Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marriage, It's All About Trust... Supposedly!
This one intrigues me and it shows that you don't really know who's laid in bed next to you.

Quote:Widow discovers late husband of 64 years was Brit spy trained to infiltrate prisons.

A widow discovered secret papers that revealed her late husband had led a double life as a British spy.

'Audrey Phillips, 85, was married to Glyn for 64 years and knew him as a family man and civil engineer who loved to play football.
Not until after his death in 2015 aged 83 did she become aware he had been working for British Intelligence –since he was 13.
Glyn was pulled out of school in 1944 because he had a photographic memory and began to work for Operation XX, part of MI5.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5817]

Glyn’s papers revealed as a lad he was trained to crawl through concrete pipes into prisons to talk to German POWs, then crawl
back out. Audrey, of Trowbridge, Wilts, said: “It took me three years after he died to read the papers and I was absolutely astonished.”
The documents showed Glyn was recruited by a captain from British Intelligence.

Even after the war finished, Glyn still completed secret missions and the captain continued to appear throughout his adult life.
Audrey has now published Glyn’s life story in a book, titled Operation XX And Me: Did I Have A Choice?
She added: “I was completely oblivious. I have so many questions now that will probably never get answered.
I wish I could ask him: ‘Why didn’t I know?’”...'

SOURCE:
Why would a British 'spy'-boy be required to speak to German prisoners of war held in British prisons during a war against Germany?
tinyhuh

Apparently, The Daily Mail Can explain...

Quote:The spy who loved me: Widow, 85, discovers her husband led a double-life as a secret agent
for 70 years after finding paperwork showing he infiltrated the Nazis for MI5.

'...The operation, otherwise known as the Double-Cross System, was a counter-espionage and deception project
which saw Nazi agents captured in Britain being used to send misinformation back to Germany...'

Quote:'The Double-Cross system, or Operation XX, was a counter-espionage programme
carried out in WWII by the British Secret Service.

When Nazi agents were captured in Britain, they were used by the British to reveal
secrets and broadcast false information back to Germany.
 In 1940, the Abwehr (German secret service) started sending spies into Britain.

When the German Enigma machine was cracked, MI5 could easily pick up the agents
landing on British shores. Once caught, the agents were interrogated then either imprisoned
and killed or invited to become double agents.

Genuine information was sent back to Germany as well as fake information in order to keep
up their pretence.The XX Committee came to be known as the 20 and started running around
50 enemy agents.'
MailOnline:

Fully explained?! Even if any of this is true, what I find sad is that this guy was allegedly paid twenty pounds
for a task -which equated to two weeks wages back then as a civil engineer or 'calf-dozer' for a trench digging
company. £20 back in early forties.

In 2019, the book is on sale at Amazon for £6.99!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
In Northern Ireland during the "troubles" the British used 13-18 year olds a lot to do spying, some were very well trained. But to protect these children and to protect the people who controlled them there was no record kept, not even the RUC ( then police force) knew about these kids.
Who would believe that a child could be a spy, and if any of these kids ever spoke no one would believe them, and no records, no police to report they were informants.
Also young people were used by the KGB, and i do believe every country in the world does this, and its happing in the UK today
So this guys story has the possibility of been true
(05-25-2019, 10:58 AM)Wallfire Wrote: In Northern Ireland during the "troubles" the British used 13-18 year olds a lot to do spying, some were very well trained. But to protect these children and to protect the people who controlled them there was no record kept, not even the RUC ( then police force) knew about these kids.
Who would believe that a child could be a spy, and if any of these kids ever spoke no one would believe them, and no records, no police to report they were informants.
Also young people were used by the KGB, and i do believe every country in the world does this, and its happing in the UK today
So this guys story has the possibility of been true

I never appreciated that, Wallfire. Thank you.

Yeah, I added my doubts in a later edit above -just in the way the man's work was financially rewarded to today's
value of his worth in the war. It was dangerous for him to journal his 'secret' job, but it's possible he kept his writings
somewhere where he believed is wife would never look until after his death.

But what also got me was the 'easy' manner which the media explain how German spies were grabbed when arriving
on British soil. The way that 'Nazism' and German soldiers are simply mixed together always makes me chuckle.
It's like something out of a comic!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
@"BIAD"  I believe most of this, the Photographic memory would have been most Valuable. I don't know why he would crawl through the pipes to speak with the prisoners unless he spoke Really Good German or could convince the prisoners he was a Young British Sympathizer and wanted to help Germany.

@"Wallfire"   Yes, you are right, Young people, Children pre-teens are a great source for spying. They are easily manipulated and are often convince their belief is the only Truth.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(05-25-2019, 08:07 PM)guohua Wrote: @"BIAD"  I believe most of this, the Photographic memory would have been most Valuable. I don't know why he would crawl through the pipes to speak with the prisoners unless he spoke Really Good German or could convince the prisoners he was a Young British Sympathizer and wanted to help Germany.

@"Wallfire"   Yes, you are right, Young people, Children pre-teens are a great source for spying. They are easily manipulated and are often convince their belief is the only Truth.

Yep look no further than the children of Islam who blow themselves up to kill others.
(05-27-2019, 07:21 AM)727Sky Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 08:07 PM)guohua Wrote: @"BIAD"  I believe most of this, the Photographic memory would have been most Valuable. I don't know why he would crawl through the pipes to speak with the prisoners unless he spoke Really Good German or could convince the prisoners he was a Young British Sympathizer and wanted to help Germany.

Yep look no further than the children of Islam who blow themselves up to kill others.

That is The Truth Being Spoken!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]