Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
7-Foot Tall Hellhound Skeleton Has Been Unearthed
So, you thought these creatures were just a myth?  
As with all "myths", the story had to have a place of origin, and that "origin" usually was found where there existed a true story.

I have a friend who said she was chased through the woods behind her house in the densely-forested area of West VA  when she lived there.
She posted her story on one of the boards, but I don't remember which one.  Anyway, I could see by her description that it was two Hell Hounds that she witnessed.  And, there have been others who have witnessed these creatures.

Now, at last, we might have some solid proof that these creatures existed, and probably still do.

Quote:Known according to ancient texts as Black Shuck, a name believed to originate from an old English word which means ‘black demon’, the 7-foot tall beast appeared as a bringer of death in many ancient tales over 500 years ago. During the 16th century, ‘Black Shuck’ was feared by the inhabitants of modern-day UK, due to the number of brutal deaths committed by a ‘giant hellhound with reddish burning eyes’.

Now over 500 years after legends talked about the hellhound, archaeologists seem to have discovered the remains of the Black Shuck in the ruins of Leiston Abbey in Suffolk, in a nameless grave thirty inches deep among several pieces of pottery surrounding the body.

According to initial calculations the remains belong to a ‘male dog’ standing at least seven feet in height weighing around 200lbs.

[Image: xxx1.jpg?resize=640%2C387]

Quote:According to Reverend Abraham Fleming’s book A Straunge and Terrible Wunder:

This black dog, or the devil in such a likeness (God he knoweth all who worketh all) running all along down the body of the church with great swiftness, and incredible haste, among the people, in a visible form and shape, passed between two persons, as they were kneeling upon their knees, and occupied in prayer as it seemed, wrung the necks of them both at one instant clean backward, in so much that even at a moment where they kneeled, they strangely died.”

Radio carbon testing seem to indicate that the remains of the beast correspond to the time when the Black Shuck was terrorizing the population of Eastern Anglia. It seems that not all legends are just legends, and despite many who believe that mythology is far from reality, this time, science has proven it is not. The only question that remains is, what else is considered as a mythology, when in fact it is the ultimate reality?

Source

What about you?  Have you seen one of these "demon dogs"?
I've never seen one.

I read the story though, and have to question if they mean 7' when standing on it's back legs?   Because otherwise, 7 foot and 200 lbs. would be a dang skinny hellhound.  LOL

I have to wonder though, if this isn't just a large breed, like the english mastiffs?

As much as I would love it to be a real hellhound.  I bet, just like every other hound, you could win it over with cheese. tinylaughing
I've just spent a few days on the Isl of Man in the Irish Sea and in set of ruins
called Peel Castle, there's a legend of a large devil-dog called 'Moddey Dhoo'

It was said that to see this massive canine was to invite bad luck your way.
I'd suggest that meeting a large dog in the dark would certainly make you
think that you've taken a wrong turn!

SOURCE:
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(06-20-2016, 08:25 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: As much as I would love it to be a real hellhound.  I bet, just like every other hound, you could win it over with cheese. tinylaughing

Tell that to my friend who was being chased by them. smalllol

If she ever gets her internet back, I'll have to ask her to repeat her story again here. It was quite a horrific incident. tinyhuh
(06-20-2016, 08:46 PM)BIAD Wrote: I've just spent a few days on the Isl of Man in the Irish Sea and in set of ruins
called Peel Castle, there's a legend of a large devil-dog called 'Moddey Dhoo'

It was said that to see this massive canine was to invite bad luck your way.
I'd suggest that meeting a large dog in the dark would certainly make you
think that you've taken a wrong turn!

SOURCE:

I just looked up Peel Castle, and that looks like an awesome place!
I know you must have had a great vacation there, if you are in to ancient ruins, as I am.

Awesome!   minusculeknocks
(06-20-2016, 08:17 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: So, you thought these creatures were just a myth?  
As with all "myths", the story had to have a place of origin, and that "origin" usually was found where there existed a true story.

I have a friend who said she was chased through the woods behind her house in the densely-forested area of West VA  when she lived there.
She posted her story on one of the boards, but I don't remember which one.  Anyway, I could see by her description that it was two Hell Hounds that she witnessed.  And, there have been others who have witnessed these creatures.

