Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Fen Werewolf -With Pictures!
(06-26-2020, 04:43 PM)Raggedyman Wrote: Love cryptozoology but this?
They need to eat so I figure a trail of death, livestock, that sort of thing should be an obvious issue.
Additionally it wouldn’t be just a single animal, at least a mate, offspring, expect it to live in a pack. So,stay, maybe at the least two, killing at least two sheep,,cows, whatever a week to feed on. A farmer would notice that and go hunting

That and the photo, just seems a bit off, ankles, feet, very thin and small for a large body.

Also the standing up thing, just not natural enough for me

I know what you mean, such a small country and even though over sixty percent of the land isn't 'inhabited',
the idea that  such a creature could remain unnoticed is doubtful. Paul Sinclair -a researcher from that area,
has reported many of the livestock being slain and it seems that farmers in that location just take it as part
of the life.

But the image does look suspect.
minusculethumbsup

(I did an avatar for 'RaggedyMan', it's in the 'Avatar maniacs' thread. There seems to be a size problem with the one you have, Sir.)
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(03-19-2019, 07:18 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: A very entertaining story, but I think that's all it is.

I think it's a man in a suit, and a story attached to get attention.  Something about the legs looks too human, IMO.

Agreed... Werewolf legs would have bent the other way, too. 

[Image: werewolf-1024x640.jpg]
The Goonies R good enough
Since there' been some interest in the Werewolf phenomena in the area of East-English coast,
here's Paul Sinclair's latest video discussing recent and old reports.

The screw-up of echo is sorted pretty quick and the real video begins at 2 minutes-53 seconds.
(It's always Les' fault!)

This story is posted somewhere on ATS, but with that future being in question I will post it here again.

The story begins when I was maybe 10 years old. Now, I live in a farming community. My uncle at the time was a small farmer and rancher who had a coop full of chickens out back of his house. He had been losing chickens at a pretty worrying pace for several weeks, and was already on edge to catch whatever it was that was using his coop as a drive through. He suspected it was big, because it kept tearing through whatever wire he put up.

My uncle was a typical old-time farmer: not a very big man, but built like a fireplug and strong as an ox. He was straight-shooting and the exact opposite of dramatic; everything was logical to him and he tended to un-exaggerate. One night he awoke to a loud commotion behind his house. He grabbed his shotgun and headed out back to see the chickens raising hell and a hole torn into the coop. The moon was out and full that night, so he said he could see clearly.

He heard something towards the mountain and walked over to look. He described it as a wolf, but said it stood six feet tall at the shoulder (it was on all fours), and said he could make out something - he assumed a chicken - in its mouth.

He ran back inside and called my Dad (we lived a half mile away down the ridge). Dad took the call, then grabbed a few rifles and headed out the door. Mom pulled me back inside, as I wanted to go too. There were, as he later told me, a half dozen men from the area who showed up at my uncle's house that night to track down and kill this... thing. Six foot is way, way beyond the normal size for any wolf known, and especially for any wolves around here.

They started tracking. They followed the tracks across the field where my uncle had seen it, and into the mountain. From there, it climbed to the ridge and followed that ridge until it got behind our house; then it turned downhill. It left the treeline behind our house, cut through our yard, and then went back into the treeline at the other ridge (our place is where two ridges come together in the hollow). That ridge is a literal jungle; there are places there where even the deer have to go around the brush because it is so thick. The first ridge it crossed is easy to navigate: straight ridge, just go downhill if you get turned around and you'll come out in a few minutes. This second ridge, not so much. There are dips and hollows up there that will turn you around to where you can walk in circles for miles. I grew up in these mountains, used to spend days at a time living up there, and I have gotten lost in that mess more than once.

When Dad told me what had happened, I ran out back to see where it came through. I searched and found a fresh track in some stiff mud. It was definitely canine, but it was several times larger than any canine track I had ever seen.

We heard yipping, like from cubs maybe, on and off at night from that second ridge for a couple of years, but no one ever saw the critter, whatever it was, around our place again. The talk was that it was a timber wolf that had gotten here somehow, and probably died out.

Fast forward nearly ten years. I'm a young, cocky redneck full of spit and hellfire, tough as a pine knot and not afraid of anything. I would have waded through Hell on Sunday just to fight a circle saw armed with only a switch. A friend and I are driving by an old church in the area one night, and man, I gotta take a leak! So, since the area is abandoned there, I pulled off on the dirt shoulder to comply with nature.

My friend suddenly went, literally, ape-shit. He started screaming at me to get moving, don't stop, get the hell out of here! I had never seen him act that way before... he was usually a pretty gritty fellow himself. So, since he was about to have a damn aneurysm or something, I pulled out and went on to the abandoned gravel pit to do my business. As I drove, he told me why he was so scared:

A few year  earlier, he had gone to that church with some other guys. There's a cemetery there with a local legend of a "glowing tombstone" (debunked by me... high phosphorous content and the moonlight can hit it through an opening in the canopy). They were going to see the glowing tombstone and rid the world of a few beers in the process. They stopped and got out, started walking toward the cemetery, and there it stood.

He described it as a wolf, standing behind one of the more prominent tombstones (it stands about 5 to 6 feet high), with its front paws resting on the top of the tombstone. He said they looked at each other for what seemed like several minutes, and it just stared back, slowly moving its head side to side. The boys ran back to their car, jumped inside, and all swore to never go there again at night.

