Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brexit: UK votes to leave EU in historic referendum
Which leads to,,,,,,
Quote:FIVE European countries may seek to follow Britain’s lead in leaving the EU in a Brexit domino effect, Germany has warned.
France, the Netherlands, Austria, Finland and Hungary could leave.
Front National leader Marine Le Pen has pledged to hold a French referendum if she emerges victorious in next year's presidential elections.
While for the past two months a Nexit has been on the cards after Dutch voters overwhelmingly rejected a Ukraine-European Union treaty
[Image: Brexit-Angela-Merkel-683224.jpg] Link
Britain Has Kicked Open The Door,,,, Good For Them!  minusculebeercheers
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
@"guohua" 

LOL

minusculebeercheers

To be a fly on the wall as the clinton team changes strategy

minusculechairshot
Brexit vote a warning to Clinton campaign

Quote:The United Kingdom’s stunning decision Thursday to leave the European Union offers stark lessons to Hillary Clinton’s campaign, which has struggled to combat Donald Trump’s populist and nationalistic appeal to voters in this country.

The Brexit vote became a referendum on immigration and the political establishment in the U.K., two lightning rods that are also dominating the presidential race in this country.

Trump celebrated the vote Friday, saying it was “a great thing” and would bring more visitors to his Scottish golf course because the pound would lose value. He lauded the Brits, fueled by anger over immigration, for taking “their country back.”

Trump isn’t the only one who thinks the social and economic forces behind the Brexit vote are also stoking populist anger in the United States.

“For Hillary Clinton’s campaign, this is something of a warning not to underestimate this disaffection, not to underestimate political and economic nationalism,” Richard Haas, the president of the Council on Foreign Relations, told reporters Friday.

Clinton leads Trump on average in national polls by about six percentage points, and her campaign has tens of millions more dollars cash on hand and hundreds more staffers than his. But if the Brexit decision slows growth in the United States or causes more economic turmoil here, it’s possible that an economic recession could fuel voter discontent further, changing the dynamics of the race. Americans could seek to kick out Democrats and elect Trump as a reaction to the sluggish growth, even though Trump backed the U.K.’s decision to leave. On Friday, the vote sent shock waves through the British and global stock markets, and the value of the pound plunged.

But Clinton’s top advisers insisted Friday that Brexit would help her campaign, as voters would seek an experienced political leader in the face of economic turmoil.

Jen Palmieri, Clinton’s top spokeswoman, said people will be looking for certainty in times of global economic upheaval. “The lesson out of all of this is that we need someone like Hillary Clinton in the Oval Office, not someone erratic and divisive like Donald Trump,” Clinton senior adviser Jake Sullivan told reporters. Sullivan said Trump was a “reckless egomaniac” with a “pathological” need to congratulate himself after world crises, and that voters would reject him even more in times of crisis.

But Sullivan also dismissed the idea that the Brexit vote can be compared to the U.S. presidential election.

“It is really important to recognize that a vote on whether the U.K. stays in or leaves the E.U. is profoundly different from a vote on who should be commander in chief of the United States,” Sullivan said. “There are a variety of factors that went into this vote in the U.K. and obviously a sense of deep frustration and alienation among the voters was one of them, but there are other factors as well. Hillary Clinton is not focused on what is happening in the U.K., but on what is happening in the United States.”

But there are clearly lessons for Clinton to learn from British Prime Minister David Cameron, who repeatedly used the phrase “stronger together,” a Clinton campaign slogan, while unsuccessfully stumping for Brits to vote to remain in the E.U.

The “Remain” campaign was criticized for attempting to rally people to their side solely by scaring them about the horrors of leaving. “[The Remain campaign] seemed to consist largely of pocketbook warnings that people would be worse off outside the Europe Union,” wrote one journalist. “It was not inspirational. It failed.”

[Image: 0085ddaf51af7fc9e0f7c78d9711543d]View photos

Photo illustration: Yahoo News; photos: AP
More

That sounds similar to criticisms Sen. Bernie Sanders has made of Clinton’s campaign. “We have got to work tirelessly to make sure that Trump is not president — but that is not good enough,” Sanders said in New York Thursday night, arguing that Democrats must put forward a progressive vision that’s more than just anti-Trump.