Now, at last, we might have some solid proof that these creatures existed, and probably still do.

Source

Hi folks,

That particular archaeological dig was performed by a group called Digventures.

Here is a link to their own article, on their own website, regarding the "Devil Dog" dig:

http://digventures.com/2014/10/digventur...k-returns/

Here are a couple of quotes from the archaeologists who worked on that dig:

"Our metric analysis gave us an indication of the size of the dog (standing at 72 cm from shoulder to floor) "

"Were these the bones of a ‘SEVEN FOOT hell hound with flaming eyes?’
Unequivocally, no."

Cheap tabloid MSM sensationalism of the story (AGAIN) I'm afraid.

That DOESN'T MEAN that Black Shuck didn't exist! (Just that this particular dig doesn't have the remains of one!)

kindest regards,
BigG
@"gordi" 

Quote:Cheap tabloid MSM sensationalism of the story (AGAIN) I'm afraid.

That DOESN'T MEAN that Black Shuck didn't exist! (Just that this particular dig doesn't have the remains of one!)

Sigh...   my bubble has been burst by the great Gordi, once again.  Woe is me!   tinycrying 

smalllol

Thanks for letting us know.  minusculegoodjob

As you said, just because this particular story turned out to be sensationalized, doesn't mean they never existed.
I have no reason at all to not believe the story my friend told.

I think I made a thread about this on HH when we were all over there, and several people came forward with personal stories.

Maybe some of them will share here?

(06-20-2016, 09:29 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: @"gordi" 

Quote:Cheap tabloid MSM sensationalism of the story (AGAIN) I'm afraid.

Sigh...   my bubble has been burst by the great Gordi, once again.  Woe is me!   tinycrying 

smalllol

Thanks for letting us know.  minusculegoodjob

As you said, just because this particular story turned out to be sensationalized, doesn't mean they never existed.
I have no reason at all to not believe the story my friend told.

I think I made a thread about this on HH when we were all over there, and several people came forward with personal stories.

Maybe some of them will share here?

Absolutely!
I LOVE tales of Black Shuck and "other-wordly" beasties!

I just HATE the way the MSM ALWAYS focus on the fake or misreported stuff.
It means that whenever anyone does get interested in the subject and starts looking into it, they nearly always come up with answers like hoax / fake / or misreported, so they get put off and the whole topic becomes tainted or "tarred with the same brush".

it drives me nuts because I genuinely love this stuff.

kindest regards,
G
(06-20-2016, 08:17 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I have a friend who said she was chased through the woods behind her house in the densely-forested area of West VA  when she lived there.

What about you?  Have you seen one of these "demon dogs"?

I haven't - at least not that I know of - but there is a tale that my grandad did, curiously enough in WV. The tale goes that he was walking home one night when a Black Dog met him at a bridge, snarling and gnashing it's teeth, daring him to cross.

I know you'll find this hard to believe, but I come from stock that may not be entirely sane or sober. We've had a problem with backing down or going into reverse for generations.

Grandpa, being a man of few words but effusive action, grabbed a fallen tree branch from the ground with which to contest his rights to cross the bridge, and advanced on the dog with intent to do malice aforethought. The tale goes on that the dog vanished when he was about half way to it, half way across the bridge, and that the last thing to go was it's glowing red eyes, fading more slowly than the rest of the dog. By the time he got to where it was, all set to crack it's noggin if there were mere tricks afoot, there was nothing left of it but a faint smell of sulfur.

I don't know how true the tale is, and never asked grandpa about it, but that's how the story goes.

It seems that the family has trouble crossing things occasionally. His grandpa, my great great grandpa, ran into a spot of trouble crossing the Little Kanawha river with a deer on his shoulders after a hunt. It was in the days of black powder, and of course he'd gotten his charge wet wading across the river with that deer across his shoulders, and just as he got to the other side, a bobcat leaped out of a tree onto the deer, apparently thinking to kill it and haul it off. Now, GG grandpap had gotten his powder wet, and it's damned hard to shoot something off your own back with a muzzle-loading rifle that has a 44 inch barrel anyhow, so he did the next best thing under the circumstances and all things considered. He reached back with his left hand, got the cat around the neck from the back of it's neck, and choked it to death before it could get through the deer and all the way to him. I hear he got a little scratched up in the process, but what else is a fella to do when help is miles away and the cat wants to eat you now?

