Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
USS Bonhomme Richard Catches Fire at San Diego Navy Base, 21 Injured
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...424436002/

Earlier today, the USS Bonhomme Richard caught fire in San Diego. It was undergoing routine maintenance when the fire started. There was at least one, possibly two explosions. 

I have a friend who lives very near by and knows a civilian contractor there. Scuttlebutt says it could have been a welding accident. Also, the fire has engulfed the ship, and it cannot be saved. It sounds like they will just let the ship burn to the waterline. There were way less Sailors onboard than there normally would be. My prayers are out to all those injured.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(07-13-2020, 02:32 AM)ChiefD Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...424436002/

Earlier today, the USS Bonhomme Richard caught fire in San Diego. It was undergoing routine maintenance when the fire started. There was at least one, possibly two explosions. 

I have a friend who lives very near by and knows a civilian contractor there. Scuttlebutt says it could have been a welding accident. Also, the fire has engulfed the ship, and it cannot be saved. It sounds like they will just let the ship burn to the waterline. There were way less Sailors onboard than there normally would be. My prayers are out to all those injured.

I'm thinking some sailor was out late last night and had to show up for a shift all hungover and fucked something up this morning.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(07-13-2020, 02:32 AM)ChiefD Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...424436002/

Third hand knowledge isn't always correct, but much appreciated. A lot of discussion over on the other board, but you presented a nice tid-bit here, thanks.
(07-13-2020, 03:20 AM)kdog Wrote:

I'm thinking some sailor was out late last night and had to show up for a shift all hungover and fucked something up this morning.

God, I hope that isn’t the case! There will be lots of investigations and someone will take a fall for this. I’m just relieved there weren’t any major injuries or deaths.
It does sound like a fire started by wielding.
I've heard of this happening before. It would depend on where they were wielding and how experienced the wielder was, those areas can be dangerous because of oil other lubricants and wireering and installation.

Just My 2 cents.
I hope everyone is ok.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Bump and Update.

Quote:SAN DIEGO (AP) — A fire suppression system was inoperable when a blaze erupted aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego, so sailors fought the blaze with water, a top Navy official said Monday.

Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck said the Halon gas system had been turned off because it was being worked on while the amphibious assault ship was undergoing maintenance work.

The fire erupted Sunday morning and continues to burn. It broke out in a lower cargo area where cardboard and drywall supplies were stored and firefighters initially fought it with water until they had to withdraw, Sobeck said. Halon is a liquefied compressed gas that disrupts the chemical process of a fire.

At least 57 people were treated for heat exhaustion, smoke inhalation and minor injuries. Five remained in hospitalized under observation.
Sobeck said fire had spread throughout the ship Monday.

The flames were burning plastic, cabling and other material but there was still a buffer of about two decks between the fire and fuel supplies.
Source

[Image: 1000.jpeg]
(07-13-2020, 11:19 PM)guohua Wrote: Bump and Update.

Quote:SAN DIEGO (AP) — A fire suppression system was inoperable when a blaze erupted aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego, so sailors fought the blaze with water, a top Navy official said Monday.

Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck said the Halon gas system had been turned off because it was being worked on while the amphibious assault ship was undergoing maintenance work.

The fire erupted Sunday morning and continues to burn. It broke out in a lower cargo area where cardboard and drywall supplies were stored and firefighters initially fought it with water until they had to withdraw, Sobeck said. Halon is a liquefied compressed gas that disrupts the chemical process of a fire.

At least 57 people were treated for heat exhaustion, smoke inhalation and minor injuries. Five remained in hospitalized under observation.
Sobeck said fire had spread throughout the ship Monday.

The flames were burning plastic, cabling and other material but there was still a buffer of about two decks between the fire and fuel supplies.
Source

[Image: 1000.jpeg]

This is just so terrible. I don’t think the Navy will be able to salvage this ship. There’s just too much damage. Some people have pictures where it appears to be listing now. I’m grateful there weren’t any serious injuries.
@"ChiefD" 

Chief,

What is a typical service life in years for one of these ships?  BHR has some years on it IIRC.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Yes, looks like a total loss.
[Image: navy-fire-02-rt-jef-200713_hpEmbed_12x5_992.jpg]
Quote:1,000-degree blaze continues to rage aboard Navy ship in San Diego
The fire has brought down the USS Bonhomme Richard's forward mast.
Source
Does anyone here believe the accident was caused by a wielding mishap as mentioned earlier?
(07-14-2020, 07:45 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"ChiefD" 

Chief,

What is a typical service life in years for one of these ships?  BHR has some years on it IIRC.

Cheers

I believe she came into service in 1998. Typical life for a ship like that is about 30 years.
@"guohua" 

Well, at a time when tensions are increasing with the PRC over freedom of navigation in the South China Sea . . . the fire on the ship looks to be in favor of the Beijing government agenda.  Hard to say without more information.

Cheers

@"ChiefD" 

Thanks Chief.

Cheers