over adoration any day.

TheRedneck
(07-15-2020, 02:39 PM)LSU2018 Wrote:

Tommy Tubersteak... And to think, as an LSU fan, I used to hate him when he was the coach of one of our conference rivals... 

For the record, I stopped hating him a long time ago when he left Auburn. I'm glad to see him back on the winning side of things, hopefully it continues. 

The biggest question will be how long before the liberal NCAA forfeits Auburn's seasons from 1999 to 2008 when the republican was their head coach.

Dude... I'm a Tide fan! You don't think it was hard to vote for an Auburn coach?

Took three cartons of smokes and a case of PBR to get that done...

TheRedneck
(07-15-2020, 02:54 PM)TheRedneck Wrote: Dude... I'm a Tide fan! You don't think it was hard to vote for an Auburn coach?

Took three cartons of smokes and a case of PBR to get that done...

TheRedneck

Yeah I thought about you when I was writing my post, lol.
The Goonies R good enough

Cheers

Right here: Trump
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]