You do what you gotta do.

I've already told elsewhere of my encounter with bigfoot, or a reasonable facsimile, in that same general area. I don't know if I've mentioned the glowing eyes I saw there one night, though. It wasn't Black Shuck or a "Black Dog" as they call them there, but I dunno what it WAS. In Roane County, just northeast of the town of Spencer, there is a ridge called "Egypt Ridge". I was out walking the ridge road one night around 11 PM, and as usual I had no flashlight - I never carried one. Just something else to keep up with, and I had good enough night vision any how. So there I was, walking the ridge road about 500 yards or so to the northeast of the old Egypt Ridge schoolhouse (you can still find it on USGS maps, I think, although  it has not been a school for years and years now) and I noticed two glowing patches in the woods under the road bank, right up in the head of Pup Run where the hollow meets the ridge. They were red and faintly glowing, about the size of two dinner plates and about 3 feet from center to center. Never heard any noise, no growling nor snuffling, just dead quiet. I did get the impression I was being watched, but by what I don't know to this day. The older I get, the more I think it was just my nerves playing with me. I thought for a while that it might have just been a couple patches of foxfire, but that is usually greenish, rather than red, and I never saw it but the one time, and I HAVE looked for it again afterwards. Way too damned big to be a Black Dog, but I've no idea what it really was - I'm just sure there is some logical explanation for it that I've yet to stumble upon.

WV can be a magical place at times, and things happen there that defy explanation. Some I'm sure are carry-overs from the first white folks to enter the area, who were mostly Scottish and Irish moving into the wilderness to get as far as they could away from the Crown, my ancestors among them - O'Briens from Co. Clare in Ireland, and McElwaynes from Ayrshire in Scotland. I wonder at times how much of these tales are just legend carried over with them and adapted to the frontier at the time... and whether or not some of the denizens actually followed them, perhaps Black Shuck among those. I know that it has been claimed that the O'Brien family Bhean-Side, named Ebhlinne, has been claimed to have been heard wailing there, and that my granny has seen what she called a "ball of fire" rolling off of a house where a death had occurred, while it was in progress, both tales from the old country that folks I know swear have happened in the back woods of WV.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-20-2016, 08:49 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(06-20-2016, 08:25 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: As much as I would love it to be a real hellhound.  I bet, just like every other hound, you could win it over with cheese. tinylaughing

If she ever gets her internet back, I'll have to ask her to repeat her story again here. It was quite a horrific incident. tinyhuh

Did she perhaps have a hunk of cheese in her pocket? All dogs love them some cheese, and they'd probly chase her for miles to get it!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

@"gordi"  

Quote:I just HATE the way the MSM ALWAYS focus on the fake or misreported stuff. It means that whenever anyone does get interested in the subject and starts looking into it, they nearly always come up with answers like hoax / fake / or misreported, so they get put off and the whole topic becomes tainted or "tarred with the same brush". it drives me nuts because I genuinely love this stuff.

Me too.  It is good to call out the fakes so people know who is real, and who isn't.  minusculeknocks
@"Ninurta" 

I love reading your stories. I can envision things so well. minusculegoodjob 

So, the smell of sulfur left behind suggests that this "thing" was a demon taking the form of an animal, if this story is true.
Many people who report having demons in their houses say they smell sulfur too.

As for the big red "eyes", that sounds like you may have seen one of the many colors of orbs that visit here occasionally. 
They are often seen in the woods, just like the Brown Mountain Lights.  But, they come in different colors.  I don't know if that suggests they are different Beings, or what.  Most people who see the red ones say they get a very negative "vibe" from them.

Quote:I know you'll find this hard to believe, but I come from stock that may not be entirely sane or sober.

smallrofl   Thanks for the laugh.   tinybiggrin
(06-20-2016, 11:35 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(06-20-2016, 08:49 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:

Did she perhaps have a hunk of cheese in her pocket? All dogs love them some cheese, and they'd probly chase her for miles to get it!

I dunno; I'll have to ask her.   :mediumlunchtime:
(06-20-2016, 11:44 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: @"Ninurta" 

I love reading your stories. I can envision things so well. minusculegoodjob 

Thank you. I strive to paint the scene with words, sometimes with more success than at other times.

