Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Thylacine .
Photo 
This is as you probably gathered is about the Thylacine or as is more commonly known or more to the point was known as, the Tasmanian Tiger. For those of you who are not Australian or even those that are for that matter here is a picture. If you do nothing else watch the video at the end, it is truly haunting.

[Image: H6guYM3.jpeg]

A bit of information from Wikipedia.

Quote:The thylacine resembled a large, short-haired dog with a stiff tail which smoothly extended from the body in a way similar to that of a kangaroo.[33] The mature thylacine ranged from 100 to 130 cm (39 to 51 in) long, plus a tail of around 50 to 65 cm (20 to 26 in).[36] Adults stood about 60 cm (24 in) at the shoulder and weighed 20 to 30 kg (40 to 70 lb).[36] There was slight sexual dimorphism with the males being larger than females on average.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine#...FA-38][37][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine#cite_note-FA-38]
This magnificent animal disappeared perhaps forever on the seventh of September 1936 in the Hobart zoo. And for what? Seems this animal had a reputation for killing livestock. Sheep, chicks and the like. A reputation that maybe a little unwarranted. Maybe? Below is a photo later found to be set up.

[Image: 257091774.png]

Quote:With its dog-like head, powerful jaws and striped body, the thylacine was soon labelled a marsupial 'wolf', 'tiger' or 'hyena', and increasingly demonised as a sheep-killer - although feral dogs and thieving humans were a much greater threat to the livestock industry.
This photo was taken at the same time that calls were first being made to protect them and may have gone a long way towards that not coming about at that time. So a few livestock, maybe, caused there demise .

A part of me wants to believe that somewhere in Tasmania's vast wilderness there are pockets of these still surviving . The other part of me knows this is just wishful thinking . But Tasmania is a large place.
 As of 2016, 52% of Tasmania's land area has some form of reservation classification,  About 42 % by the national parks and wildlife service, or about 27,097 square Km / 10462 square miles. 

Maybe, just maybe.
Wiki didn't didn't code right, that happens some time.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(06-23-2020, 05:19 AM)hutch622 Wrote: This is as you probably gathered is about the Thylacine or as is more commonly known or more to the point was known as, the Tasmanian Tiger . For those of you who are not Australian or even those that are for that matter here is a picture .If you do nothing else watch the video at the end , it is truly haunting .

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7831]

A bit of information from Wikipedia .

Quote:The thylacine resembled a large, short-haired dog with a stiff tail which smoothly extended from the body in a way similar to that of a kangaroo.[33] The mature thylacine ranged from 100 to 130 cm (39 to 51 in) long, plus a tail of around 50 to 65 cm (20 to 26 in).[36] Adults stood about 60 cm (24 in) at the shoulder and weighed 20 to 30 kg (40 to 70 lb).[36] There was slight sexual dimorphism with the males being larger than females on average.[37]
This magnificent animal disappeared perhaps forever on the seventh of September 1936 in the Hobart zoo . And for what . Seems this animal had a reputation for killing livestock . Sheep , chicks and the like . A reputation that maybe a little unwarranted . Maybe ? . Below is a photo later found to be set up.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7832]

Quote:With its dog-like head, powerful jaws and striped body, the thylacine was soon labelled a marsupial 'wolf', 'tiger' or 'hyena', and increasingly demonised as a sheep-killer - although feral dogs and thieving humans were a much greater threat to the livestock industry.
This photo was taken at the same time that calls were first being made to protect them and may have gone a long way towards that not coming about at that time . So a few livestock , maybe , caused there demise .

A part of me wants to believe that somewhere in Tasmania's vast wilderness there are pockets of these still surviving . The other part of me knows this is just wishful thinking . But Tasmania is a large place .
 As of 2016, 52% of Tasmania's land area has some form of reservation classification,  About 42 % by the national parks and wildlife service , or about 27,097 square Km / 10462 square miles . 

