Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What it’s like to live with polio
Hi everyone. I originally created this thread in ATS. I realize vaccinations are a very controversial topic. We’re all adults here. I feel good about posting this. Now I know I won't change anyone's mind, but I feel compelled to tell this true life story. 

Polio is a devastating, crippling, sometimes fatal disease. Thankfully, there is a vaccine for it. This wasn't the case in 1946, when my mom, who was two years old at that time, wound up with polio. So for 74 of her 76 years of life, she has had to deal with this.  

After getting sick and being quarantined, she was sent home. She was one of the lucky ones who didn't die or wind up paralyzed. But she was unable to walk anymore. In the years that followed, she went through many lengthy stints in the hospital. In order to get her legs so she could possibly walk again, she endured 15-20 operations. She had both of her legs broken twice.  

She spent most of her summer vacations in the hospital for more treatment. She was endlessly bullied in school as she was in a wheelchair. She endured so much physical and emotional pain. Then there were the other indignities. The pointing and stares when she walked haltingly with ugly cumbersome braces. The ridicule by other kids. She was told she would never drive, ride a bike, or be able to bear children.  

Then she met my dad. The fisst time he proposed to her, she told him to go to hell, and prove he wasn't proposing because he felt sorry for her. She made him work for it. 

once they got married, he taught her how to drive and ride a bike. She walked a lot, with a noticeable limp. She never let that slow her down. She has three kids and four grandchildren now.  

She also has something called post polio syndrome. She is in constant pain, and still walks, but it's much more difficult for her. She has taken many falls, has had a few concussions. Her damn kneecap is literally sliding down her leg. I worry about her a lot. 

We have talked on the phone, and I asked her what she thinks of all these things in the news about the anti vaccine movement, and she said: I hope nobody ever has to go through what I have been through, and that these people are seriously deluded.  

Her words, not mine. But I totally agree with her. I cringe when I hear about previously eradicated things coming back.  

Oh well. This will not change anyone's mind, but I had to get this off my chest. I hope nobody is offended. I get some are against vaccines, and some are for vaccines. It is a hot button issue.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
I'll just tip my hat or a fluffy ear and say, "God Bless."

It's a hard thing, but harder people survive it.

minusculebeercheers
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
There are SOME good vaccines out there, but most are just full of poison that cause side affects, from what I understand.

I'm against pumping so many vaccines into a newborn like they do today. I forget the number they give them, but it's a large percentage more than I had as a child.

I'm also against the flu vaccine. They admit they don't even know if it will help the strain that's coming that particular year.
I can do just as well fighting off the flu and several other illnesses just by taking natural remedies. And they are so much easier and better for our system.

Sorry to hear about your mother. She sounds like a tough cookie. I salute her.   minusculebeercheers
(07-01-2020, 01:37 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Hi everyone. I originally created this thread in ATS.

Thanks for sharing here.

I'm current on all my vaccinations.  Old now.  Won't do anymore because of Bill Gates and Creeper Fauci, who have their paws on the program.

I don't believe autism was ever 'caused' by vaccinations.  So, if I am blessed with grandkids, my advice will be to vaccinate.

What most people don't understand is what an effective vaccination program consists of.  I'm not going into detail ... the information is out there for anyone who cares to look.  Old folk need to consider the ROI.  That is all.

Personal: Not everyone can earn the anchor.  That 'hard lady' Beez was referring to ... raised you to be hard too.  Look her in the eyes and thank her for that ... as often as you can.  Time isn't on anyone's side.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(07-01-2020, 02:03 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 01:37 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Hi everyone. I originally created this thread in ATS.

Thanks for sharing here.

I'm current on all my vaccinations.  Old now.  Won't do anymore because of Bill Gates and Creeper Fauci, who have their paws on the program.

I don't believe autism was ever 'caused' by vaccinations.  So, if I am blessed with grandkids, my advice will be to vaccinate.

What most people don't understand is what an effective vaccination program consists of.  I'm not going into detail ... the information is out there for anyone who cares to look.  Old folk need to consider the ROI.  That is all.

Personal: Not everyone can earn the anchor.  That 'hard lady' Beez was referring to ... raised you to be hard too.  Look her in the eyes and thank her for that ... as often as you can.  Time isn't on anyone's side.
I thank my Mom all the time. She inspired me to be a better person. I’m grateful she is still around.
My understanding is that a person who "recovers" from polio will then live with the remaining involved musculature working at close to 100% capacity.  At some point those muscles fatigue, and then function declines.  The muscles cannot be strengthened - - they were already working at maximum capacity for many years.  Scheduled rests, and adjustment of activities and routines can help prolong function and independence.  Post-polio syndrome is especially brutal for those persons who had pulmonary involvement.

Bless your mother; she is very tough to achieve all she has.

I was a huge believer in innoculations / vaccinations esp after working at a vet clinic during the parvovirus outbreak in the very late '70s, and seeing so many dogs vomit/shit blood until they died (bleach still smells like perfume to me).   HOWEVER during the mid 2000s the info coming out did not always add up; new flu vaccines had to be taken in the spring, etc.  Sadly, I do not trust our profit-based health care system so much anymore.
To Whom it may concern and Piss-Off, I was Born and Raised in China, Never received any Vaccination as a Child or Adult, UNTIL I came to America.
Both my daughter and myself had to have all current vaccinations.

We were sick for 2 months and it took 3 Herbal Treatments a day to keep from being At Death's Door I DO believe.  
Mandatory Vaccinations are bad in my view.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-01-2020, 03:44 AM)CottonGinWaste Wrote: My understanding is that a person who "recovers" from polio will then live with the remaining involved musculature working at close to 100% capacity.  At some point those muscles fatigue, and then function declines.  The muscles cannot be strengthened - - they were already working at maximum capacity for many years.  Scheduled rests, and adjustment of activities and routines can help prolong function and independence.  Post-polio syndrome is especially brutal for those persons who had pulmonary involvement.

Bless your mother; she is very tough to achieve all she has.

I was a huge believer in innoculations / vaccinations esp after working at a vet clinic during the parvovirus outbreak in the very late '70s, and seeing so many dogs vomit/shit blood until they died (bleach still smells like perfume to me).   HOWEVER during the mid 2000s the info coming out did not always add up; new flu vaccines had to be taken in the spring, etc.  Sadly, I do not trust our profit-based health care system so much anymore.
Yeah, lately the flu vaccine has not been working for many people. In March 2018 I got the flu real bad. I had the vaccine the previous October. I was sicker than a dog for a week, missed a whole week of work. I ran a 101 degree fever for seven days straight. My husband wound up in the hospital for five days with flu and pneumonia. Awful time. The vaccine didn’t do squat for me.