Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jim's Browning '74C series 9mm
@"Ninurta" @"Snarl"  .... to pick up where we left off in the shoutbox, you guys were asking about the safety.

Here is the safety (the mag is out) --- being as it looks as tho the safety is OFF
And yes, it looks rusty in this picture

[Image: 20200705-225103.jpg]

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(07-06-2020, 04:54 AM)senona Wrote: @"Ninurta" @"Snarl"  .... to pick up where we left off in the shoutbox, you guys were asking about the safety.

Here is the safety (the mag is out) --- being as it looks as tho the safety is OFF

Yeah, that safety is "off" or in "fire" mode. When it's on safe, the little hook fits into the notch on the slide. It looks like it may not be fully in "off" position - the "hook" on the safety looks like it might be impeding rearward movement of the slide, but not fully engaged or full disengaged, either. If it won't move at all, that might need a gunsmith.

There isn't enough rust on the outside to be a safety issue, but there is no telling what the internals of the action may look like without disassembling it.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(07-06-2020, 05:01 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 04:54 AM)senona Wrote: @"Ninurta" @"Snarl"  .... to pick up where we left off in the shoutbox, you guys were asking about the safety.

Yeah, that safety is "off" or in "fire" mode. When it's on safe, the little hook fits into the notch on the slide.

I thought as much, but it won't budge.

I've been trying to move it, of course with the mag out.

I wonder if it could have been bumped or jostled out of position, when we used to travel, because I cannot imagine Jim leaving the safety in OFF position.

It does have the original leather case,  and the one flap sits right on top on it, making me wonder if over time, it got nudged downward. And of course now, froze and stuck in that position.

[Image: 20200705-230724.jpg]

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Yeah, that safety is "off" or in "fire" mode. When it's on safe, the little hook fits into the notch on the slide. It looks like it may not be fully in "off" position - the "hook" on the safety looks like it might be impeding rearward movement of the slide, but not fully engaged or full disengaged, either. If it won't move at all, that might need a gunsmith.

There isn't enough rust on the outside to be a safety issue, but there is no telling what the internals of the action may look like without disassembling it.

It isn't disengaged. It needs to be a full 1/4 inch lower at least.

I'm not going to tell anyone that I would hit it with a little WD-40 and work it up and down for a half hour before going outside and play with the trigger and slide a little bit...

~innocent look~
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8135]

Will the slide "jiggle" backwards or forwards, even a little bit, like a millimeter?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Quote:There isn't enough rust on the outside to be a safety issue, but there is no telling what the internals of the action may look like without disassembling it.

Which is why I may look into taking it to a gun shop. There is one located in a small town a few miles away from here.
They get a lot of traffic. (next to a laundromat we used to go to)

Just not sure what something like this would cost if I decide to go that route.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

TIA

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(07-06-2020, 05:12 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Will the slide "jiggle" backwards or forwards, even a little bit, like a millimeter?

Are we all aware here that this handgun has a magazine safety?

Just askin...

(07-06-2020, 05:12 AM)Lumenari Wrote:

I'm not going to tell anyone that I would hit it with a little WD-40 and work it up and down for a half hour before going outside and play with the trigger and slide a little bit...

~innocent look~

There's an idea. Someone willing to tinker might hit it with some WD40 and let it sit a few minutes, then lightly tap it with a rubber hammer a few times to see it it will loosen up enough to become sightly operational - just enough to disassemble it, for instance.

(07-06-2020, 05:12 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Will the slide "jiggle" backwards or forwards, even a little bit, like a millimeter?

No, it sure won't.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

You 'could' try applying some penetrating oil and letting it soak in overnight.  As much surface rust as I'm seeing there, it would be the better method at this time.

There's only one gunsmith in my town I'd take a firearm to.  The other 19 fall into the hacker category.  I can usually get by asking someone as knowledgeable as @Ninurta.  And that saves me a lot of $$$.  I inherited a few firearms from my dad's collection when he passed.  A friend of mine dealt with worse rust than I see on yours, but I wasn't there to see how he did it ... and he's not the guy you ask, "Could you show me how to do that?"
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(07-06-2020, 05:16 AM)Lumenari Wrote:

Just askin...

I am. It's a little pedal on the forward side of the mag well about half way up. Very annoying if one is trying to shoot something in the middle of a mag change.. which does happen, upon occasion...

(07-06-2020, 05:12 AM)Lumenari Wrote:

~innocent look~

Thanks for the tidbit on the safety.

Oh I got WD-40, but was waiting to see if anyone suggested it. That is usually my "go to" for stuck situations. But was hesitant on the gun.  minusculerolleyes

And I love your ~innocent look~
You wear it well

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(07-06-2020, 05:19 AM)Ninurta Wrote:

Just askin...

I am. It's a little pedal on the forward side of the mag well about half way up. Very annoying if one is trying to shoot something in the middle of a mag change.. which does happen, upon occasion...

There is no little pedal on the forward side of the mag on this one.

Both front/back sides are smooth.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Just askin...

I meant the magazine disconnect... an actual magazine safety.

Meaning that without the magazine in , you cannot slide the action or pull the trigger on that handgun.

Without taking out the magazine disconnect... which also gives you a lot better trigger action.

I'ma hush now and leave it to the experts...

tinycool

My 2 cents...try the WD-40 there's no harm in it as its not going to do anything to damage it. As was suggested go outside in a safe place you can "play" with the trigger and slide safely. See if you can work it loose. If that doesn't work I'd take it in for a pro to sort out. If all you want is for them to get it unstuck for you it shouldn't cost much more than a few hours labor. If they clean it up for you I'd expect a bit more $$ because they will probably break it all the way down and remove the rust and such. Least you still have a nice club in the mean time...
(07-06-2020, 05:29 AM)Lumenari Wrote:

Just askin...

I meant the magazine disconnect.

Without the magazine in , you cannot slide the action or pull the trigger on that handgun.

Without taking out the magazine disconnect... which also gives you a lot better trigger action.

I'ma hush now and leave it to the experts...

tinycool

Oh hell no, you ain't gonna hush just yet. LMAO

I need your "innocent look" tips and advice, along with @"Ninurta" and @"Snarl" 
minusculebiggrin

I never turn down any help on something I am not in the know of, especially when it comes to guns.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Has this thing been in this condition long?

Is it non functioning?

Can the slide rack?

I'd think you might be best off letting a gunsmith(even amateur) look it over. If it's been this way long, it might be stuck and some lub might loosen it. But it should be completely disassembled, cleaned, lubricated and then function checked.
(07-06-2020, 05:35 AM)RickyD Wrote: My 2 cents...try the WD-40 there's no harm in it as its not going to do anything to damage it. As was suggested go outside in a safe place you can "play" with the trigger and slide safely. See if you can work it loose. If that doesn't work I'd take it in for a pro to sort out. If all you want is for them to get it unstuck for you it shouldn't cost much more than a few hours labor. If they clean it up for you I'd expect a bit more $$ because they will probably break it all the way down and remove the rust and such. Least you still have a nice club in the mean time...

That's what I will do first.

And I think I will go see what they will charge to break it down and clean it up.

This was Jim's baby and I at least need to get it back to working condition, regardless.

Thanks

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

@"senona" empty your mag, reinsert it and seat it well, and let us know if the safety can be moved post WD-40 treatment.
You better run!
(07-06-2020, 05:43 AM)Snarl Wrote: @"senona" empty your mag, reinsert it and seat it well, and let us know if the safety can be moved post WD-40 treatment.

And make sure you wrap the parts you don't want WD-40 on with a rag.
You better run!