Maybe , just maybe .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-23-2020, 08:55 AM)hutch622 Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 05:19 AM)hutch622 Wrote: This is as you probably gathered is about the Thylacine or as is more commonly known or more to the point was known as, the Tasmanian Tiger . For those of you who are not Australian or even those that are for that matter here is a picture .If you do nothing else watch the video at the end , it is truly haunting .

Quote:The thylacine resembled a large, short-haired dog with a stiff tail which smoothly extended from the body in a way similar to that of a kangaroo.[33] The mature thylacine ranged from 100 to 130 cm (39 to 51 in) long, plus a tail of around 50 to 65 cm (20 to 26 in).[36] Adults stood about 60 cm (24 in) at the shoulder and weighed 20 to 30 kg (40 to 70 lb).[36] There was slight sexual dimorphism with the males being larger than females on average.[37]
This magnificent animal disappeared perhaps forever on the seventh of September 1936 in the Hobart zoo . And for what . Seems this animal had a reputation for killing livestock . Sheep , chicks and the like . A reputation that maybe a little unwarranted . Maybe ? . Below is a photo later found to be set up .

This photo was taken at the same time that calls were first being made to protect them and may have gone a long way towards that not coming about at that time . So a few livestock , maybe , caused there demise .
[video=youtube]http://https://youtu.be/odswge5onwY[/video]
A part of me wants to believe that somewhere in Tasmania's vast wilderness there are pockets of these still surviving . The other part of me knows this is just wishful thinking . But Tasmania is a large place .
 As of 2016, 52% of Tasmania's land area has some form of reservation classification,  About 42 % by the national parks and wildlife service , or about 27,097 square Km / 10462 square miles . 

Maybe , just maybe .
The more i tried to fix it the worse it seemed to get sadly .

[Image: Struth.jpg]

I'm now officially dyslexic.

Kind regards,

bally
(06-23-2020, 09:00 AM)Bally002 Wrote: [Image: Struth.jpg]

Kind regards,

bally

It's all about having a bit of faith!!!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
@"hutch622" I've tried tidying up the OP, it's not perfect, but I hope it's a bit better for you?
cheers,
G

LOVE Thylacine posts/threads - Long LIVE the Tassie!
(*I believe they ARE still out there)

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(06-23-2020, 05:19 AM)hutch622 Wrote: ...But Tasmania is a large place .
 As of 2016, 52% of Tasmania's land area has some form of reservation classification, About 42 % by the national parks and
wildlife service , or about 27,097 square Km / 10462 square miles . 

Maybe , just maybe...

I saw this article from 2019 and along with you, wished that maybe the Tasmanian Tiger made it through.
minusculethumbsup

Quote:Is this proof the Tasmanian tiger is still alive?
Farmer spots a mystery beast prowling through the bush – and it wasn't scared of humans.

*A farmer has spotted a strange creature in bushland near a Victorian town
*The image he posted online has sparked rumours it could be a Tasmanian tiger
*Tasmanian tigers are widely believed to have become extinct in the 20th century
*The creature was 'funny looking' with a 'big long tail and stumpy ears'

'A farmer has shared an image of what many believe to be a Tasmanian tiger near a town in Victoria.
Local resident Peter Groves spotted the creature while out walking near Clifton Springs on Friday, and managed to take
a quick snap on his mobile phone.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7833]

Having posted the image to social media, a range of theories have been put forward, including suggestions that the creature
is the long-lost Tasmanian tiger. Mr Groves said the creature seemed unafraid and stood watching him for around five minutes.
'It could just be a mangy fox, but it seems to be bigger than a fox and it's not shy,' he said.

'There is a lot of bush and a lot of cover and I think it's living quite comfortably there.' 
Mr Groves was on a walking track between Beacon Point and Portarlington when he glimpsed the strange-looking animal
down a gorge, the Geelong Advertiser reports.

The farmer described the animal as 'funny looking' with a 'big long tail and stumpy ears'. 
This was allegedly Mr Groves' second sighting on the creature in a matter of weeks, and he said he wouldn't write off the theory
that it could be a Tasmanian tiger. 'The picture I've got; even though it's a bit fuzzy because it was taken on my mobile, it actually 
hows the features of the animal quite well,' he said.