The Clinton campaign is aware that they need to balance a strategy of defining Trump negatively and delegitimizing him as a plausible candidate with one of motivating people to vote for Clinton, according to an aide. That’s why they spent millions of dollars last week to air ads touting Clinton’s past helping children and disadvantaged people early in her career, even as she’s begun giving regular speeches deconstructing Trump’s policy statements and painting him as dangerous and reckless.

The vote also carries lessons on how emotional and motivational the topic of immigration can be. Clinton and Trump could not be further apart on the issue. Trump wants to deport all 11 million undocumented immigrants in this country and then to build a border wall that he will convince Mexico to pay for. Trump’s also proposed temporarily banning all immigration from Muslim countries. Clinton has said she believes only immigrants who commit crimes should be deported, and that she will begin trying to pass comprehensive immigration reform with a path to citizenship in her first 100 days in office.

Sullivan said Clinton does not believe the American people are isolationist, and strongly believes Americans will reject ideas like building walls and banning millions of immigrants from coming to the country. “Nothing about what happened in the last 24 hours has changed her view on that,” Sullivan said.

Still, Brexit suggests that Clinton will need to inspire voters about her vision of an inclusive America.

“I think she has to and she will set forth a positive vision and explain why immigration has been so important,” said Richard Socarides, a Clinton supporter and former adviser to President Bill Clinton. “I think she will argue forcefully about how the values that our country symbolize are ones that make us welcoming.”

Propaganda but funny
The Devil Is In The Details.

There's a group of countries that are connected to each other by their borders.
These individual countries have acquired their lands long ago by warring with each other until the
futility of conflict was realised by both sides and an accord was reached.

The storms of growing-up as a people come and go. Millions of lives are lost in stupid causes
of despots and tyrants. The killling fields rarely offer anything in regards of nutrients.
A destructive decision arrived at one year falls away when that powerful decision-maker loses
heart or dies and incrementally, realms are either defeated or come to the conclusion that war is
not the answer.

It was decided that if one country stayed on a side of an agreed line in the soil or water and another
country stayed on the other side, then maybe there's a chance we'll all survive and live longer.
Geography can be a quite an assistant of detente when given the chance.

The anger and doubts that we all have about 'them over there' are shelved and as generations
pass, these negative views dwindle and yet for some reason, never truly go away. There are people
in the world who endeavour to see the best in folk and there are others not so self-assured.
Welcome to humanity.

So we live in peace. The countries learn to grow alongside each other and because we're a social
animal at our core, we're always inquisitive of how our neighbours are fairing. We see each other
everyday and because of no other reason than simple reality, there are times when we have to
interact with each other. Some may see it as a the seeds of trust.

It may begin with a simple nod of greeting across the borderline and blossom into a conversation
where both parties adapt to perceiving each other's different views of life without the rush of anger.
Hell, there may even be facets of how to live that you both agree on!

They have something you admire...? Well, we could go down the familair road of invasion and pillaging
for what we want, but that's costly and with no guarentee you won't lose what you already have.
Plus, the guy across the borderline isn't a bad soul really and I'm sure he's of the same frame of mind.

Okey-dokey then, we'll trade for the item we covet. Maybe it'll be easier all around if he comes across
the borderline at an agreed time to purchase the things he wants and visa-versa.
Just because I'm a nice guy, I'll throw in a straight path to where he wants to be.

And slowly... bit-by-bit, we learn that interaction with other countries is beneficial on so many levels.
We grow, we champion civilisation and perceive ourselves as not only neighbours, but partners in
acquiring through peaceful means, the prosperity we both desire.

Maybe the individual country's religions are different? Well, as long as there's no violence or insult to
the fellow across the way... sure, it's not my religion, but I respect yours. But heh... we're friends, right?
Read your books and aspire to the better pages of advice, it's the wise thing to do and I'm sure it's
written somewhere near the back. It should be underlined.

Production flourishes, the masses become less vocal on what they want from their leaders and as
the centuries pass, we become complacent in how we see ourselves as a group of nations in the world.
We need more growth, we can do better. There was a time when patriotism was paramount and
we knew that to get anything done, we had to do it ourselves. But... times change.
A task shared is a task halved, isnt that what they say?

Maybe together, we can enter the world-stage as a bigger voice and look to increase our spiritual
and fiscal wealth as more than just allies, we will announce to the world that we a union. We will watch
each other''s backs and place our wishes on the internatonal table of politics as one.

