Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maxx The Picky Eater
[Image: Maxx.jpg][Image: Maxx1123.jpg]

This is Maxx. He is a spoiled, mouthy, demanding, sneaky, and loving, brat.

He will be four years old come December 11th. He is a big lug and a great Dad. He still leaves a few crumbs in his bowl every day for his bratty daughter Tamar, and his rock head son Goliath to scramble over.

My biggest problem with Maxx is his eating habits. I am trying to decide if I should ignore him or to give in again. Maxx often just stops liking his food, and he stops eating it. The longest I have sat him out is three days.

He will like it just fine for months, then decides he doesn't want it. If I put the tiniest amount of people food in with his food, he will eat it. Doesn't matter if it is soup, bread,vegetables, fruit, or meat, he will eat it.

He has done this before. In fact, he has done this three times before. The other times I used store samples to find a food that he will eat, then I wean them over to the new food. The other four are never a problem. They eat anything they can get in their mouths, that is why I have to watch them like a hawk. They are so used to my hand and arm being down their throats, to remove crap that has no business down there, that they don't even blink when I go in for the deep retrieve.

I really don't mind putting something a little special in his food, but on the other hand, I am not sure that is something I should do on a daily basis. I really don't want to have to go  through another new food switch over. I keep telling myself, if he gets hungry enough he will eat, but after three days when he doesn't eat I cave.

Advice friends. I know I am likely thinking with my heart and not my head, so I need help.  I am sure someone has had this problem, and has a solution that is loving and fitting.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

I don't have a dog, but I can relate with my cat.

He will love the flavor of food I choose for a couple of weeks, then after buying up a bunch of that flavor he likes, he suddenly decides he won't eat it again.  Now I have approximately two weeks of cat food with no cat that wants it.

Talking with the vet never hurts. Sometimes not eating can be caused by painful teeth/gums, or stomach problems. Maybe get him checked out?

As for my cat, he's just being a cat: Finicky creatures. tinysure
(06-23-2020, 09:32 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I don't have a dog, but I can relate with my cat.

He will love the flavor of food I choose for a couple of weeks, then after buying up a bunch of that flavor he likes, he suddenly decides he won't eat it again.  Now I have approximately two weeks of cat food with no cat that wants it.

Talking with the vet never hurts. Sometimes not eating can be caused by painful teeth/gums, or stomach problems. Maybe get him checked out?

His Vet says he is just fine. He eats just fine, what he wants to eat. His Vet says, "Maxx is just spoiled, but it is okay for him to be spoiled."

My Vet loves Maxx, he is no help.

• minusculebeercheers 

(06-23-2020, 09:32 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I don't have a dog, but I can relate with my cat.

Nice... I, at one point, had around 15 cats but I'm down to one. I was slamming my back door shut one day and he was running through and I didn't see him. I smashed him in the door but it didn't seem to bother him. That was over a year ago, he's yet to leave home and go cattin' so I'd assume I somehow crushed his little sexual desires. No I wasn't slamming it because I was mad. When it rains a lot, the doors shift and at the time, I had to slam the door to shut it. He seemed perfectly normal after it happened so I never took him to the vet. 

However, I always catch him and my Australian Shepherd snuggling up to each other outside, especially when she's in heat. Or I'll walk outside and they'll shoot out from under the deck, one goes one way and the other goes the other way. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. Here she is cleaning the cat's neck. 

[Image: 99092871_671415726757645_873434455227131...e=5F1959A3]
The Goonies R good enough
(06-23-2020, 09:11 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: [Image: Maxx.jpg][Image: Maxx1123.jpg]

This is Maxx. He is a spoiled, mouthy, demanding, sneaky, and loving, brat.

He will be four years old come December 11th. He is a big lug and a great Dad. He still leaves a few crumbs in his bowl every day for his bratty daughter Tamar, and his rock head son Goliath to scramble over.

My biggest problem with Maxx is his eating habits. I am trying to decide if I should ignore him or to give in again. Maxx often just stops liking his food, and he stops eating it. The longest I have sat him out is three days.