Tasmanian tigers had the general appearance of a medium-to-large sized dog with a stiff tail, abdominal pouch and dark stripes
across its lower back. They were the largest known carnivorous marsupials and are widely believed to have become extinct on
mainland Australia in the 20th century...'
Archived Source:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-23-2020, 09:27 AM)gordi Wrote: @"hutch622" I've tried tidying up the OP, it's not perfect, but I hope it's a bit better for you?
cheers,
G

I fixed it up for him, the images were from the net and possibly still not actually linked to their original
web-page. The video wasn't deposited in the video insert facility.

Hope Hutch622 didn't mind?!
(06-23-2020, 09:18 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 09:00 AM)Bally002 Wrote: [Image: Struth.jpg]

Kind regards,

bally

It's all about having a bit of faith!!!

True, Hutch and I are old mates.  I had no doubt.  Hutch is a great detective even without Starsky.  Thanks for fixing it up.

Kind regards,

Bally
The thylacine is my all time favourite cryptid. I'd love for them to still be around, but all the photo's I've seen look like mangy foxes. 
One of my hobbies is making model animals (badly!) So I'm very aware of anatomy, and the animals in the recent photos are not put together the same way as the ones in the old films and photos. Look at the leg joint placement and head shape and you will see what I mean.
I am WonderCow....hear me moo!
(06-23-2020, 09:27 AM)gordi Wrote: @"hutch622" I've tried tidying up the OP, it's not perfect, but I hope it's a bit better for you?
cheers,
G

LOVE Thylacine posts/threads - Long LIVE the Tassie!
(*I believe they ARE still out there)

G

Thank you so very much Gordi . The more i tried to fix it the worse it got . Baby steps on a new site i guess .
(06-23-2020, 09:35 AM)BIAD Wrote:
cheers,
G

I fixed it up for him, the images were from the net and possibly still not actually linked to their original
web-page. The video wasn't deposited in the video insert facility.

Hope Hutch622 didn't mind?!

And a big thank you to you BIAD .
(06-23-2020, 09:00 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

This magnificent animal disappeared perhaps forever on the seventh of September 1936 in the Hobart zoo . And for what . Seems this animal had a reputation for killing livestock . Sheep , chicks and the like . A reputation that maybe a little unwarranted . Maybe ? . Below is a photo later found to be set up .

Maybe , just maybe .

Kind regards,

bally
Obviously you seen the total screw up first attempt .lol . Thankfully Gordi and BIAD . fixed it for me .
(06-23-2020, 01:59 PM)hutch622 Wrote: Obviously you seen the total screw up first attempt .lol . Thankfully Gordi and BIAD . fixed it for me .

Don't thank BIAD... he'll ask for payment in the form of cotton-candy!
tinylaughing

Then certain polaroids of the Man-Girl in curious poses start getting sent to your house.
tinysurprised
(It's me who he asks to acquire the postage stamps and it costs me a fortune!)

No problems, mate.
(06-23-2020, 01:59 PM)hutch622 Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 09:00 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

Maybe , just maybe .

Kind regards,

bally
Obviously you seen the total screw up first attempt .lol . Thankfully Gordi and BIAD . fixed it for me .

All's good mate.  Looking forward to catching up with you, downing frothies and eating crab.

Bally tinylaughing
A year or so ago, I watched a show called "Extinct or Alive" in which a trio of experts searched for living animals that had been classified as extinct.  They managed to capture several pictures that certainly looked to be a Thylacine.

I had tucked this article away for future reading:    Tamanian Tiger Spotted After Extinction   

Quote:A newly released document from the Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment details eight sightings reported in the last three years. The animal, also known as a thylacine, had stripes, a pouch and a dog-like head with large and powerful jaws, according to the Australian Museum.

From what I have read in the past, the settlers feared the children because of the Thylacine immense jaws.  Somewhere, years ago, I saw a picture of a little girl scratching under the chin of one the poor animals caged awaiting slaughter.

LJ
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8270]
You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. There is NO middle ground.