Other neighbours see the rational of this move and with a genuine smile, they ask to accompany us on
our journey. The shadows of ignorance will scatter as the bright illumination of confidence that there's
safety in numbers, shines out across the turgid gloom of humanity.
Oh, how they come running to join!

The cruel winds of commerce and the temperamental tides of balanced diplomacy seem easier now as
the multitude of countries sit around our communal campfire and discuss where to go next.
The many diverse attitudes take us to areas of thought that we would've never normally considered and
every voice is heard.
Although, not necessarily agreed with.

But what of the original two countries that peered over that mark in the ground so long ago? What do they
think in their hearts? That first nod, that initial greeting and the daring hope to trust, we did that.

Maybe we should be counsel over these 'Johnny-come-latelys' and make sure our original beliefs of
what we want out of this gathering isn't lost? Yes, for sure that's the sensible way to go, after all, we
were the first ones, we came up with the idea of a international community in the first place.

We will make trading easier and rub-out that line in the soil. We will embrace our new friends and
relate the rules that we are confident with. We will negotiate on a level playing-field and our politics will be
one. It could be said that really, all we've become is one entity... one country -if you will.

Any would-be enemies would be halted at the borders of our group and seeing the mighty force
of numbers we wield, they'll turn back and they will fear us. Our individual armies will close their ranks and
the patriotism they held for their little countries will now entwine with others to call out across the world,
'See what we can do together...? Marvel at our cooperative manner and our civilised way we stand
before you'

The world will slowy bend to our pressure of what we believe in, but in a style that's conducive to all
the other kingdoms we meet. It worked for two countries and then more, so why not roll out our business
and social blueprint for everyone across this blue sphere?

Of course, the deeper you wade into the nubilous lake of human perception of their surroundings, the
more you have to succumb to caveats to be able to find some common-ground to agree on in an amicable
manner.

Suggestions based on good faith for mutual benefit degrade into deals that seem to enrich the few and
are viewed as petty to the many. Your standing wanes as the nations you're dealing with see you cede to
what they deem as temptations and the faithful that you led come to wonder if their own interests are not
at the forefront of your mind.

Maybe those old grudges and doubts you held from long ago about your partners were correct, huh?
Maybe this once-simply-devised plan to prosper was never for all of us...? The rich always get the lion's
share, isn't that what your Fathers told you?

After all the dust has settled and the hopes of that mighty empire lays broken alongside shards of niave
dreams of global unity, the gouges in the dirt are back and the suspicious glances across the border
have returned.
Time goes on.

"Wanna buy a cow, fella?" comes a voice from across the way and is answered with "er, yeah sure"
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
It is with some rarity that one finds a partnership of more than two lasting much past a honeymoon era.
Even marriage with the added anchors of children may show no better than a 50% success rate.
Some of the best musical bands that had to merge their talents, skills, emotions, hopes and dreams to produce timeless masterpieces rarely survive for more than a few years or efforts.
RUSH is one of the truly anomalous exceptions to that rule.

I would like to have neighbors south of the border...that I did not fear (suspect).
I would like neighbors to the north that welcomed my visits, and I theirs.
It would be nice if everyone could live in the hope/aim of mutual prosperity & peace, but as long as there is disparity between the "Haves and Have-Nots", there will be suspicion, strife and servitude.

Sadly (for the "Haves"), the "Have-Nots" are more likely to reproduce/populate at a higher rate...producing even more "Have-Nots"...until one day, the "Have-Nots" outnumber the "Haves" enough to make a difference in the only way they are allowed - their meager little "one vote per one Have-Not"...and...the "Haves" must revamp to ensure that on the other side of the "Have-Nots votes", everything will settle in as it has been all along.

In part I wish the EU had survived.  I thought they made some good music together (not all of it, but some of it). I am glad, though, that the trampled voice of the working-class masses spoke up as loudly and clearly as they could, with the message they had the right to convey - "OUCH!"
Here's one that shows the average mentality of people today.

Angry Brits are demanding a re-run of the referendum following Friday's narrow decision
to leave the EU.

A petition calling for a second EU referendum has topped TWO MILLION signatures - more
than doubling the highest signed in parliamentary history.
The popular petition, which was started just one day ago, attracted so many signatures when
it first opened that the government's website crashed.

