Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This is going to be interesting.
Just having a test, trying out a new thread. It's a test of a sort and a bit of a rant, if you want to call it that.

I'm glad there is another plan in place if/when ATS finally crumbles to the ground in a smoldering heap.

There are no shortage of bitter ATS members vocalizing that's it's a GOOD thing, politics killed it blah blah blah. And those people saying that ONLY don't care because the general consensus there disagrees with THEIR OWN political bias.

I've been a member there over 11 years now, and truthfully? I wasn't well liked. And I honestly never GAVE a rats ass, because it was MY home. MY way to vent in this world where we seemingly can't be ourselves anymore.

I think the ownership just gave up, didn't consider any solutions and are only willing to sell. Fine. So I'm bitter about it. Over 8.5k posts and that's going to be ALL gone. I HATE starting over, although I've had to many times in my life. But I can't help but feel like after all those years of expressing opinions, creating threads about things passionate to me are going away now forever. No possible way to ever get that back. As it's all a complete waste.

So here we are. Complete newbs, again. The only saving grace is that many of us recognize each other. This is going to be difficult, but a necessary change. I'm glad this place was created, it must have taken a TON of effort.

So it's great to be here, but it may be a difficult re-start for many of us.

Thanks for reading.
- I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist.
Works Great  GiantThumbsUp
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(06-22-2020, 08:53 PM)Wookiep Wrote: So here we are. Complete newbs, again. The only saving grace is that many of us recognize each other. This is going to be difficult, but a necessary change. I'm glad this place was created, it must have taken a TON of effort.

Thanks for reading.

I am blessed to have spent half my life being transient. Early years as a military brat, then I joined the military, then chose a medical specialty that kept me on the road. Being a newbie is a way of life for me. One of the things you learn from being transient is that people are the same the world over.

You will find a doppelganger for everyone you ever come to know, no matter where you travel in this world. We truly are a remarkable species. The up side to this transition is that you are not going it alone, and you already know most of the folk here. I hope it works out for all of us.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

The threads you like just port over to here.

Cut, Paste, make a thread here.

That's what I am doing today with the ones that I put a lot of time to do.

Nice part so far, this site doesn't have the same word count cutoff that ATS has.

The wine thread I just moved here was 2 pages on ATS... fit fine in one post here.

tinybiggrin
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8135]

(06-22-2020, 09:31 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 08:53 PM)Wookiep Wrote: So here we are. Complete newbs, again. The only saving grace is that many of us recognize each other. This is going to be difficult, but a necessary change. I'm glad this place was created, it must have taken a TON of effort.

Thanks for reading.

I am blessed to have spent half my life being transient. Early years as a military brat, then I joined the military, then chose a medical specialty that kept me on the road. Being a newbie is a way of life for me. One of the things you learn from being transient is that people are the same the world over.

You will find a doppelganger for everyone you ever come to know, no matter where you travel in this world. We truly are a remarkable species. The up side to this transition is that you are not going it alone, and you already know most of the folk here. I hope it works out for all of us.

You can't post the "reply to" responses and link them here, which is impossible and nobody expects that, or should expect that.

The lengthy responses and the ensuing convo which makes up a thread. There is no way to preserve that
(06-22-2020, 09:36 PM)Lumenari Wrote: The threads you like just port over to here.

Cut, Paste, make a thread here.

That's what I am doing today with the ones that I put a lot of time to do.

Nice part so far, this site doesn't have the same word count cutoff that ATS has.

The wine thread I just moved here was 2 pages on ATS... fit fine in one post here.

tinybiggrin

My last response was to YOU, and I screwed the pooch by responding to the wrong user. Plz read my post above! Thanks. Sorry all, gotta get used to the format here
Wookiep

Quote:You can't post the "reply to" responses and link them here, which is impossible and nobody expects that, or should expect that.

The lengthy responses and the ensuing convo which makes up a thread. There is no way to preserve that

On the top of your ATS OP there is a printer button.

Select it and print the whole thread to .pdf.

Save locally.

Then at least you will have a local copy.

tinycool
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8135]

(06-22-2020, 10:17 PM)Lumenari Wrote: Wookiep

Quote:You can't post the "reply to" responses and link them here, which is impossible and nobody expects that, or should expect that.

Save locally.

tinycool

Oh yeah? OK I'll give that a shot. Never knew it was there. 

If we can preserve all our threads to our desktop, then share them here, I wonder if there is a way to JUST upload them to personal profiles? I would imagine things could get very Spammy on the main board otherwise? Hmm
(06-22-2020, 10:15 PM)Wookiep Wrote:

Thanks for reading.

You can't post the "reply to" responses and link them here, which is impossible and nobody expects that, or should expect that.

