Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Favorite RPG
Hi. What's your favorite tabletop role playing game? My favorite is Call of Cthulhu, followed by Deadlands Reloaded (which uses the Savage Worlds system), and D&D. I also like the Lone Wolf adventure books. They were my introduction into role playing games. They're like Choose Your Own Adventure books but with combat.
Sorry, I don't play any games; none at all.
But, I'm sure there are some here who do. Maybe they'll stroll in and give you some feedback.
(06-21-2020, 07:18 PM)Captain Chaos Wrote: Hi. What's your favorite tabletop role playing game? My favorite is Call of Cthulhu, followed by Deadlands Reloaded (which uses the Savage Worlds system), and D&D. I also like the Lone Wolf adventure books. They were my introduction into role playing games. They're like Choose Your Own Adventure books but with combat.

Always an old fan of D&D. Played basic out of the old red and blue boxsets in the 80's. Still doing 5e around the table and on FG. CoC and the old WEG D6 Starwars along with Rifts were our group's favorites. And we tried out Cyberpunk Red's Beta Box a couple weeks ago. Seems to be a solid product in the works.
(06-21-2020, 09:11 PM)Ahabstar Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 07:18 PM)Captain Chaos Wrote: Hi. What's your favorite tabletop role playing game? My favorite is Call of Cthulhu, followed by Deadlands Reloaded (which uses the Savage Worlds system), and D&D. I also like the Lone Wolf adventure books. They were my introduction into role playing games. They're like Choose Your Own Adventure books but with combat.

Always an old fan of D&D. Played basic out of the old red and blue boxsets in the 80's. Still doing 5e around the table and on FG. CoC and the old WEG D6 Starwars along with Rifts were our group's favorites. And we tried out Cyberpunk Red's Beta Box a couple weeks ago. Seems to be a solid product in the works.

Star Wars sounds fun. I've heard of Rifts. Did you play the original Palladium  or did you play the Savage Worlds version?
Yep, D&D, CoC, Marvel superheroes, Conan, and the original Rune Quest (Middle Earth edition), anyone remember that? Also played the Illuminati card game a few times.
Lost touch with my old gaming buddies though.
It sucks losing gaming buddies. I was in a group and it just fizzled out. It sucks because I wrote an adventure and we never got through it.
Explanation: I feel the best game system that can work and apply to any RPG genre is Champions Hero System which is based on points to level the game and keep everything fair and balanced. I prefer the 4th edition of those rules.

However I feel this game here ...

Kult RPG

[Image: 200px-Kult_front_cover.jpg]

[Image: Kult_Divinity_Lost_Original_Cover.png]

... would interest many of my fellow rogues.

Personal Disclosure: ...

[Image: maxresdefault-1.jpg?w=1390&crop=1]
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
I've played that Champions game! I was trying to remember what it was called when I wrote my other post. 
Also played Cyberpunk and a fantasy game I can't recall the name of, but it had a character class called Thralls that were heavily tattooed fighters, a green skinned race of spellcasters and fairies! I wish I could remember more about it, I know it had a ton of character races and classes, it was like D&D on steroids!
I am WonderCow....hear me moo!
Explanation: Uhmmmm. Rings a bell ...

Shadowrun

[Image: 240px-Shadowrun4A.jpg]

Quote:Shadowrun is a science fantasy tabletop role-playing game set in a near-future fictional universe in which cybernetics, magic and fantasy creatures co-exist. It combines genres of cyberpunk, urban fantasy and crime, with occasional elements of conspiracy, horror and detective fiction. From its inception in 1989, Shadowrun has remained among the most popular role-playing games. It has spawned a vast franchise that includes a series of novels, a collectible card game, two miniature-based tabletop wargames, and multiple video games.

The title is taken from the game's main premise – that industrial espionage runs rampant in a near-future setting. A shadowrun – a successful data theft or physical break-in at a rival corporation or organization – is one of the main tools employed by both corporate rivals and underworld figures. Deckers (futuristic hackers) who can tap into an immersive, three-dimensional cyberspace are opposed by rival deckers and lethal, potentially brain-destroying artificial intelligences called "Intrusion Countermeasures Electronics" – "ICE" for short – who are protected by street fighters and/or mercenaries, often with cyborg implants (called cyberware), magicians, and other exotic figures, on such missions as they seek access, physical or remote, to the power structures of rival groups. Magic has also returned to the world after a series of plagues; dragons who can take human form have returned as well, and are commonly found in high positions of corporate power.