The enormous surge followed the initial 100,000 signatures which were created in a bid to get
London Mayor Sadiq Khan to declare the capital as independent.
Protesters are hoping that Khan will call for London to be classed separately from the UK and
therefore be able to apply to join the European Union.

SOURCE:

What isn't said is that only 35,000 are British signatures and 13,000 of them are French!
Think about that, a country decides via a ballot to do something and those who disagree
with the outcome demand that the country goes again... AND some of them don't even
live that country!!

But, the idea of creating a 'Vatican'-like capital for the sake of no getting one's own way in a
democratically-agreed ballot tells you a lot about today's society.
(06-25-2016, 09:48 PM)BIAD Wrote: ...What isn't said is that only 35,000 are British signatures and 13,000 of them are French.

I thought the French hated the British & visa versa...

A Vatican-like British Holy City.  Next, Scotland will be requesting Golf as substitute for prayer in all recognized religions (by each sovereign or deity).
As you say - the mentality is childish & sad.

What was Joe Cocker's tune...? "Cry Me A River"

:mediumcry:
(06-25-2016, 03:29 PM)Minstrel Wrote: ...In part I wish the EU had survived.  I thought they made some good music together (not all of it, but some of it).
I am glad, though, that the trampled voice of the working-class masses spoke up as loudly and clearly as they could,
with the message they had the right to convey - "OUCH!"

I can partly agree with you that the EU could have been a good thing. The down-side is the way
the un-elected hierarchy of the group stepped out of their serving and advising area and began
demanding individual countries to do their bidding.
(06-25-2016, 10:06 PM)BIAD Wrote: ... The down-side is the way the un-elected hierarchy of the group stepped out of their serving and advising area and began
demanding individual countries to do their bidding.
That's always a downside. The bureaucracy.
I just liked it because of how easily it allowed Jason Bourne to cross Europe and out of harms way.
(06-25-2016, 10:27 PM)Minstrel Wrote: That's always a downside.  The bureaucracy.
I just liked it because of how easily it allowed Jason Bourne to cross Europe and out of harms way.

GiantThumbsUp Lol!
(06-25-2016, 09:59 PM)Minstrel Wrote: I thought the French hated the British & visa versa...

...A Vatican-like British Holy City...

Well, we have had slight disagreements with the French in the past... minusculerolleyes and from my
view of the general situation of today, we tend to see each other as nodding acquaintances
who don't deem either side as a winner or loser.
Unless football is involved!

'Like a British Holy City'...! There are those who already see the worship of money as a
full-time task and it wouldn't surprise me if they also see banks in the fashion of a church!
I have a Plan to Appease  Germany and the other E U members that are having a Tantrum about Great Britain Leaving.
I bet we could get California to Recede from the Unites States and They'd Gladly Join The E U.
I think most of us would be Glad to see them leave. 
They already Hate Guns and Worship Money and Pander To Illegals! tinybiggrin
(06-26-2016, 10:57 AM)guohua Wrote: I have a Plan to Appease  Germany and the other E U members that are having a Tantrum about Great Britain Leaving.
I bet we could get California to Recede from the Unites States and They'd Gladly Join The E U.
I think most of us would be Glad to see them leave. 
They already Hate Guns and Worship Money and Pander To Illegals! tinybiggrin

That would be a grand idea, with California's massive debt, it would like having
a long-lost brother back! As with Greece, the EU would demand that the State's
chief product of tourism must be stifled because it may have an adverse effect
on Euro-Disney. (See Greece's Olive Oil debacle)

On the plus-side, the subsidies that The Golden State will be given to not grow
their oranges and such, will be formidable.
The UK hasn't sank into the North Sea yet and with it being Sunday, most of the newspapers
were already set-up by Friday evening and Saturday afternoon at the latest. This means their
words will still be jaded from their Masters' last orders.
That... is the nearest I can offer as an excuse for the lack of confidence most of them show
for the country.

But (said in a more upbeat and optimistic tone!) -here's something from the medium that
never sleeps.
Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein has told his staff there is "no immediate change to
the way we conduct our business" following Britain's historic vote on Thursday to leave the
European Union.

