Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This Charger Takes Over Your Phone to Poison the Ad Data Amazon Wants
This is interesting, makes one think how many "cheep" chargers have been set up to steal data. Almost all people think they need to download something off the net few people think that a charger/ charger point could steal data. One way to stop this is if you need to use a unknown changer use a lead that has charge only no data transfer or set your phone up to accept charge only no data 

Quote:The FANGo charger hijacks your phone and creates junk data by aimlessly clicking, searching, and scrolling through sites like Amazon and Youtube

By Edward Ongweso Jr
Oct 28 2019, 4:15pm
ShareTweetSnap

IMAGE: MARTIN NADAL
Martin Nadal, an artist and coder based in Linz, Austria, has created FANGo, a "defense weapon against surveillance capitalism" that is disguised as a mobile phone charger.
On his page introducing the device, Nadal explains that the inside of the charger hides a micro controller that takes control of an Android smartphone by accessing the operating system’s Debug Mode. The device then makes queries and interacts with pages on Google, Amazon, YouTube, and other sites "in order to deceive data brokers in their data capture process." It works similar to a fake Apple lightning cable, now mass-produced, that hijacks your device once connected.

Tools to frustrate tracking attempts by advertisers or data brokers are not new—AdNauseam is a plugin that clicks on all ads, while TrackmeNot does random searches on different search engines. Such projects, however, exclusively focus on desktops and web browsers. "Today we interact with the internet from the mobile mostly,” Nadal told Motherboard in an email. “We also use applications, where there is no possibility of using these plugins that hinder the monitoring making the user helpless."
The device’s name is an acronym for Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, and Google, who represent some of the most profitable companies in the world. Nadal, however, sees them as the engines of surveillance capitalism, a theorization of contemporary capitalism by Susanna Zuboff, a Harvard Business School professor emeritus.
"What struck me the most is the idea that surveillance capitalism feeds on human experiences to turn them into predictions about our behavior," Nadal told Motherboard. "I find this approach specifically evil and that is where the idea of creating a 'weapon against surveillance capitalism' caught my interest."
The result is an economic system where data-hungry companies pursue profits by exploiting human behavioral data to manipulate human behavior.
As a result, FANGo has a simple mission: disrupt the mechanics, add noise to the extracted data, and poison the quality of the data so that it can't be reliably used or sold. There are other ways you can poison your data as well, whether by literally filling Facebook posts with nonsense or browsing the internet while leaving a fake data footprint.

Nadal is working on adding new features that might take such poisoning even further, using techniques such as geolocation spoofing. "[W]hile my phone is quietly charging at home, the data brokers think that I am walking or dining in another part of the city or world," he sa
id.
source
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH, THE EU IS FATHER AND MOTHER
They're going to get you, doesn't matter what you do to your phone. 

I've seen information, which I think is posted on RN somewhere, about how the satellites are capable of zooming in to be able to read the newspaper a man is holding while sitting on a park bench. They can see people through walls, and listen in on conversations using their smart devices within the home and cars.
Heck, they probably even have "invisible" spies walking among us listening to our conversations outside! I wouldn't put it past them!
I went a different route - I "de-Googled" my mobile phone, eliminated the browser and anything that would try to connect for data, and deleted the "location services" code as well as any unnecessary (for telephony) bits and pieces, so that now it will do nothing but talk, which is what Alexander Graham Bell invented telephones to do.

Of course, the phone can still be located through triangulation off the cell towers that service it, but no signal can reach it from any of them in many of the areas I go to (including my home), so that tracker is (for the moment) defeated by terrain for the most part. I figured out that sensing locations was a must when I realized that all "network extenders" have to have a GPS antenna to work - these are devices that provide a cell signal via internet where no other signals can reach.

I learned an old maxim long ago that "where you are not allowed to be armed is exactly where you NEED to be armed", and that applies to this technology as well - there must be SOME reason they need to know cell phone locations, so it's good to deprive them of that knowledge whenever possible.

The spur that caused me to de-Google my phone was the second time it turned itself on and just sat listening to the room. I figured they didn't need to listen to my conversation, or breathing rate for that matter, for any good reason, so I put a stop to it.

That may be in some way connected with their insistence that I need a NEW phone by the middle of next summer, as they are going to kill off my current one. I feel, deep in my soul, that they are dead WRONG, and I don't really need ANY phone, a new one or not, and so the middle of next summer is likely to be the utter end of my associations with cell phones, or any phones for that matter. I have no home phone, and don't plan to get one. Can't think of any good reason to stay tethered to telephony, and all the negativity that entails.

" I don't mind killin' a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight... or if there's money involved... or a woman... "

- Jayne Cobb, Hero of Canton
I think that one needs to find a balance, too much security on your PC and phone draws interest to you. Not using the internet draws interest to you, the thing is to find good security but fit into the herd so TPTB have no reason to look at you. Its the same thing that I do when talking to someone in a bar or some where else there is a lot of people, I never talk about things I dont want others to hear.
Not having a phone draws attention in you, best to have one but know its dangers, same with the internet, I use VPN but understand its dangers, I stay well away from TOR as if you use it that draws too much interest.
I understand that "freedom is just another word for the government knows" 
I believe that the best kept secrets are ones everyone knows
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH, THE EU IS FATHER AND MOTHER