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps. minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
(06-22-2020, 02:26 PM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: Uhmmmm. Rings a bell ...

Shadowrun

Quote:Shadowrun is a science fantasy tabletop role-playing game set in a near-future fictional universe in which cybernetics, magic and fantasy creatures co-exist. It combines genres of cyberpunk, urban fantasy and crime, with occasional elements of conspiracy, horror and detective fiction. From its inception in 1989, Shadowrun has remained among the most popular role-playing games. It has spawned a vast franchise that includes a series of novels, a collectible card game, two miniature-based tabletop wargames, and multiple video games.

The title is taken from the game's main premise – that industrial espionage runs rampant in a near-future setting. A shadowrun – a successful data theft or physical break-in at a rival corporation or organization – is one of the main tools employed by both corporate rivals and underworld figures. Deckers (futuristic hackers) who can tap into an immersive, three-dimensional cyberspace are opposed by rival deckers and lethal, potentially brain-destroying artificial intelligences called "Intrusion Countermeasures Electronics" – "ICE" for short – who are protected by street fighters and/or mercenaries, often with cyborg implants (called cyberware), magicians, and other exotic figures, on such missions as they seek access, physical or remote, to the power structures of rival groups. Magic has also returned to the world after a series of plagues; dragons who can take human form have returned as well, and are commonly found in high positions of corporate power.

Yes! That's the one! Shadowrun, not Cyberpunk, although I have a feeling one of the modules might have been called Cyberpunk or something similar.
Neat! I never heard of those.
(06-22-2020, 02:26 PM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: Uhmmmm. Rings a bell ...

Shadowrun

A stream I watch did a really good Shadowrun campaign.
(06-21-2020, 09:29 PM)Captain Chaos Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 09:11 PM)Ahabstar Wrote:

Star Wars sounds fun. I've heard of Rifts. Did you play the original Palladium  or did you play the Savage Worlds version?

The original Palladium...and we played Palladium Fantasy a couple times but didn’t care for it. Which is odd because the Glitter Boys and Lei line Walkers appealed to us. As did the concept of being able to be ported in. Go figure... But seriously, I think we even ported some CoC characters one time. The DM did the conversions and handed us the character sheets When it was appropriate to do so.
Oh wow. Did the CoC characters have to roll sanity after finding themselves in another world?
(06-22-2020, 02:35 PM)Captain Chaos Wrote: Neat! I never heard of those.

I am hesitant to mention https://thetrove.net/ to you as you may see some .pdf copy of one of your books for portable reading while out and about...

I haven't played a RPG since I beat Diablo II. I used to love playing them, but I get too involved, and they really eat up a lot of my time, which I really don't have a lot of to spare. My on-call status for my job leaves me with a lot of make busy time, and a lot of waiting time, but I could never get away with playing a RPG while on-call for work, not the way I play them.

I miss them though.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Way back in the day, decades ago, there was an RPG called "Recon" that several of us used to play. It was put out by Palladium, as I recall. It was pretty simple in that everything worked on percentages, using percentage dice. At one point I wrote a BASIC program for it that rolled the dice for you and then did the table lookups that you were after, which made it even simpler and sped up the play. I also wrote another BASIC program to "roll up" characters off of basic user input into what sort of character they were after.

There were no "do-overs" or second chances. Once your character got to zero, he or she was permanently dead. We had a "Roll of Honor" on account of that, like the "Wall" at CIA HQ, but with names and data attached to the dead.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-22-2020, 03:19 PM)Captain Chaos Wrote: Oh wow. Did the CoC characters have to roll sanity after finding themselves in another world?

Been so long, I don’t recall. Talking mid 1990’s for that one.
I think @"Armonica_Templar" 
Will enjoy this Topic.

One of his Threads
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Had to dig through a huge list on rpggeek, but finally found the fantasy game I couldn't remember the name of. Turns out it was called Talislanta.

http://www.peedeepages.com/talislanta/le...index.html

I have a feeling our DM used the gurps system when we played it, rather than the tables in the book. Anyhow it's well worth a look if tabletop RPGs are your thing.