Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Melatonin may help protect against COVID-19
This post was originally on ATS on 5/12/20:

DISCLAIMER: I’m not a medical professional, just passing some information along.  

I had heard from some people that Melatonin may help protect against COVID-19. So I did some research and found a good article in Psychology Today on this. 

www.psychologytoday.com... 

What they discuss in the article is the fact that Melatonin could combat the immune system overreacting and producing an inflammatory response. It has shown to combat one in particular. I found this information interesting. It makes sense.  

I take Melatonin every night. I’ve been doing this for a couple of years now. I really hope the information regarding Melatonin protecting against COVID-19 pans out. 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
Huh, very interesting indeed.

Would be nice if it did help protect against it.

I will have to look into it some more myself.

Thanks!

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

There is some really good info in the article about Melatonin in general.

But it does appear to help prevent, if not lesson, the symptoms of covid

Per the article:

Quote:The reason for the interest in melatonin as a potential treatment for COVID-19? Melatonin has been documented in scientific research to suppress the action of the inflammasome known as NLRP3—one of the primary inflammasomes involved in the exaggerated immune response seen in critical COVID-19 cases.

Melatonin’s ability to suppress the activation of NLRP3 has been found to counteract severe inflammatory responses, lower production of proinflammatory cytokines, lower infiltration of immune cells into lungs, and reduce lung tissue injury.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'