Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Change
Lyssa opened her eyes and stood, feeling the currents of energy slowly moving through her lithe body.

Something had Changed. What had Changed she did not know. She did know, however, what would come next.

There would be visitors again, first the brave but foolhardy lone trespasser. Then the pairs or trios, then the groups.

Lyssa sighed, rolling her shoulders and twisting her head. There was the satisfying “crack” of vertebrae settling into place. It had been a wonderful respite… spending quiet days with her pets in the lush valley she called home.

But battle was coming and she honestly enjoyed it. She was made for it.

Her right hand caressed the Dragon-boned handles of her twin blades. She had been given them when time began and they had proven themselves through thousands of battles. They were, as always, ready.

Her left hand she stretched out, feeling the magical currents coalesce in her palm. A purple glow engulfed her fingers, pulsing in time with her heartbeat. She clenched her fingers and extinguished the light.

She was ready for what was to come.

Lyssa walked to the middle of her valley, the earth warming the soles of her bare feet. Energy emanated from the ground and was collected then stored in her body for later. She stopped, closed her eyes and waited.

The first one would come soon, as they always did after the Change.

Time slowed for Lyssa as she concentrated, allowing her consciousness to extend out into her valley. A spiders-web of awareness that would alert her to the presence of others.

It wasn’t long before the first invader appeared.

He was roughly dressed, with a helm she had never seen before. Long blonde hair framed a face that was almost too angular to be called handsome, but somehow he was. He clenched a long sword in his hands that looked to be the worse for wear. A tattered backpack was slung between his broad shoulders.

Lyssa allowed him to approach.

He was thirty feet away before he realized she was there. A look of shock, a battle cry and an awkward rush towards her was his welcome.

Her left hand raised, energy swirling into a vortex of power that became blinding.

She whispered the Word.

Soon after she pulled one of her knives from his chest, wiping it clean on his tattered vest while humming a dirge that she thought relevant to the occasion.

Putting it back in its place she walked back to the center of the clearing, closed her eyes and waited.

Lyssa allowed a grin to play across her face for a moment.

She always enjoyed the Change.

Chris closed the window on his monitor, took off his headphones and swiveled around to the others watching.

“Well, what do you think? Successful patch for Lyssa or what?”

Jamie started to speak, stopped and started again.

“Are you sure you haven’t buffed her too much? Her DPS is insane now and it’ll take a group of 4 at least to take her down. Doesn’t this just discourage the solo player?

His face reddening, Chris struggled to keep his composure.

“Lyssa is the biggest draw we have in that zone. Hell, we have more LFG’s to take her down than any other character in the game that isn’t a Boss. She at least needs a fighting chance!”

Chris threw up his hands and stood.

“If any one of you has a better idea, make a better character. I’m standing by my part of the patch. I’m tired and have put too many hours into this to argue about it. Have a good night!”

He left the cubicle so fast that a fan art poster of Lyssa waved in the air for a moment, a forlorn flag that drew their attention from Chris leaving for the elevators.

Jesse put his hand on Jamie’s shoulder, an attempt at showing solidarity.

“He’s kinda right and I think you are too. But remember, this is his favorite NPC.”

THE END

(Ported over from ATS writing contest, topic "Artificial Intelligence")
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8135]

Excellent work!   minusculeclap
(06-22-2020, 10:19 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Excellent work!   minusculeclap

Thank you!

A few of my ramblings that won in contests I'm bringing over here.

I still read them for fun sometimes... this particular one kinda exploded so I expanded it and I'm working on a second chapter.

tinycool
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8135]

(06-22-2020, 10:26 PM)Lumenari Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 10:19 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Excellent work!   minusculeclap

Thank you!

A few of my ramblings that won in contests I'm bringing over here.

I still read them for fun sometimes... this particular one kinda exploded so I expanded it and I'm working on a second chapter.

tinycool
A great talent for story telling.

Liked this.

Bally
Heart 
@"Lumenari" Wonderful! 
I've been importing stuff too.