Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fluffy Bunny Feet [FBF2020]
Brian Vogle knew something was wrong when he went to unlock the office door. As soon as the key touched the lock it creaked open the tiniest bit.

Shit. It's already open. What the hell?

A little voice in the back of his mind was screaming at him to call the police. It started yelling even louder when he opened the door even more and got a whiff of a stench that he tried and failed to convince himself wasn't blood; blood and something else. There was a strange animal odor as well. He turned on the light and saw a trail of red footprints heading deeper into the office, toward a maze of cubicles and beyond. He looked at the floor behind him and saw more footprints in the hall leading up to the door. He didn't know how he'd missed them. Maybe it was because he was digging for his keys. Whatever the reason, there were these big prints heading into the office.

The prints were large, about human sized but didn't at all look human. They looked like animal tracks. He knelt down. His knees popped and broke the silence. He chuckled at himself. The tracks looked like rabbit tracks. They looked like whatever made them was bipedal though. The image of a man-sized bunny came to mind and he chuckled again. The chuckle died in his throat when he heard the soft thump back toward the bathrooms.

The warning yell in his head was screaming even louder now. He really regretted applying for this job. He'd lost his previous job when the company he worked for closed down. He'd had to take a cleaning job to pay the rent. At least it was a managerial position. Still, he had to make sure the buildings were cleaned and locked up and some of these places were creepy. He'd never liked this place. He'd hear strange noises all the time.

Instead of calling the police he found himself going toward the sound. He had to know. What if he called the cops and it turned out to be somebody working late.

What about those red footprints though?

He was in the cubicles now. They stretched on, about shoulder high, in a zigzag pattern. Little aisles cut vertically through them, leading deeper into the cubicles. The prints took a couple zigs and zags and led to the little hallway that had a drinking fountain and the restrooms. He followed them and stood in front of the men's room. The tracks ended at the door. The door had another stain on it where you'd touch it to push the door open. It looked like the front paw of a rabbit.

In his mind, Brian backed away, being as quiet as possible, and exited the office. He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and called the police. In reality, he pushed the door open, being careful not to touch the red stuff that might or might not be blood. His feet carried him into the men's room and turned him toward the stalls. The urinals were all empty. From this angle he could tell that all but one of the stall doors were open too. He walked to the closed stall and squatted down. Two big fluffy bunny feet were visible. They were white but had big, wet, red splotches all over them. He had a fleeting image of the white rabbit from that Monty Python movie and pushed the door open with his knuckle.

What met his horrified gaze was a man-sized rabbit. It had large, fang-like teeth and he was pretty sure the thing was carnivorous. He was also sure it wasn't a costume. The bloody drool oozing from the teeth was much too real. The blood covered bunny squealed and lunged forward. Brian didn't even have time to scream.

[Image: Evil-bunny.jpg]
I liked it.  Reminded me of walking around late at night at a worksite with offices and cubes.  Every once in a while, when one walked by, a "thump" could be heard . . . and the rooms were empty.

May have been the ventilation system, no idea, but it makes one wonder when one is alone and the time is oh-dark-hundred.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(07-03-2020, 03:53 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: I liked it.  Reminded me of walking around late at night at a worksite with offices and cubes.  Every once in a while, when one walked by, a "thump" could be heard . . . and the rooms were empty.

May have been the ventilation system, no idea, but it makes one wonder when one is alone and the time is oh-dark-hundred.

Cheers

I'm glad you liked it. It was a fun one to write.

Yeah I used to clean office buildings. They can be really creepy at night.
@"Captain Chaos" 

Excellent, just Excellent  minusculebeercheers
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-03-2020, 08:48 PM)guohua Wrote: @"Captain Chaos" 

Excellent, just Excellent  minusculebeercheers

Thank you.
minusculebeercheers Great story and great Pic.
Dark!

Well done!
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-03-2020, 10:41 PM)727Sky Wrote: minusculebeercheers Great story and great Pic.

Thank you. I've had the pic for years. The story just gave me an excuse to use it lol.
(07-03-2020, 11:27 PM)beez Wrote: Dark!

Well done!

Thank you!
(07-03-2020, 02:54 PM)Captain Chaos Wrote: Brian Vogle knew something was wrong when he went to unlock the office door. As soon as the key touched the lock it creaked open the tiniest bit.

[Image: Evil-bunny.jpg]

Dark and horrible... just like my soul.

I liked it... thank you for writing it!

The picture reminded me of the movie "Dead Alive", for some reason....

I'ma have to watch that one again.

minusculebeercheers
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8135]

Thanks. I enjoyed writing it.
I like that movie.
(07-07-2020, 04:37 AM)Captain Chaos Wrote: Thanks. I enjoyed writing it.
I like that movie.

My wife thinks I'm crazy (and a lot of other people do too, so maybe it is true) but I still watch Dead Alive and Bad Taste once in awhile.

I think it's awesome that a guy made those films and ended up directing LOTR.

Peter Jackson has about the same background as Steven Spielberg except he's from New Zealand.

tinylaughing
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8135]

I like Bad Taste too.
And here I was thinking I was good at writing creepy stuff...

That was downright Stephen King'ish.....

Well done! Loved it!!!

minusculebeercheers
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(07-08-2020, 03:05 PM)Sol Wrote: And here I was thinking I was good at writing creepy stuff...

That was downright Stephen King'ish.....

Well done! Loved it!!!

minusculebeercheers

Thanks. My work has been compared to his.