There is a little printer at the top of each page on ATS. Click on that and choose to save to NoteOne, or whatever program you have.  It will copy the entire page and save it to a file on your computer.
That's what I had to do.
I have Windows7 Ultimate on my desktop. Never upgraded to Windows 10. I like what little privacy I have.
I don't know what will pop up for you if you're using Windows10, but it should offer a place to save it in you printer screen.
I had a thread 388 pages long. Got to page 177 and my printer software went all wacky.  I was afraid I'd lose the rest, but someone offered to download it as a text file. It's just a blob of words all together, but I can separate it when time allows. At least I have it.   tinybiggrin

Thanks for reading.

It's a new dawn people. Forget the past.
(Not sure how the quote thing works. Nested quotes can get confusing.)
(06-22-2020, 10:15 PM)Wookiep Wrote: You can't post the "reply to" responses and link them here, which is impossible and nobody expects that, or should expect that.

It's good practice to copy and past just your OP to bring it across - that belongs, jointly, to you and ATS, so you can do with it as you like, since you are an owner of it. The replies can get a little dicey. those belong jointly to ATS and the poster that created the reply. In other words, you have no ownership in them, and therefore no control over them. Those can't, as a rule, be brought across.

As far as saving the threads goes, I have been downloading mine page by page as HTML files and saving them to folders, one folder for each thread, all of the pages of that thread inside the folder. I do that by right clicking inside the page, and selecting "save", "save as" or "save page as (depending on your browser) and then selecting a save location when the save window pops up. That saves the entire page (replies and all), just as it is displayed, and can be opened any time by your browser. I've found that easiest for me, and if I want to I can re-open it and cut and paste whatever I want from that page at will, and in my own time.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-22-2020, 10:33 PM)Phage Wrote: It's a new dawn people. Forget the past.

Hello Phage.

I agree that the past is done and gone, and some things are best forgotten. But some of life's lessons are best remembered and cherished.

It is like cleaning out a closet. We often hold on to things that serve no purpose, takes up room, stealing space that can be used for new and better things. But some things you hold onto because they continue to serve you well, they bring joy, and are cherished. Friends also fit into that category.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(06-22-2020, 10:33 PM)Phage Wrote:

Thanks for reading.

It's a new dawn people. Forget the past.

Agreed.

You can't look to the future if you're always staring at the past.

tinybiggrin
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
Also, e if you want to print or email any of your conten here look at the lower left corner of the page.

[*]View a Printable Version
[*]Send this Thread to a Friend
[*]Subscribe to this thread
[*]Add Poll to this thread
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I feel a little bit where you’re coming from. I wasn’t popular on ATS either, and like you, for the most part I didn’t give a shit. 

While it’s kind of a hard pill to swallow knowing ATS may go bye bye, I just look at this as just a new chapter in my lengthy book. I’m so glad I found RN3. This is a terrific site. I like seeing old familiar faces from ATS, and new ones I never knew. I wish I had known about this site years ago. 

But another thing: I am part of an ATS working group that is going to try and buy/take over ATS so it doesn’t go away. Whether it will work or not is up in the air. If you would like to be part of this, I can PM you the url of the working group. We can use all the help we can get.

So hang in there. None of us know the future. All we can do is be happy in our present.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(06-22-2020, 08:53 PM)Wookiep Wrote: Just having a test, trying out a new thread. It's a test of a sort and a bit of a rant, if you want to call it that.

I'm glad there is another plan in place if/when ATS finally crumbles to the ground in a smoldering heap.

There are no shortage of bitter ATS members vocalizing that's it's a GOOD thing, politics killed it blah blah blah. And those people saying that ONLY don't care because the general consensus there disagrees with THEIR OWN political bias.

I've been a member there over 11 years now, and truthfully? I wasn't well liked. And I honestly never GAVE a rats ass, because it was MY home. MY way to vent in this world where we seemingly can't be ourselves anymore.

I think the ownership just gave up, didn't consider any solutions and are only willing to sell. Fine. So I'm bitter about it. Over 8.5k posts and that's going to be ALL gone. I HATE starting over, although I've had to many times in my life. But I can't help but feel like after all those years of expressing opinions, creating threads about things passionate to me are going away now forever. No possible way to ever get that back. As it's all a complete waste.

So here we are. Complete newbs, again. The only saving grace is that many of us recognize each other. This is going to be difficult, but a necessary change. I'm glad this place was created, it must have taken a TON of effort.

Thanks for reading.

FWIW, I liked ya "over there". I was nenothtu in that former life.

Also, FWIW, if you have enough storage space (it will take around 3 to 4 TB, but closer to 3), you can store that entire site, with forum links intact but keyed to your local storage, with this: https://www.httrack.com 

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-22-2020, 10:17 PM)Lumenari Wrote: Wookiep

Save locally.

tinycool

Unfortunately, from what I've seen that option only save that particular page of the thread. It can be a PITA to try saving a multiple page thread that way.