Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fungi that eats radiation found living inside Chernobyl nuclear reactor
Man makes a mess, nature has a way to clean it up

Quote:A type of black fungus that eats radiation was discovered inside the Chernobyl nuclear reactor.

In 1991, the strange fungus was found growing up the walls of the reactor, which baffled scientists due to the extreme, radiation-heavy environment.
Researchers eventually realized that not only was the fungi impervious to the deadly radiation, it seemed to be attracted to it.
A decade later, researchers tested some of the fungi and determined that it had a large amount of the pigment melanin — which is also found, among other places, in the skin of humans.
People with darker skin tones tend to have much more melanin, which is known to absorb light and dissipate ultraviolet radiation in skin.
However in fungi, it reportedly absorbed radiation and converted it into some type of chemical energy for growth.
In a 2008 paper, Ekaterina Dadachova, then of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, noted that the fungi attracted to radiation are unlikely to be the first examples of their kind.
“Large quantities of highly melanized fungal spores have been found in early Cretaceous period deposits when many species of animals and plants died out. This period coincides with Earth’s crossing the “magnetic zero” resulting in the loss of its “shield” against cosmic radiation,” the paper’s introduction states.
The fungi indicate that there could be places in the cosmos — which we are unaware of — where organisms could live in radiation-filled environments.
source
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH, THE EU IS FATHER AND MOTHER
That would be Fantastic!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Good to know.  Maybe all is not lost after all.

If this was discovered in 2008, I'm sure the scientists have developed a way to use it to eat up large spills by now.
At least, I hope they have.   tinysurprised
From my reading of it, the fungus uses RADIATION, rather than the radioactive substance, as energy to create food, similar to the way plants use LIGHT rather than the sun itself, to create their food. It's a neat trick if you can do it (and there is no biological or physical reason they can't), but it does nothing to remove the radioactive isotopes - it only uses their output for energy.

It would seem to me that all forms of radiant energy - light, radioactivity, radio waves, etc - could be used by some organism somewhere to power itself, without disturbing the actual source of the radiant energy.

Pretty cool that an organism has been found that not only is not killed by ionizing radiation, but actually thrives in that environment! It hold possibilities for extraterrestrial life in places we have heretofore thought life would be impossible.

There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio,  Than are dreamt of in your philosophy...

" I don't mind killin' a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight... or if there's money involved... or a woman... "

- Jayne Cobb, Hero of Canton