Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Loch Ness Monster
Quote:Loch Ness Monster 'might' be real, according to new scientific study

Okay, Really? Or is this the Bureau of Tourism making a claim of new Evidence to keep the story alive so the tourists keep bringing their Cash to be spent there?

Quote:Researchers analyzing the biodiversity of Loch Ness are unable to rule out the existence of the Loch Ness Monster. After taking DNA samples from the lake's many water-dwelling creatures, scientists could not conclude that the elusive monster is purely mythical.

They couldn't or are they holding out for a Documentary Deal with a Big Payday?  tinysure

Quote:A major scientific study of Loch Ness has sensationally discovered Nessie 'might' - be real.

Experts traveled the length of the famous loch on research vessel Deepscan taking water samples from three different depths.

The scientists collected DNA left by all creatures from their skin, scales, feathers, fur, feces.

The DNA samples were then sent to labs in New Zealand, Australia, Denmark, and France to be analyzed for the final findings.

Professor Neil Gemmell of the University of Otago, New Zealand and his team who carried out the project have now concluded their research.

The prof - an expert in genomics, ecology, population, conservation and evolutionary biology - now says the results were 'surprising'.

Surprising??? How Surprising were they? You can't tell us right now? Why  minusculewtf ?

Quote:Prof. Gemmell says while the full details will be released at a later stage one of the theories 'might' be correct.

Two main theories about the monster are it is a long-necked plesiosaur that somehow survived the period when dinosaurs became extinct, or it is a sturgeon or giant catfish.

Prof Gemmell said he hoped to announce the full findings of the study in Scotland next month - but would not confirm which hypothesis might be right.

He said: "Is there anything deeply mysterious? Hmm. It depends what you believe. Is there anything startling? There are a few things that are a bit surprising.
Source

Sorry but if Old Nesses was real, there would have to been more baby nesses by now or the old thing would have died of old age.

OK, let us see what are the longest living sea creatures.
[Image: Red-Sea-Urchin-1-e1503418714553.jpg] Red Sea Urchin a life span of 200 years. 
[Image: long-finned-eel-1.jpg]  Long Finned Eel a life span of possibly 105 years.
[Image: Galapagos-giant-tortoise-e1479818390896.jpg] Galapagos Giant Tortoise  152 years.
[Image: Bowhead_Whale.jpg]  Bowhead Whale 200 years.
[Image: greenland-shark-520x300-1.jpg] Greenland Shark between 200 and 400 years.
[Image: Immortal-Jellyfish-Bachware-1.jpg] Immortal Jellyfish this is interesting, A very unique jellyfish which can revert back to its premature state when exposed to stress or injury. Whilst this means it is biologically immortal, in practice they don’t live forever and get injured and eaten just like other animals.

OK, so do you think it is a Sturgeon, Large Catfish or one of these?
OR is it REALLY Old Ness!!!??? tinywhat

Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I nearly posted the article myself, but as the story rolls through, the reader finds that
there's nothing really to it.

When The Sun newspaper contracts Gordi and his fishing net to hunt the beast, as
seen in The Inverness Courier (below), then I'll take notice!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5877]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=953]
(06-03-2019, 08:55 PM)BIAD Wrote: I nearly posted the article myself, but as the story rolls through, the reader finds that
there's nothing really to it.

When The Sun newspaper contracts Gordi and his fishing net to hunt the beast, as
seen in The Inverness Courier (below), then I'll take notice!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5877]

Gordi the Nessie Whisperer / Wrestler  tinyhuh
Is it THAT time of the year ALREADY?? LOL

Click-Bait, Teaser Headline SHOCK HORROR... Maybe! Possibly, Might, Sort of be... something Surprising!
Surprisingly, it might be a plesiosaur, a catfish, a sturgeon.... or it might not.... oh kaaay then.

As MrsG has alluded to... a single creature couldn't really have been the source of all of the sightings over many hundreds of years. If there is a "creature" (of any sort) in Loch Ness, then there must be a breeding population of creatures there.
AFAIK there are no Catfish or Giant Sturgeon on the loose in Scottish waters, and I've never came across any specific evidence to suggest that there is a breeding population here. (It's too cold for Catfish to breed here!)

There's no doubt that Loch Ness is deep and mysterious.
There is a even a possibility that there are underwater tunnels which link the Loch to the Sea.
Everyone has heard of Sea-Monsters.... right?

Many of the "sightings" are likely mis-identifications of other things, whether rolling waves from far-off boats, swimming deer, seals/porpoises/salmon/logs...