Quote:So, the smell of sulfur left behind suggests that this "thing" was a demon taking the form of an animal, if this story is true.
Many people who report having demons in their houses say they smell sulfur too.

I've heard of various scents being left behind, all unpleasant in the case of negative entities. I've also heard of other, more pleasant scents being left behind in the case of less negative entities, like the scent of roses.

Quote:As for the big red "eyes", that sounds like you may have seen one of the many colors of orbs that visit here occasionally. 
They are often seen in the woods, just like the Brown Mountain Lights.  But, they come in different colors.  I don't know if that suggests they are different Beings, or what.  Most people who see the red ones say they get a very negative "vibe" from them.

I've no idea what they were, orbs or what have you, but they definitely left a "negative vibe", although I's still not convinced it wasn't just a case of bad nerves, not knowing what it was. If it was some sort of orbs, they weren't moving, at all. No floating around or anything like that.

(06-20-2016, 11:24 PM)Ninurta Wrote: ...I know you'll find this hard to believe, but I come from stock that may not be entirely sane or sober...

(Sarcasm to bring the best out of Ninurta!)
There's a perfectly-placed Dog Obedience facility in Morgantown where I'm sure your Grandfather
could have seen the benefits of a mutual understanding of traversing the bridge with a canine coming
the other way.

I mean, the poor cur may have been terrified by the sudden appearance of a man brandishing a stout
stick and I'm sure that if the lost-and-bewildered animal had an owner, some sort of of counselling would
have to be acquired.

In the case of your great-great Grandfather, I can see how -due to the lack of Government funded 'Safe
Spaces', he may have later undergone a time of exasperation and stress after such a terrible encounter
and may have been unsure of how to deal with it.

There are professional people that can now assist in getting over such awful ordeals and I'm sure you'd
agree that your great-great Grandfather would have sought out such areas if they had been available, yes?

I have watched many of the old Disney-wildlife episodes where wildcats and mountain lions don't seem
that ferocious and tend to shy away from human encounters, usually with some nice music in the
background.

But I may be wrong.
tinyhuh

(UPDATE) I am wrong!
Mum Fights Off Mountain Lion Attacking Son, 5
(06-21-2016, 09:48 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(06-20-2016, 11:24 PM)Ninurta Wrote: ...I know you'll find this hard to believe, but I come from stock that may not be entirely sane or sober...

(Sarcasm to bring the best out of Ninurta!)
There's a perfectly-placed Dog Obedience facility in Morgantown where I'm sure your Grandfather
could have seen the benefits of a mutual understanding of traversing the bridge with a canine coming
the other way.

I mean, the poor cur may have been terrified by the sudden appearance of a man brandishing a stout
stick and I'm sure that if the lost-and-bewildered animal had an owner, some sort of of counselling would
have to be acquired.

In the case of your great-great Grandfather, I can see how -due to the lack of Government funded 'Safe
Spaces', he may have later undergone a time of exasperation and stress after such a terrible encounter
and may have been unsure of how to deal with it.

There are professional people that can now assist in getting over such awful ordeals and I'm sure you'd
agree that your great-great Grandfather would have sought out such areas if they had been available, yes?

Well, such facilities were available, of a kind... you may recall the particular phrasing I used, i.e. "may not be entirely sane or sober"... The down side is that some of the treatment methods may have a tendency to CAUSE one to see black dogs (or some times pink elephants) where no such critter may actually be.

Quote:I have watched many of the old Disney-wildlife episodes where wildcats and mountain lions don't seem
that ferocious and tend to shy away from human encounters, usually with some nice music in the
background.

But I may be wrong.
tinyhuh

(UPDATE) I am wrong!
Mum Fights Off Mountain Lion Attacking Son, 5

Why, the woods critters around here are so tame they will come right up on the porch and eat from the pet's bowls, as happened to my neighbor just up the road recently, when a nice friendly bear greeted her one morning about 7 am when she went to let her dogs out of the house. The dogs, for their part, didn't seem particularly hungry at the time, and, being the polite critters they are, elected not to disturb the bear at his repast. It sometimes gets a little on the annoying side, as I have to wait until the morning of trash day before setting the trash out to prevent the bears from making a mess (bears, contrarily to popular belief, are not particularly tidy), and that causes me to sometimes forget to set it out at all.

