Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minneapolis City Council Unanimously Approves Motion To Abolish Police Force
(06-27-2020, 09:11 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I'm not saying you might have been more likely to get away with it back then, I was wondering if common courtesy was more prevalent back then than it is today.

My parents and grandparents used to not even bother with locking the doors, they are the complete opposite today.  My mother had been anti-gun all her life, but I've been working on her all of mine.  She finally said she is thinking about getting a gun.

Society has changed, and not for the better.

I  have been thinking about what you asked in your post a lot lately. Mainly because I see so many people writing that they think this way. I still live in the country, and no, a lot has not changed, and yes, a lot has.

Common courtesy, protecting and looking out for your neighbors, swapping and sharing goods, are still common traits of a good neighbor. The bumper fell off my SUV leaving me stuck on our 5 mile dirt road, less than two miles from my front door. My neighbor drove past me, went home, got the tractor, came back, towed me home. He then spent a couple of hours laying in the dirt on his back welding the bumper back onto the frame. He said maybe ten words the whole time, he is a very quiet kind of guy, and all he would accept was a cold glass of water. A strong community is built on the foundation of being a good neighbor, it also helps you have good neighbors if you treat your neighbors the way you want to treated.

There will be skirmishes, because crap happens. One of my neighbors has spent thousands of dollars building and rebuilding his fence to keep his critters in. It works for several months, then I walk outside and Charlie Brown and the wandering band of rovers, are eating the grass in my front yard or I walk out to 20 of my neighbors pigs in my pond. It does not bother me, but it bothers some of the others. It causes friction but we manage.

We lock our doors now, when folks out here had not locked their doors in over fifty years. But.... most of us share keys to each other's houses, and many of us have neighbor gates, because it takes way too long to travel from door to door by way of the driveway.

I see a lot of dissension on TV and on the internet. I do not see it outside my front door, and I doubt very seriously I ever will. I would be lying if I said  what I see in virtual land does not disturb me, and we talk about it sometimes when the heat is turned way up, but so far we all agree that we are lucky we have each other. I am not saying the fight is not real. I am not saying the virus is not real. I am saying that it may be coming but it has not come here yet. If or when it does, I think we will be ready for it and I pray that it is short lived.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(06-27-2020, 06:58 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I'm curious to see what happens in Minneapolis.  I hope the law abiding citizens of that city practice their 2nd Amendment rights to police their homes and communities.  I'm really interested to see whether having police makes a difference.
Welcome to new and exciting potential forms of 'vigilantism' expression. Any surviving un-spritzed Seminole's input welcome!
(06-28-2020, 01:59 AM)veteranhumanbeing Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 06:58 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I'm curious to see what happens in Minneapolis.  I hope the law abiding citizens of that city practice their 2nd Amendment rights to police their homes and communities.  I'm really interested to see whether having police makes a difference.
Welcome to new and exciting potential forms of 'vigilantism' expression. Any surviving un-spritzed Seminole's input welcome!

Are you Thinking,,,,,
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(06-27-2020, 09:41 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 09:11 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I'm not saying you might have been more likely to get away with it back then, I was wondering if common courtesy was more prevalent back then than it is today.

My parents and grandparents used to not even bother with locking the doors, they are the complete opposite today.  My mother had been anti-gun all her life, but I've been working on her all of mine.  She finally said she is thinking about getting a gun.

Society has changed, and not for the better.

I  have been thinking about what you asked in your post a lot lately. Mainly because I see so many people writing that they think this way. I still live in the country, and no, a lot has not changed, and yes, a lot has.

Common courtesy, protecting and looking out for your neighbors, swapping and sharing goods, are still common traits of a good neighbor. The bumper fell off my SUV leaving me stuck on our 5 mile dirt road, less than two miles from my front door. My neighbor drove past me, went home, got the tractor, came back, towed me home. He then spent a couple of hours laying in the dirt on his back welding the bumper back onto the frame. He said maybe ten words the whole time, he is a very quiet kind of guy, and all he would accept was a cold glass of water. A strong community is built on the foundation of being a good neighbor, it also helps you have good neighbors if you treat your neighbors the way you want to treated.

There will be skirmishes, because crap happens. One of my neighbors has spent thousands of dollars building and rebuilding his fence to keep his critters in. It works for several months, then I walk outside and Charlie Brown and the wandering band of rovers, are eating the grass in my front yard or I walk out to 20 of my neighbors pigs in my pond. It does not bother me, but it bothers some of the others. It causes friction but we manage.

We lock our doors now, when folks out here had not locked their doors in over fifty years. But.... most of us share keys to each other's houses, and many of us have neighbor gates, because it takes way too long to travel from door to door by way of the driveway.

I see a lot of dissension on TV and on the internet. I do not see it outside my front door, and I doubt very seriously I ever will. I would be lying if I said  what I see in virtual land does not disturb me, and we talk about it sometimes when the heat is turned way up, but so far we all agree that we are lucky we have each other. I am not saying the fight is not real. I am not saying the virus is not real. I am saying that it may be coming but it has not come here yet. If or when it does, I think we will be ready for it and I pray that it is short lived.
I hope you don't have to encounter any of that either.  In my opinion, being in the country is the place to be when the shit hits the fan.

I've wanted to move out of Philly for a long time.  We're in a nicer section, but still, I wouldn't want to be here if Chauvin got exonerated lol.

I went to college out in "the sticks" of PA, and on the whole, people were more friendly, genuine, and down to earth than they are here.  Everybody here is in a great big rush all the time.  Encountering rudeness is a daily occurrence, and don't even get me started on how people drive LOL.
(06-28-2020, 02:56 AM)guohua Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 01:59 AM)veteranhumanbeing Wrote:

Are you Thinking,,,,,

Thank you for finishing my thought GUOHUA: "Never make a death wish, it will always come true and you will love it".