Does that mean that a population of unknown creatures doesn't exist there?

or that some other mysterious force is at play?
A Time-Slip giving glimpses into the Loch as it was millions of years ago perhaps?
A rift in space-time showing witnesses a peek of some other place/time?

If we knew that......

minusculebeercheers

PS - I had to invent the main body of text in the Inverness Courier article (regarding wrestling the beast) as I had been photographed atop said creature and needed to come up with a valid reason for doing so that didn't involve the smooth yet abrasive skin of Nessie's back being the ideal surface texture for easing sporran rash issues.... for a friend... aye...
tinybighuh Being Rogue is WEIRD, But I LIKE IT!tinyfunny 
(06-04-2019, 09:46 AM)gordi Wrote: Is it THAT time of the year ALREADY?? LOL

Click-Bait, Teaser Headline SHOCK HORROR... Maybe! Possibly, Might, Sort of be... something Surprising!...

At first I thought you were implying that the photograph from the Inverness Courier was fake, which is a
laughable suggestion as I work with Photoshop software and can see that this is clearly your face!
(Most RN members recognise your 'guitar-playing sunglasses', mate!)

The person in the picture is you Gordi, newspapers don't lie. Just ask Piers Morgan.

Another thing is that an adult who wasn't familiar with the beast, wouldn't climb on the back of a Plesiosaur
in the such cold temperatures of Loch Ness, the chilling calefaction would reverse time and turn a man's testicles
into those of a ten year-old boy.
(It's the same as when you're getting ready on a Saturday night and after leaving the shower naked, you lean over
the cold sink to reach for your razor... same thing)
tinysurprised
So the conclusion drawn is that this isn't the first time you've done this with Nessie and thank heavens the
trustworthy Press were on-hand to grab the photo.
tinyhuh

Quote:...As MrsG has alluded to... a single creature couldn't really have been the source of all of the sightings over many hundreds of years.
If there is a "creature" (of any sort) in Loch Ness, then there must be a breeding population of creatures there.

A fair assumption and it only falls down when we insert our selfish perception of what the strange creature must be.

We tend to believe that since elusive un-scientifically recognised animals cannot comprehend guile or that ability to
problem-solve in the way we THINK we do, such a creature would surely show itself more often than it does.

Who's to say the monster doesn't regularly break the surface of the loch? Life isn't a movie where everything is
catered for -for the viewer. In 1987, Operation Deepscan trawled the length of Loch Ness and detected three unidentified
separate objects opposite Urquhart Castle at depths of between 256 and 590 feet.

Twenty-four boats covering sixty percent of the loch and receiving sonar readings in an area where 'Nessie' has been
most observed. After re-scanning that area of the water the next day, the objects could no longer be detected.
Three objects there one day, not there the next day. Not one single object.

Adrian Shine's conclusion... probably seals that had wandered in from the Inverness-Caledonian canal.
And nobody laughed or used the usual degrading insult of the product of a whisky-soaked imagination.

Quote:...AFAIK there are no Catfish or Giant Sturgeon on the loose in Scottish waters, and I've never came across any specific
evidence to suggest that there is a breeding population here. (It's too cold for Catfish to breed here!

You can forget catfish and even though sturgeons are cold-water northern hemisphere fish of very large size,
I'd think that fishing residents around the loch would've caught one by now -or at least acknowledged the presence
of one.
The scientists can't.

Of course, to even rule-in the idea of catfish or sturgeon, we have to rule-out the land sightings and assume that the
witnesses were all liars.

Quote:There's no doubt that Loch Ness is deep and mysterious.
There is a even a possibility that there are underwater tunnels which link the Loch to the Sea.
Everyone has heard of Sea-Monsters.... right?

Again, this proposal is often scoffed at in favour of a giant invisible land-walking sturgeon or long-necked catfish
that are only nosy about summer tourists or lazy journalists.
The scientists wear white coats -for God's sake, stop doubting them.
tinyhuh
Quote:...Many of the "sightings" are likely mis-identifications of other things, whether rolling waves from far-off boats, swimming deer,
seals/porpoises/salmon/logs... Does that mean that a population of unknown creatures doesn't exist there?

And right there amongst the many unusual behaviors of the large body of water, those same scientists assure the
believers is where the monster resides.

All of Gordi's examples are rational and yet, every year a witness comes forward to report a dark-coloured, long-necked,
mottle-skinned humped object appearing at the surface, moving against winds, submerging, avoiding water-traffic and on
very rare occasions, coming ashore.