The mountain lions are very friendly, too:

[Image: 5qvgzLd.jpg]

[Image: Mountain-lion-found-napping-on-Utah-coup...-porch.jpg]

Avoiding eye-contact with those huge beasts that await on one's doorstep, I'll attempt
to give an account of 'Demon Dogs' from my locale. (Gulps at the cat staring through the glass!)

There's a place nearby that in it's heyday, was the home of the wealthy with cast iron balconies
for the gentry to disport themselves on. But today it looks rather forlorn, as if it has fallen on hard
times - and the bottom has certainly fallen out of its balconies.

A hulking, forbidding terrace, unlike anything else in this town, rears up out of nowhere.
The terrace is protected from the full view of the public by tall, forbidding trees.
They were once part of a large pleasure garden around which the wealthy would perambulate.
But today a couple of trees lie fallen; the ornate path is overgrown and covered by wind-blown
leaves.

The current generation knows only too well of the gruesome, cannibalistic murder that took place
here a few years ago. The Cannibal killer David Harker confided to a psychiatrist that he chopped
up his victim and ate part of her body with pasta and cheese.
Cheese.

This horror of a man that had the words "Subhuman" and "Disorder" tattooed on his scalp and is
now languishing in prison for the rest of his life. Treatment that I for one, thought was far too lenient.

But previous generations would have told of headless gentlemen, ghostly dogs and spooky apparitions
that stalked the area in the dead of night. These apparitions arose because of the boggy nature of the
land. Locals would avoid passage at night and the malodorous aroma of the swampy ground would
whisper-up images of devils and ghouls.
Sulphur.

A stream called Glassensikes ('glassen' meant blue or grey; a 'sike' was a small beck/stream) sprung
from a pond in the vicinity where the tall Victorian dwellings now sit.

When this pond flooded and the surplus water gushed it's way onto the main thoroughfares, the roads
seemed impassable to the fair ladies and gents who wished to traverse it. So badly did it spill that in
1679 "stippin stones" were laid (at a cost of 2d) so that travellers could pass along the road without
getting their feet wet.

But as anyone 'in-the-know' can vouch, where marshy areas and mist abound, lurking ethereal creatures
also dwell.
One Victorian writer imagined the full "terror of the neighbourhood".
"How horrible to be balanced on a stippin stone, a waterlogged marsh on either side and a hobgoblin
barring your way," he wrote.

The Victorian local historian, William Longstaffe, went further.
"Glassensikes has goblins as grim as any river-demons," he said. "Headless gentlemen, who disappeared
in flame, headless ladies, white cats, white rabbits, white dogs, black dogs; shapes that walk at dead of night,
and clank their chains. In fact, all the characteristics of the Northern Barguest were to be seen in full perfection
at Glassensikes."

The barguest was a huge, black dog - "as black as a hound of hell" - which was last seen more than 200 years
ago when it appeared at the marsh one midnight to a traveller returning from a nearby village.

"Of late years..." reports Longstaffe, "...this harmless sprite has seemingly become disgusted with the increased
traffic and has become a very well-behaved, domestic creature."

The taming of the Barguests and Hobgoblins of this area lay in the arrival of gaslights and in the improvements
to the marshy land. Glassensikes was culverted. Today, the only sign of this spooky stream is the eccentric house
with the huge marble porch opposite the gas station. Now apartments, and with a metal brace hugging its porch,
this extraordinary building was originally Glassensikes.

The marsh was drained for building. The Allan family had owned the area since the 17th Century. In the early 19th
Century, when the banker Jonathan Backhouse was buying up the south end of this town, the Allans sold him the
marsh for construction purposes.

So life goes on and practicality, level-headedness and rationality become the police of our streets. The Barguests
no longer prowls the marsh in search of supper and the Hobgoblins left the town for a more quieter existence.
Glassensikes is dry, real structures command respect as you walk through the tall glade and the modern electric
street lamps assure travellers that no shadows hold cunning midnight monsters.

But... you must sleep sometime, you must close those heavy eyelids and purchase a ticket for dreamland.
That's when the Barguest steps out of the night and begins his own patrol, that's when the lost marsh deep
underground bubbles and shambling shapes of ugly visage set forth across this fragile thing we call reality.