In an internal memo to employees seen by Business Insider, Blankfein and chief operating
officer Gary Cohn said the firm would work with the relevant authorities as the terms of the
outcome become clear.

The bank has about 6,000 employees based in London.

In a separate statement, Blankfein said:
"We respect the decision of the British electorate and have been focused on planning for either
referendum outcome for many months. Goldman Sachs has a long history of adapting to change,
and we will work with relevant authorities as the terms of the exit become clear.
Our primary focus, as always, remains serving our clients' needs."

Here is the internal memo:
June 24, 2016

UK Referendum on EU Membership

As you may have seen by now, the British people have voted to leave the European Union, and we
respect this outcome. We have had a strong team focused on this potential result for many months.

There is no immediate change to the way we conduct our business. A process of negotiating the terms
of the exit will now begin, and is expected to take a considerable period of time.

Goldman Sachs has a long history of adapting to change, and we will work with the relevant authorities
as the terms of the exit become clear. We are committed to our people and our clients, and will work
diligently to ensure the best possible outcome.
We will continue to communicate with you as relevant information becomes available.

Lloyd C. Blankfein

Gary D. Cohn
BUSINESS INSIDER UK:
I know I keep 'banging-on' about the way this EU Referendum took place and offering a negative
view on how information has been related to the public, but I also think it's a prime example of how
the mainstream media actually behave in such circumstances.

I tend to 'tune out' the TV Journalists talking to each other in the College Garden of Westminster as
it means little in regards of true information and is just grist for their eternal mill-grinding of intrigue.
But in a way, they're showing the real truth of what all this means to the British public.

Personally-beneficial politics and celebrity endorsements -based on the idea that a person who is
glorified by being famous by this media, is also a knowledgeable sage that will offer their view and be
listened to. This is what occurred in the run-up to the vote.
It took me back to my youth when teen-magazines offered pop-stars' opinions on what clothes to wear!

Polished debates in USA-style, where men and women shouted down each in front of cheering selected
audiences and delivered ten-words-or-less sound-bites. Members of Parliament sniping at each other
behind a desk on morning news, whilst the viewers attempt to find real facts among the caustic words
said in what seemed a jocular 'Heh, don't worry about it' manner.

What are the benefits and draw-backs of staying or leaving the European Union?
I can honestly say, I'm uncertain.

How much does the UK pay to the EU...? Well, a number was given and then ripped apart by the
opposition in favour of their side.

Their side...! Think about that. A whole country and it's outlying lands are asked by an elected official to
choose on something and when they turn to the conduits that have constantly smeared the headlines and
flashed on the television screens that they're the people in-the-know, it all became a jumbled bickering
match and the useful information was lost.

By the way, the only reason the referendum opportunity arose was because the man who eventually
became Prime Minister had it as a major plank for his platform to get voted into the job.

Stranded in the darkness of ignorance, I was left with this...

In one corner, we can see sensible a group of people who know where they are and how it works.
With a measured tone, they explained that we'd been in the community for a long time and that we
were a major player on the European stage.
It was implied that jobs, finance for areas of the UK and free passage from-and-to the continent could
be placed in peril if we leave.

Also, we're into our second generation of people now in as far as a full generation of people have grown-up
in an environment that was in the European Union and know no other way. So any negative information would
surely make them think that to leave would be a far-too radical idea.

If it didn't work, then surely the trusted media would have told us by now, the negatives would have surely
out-weighed the benefits?

The alternative was to leave.
To walk away from a system that provided a safe environment and a state where trade and a stronger voice
in the world were already ours. Somehow, people of supposed-importance were allowed to proclaim -by
accessing the airwaves and journals, that we should bring down our nation, create mass unemployment,
bring our currency to it's knees and lay waste all of what the EU has done for and with us.

The world has changed a lot since 1973 and we would be alone in the world again. The people who were
insisting we leave the EU would also be at the mercy of these supposedly terrible forces out there!
So why were they advising such a crazy idea?

Like children in a playground, we were supposed to pick a team because of the latest headline.
On Thursday 23rd June 2016, we were asked a simple question.
Taking in my evaluations above, loving my family very much and being seriously aware of what could happen
to this -and the next generation, my answer was leave.
BIAD wrote: 
Quote:Personally-beneficial politics and celebrity endorsements -based on the idea that a person who is
glorified by being famous by this media, is also a knowledgeable sage that will offer their view and be
listened to. This is what occurred in the run-up to the vote.
It took me back to my youth when teen-magazines offered pop-stars' opinions on what clothes to wear!