All accounts from half-witted, duplicitous people who live in a world where they believe monsters exist...?
Or simply long-term loch-shore residents, tourists and keen enthusiasts who see something that they cannot rationalise?

Quote:PS - I had to invent the main body of text in the Inverness Courier article (regarding wrestling the beast) as
I had been photographed atop said creature and needed to come up with a valid reason for doing so that didn't
involve the smooth yet abrasive skin of Nessie's back being the ideal surface texture for easing sporran rash issues....
for a friend... aye...

I read the Courier's piece and it was quite illuminating.
Like many here on Rogue Nation, I had no idea you had other property along the 26 mile-long loch and partook in the hobby
of riding large-finned natives of that water. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging. I've heard there are movies involving humans
and... well, this is a family-friendly website, so I'll drop it.

You out of idle curiosity of said-members, would you like to expand on other experiences of 'sporran rash'?
smallcrackingup 

From The Inverness Courier. Converted into text.

Quote:       Local Man Seen Interacting With Summer Favourite Just Off Shore Of Drumnadrochit.

(By our correspondent B. Dress.)

Local residents pretended to be astonished on Sunday, when tourists reported to the proprietors of the nearby
gift-shops of a man spotted behaving in a unusual manner in the nearby bay.

Where the rivers Enrick and Colltie meet to flow into Loch Ness, onlookers seemed bemused by the handsome,
althletic-bodied gentleman that those -who sell their low-quality metal king-rings and Hong-Kong-made bumper
-stickers to daily visitors, recognise as 'Gordi McGordi', gamboling in the peaty waters with the fabled beastie
-just north of Urquhart Castle.

Gordi, who strums to tourists and wrestles the occasional ox that strays near his property, recently caused a stir when
he invaded a meeting at the Unesco World Heritage site in Edinburgh and disrupted Scottish Parliamentary discussions
on whether the London Cockneys were worth hanging on to.

Straddling the imaginary animal with his firm un-rashed thighs, Gordi performed a couple of folk tunes accompanied by
his guitar and something beneath his sporran that kept the beat. Sadly, the gratuities tossed at him sank beneath the
waves, but the applause certainly made-up for any fiscal mishaps.

Asked later by the media on why he engages in this day-of-rest activity, Gordi was reported to have smiled and told the
Reporter to f*ck off. Obviously, Scottish humour is sometimes lost on southern scriveners and so to clear the air, Gordi
ceded to the Journalist's old ruse of abusing their expense account.

In other news.

Public House Landlord Beats Reporter Half-To-Death  For Inability To Pay Bar-Bill.

Innkeeper Bruiser McTavish was severely reprimanded by the local constabulary on Sunday evening, when he was
suspected of being involved in an assault. McTavish of Drumnadrochit...
I've been surprised to the lack of 'silly-season' images of Nessie in the papers and on television,
maybe it's due to the Brexit-gossip is more convenient to the London-based media.

Anyway, the scientific survey of those peaty waters has ended and here's the result.
I wonder if Professor Neil Gemmell feels any better for killing a legend?

Quote:Loch Ness Monster may be a giant eel, say scientists.

'The creatures behind repeated sightings of the fabled Loch Ness Monster may be giant eels,
according to scientists. Researchers from New Zealand have tried to catalogue all living species
in the loch by extracting DNA from water samples.

Following analysis, the scientists have ruled out the presence of large animals said to be behind
reports of a monster. No evidence of a prehistoric marine reptile called a plesiosaur or a large fish
such as a sturgeon were found.

Catfish and suggestions that a wandering Greenland shark were behind the sightings were also
discounted. The aim of the research was not to find Nessie, but to improve knowledge of what plants
and animals live in Loch Ness.

European eels are among the creatures in the loch, and whose DNA was picked up by the new research.
Juvenile eels, known as elvers, arrive in Scottish rivers and lochs after migrating more than 3,100 miles
(5,000 km) from the Sargasso Sea near the Bahamas, where the animals spawn and lay eggs.

Prof Neil Gemmell, a geneticist from New Zealand's University of Otago. said: "People love a mystery,
we've used science to add another chapter to Loch Ness' mystique. "We can't find any evidence of a creature
that's remotely related to that in our environmental-DNA sequence data.
So, sorry, I don't think the plesiosaur idea holds up based on the data that we have obtained."

He added: "So there's no shark DNA in Loch Ness based on our sampling. There is also no catfish DNA in
Loch Ness based on our sampling. We can't find any evidence of sturgeon either,

"There is a very significant amount of eel DNA. Eels are very plentiful in Loch Ness, with eel DNA found at
pretty much every location sampled - there are a lot of them. So - are they giant eels? "Well, our data doesn't
reveal their size, but the sheer quantity of the material says that we can't discount the possibility that there may
be giant eels in Loch Ness.
Therefore we can't discount the possibility that what people see and believe is the Loch Ness Monster might
be a giant eel."

