Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Day That Will Live In Irony
Today, I, a Republican Trump supporter, went down into 'The Belly of the Beast'...to buy some Tuna steaks.
I went to Whole Foods.

Entering the parking lot, I found a large section out front had been blocked off...being forced to park one store over.

At the front door of Whole Foods...I met a couple of private security guards out front (I don't remember ever seeing them there before).
I asked them why their parking lot was blocked off.
One told me there was a protest scheduled to start there.

I asked him what were they protesting...and he walked away.

Coming out of the grocery, the protest was now in full swing...about six young white kids holding signs and shouting about racism and defunding the police.

The irony here was strong.
Leftist Whole Foods is sanctioning a protest in their own parking lot...about defunding my local Police...while protecting it's own property with private security.

Did I mention I was a Republican Trump supporter?

[Image: giphy.gif]

(07-04-2020, 02:14 AM)IAMTAT Wrote: Today, I, a Republican Trump supporter, went down into 'The Belly of the Beast'...to buy some Tuna steaks.
I went to Whole Foods.

Entering the parking lot, I found a large section out front had been blocked off...being forced to park one store over.

At the front door of Whole Foods...I met a couple of private security guards out front (I don't remember ever seeing them there before).

Coming out of the grocery, the protest was now in full swing...about six young white kids holding signs and shouting about racism and defunding the police.

Leftist Whole Foods is sanctioning a protest in their own parking lot...about defunding my local Police...while protecting it's own property with private security.

Did you get the damned fish?
internet Agent Provocateur
Oh my God.

Please tell me you knocked over a statue, or tipped a can of organic peas.
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-04-2020, 02:14 AM)IAMTAT Wrote: Today, I, a Republican Trump supporter, went down into 'The Belly of the Beast'...to buy some Tuna steaks.
I went to Whole Foods.

what's even more ironic is, if they get what they want "defund the police", the private security that people hire will be even more brutal then the cops ever were.
(07-04-2020, 02:18 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: Did you get the damned fish?

Yes. Two, big beautiful steaks.

(07-04-2020, 02:23 AM)IAMTAT Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 02:18 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: Did you get the damned fish?

Yes. Two, big beautiful steaks.

YES! Score!!!!
internet Agent Provocateur
(07-04-2020, 02:19 AM)beez Wrote: Oh my God.

Better.
I fondled all the Kale.

(07-04-2020, 02:25 AM)IAMTAT Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 02:19 AM)beez Wrote: Oh my God.

Better.
I fondled all the Kale.

Ironically, that's the name of Biden's memoir.

"I fondled The Kale".
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-04-2020, 02:29 AM)beez Wrote: Ironically, that's the name of Biden's memoir.

"I fondled The Kale".

"Kale To The Chief!"

..i'll see myself out.

TAT, there you go, trying to make sense of our world again.

Glad you got your tuna.  Tuna steaks are great, especially with a bit of Hollandaise sauce.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Oops. Sorry. I replied to the wrong thread lol.
(07-04-2020, 02:21 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: what's even more ironic is, if they get what they want "defund the police", the private security that people hire will be even more brutal then the cops ever were.

Yes and no. I used to do that sort of work.

Private security can get away with things police can't do, and police can get away with things private security can't do. One outfit I worked for used to team up private security and sworn police for that very reason.

Also, private security frequently has to meet higher standards than police do. For instance, I had to meet psych testing that police did not have to undergo, and some officers even refused to take when they left the police and tried to hire on with my outfit - they did not believe they could pass. I know of one former police officer who at least tried it, and failed the pych evals. We also had to meet higher standards for accuracy with firearms - 10% higher was required by law, although many of us surpassed that.

With that said, some of the guys I worked with were batshit crazy, and I have no idea how they passed the pych evals - or maybe they lost the plot on the job after the evals. No idea. Some were pretty brutal, some just LOOKED brutal but were creampuffs. Some were all business and no nonsense, some were reminiscent of Barney Fife.

Like the rest of humanity, you will find a cross-section within their ranks.

Private security does not enjoy the "sovereign immunity" that public police do, and which politicians are steadily trying to remove from cops. They do, however, have quite a bit more latitude on property owned by their employer. That's one of the reasons they would team some of us up with sworn officers - they would send us in to private property to get the "bad guys", and once we had them we would then "extract" them out to where tho cops could cuff and stuff 'em. They would also arm us up to secure places that were under threat, so that they didn't have to tie up sworn officers to babysit a maybe.

The bottom line to all of this, however, is that if/when they eliminate public police in favor of private security, only folks with the coin to pay for protection will have it - the rest of the world will be on it's own, thrown to the wolves. The incident @"IAMTAT" mentions is not isolated. The Minneapolis City Council has voted to eliminate police, and at the same time are paying about 24K a week as I recall for private security for 3 of it's members who are claiming they received threats. It's happening all over, and seems to be accelerating.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’