I Agree, it's the same here, with Movie and TV Personalities Slamming Trump, I always think to myself, Who Wrote Their Lines, They Can't Think On Their Own.
Or the Rap and Pop Singer doing the same thing, They're ignorant of the World Around Them, They have really sheltered and Controlled environments they live in.
They only thing they worry about is how they look to their fans.
Like a Second Rate Comedian, Aziz Ansari Slams Trump and it makes the News for a week straight. I never heard of this guy. What does he know about the world of Politics or Running a Business, he's a comedian and I don't think a very good one at that!
Or this Mouth Piece, Bill Maher, What does he know about Britain and what they desire and think about their Own Country.
He calls you all Racist for Voting For Freedom, that tells you a lot about todays media, they're Sheep being Lead Happily To The Slaughter!
(06-26-2016, 02:01 PM)guohua Wrote: ...I Agree, it's the same here, with Movie and TV Personalities Slamming Trump, I always think to myself,
Who Wrote Their Lines, They Can't Think On Their Own...
They only thing they worry about is how they look to their fans...

...Or this Mouth Piece, Bill Maher, What does he know about Britain and what they desire and think about
their Own Country. He calls you all Racist for Voting For Freedom, that tells you a lot about today's media,
they're Sheep being Lead Happily To The Slaughter!

It's a cheap and nasty way out.
It's simply based on the idea that anyone who isn't white, must be some kind of
trespasser on your land. As if you're some-sort of pure race and belong somewhere
back in the 4th century!

The irony is that the media strive to terrify you that anyone from the Middle-East is
a terrorist and then, when some who believe every word the news says, reacts,
the Politicians & Press Hacks scream 'racism' and call for a stronger migration control.

Then the sheep read it and spout it back to the papers because... well, it must be true
'cos it wuz in the newspaper!!

But there's another part to this that I haven't really looked into yet, if the media do listen
to the public, then why didn't they know how the vote would go?
Off the top of my head, I'd say it was because they were listening to their usual mouthpieces,
the politicians.
I must admit to being perplexed by all the hoopla surrounding this event. From an outsider's perspective, standing in the rain peeping in a window, it has the appearance of a ticked off population demanding their sovereignty and self determination back from a group of thugs, and in response a bunch of butt-hurt banksters want to wreck a few economies to teach the peasants a lesson, and a few koenigs and uber-fuhrers want to whip the same back into the ranks.

I've seen butt-hurt Germans across the internets trying to foment counter-rebellion in the British Isles - which indicates to me that the Germans hold the biggest bag of power in the EU, which is now, apparently, threatened. I personally don't think it's a good idea to give Germans too much sway in Europe, but that's just me. It didn't work out all that well the last couple times they tried that.

The biggest puzzle to me is Scotland. All my life I've heard tales of "freedom loving Scotsmen" who fought to maintain control of their own lives, from before Culloden, before even Wallace. That's partly why I even exist - some of those rowdy Scotsmen from the lowlands got in a tussle with England and got deported to northern Ireland for their troubles, eventually coming all the way across the pond and heading deeper into the woods to get away from royal control... and I'm one of the end results of that.

Now I hear that Scotland is all about throwing off one historical master for another, and I have to wonder where that zest for liberty has gone. I fail to understand why Scotland would leave the UK and cling to EU masters. There's just something there that obviously I'm not getting, some thought in the UK that I'm either not hearing or failing to grasp. Angela Merkel is an idiot on wheels - who really wants to live under her benevolent dictatorship (other than Syrian "refugees", that is)? Someone really needs to explain the insider view to me so I can understand what the thought process is.

One thing I feel is sure is that any time one attempts to break away from Masters, there is almost always hell to pay. we've attempted it twice here, and it got ugly both times. First time we won, second time they pounded us into bug dust, and then rubbed our noses in the dust for decades after - still happening, really, whenever they can get a smack in that they think won't be noticed... and that's over 150 years after the fact, and counting. When Masters start getting their power consolidated, they get a bit peevish about those they hold power over just walking away peacefully. It rarely ever happens. One day you declare independence, and the next men with guns are hiding in the trees to try and put the kybosh on that notion and attempt to drag you kicking and screaming back into the sheep fold.

