Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to Australia
So now you have got through customs . All is good time to see some Australiana . But first some tips about some of our wildlife . First up is one of the creatures that i am less than fond of .
[Image: blue-ringed-octopus.jpg]
Yes my favourite the blue ringed octopus , pretty little critter . It's a tiny creature, about the size of a golf ball, but contains a neurotoxin powerful enough to kill humans. There is no antidote, but victims who reach medical help often recover if breathing is assisted until the venom dissipates. 

Next up lets go with the inland taipan , the worlds most venomous snake .
[Image: inland-taipan.jpg]
Oddly enough there have been no recorded deaths from this snake , mostly because of where it lives . Now its other 18 mates who round out 19 of the top 10 deadliest snakes are another matter .

Cone shells , we all like to pickh them up and put them in a bucket , but beware some have a sting in there tail . Their venom is a neurotoxin that can kill a human, and there is no antivenin. Medical facilities can help a victim breathe until the toxin is cleared from the body.

Next up is one of my favourites the cassowary , yes a killer bird not far removed from dinosaurs .
[Image: cassowary.jpg]

Cassowaries are bad tempered birds that can grow to 6 feet tall. They are strong and swift and attack with razor-sharp claws. Although the last cassowary-related death was in 1926, many people have been badly injured by these birds. 

Moving on we have jellyfish and several sorts that can kill you .
[Image: box-jellyfish.jpg]

Some are not dangerous to humans, but one species, Chironex fleckeri, is the world's most venomous animal. The sting from this particular species can cause death in minutes! 

Now one of our more creepy animals , well not exactly an animal . Spiders , yes the Sydney funnel web spider and to a lesser extent the redback spider .

[Image: funnel-web.jpg]
Beautiful little critter isn't it . A bite will lead to muscle spasms, shock, and brain damage, but is easily treated with antivenin. Oh and death .

Scorpion fish or stone fish are another of my favourites and next to sasquatches are world champions at hide and seek .

[Image: stonefish.jpg]
need another look , ugly critter isnt it .

[Image: stonefish-2.jpg]
scorpion fish are found in tropical waters all over the world, but are most concentrated in Australia. They are small and approachable, but if you step on one, you'll need to seek immediate medical treatment. They are also edible, and considered to be a delicacy . yum.

Another of my favourites the saltwater croc . Yes lets go swimming in the top end . Not .

[Image: croc.jpg]
The average croc is about 15 feet long, but they can grow to over 20 feet! Australians call them "salties". Death by crocodile is rare; there are only a couple of fatalities every year in Australia. Yes only 2 , that we know of . 

Well that about wraps it up , now you will know what to avoid , or should you as all are awesome creatures , just give them the respect they deserve .

Honourable mentions to , emus , dingoes , kangaroos and tassie devils . Sharks , everyone has them .

Enjoy
(07-01-2020, 01:32 PM)hutch622 Wrote: So now you have got through customs . All is good time to see some Australiana . But first some tips about some of our wildlife . First up is one of the creatures that i am less than fond of .
Yes my favourite the blue ringed octopus , pretty little critter . It's a tiny creature, about the size of a golf ball, but contains a neurotoxin powerful enough to kill humans. There is no antidote, but victims who reach medical help often recover if breathing is assisted until the venom dissipates. 

Oddly enough there have been no recorded deaths from this snake , mostly because of where it lives . Now its other 18 mates who round out 19 of the top 10 deadliest snakes are another matter .

Cone shells , we all like to pickh them up and put them in a bucket , but beware some have a sting in there tail . Their venom is a neurotoxin that can kill a human, and there is no antivenin. Medical facilities can help a victim breathe until the toxin is cleared from the body.

Next up is one of my favourites the cassowary , yes a killer bird not far removed from dinosaurs .

Cassowaries are bad tempered birds that can grow to 6 feet tall. They are strong and swift and attack with razor-sharp claws. Although the last cassowary-related death was in 1926, many people have been badly injured by these birds. 

Some are not dangerous to humans, but one species, Chironex fleckeri, is the world's most venomous animal. The sting from this particular species can cause death in minutes! 

Now one of our more creepy animals , well not exactly an animal . Spiders , yes the Sydney funnel web spider and to a lesser extent the redback spider .

Beautiful little critter isn't it . A bite will lead to muscle spasms, shock, and brain damage, but is easily treated with antivenin. Oh and death .

Scorpion fish or stone fish are another of my favourites and next to sasquatches are world champions at hide and seek .

scorpion fish are found in tropical waters all over the world, but are most concentrated in Australia. They are small and approachable, but if you step on one, you'll need to seek immediate medical treatment. They are also edible, and considered to be a delicacy . yum.

Another of my favourites the saltwater croc . Yes lets go swimming in the top end . Not .

The average croc is about 15 feet long, but they can grow to over 20 feet! Australians call them "salties". Death by crocodile is rare; there are only a couple of fatalities every year in Australia. Yes only 2 , that we know of . 

Well that about wraps it up , now you will know what to avoid , or should you as all are awesome creatures , just give them the respect they deserve .

Honourable mentions to , emus , dingoes , kangaroos and tassie devils . Sharks , everyone has them .

Enjoy

Why does the writing turn out like that . grrrrrrrrrrrr
(07-01-2020, 01:35 PM)hutch622 Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 01:32 PM)hutch622 Wrote: So now you have got through customs . All is good time to see some Australiana . But first some tips about some of our wildlife . First up is one of the creatures that i am less than fond of .

Enjoy

Try changing the font color in the menu mate.  Good read.

Bally
(07-01-2020, 01:39 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

Enjoy

Try changing the font color in the menu mate.  Good read.

Bally

Last time i tried that i got two threads and neither made sense .lol.

Cone shells , we all like to pick them up and put them in a bucket , but beware some have a sting in there tail . Their venom is a neurotoxin that can kill a human, and there is no antivenin. Medical facilities can help a victim breathe until the toxin is cleared from the body.

Enjoy

[Image: Struth.jpg]

(07-01-2020, 01:43 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

Cone shells , we all like to pick them up and put them in a bucket , but beware some have a sting in there tail . Their venom is a neurotoxin that can kill a human, and there is no antivenin. Medical facilities can help a victim breathe until the toxin is cleared from the body.

Enjoy

Hope I helped mate.
(07-01-2020, 01:45 PM)Bally002 Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 01:43 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

Enjoy

Hope I helped mate.
Thanks mate . I worked it out .
I see you're learning the ropes here at RN. I don't know why some pages don't show up when we copy/paste.

You can do as you did by highlighting the text and changing the color, or the reader can highlight it and read it that way. We also have a different screen at the bottom right corner where people can choose a different background color. That's pretty aggravating though. I like to leave mine on the dark background; it doesn't strain the eyes as much.

Now, to your thread...

All I was going to say is, I used to want to go to Australia, but I think you've changed my mind.
Not that we don't have killer critters where I live, but I really, really hate those big spiders you guys have over there. smallmachinegun
This reminded me of Steve Irwin, I miss that guy.  I still watch his videos on youtube with my daughter.

[Image: crocodiles-are-easy-people-are-harder-steve-irwin.jpg]
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]

...no words!!!!! just.....   tinylaughing
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]