DNA from humans, dogs, sheep, cattle, deer, badgers, rabbits, voles and birds were also identified by the
researchers. The Loch Ness Monster is one of Scotland's oldest and most enduring myths. It inspires books,
TV shows and films, and sustains a major tourism industry around its home.

The story of the monster can be traced back 1,500 years when Irish missionary St Columba is said to have
encountered a beast in the River Ness in 565AD. Later, in the 1930s, The Inverness Courier reported the first
modern sighting of Nessie...'

So basically speaking, mainstream media cannot be relied on to tell the truth?!!

Quote:'...In 1933, the newspaper's Fort Augustus correspondent, Alec Campbell, reported a sighting by Aldie Mackay
of what she believed to be Nessie. Mr Campbell's report described a whale-like creature and the loch's water
"cascading and churning".

The editor at the time, Evan Barron, suggested the beast be described as a "monster", kick starting the modern
myth of the Loch Ness Monster. In 1934, highly respected British surgeon, Colonel Robert Wilson, claimed he took
a photograph of the monster while driving along the northern shore of Loch Ness.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6328]
Nessie made an appearance in the 1969 film The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.
Young eels arrive in the River Ness and Loch Ness every year as part of their life cycle.

Known as the "Surgeon's Photograph", 60 years later it was confirmed as a hoax hatched in revenge after a
newspaper ridiculed journalist Marmaduke Wetherell for finding "Nessie footprints" on the shore.
The "monster" caught on camera was apparently a toy submarine bought from Woolworths, with a head fashioned
from wood putty. The hoaxers then gave the photo to Wilson, a friend who enjoyed a good practical joke.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6329]

Explanations for the monster offered in the past include it being swimming circus elephants.
In his research of Nessie, Glasgow-based palaeontologist Neil Clark found fairs and circuses were a common
occurrence in the Inverness area, particularly from the early 1930s.

He said elephants may have been allowed to swim in the loch while the travelling carnivals stopped to give the
animals a rest. Another theory is that large fallen branches floating in the loch are the cause of monster sightings....'
BBC:

An eel????
That was One Big Damn EEL!
(09-06-2019, 09:16 PM)BIAD Wrote:
Quote:Following analysis, the scientists have ruled out the presence of large animals said to be behind
reports of a monster. No evidence of a prehistoric marine reptile called a plesiosaur or a large fish
such as a sturgeon were found.

Now I'm curious to know where they got a sample of plesiosaur DAN to compare the Loch DNA against so they could rule out plesiosaurs..

Quote:European eels are among the creatures in the loch, and whose DNA was picked up by the new research.
Juvenile eels, known as elvers, arrive in Scottish rivers and lochs after migrating more than 3,100 miles
(5,000 km) from the Sargasso Sea near the Bahamas, where the animals spawn and lay eggs.

European eels spawn in the Bahamas? Never knew that!

Quote:DNA from humans, dogs, sheep, cattle, deer, badgers, rabbits, voles and birds were also identified by the
researchers. The Loch Ness Monster is one of Scotland's oldest and most enduring myths. It inspires books,
TV shows and films, and sustains a major tourism industry around its home.

Humans, dogs, sheep, cattle, deer, badgers, rabbits, voles, and birds live in the Loch? Over here in the colonies, those sorts of critters live on land, and we don't have any aquatic versions of them. What ARE your scientist types experimenting on over there?

[/quote]
" I don't mind killin' a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight... or if there's money involved... or a woman... "

- Jayne Cobb, Hero of Canton
(09-07-2019, 06:08 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Now I'm curious to know where they got a sample of plesiosaur DNA to compare the Loch DNA
against so they could rule out plesiosaurs..

Another example of lazy Journalism along with their location of the Sargasso Sea. The research was basically to
reference the biological contents of the loch to analyse natural or forced changes in the evolution of water-dwelling
creatures.

Gemmell and his associates weren't looking for Nessie, they are more interested in the migratory and resident
biology of Loch Ness with research primarily focused on effects on a genetic level.

'...Our research blends ecology, population, conservation and evolutionary biology with recent
technological spin-offs from the various genome projects. 

A recurring theme is that of reproduction, with past and current projects spanning mating systems
and mate choice, sperm-egg interactions, sperm function, sex determination, sex allocation, and
inter-sexual genomic conflict. 