We've been through that crap so much that we write songs about it so that the kids don't forget:

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-27-2016, 11:46 PM)Ninurta Wrote: I must admit to being perplexed by all the hoopla surrounding this event. From an outsider's perspective, standing in the rain peeping in a window, it has the appearance of a ticked off population demanding their sovereignty and self determination back from a group of thugs, and in response a bunch of butt-hurt banksters want to wreck a few economies to teach the peasants a lesson, and a few koenigs and uber-fuhrers want to whip the same back into the ranks.

I've seen butt-hurt Germans across the internets trying to foment counter-rebellion in the British Isles - which indicates to me that the Germans hold the biggest bag of power in the EU, which is now, apparently, threatened. I personally don't think it's a good idea to give Germans too much sway in Europe, but that's just me. It didn't work out all that well the last couple times they tried that.

The biggest puzzle to me is Scotland. All my life I've heard tales of "freedom loving Scotsmen" who fought to maintain control of their own lives, from before Culloden, before even Wallace. That's partly why I even exist - some of those rowdy Scotsmen from the lowlands got in a tussle with England and got deported to northern Ireland for their troubles, eventually coming all the way across the pond and heading deeper into the woods to get away from royal control... and I'm one of the end results of that.

Now I hear that Scotland is all about throwing off one historical master for another, and I have to wonder where that zest for liberty has gone. I fail to understand why Scotland would leave the UK and cling to EU masters. There's just something there that obviously I'm not getting, some thought in the UK that I'm either not hearing or failing to grasp. Angela Merkel is an idiot on wheels - who really wants to live under her benevolent dictatorship (other than Syrian "refugees", that is)? Someone really needs to explain the insider view to me so I can understand what the thought process is.

One thing I feel is sure is that any time one attempts to break away from Masters, there is almost always hell to pay. we've attempted it twice here, and it got ugly both times. First time we won, second time they pounded us into bug dust, and then rubbed our noses in the dust for decades after - still happening, really, whenever they can get a smack in that they think won't be noticed... and that's over 150 years after the fact, and counting. When Masters start getting their power consolidated, they get a bit peevish about those they hold power over just walking away peacefully. It rarely ever happens. One day you declare independence, and the next men with guns are hiding in the trees to try and put the kybosh on that notion and attempt to drag you kicking and screaming back into the sheep fold.

We've been through that crap so much that we write songs about it so that the kids don't forget:

I agree With you, the Bankster and the Germans are having a Tantrum, Look what they've threatened the Brit's with today.

Quote:Danuta Hübner, the head of the European Parliament’s Constitutional Affairs Committee (AFCO), warned Monday that English will not be one of the European Union’s official languages after Britain leaves the EU.

English is one of the EU’s 24 official languages because the U.K. identified it as its own official language, Hübner said. But as soon as Britain completes the process to leave the EU, English could lose its status.
 OK Fine, Piss On You and don't come talking to us unless you do speak English would be my reply.
Link
'...The biggest puzzle to me is Scotland...' -NINURTA.

I've looked at many different reasons on why Scotland were strong in their request to
stay in the European Union and they are of course, wildly diverse.

(To save my ass from being ravaged by Big Gordi, I took the sprinkling of reasons below
from all over the internet. They're not my views, Big 'un!)

Edinburgh is the UK's largest financial centre outside London.

Leaving the EU risks loss of banking jobs which would be a serious hit for the economy.

Many of the Scots are not big fans of the English Government that dictates from London.

Deprived areas of Scotland have benefited from EU funding.

Infrastructure has improved fro EU funding.

Scotland seems to be in favour of a broadly more left wing government- happy to be taxed
for free higher education, more money into the National Health Service.

Many of the Scots are not big fans of the English Government that dictates from London.

A Third of Scotland didn't bother to vote.
1.6 million voted to remain (same number who voted for leaving UK)
1.1 million voted to leave.
Only 500,000 more people voted to remain than leave EU.
Not the enormous majority that the media and Scottish National Party keep stating.
Nearly 40% voted to leave EU.

With England, there were also many factors that caused them to place an 'X' in the 'Leave' Box.
The media comment that immigration was one of the main reasons, but I would suggest the
word they really wanted to use was slightly-smaller. Migration.

