Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Is This Blue Area on Mars?
I came across this and thought it was worth posting.   What do you suppose this is? 
Could it be a crystal clear blue lake?  Someone painted their outpost blue?  The "red planet" has blue clouds?     Hmm...   minusculethinking 

That's Just So Cool!!!! mediumalien
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Whatever the black streak is, it's not a shadow. It's going towards the sun, not away from it (reference the direction the light is coming from in the rest of the craters). It looks more like wind-blown soot or ash, to me. Likewise, I have no idea what the blue thing is, whether it's really that blue, or whether the color is an artifact of the colorization/ enhancement process these pictures undergo.

Maybe the solar system's largest sapphire or (GASP!) blue diamond. Don't let word of that possibility get out, or you'll see a space race to end all space races, each government of Earth one-upping every other government in a bid to be the first to get to it, bring it back home, and cash in.

Money motivates like no other thing, the world state of greed being what it is.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-23-2016, 03:54 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I came across this and thought it was worth posting.   What do you suppose this is? 
Could it be a crystal clear blue lake?  Someone painted their outpost blue?  The "red planet" has blue clouds?     Hmm...   minusculethinking 

ohhhh, now that's one I haven't seen yet! Cool.
Thanks Mystic,
The answer is..... I have no idea!! LOL

As Nin mentioned above, these images are heavily processed and artificially coloured, but I don't have an answer as to why that area would be coloured blue.

The dark area definitely isn't "just" shadow, as it crosses over the rim of the crater and extends out over the area that would be brightly lit by the sun (reference the areas immediately above the other craters in that area.)
It almost looks like a pattern of deposits of darker minerals thrown up from the "blue" part? (Like when a volcano on Earth erupts)

Very strange.

I shall try and do some "digging" LOL

Thanks again!
G