We also have interests in the evolution of the mitochondrial genome, the evolution of microsatellite DNA,
the evolution of sex determining mechanisms and the processes that lead to speciation...'
Source:

Quote:'..European eels spawn in the Bahamas? Never knew that!

It would be fair to say the Sargasso Sea is nearer you than the Bahamas! It's just with the hurricane story, it's
trendy to say it.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6330]

Quote:'...Humans, dogs, sheep, cattle, deer, badgers, rabbits, voles, and birds live in the Loch?...

Yeah, the many streams and becks that enter the loch bring down all sorts of shite from the surrounding land
and I know for certain there's a broken model of the monster down there along with a wheelbarrow and the
remains of John Cobb's jet powered speedboat.

He 'hit' an unexplained wake during an attempt at a world speed record and he died in the incident.
Probably an eel.

tinyhuh

It's certainly a sign of the times when The Times aligns itself with the click-bait media outlets that propagate news
that we could call... fishy?! In fact, the use of the word 'boffins' should alert any serious Journalist -assuming there's
any left, that this story is dubious at best.

Take note, there's no mention of the location of the camera in relation to the depth of the water, no reference to the
size of the fish in the foreground and The Ness Fishery Board's twitter account only offers a light-hearted nod to the
legendary creature.

I don't think it can be categorised as 'Fake News', but it's not really a genuine story, especially when the recording
took place in the River Ness, not the loch.

Quote:Boffins believe they’ve finally got video proof that Nessie exists…and is actually a giant eel.

'A huge eel-like creature has been filmed in the murky waters of Loch Ness —and experts reckon it really is the monster.
It comes after scientists claimed that sightings of Nessie were actually a giant eel.

The video, shared online by the Ness Fishery Board, captured the outline of a long, slender creature in the Scottish Highlands
loch. Amazing footage from an underwater camera shows the “serpent” slithering through the water from the left and dwarfing
fish in its path.

In contrast to the iconic 1934 image of Nessie — which proved to be fake — boffins believe this is the real deal.
The video was taken two weeks ago on the River Ness near where it flows into Loch Ness by a camera set up to
monitor trout and other fish...'

Two weeks ago. Two whole weeks have passed since the discovery of an unknown creature that academia has assured the
public does not exist and yet only now, the Ness Fisheries Board decided to reveal it to... oh wait, it's been sitting on their
Twitter account since the 1st of September!
Hardly news.

Quote:THE EEL NESSIE
It was shared online by the Ness Fishery Board, which tweeted: “Let’s be honest, when you see a large, eel-shaped object
passing your camera in the River Ness, the first thing you think of is the Loch Ness Monster.”
We have enhanced the image, which emerged after a team of scientists claimed sightings of Nessie were actually a giant eel.

Richard Freeman, of the Centre for Fortean Zoology which has tried to solve the 1,000-year-old monster mystery, believes the
creature in the video is an eel. He said: “I don’t believe the eel theory has killed off the Loch Ness Monster, quite the reverse.
“A giant eel which can grow up to 30ft is a monster in every sense of the word.”

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6386]
(The bottom image is take from The Times website)

Gary Campbell, the keeper of the Official Loch Ness Sightings Register, added: “We know Nessie is not a prehistoric monster
—Loch Ness was a block of ice 10,000 years ago during the last Ice Age.
"Nothing would have survived. A fish or an eel was always the most plausible theory.”

Mikko Takala, 51, who has been hunting Nessie for 27 years, said the latest footage counts as an “excellent sighting”.
Many theories have already been discounted including that the monster could be a shark, catfish, sturgeon or a plesiosaur.
Last week experts from New Zealand suggested the monster was a giant eel after studying DNA extracted from the 23-mile
long fresh­water loch in the Scottish Highlands.

They took 250 samples and identified 15 species of fish and 3,000 types of bacteria.
The international team of scientists that trawled the waterway was led by Professor Neil Gemmell, of the University of Otago in
New Zealand. He said there was a significant amount of eel DNA.

He added: “Our data doesn’t reveal their size, but the quantity of the material says we can’t discount the possibility that there
may be giant eels in Loch Ness. “Therefore we can’t discount the possibility that what people see and believe is the Loch Ness
Monster might be a giant eel.”

Hundreds of thousands of visitors travel to the loch each year hoping to spot the monster...'
The Sun:

Give me a break.

mediumfacepalm  They have nothing more on staff than Millennial, Basement Dwelling Adults as reporters, who are afraid to leave mommie's basement and see the daylight.