Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another push button idiot destroys the aircraft and kills everyone
The explanation was a bit complicated for me, but I think I got it.

Could poor-design of the cockpit equipment also be a factor? The gentleman mentions if you have
a chunky watch on, you can accidentally knock the 'Go Around' switch. (Like I know what I'm talking
about!)
Still, I'd presume the effect could be rectified without immediate danger.

Why would the pilot say his plane had stalled when it hadn't...? Is this just -as you suggest in the thread's
title, having a 'natural' feel for flying and not an automatic reliance on the instruments?

I know that this may seem opposing the commentator's conclusion, but I mean that within 'natural'
feeling, reliance on the instruments and flying experience should encompass that feeling.

In my world, what I mean is saying that going to the moon is now difficult because the old technology
has been usurped by modern technology and the grounded knowledge has been lost with it.

I want to agree with him and say that the 'trade' of flying is being diluted due to the shortages of pilots
that the commentator referred to, this essence of diligence via pride in one's skill has been lost in many
other industries.

But since the weight of handling people's lives is in the balance, I'd have thought the training wouldn't
have altered. Yet as I said earlier, the technology seems to have stripped-out factors of responsibility
and the 'old-school' knack of knowing how and when to fully embrace flight controls and when to
acknowledge their readings and one's own in tandem.
(I hope I made sense!)
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Every one knows that the Boeing 737 Max is a POS. But the thing is when the fault happened with US and European trained pilots they were able to take control and fly the aircraft. In one case where non US/European pilots flying they identified the problem turned the system off then found they could not fly the airplane without the computers and turned the system back on.
PC wants us to believe everyone is equal and have the same IQ, its not true and people are dieing because of it.
To expand on my ignorance of aviation... the below chatter is completely over my head!

By the way, Sky... what does it mean when an automatic-sounding voice says "200" and
the pilot says "continue"?
(01-12-2020, 07:05 PM)BIAD Wrote: To expand on my ignorance of aviation... the below chatter is completely over my head!

By the way, Sky... what does it mean when an automatic-sounding voice says "200" and
the pilot says "continue"?
The aircraft has a radar altimeter which will call out altitudes all the way down to 10 feet depending on how you have it set up. This is handy when the visibility is restricted as many Cat 2 ILS systems (instrument landing systems) minimum decent without seeing the runway environment is 200 feet then you go around. Cat 3 we could go lower than that
(01-13-2020, 10:12 AM)727Sky Wrote: The aircraft has a radar altimeter which will call out altitudes all the way down to 10 feet depending on how you have it set up. This is handy when the visibility is restricted as many Cat 2 ILS systems (instrument landing systems) minimum decent without seeing the runway environment is 200 feet then you go around. Cat 3 we could go lower than that

minusculethumbsup  Thank you.