Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
An Odd Pastime
Heart 
@"Ahabstar" I love antiques and a good mystery. A piece of history found in the hallow of a tree, great find!
(06-30-2020, 05:20 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 04:31 PM)wessonoil Wrote: It is so refreshing to see people discussing Native American tribes fighting and going to war only because of the many, many people in academia that hold tight onto the Noble Savage idea.
It drives me insane that anyone would assume that any human tribe in the history of the world could exist without conflict. 

I had to quit doing research (locating and cataloging forgotten earthworks using lidar) with an old friend of mine because he was fully indoctrinated. He would insist that natives never fought or maintained defensive locations i.e. forts because there was no evidence of battles (which is total BS). When presented with data to the contrary he would say that it was old or out of date, but could never give me data. It was full blown "white guilt". He would also come up with theories before doing any research. He came to me talking about a mound in the Eaton cemetery that was so ludicrous. We only buried people there to defile the native burial ground and we also destroyed a circular enclosure in the process. Having already researched this mound I showed him the obelisk on top of it that clearly stated the mound was built, by settlers, for soldiers that were killed in a battle with natives and buried far away. The bodies were recovered and moved to the current location. All this info is available on the net or you can see it by visiting and reading at the site.  He is a research librarian!  tinyhuh tinylaughing

We quit talking after he told me that my ancestors were at fault since they have lived in this area since the late 1700's, so therefore I was as at fault. I told him to leave before he ended up in the E.R. 

Anyway thanks for the interesting info!

Odd that he would maintain a notion that the tribe never fought AND that there was a "circular enclosure" built by a tribe. What did he thing a "circular ENCLOSURE" would be for?

When the first Europeans arrived in North America, all of the Algonquian tribes on the east coast to hundreds of miles inland had circular palisaded villages because... intertribal war.

It was of course a "ceremonial" enclosure. As anyone who reads should know that just means, "We don't know what the hell this was for"