He will like it just fine for months, then decides he doesn't want it. If I put the tiniest amount of people food in with his food, he will eat it. Doesn't matter if it is soup, bread,vegetables, fruit, or meat, he will eat it.

He has done this before. In fact, he has done this three times before. The other times I used store samples to find a food that he will eat, then I wean them over to the new food. The other four are never a problem. They eat anything they can get in their mouths, that is why I have to watch them like a hawk. They are so used to my hand and arm being down their throats, to remove crap that has no business down there, that they don't even blink when I go in for the deep retrieve.

I really don't mind putting something a little special in his food, but on the other hand, I am not sure that is something I should do on a daily basis. I really don't want to have to go  through another new food switch over. I keep telling myself, if he gets hungry enough he will eat, but after three days when he doesn't eat I cave.

Advice friends. I know I am likely thinking with my heart and not my head, so I need help.  I am sure someone has had this problem, and has a solution that is loving and fitting.

I had a red and white Heeler mix (I think) that wandered up in 2011, I called him Max, too. Extremely loyal but extremely mean to anyone he didn't know. One day he stopped eating and couldn't walk. I knew he was on his last leg because he was an adult when he wandered up (I'm guessing a hunting dog that didn't hunt anymore and was dropped off in my neighborhood) and I'd had him for 8 years. He'd made his way to the side of the deck and was laying there one winter morning so I covered his body with a blanket and sat there with him for a couple of hours, until the sun went down. Later that night it started raining real hard so I ran outside to move him to a dry spot and he wasn't there. I grabbed a flashlight and started down the stairs when I saw him laying at the bottom, he'd passed on. So I picked the poor little guy up and put him in a dry spot and covered his body with a dry blanket. 

This came up on my timehop last year. 

[Image: 105947480_977093512761663_26699199093908...e=5F174360]
The Goonies R good enough
(06-23-2020, 09:52 PM)LSU2018 Wrote:

Nice... I, at one point, had around 15 cats but I'm down to one. I was slamming my back door shut one day and he was running through and I didn't see him. I smashed him in the door but it didn't seem to bother him. That was over a year ago, he's yet to leave home and go cattin' so I'd assume I somehow crushed his little sexual desires. No I wasn't slamming it because I was mad. When it rains a lot, the doors shift and at the time, I had to slam the door to shut it. He seemed perfectly normal after it happened so I never took him to the vet. 

However, I always catch him and my Australian Shepherd snuggling up to each other outside, especially when she's in heat. Or I'll walk outside and they'll shoot out from under the deck, one goes one way and the other goes the other way. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. Here she is cleaning the cat's neck. 

Oh my goodness!  Poor cat!   tinywhat 

I'm a huge animal lover of all types, dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, well... all of them.

I think I got that from growing up around my grandmother. She lived on a farm and had every kind of animal you can imagine. I played with them all, except that one chicken. That chicken was mean! I think we ate him for Sunday lunch.

tinylaughing
(06-23-2020, 09:52 PM)LSU2018 Wrote:

[Image: 99092871_671415726757645_873434455227131...e=5F1959A3]

She may be like my Lazarus. Lazarus actually didn't know he was a cat. I adopted him at three weeks old after he was dug out of construction site rubble. I got a Rhodesian Ridgeback 3 months later and they grew up together as a pack.

[Image: IMG-20180316-191719-1.jpg][Image: IMG-20180316-191758.jpg]

When a rescued the Huskies, Sandeeh and Lazarus were together all the time. It was love at first sight. tinylaughing

• minusculebeercheers 

(06-23-2020, 10:09 PM)LSU2018 Wrote: This came up on my timehop last year. 

[Image: 105947480_977093512761663_26699199093908...e=5F174360]

He looks so sweet. It is always so hard when you lose a loved pet. I keep saying no more, but that no more seems to always turn into, just one more, because too many people know that I am a sucker for an animal in need.

• minusculebeercheers