It wouldn't be too-hollow of me to offer the reason many sections of wealthy London voted to
remain was due to the cheap labour migrants provide for lower-perceived jobs. Some of the
Eastern countries who are playing the poor cousins in the EU are enjoying the better-paid
employment that the wealthier Great Britain provides, but I know the Capital utilises it the most.

Then there's the financial benefits the country offers for unemployed men and women that
live here. Single mothers receive monies and housing that are competitive with some of the lesser
service jobs and in some cases, it's preferred to become pregnant than seek employment.

Of course, on the back of the migration scene is the constant media-driven whisper that every
person coming from across the North Sea with a Middle-Eastern complexion, is a terrorist
waiting for the word to destroy the infidel.
And it feeds a small culture fuming under the yoke of the 'Haves-and-Have-Nots' that's just greedy
for this kind of stupid stuff.

I would wager the far-greater reason for the more mature of the UK residents to decide to leave the
European Union was because of the increase of control a supposed 'market-place for trade' had
accumulated.

Bureaucracy became the major product in Brussels and to a nation that still holds an 'island
mentality', it's something that can be put on the Grumble Shelf alongside old grudges regarding
past conflicts.

The young saw the result as an insult to their ideological perception of a safe, communicating
and financially-secure area where many groups of different people came together in the name
of making the world a better place. There were no more borders and the worry of war decreases
when your historical enemies now sit at the same table as you.

The old bastards saw it as place that mutated from a trading area that was supposed to make
the selling and buying of goods cheaper to each other -into a self-centred money-hoarding
conglomerate that produced nothing put the means emphasise that politics was more important
and to constantly press to take power off those they pretended to serve.

I've also heard it said that they were also making the adults younger.

Inflation fell away, wage-rises tailed off and food was cheaper. Gambling was no longer a slightly
-hidden hobby and where once, visiting the Pawn Shops was seen as taboo and a something to
be ashamed of, now is standard practice on many high-streets.

Debt became a friend that turns into a tenant that won't leave and to certain factions of the working
-class, an honest day's toil was something you lied and cheated about to avoid it.
The Government would always give you enough for booze, anyway.

Some of the more cynical of the 'old geezers' saw it nothing more than another ploy of 'Johnny
Foreigner' to grab our groceries and slyly weaken our military forces. 

But over-all, it didn't seem too bad. The amounts of homeless dropped because it was no longer
mentioned on the television. Child-molesters roamed the streets because the television told us
-and in such ways that all men could be perceived as possible 'kiddy-diddlers'

Schools moved away from the usual lessons of yore and began educating the young on how to
question everything with a tone of doubt instead of curiosity. They are encouraged to reveal their
true selves in social media forums without the confidence of a mature person who knows everyone
is really a cyber-stranger until proven otherwise.

All-in-all, the basics of life were covered. Food, pay and play, it was like... well, like everything you
wanted! And that's what was wrong, I honestly believe that underneath all the uncouthness, the
blaize manner that the way worrying areas of our lives were covered over by the media and the
banal portions of the crap they call entertainment were served up, even the most brain-fuddled of
us knew something wasn't quite right.

It was almost like we didn't feel we'd earned it. And we hadn't. Maybe... just maybe, those with
wiser and less hair-covered heads saw the game for what it was.
When you're offered a plate of cookies, you can bet a pound to a bucket of bull's p*ss that a plate
of caviar is being gobbled down somewhere else.

Since the 'Leave' decision came in, the news-outlets on the television channels have rarely
left Westminster. Tarpaulin-draped studios stand around a grassed-area known as 'The College
Garden' next to the Houses of Parliament and the only people they interview are members of
that establishment or other television journalists.

The people who voted for or against...? Well, the proof of the pudding really is on the screen
that was supposed to inform the masses of the realities of staying or leaving.

Politics. Politics and the concern that someone in a suit and a large expense-account may
lose their job and NOT the poor schmuck who earns in a year only half of what one of them
pen-pushers does in a month.

I can't blame Scotland nor Northern Ireland for wanting to stick with the European Union,
the age-old marriage they're stuck with now, they know fine-well.

The Common Market -a.k.a The European Economic Community -ak.a The European Union.
Nah... not fur' us, mate.