OK, to be honest, I thought he was kinda funny. Sure, it reminded me of what had happened back at our place, but that critter was dead by now. I figured he had seen something he couldn't make out well and let his imagination run away with him. But a week or so later, I was home watching "The Howling" on videotape and he came up. He came inside and sat down, and the scene where the guy is changing into a werewolf was playing. I looked over and he was sitting there with his jaw dropped and pointing at the TV. He was terrified, white as a ghost! I asked him what was wrong and he said something like "You remember the thing I saw at the church? THAT'S IT!"

He wasn't as good a witness as my uncle was, admitted, but he was legitimately scared half to death.

Fast forward another decade or so. I'm dating my wife-to-be and home for a while. Lacking a suitable place with suitable privacy to do what all good rednecks do, we decided to head down to a secluded spot I knew on the river. There's an old abandoned barge there on a sandbar, connected by a single dirt road in. Nice, dark, secluded... perfect. So along with another friend and his girl, we head down there. I stay with the car while he takes his girl to the other end of the sandbar. I'm in the back seat trying desperately to steam up the windows when suddenly the hair on the back of my neck stands up. I stop, look around, but I don't see anything. My wife, however, felt it too and said there was something watching us. OK, both of us felt it, so I grab my gun (I kept a .357 Magnum under the seat loaded for bear) and stepped out of the car.

I didn't actually see anything... but folks, I have lived here in these woods all my life, and I know when something is watching me. There was something there among those trees. The closer I got, the more I felt it. And for once, even holding artillery, I was concerned. I called my friend, and we got out of there... haven't been back since.

One last fast forward, this time to maybe 15 years ago. My wife would take walks through our hayfields to stay in shape. The dogs went with her so I wasn't worried... we had a pit bull rescue and a stray basset hound that had adopted us... put those two together and they were a fighting machine! I knew they would protect her from anything that just happened to be there. She came across a dead rabbit... obviously killed by a predator, but not eaten. Then she found a squirrel a little farther away. All told there were several small dead critters arranged in roughly a circle. She suddenly felt like something was watching her and looked at the treeline. There it stood... a wolf, around six feet tall at the shoulder, on all fours, just staring at her.

The dogs suddenly weren't in a fighting mood. They got between her and it and started pushing her away, whining. These are dogs that would take on a bear and not lose... they were not known for being scared.

She said she watched it for a few minutes, unable to take her eyes off it. Then it turned and started trotting off. My wife ran back home, and wouldn't go back for a very long time.

There is something out here, and it looks/sounds like what is being discussed here. It's a type of wolf, huge, six feet tall at the shoulder on all fours, intelligent, and able to stand upright. It scares the hell out of anyone who sees it. It will kill livestock, but so far I have not heard of it actually attacking a human. It is normally shy and tends to avoid crowded areas. Dogs are terrified of it. Beyond that, I have no idea what this thing is.

I just know that it is.

TheRedneck
Great comments, @"TheRedneck" .

Reminded me of the "dogman" stories I've heard now and then.  Also, something read long ago about an ice-age version of wolf that was much larger than the wolves of today.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

@"TheRedneck",  all I can say is WOW!   tinywhat 

Gripping story. They're always so much better when they're true.
You told it giving details; easy to see it with my imagination.

Thanks for sharing it with us.   smallawesome
(06-28-2020, 05:04 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Great comments, @"TheRedneck" .

Reminded me of the "dogman" stories I've heard now and then.  Also, something read long ago about an ice-age version of wolf that was much larger than the wolves of today.

Cheers

(06-28-2020, 05:04 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: @"TheRedneck",  all I can say is WOW!   tinywhat 

Gripping story. They're always so much better when they're true.
You told it giving details; easy to see it with my imagination.

Thanks for sharing it with us.   smallawesome

Thanks guys. Every word is true... that thing lives around here. I've heard theories from a mutant to a dire wolf. None seem to work well. I'm not big into the actual werewolf theory... probably came from someone seeing a hungry redneck walking around at night. Some of us do have fur.

Come to think of it, I've heard some rednecks have tails too... can't actually verify that one...

Admittedly, the third encounter wasn't visual... could have also been a skunk ape for all that. There was no overwhelming stench, though, so I doubt that. The only other large predators we have are black bears and mountain lions. As close as I got that time, either would have spooked or charged. That treeline it was in is pretty narrow, so I couldn't have been more than 20 feet from whatever it was.

I know it's intelligent. Maybe someday I'll come face to face with it. If it's that intelligent it knows better than to attack a redneck.

TheRedneck
From those pics, i get the feel that its a person in a suit. To me anyway, it has a fake look and feel to it. However, there sure are some beasties out there. I used to always listen to Vic Cundiff's Dogman Encounters. So many people have seen these critters, they cannot all be talking bs. A lot of them use false names or stay anonymous when talking on the show. So i gather there's no 15 minutes of fame or monetary gain angle there.

With a lot of their stories, from years, even decades ago, you can still hear the upset or fear or awe in their voices. Some of them have radically changed their lifestyles after their encounter, and there are even some who now avoid forest and rural areas altogether if its at all possible. Definitely Dogmen are real, imo.But they are not Werewolves. They are a real seperate species. The native Americans knew about them, i think. Could be that they are guardians of portals, of "thin" places.

About werewolves and lycanthropy, who can say? But for all the centuries, so many stories, where there is so much smoke for so long, there could well be a fire, you know?
I've been trying to find the thread where Ninurta posted some images of the big animal that was picked
up by a trail-cam. Sadly, I cannot find them. I hope he sees this post and re-issues those photos, whatever
that thing was close to his home (if I recall correctly), it was a big bugger!
minusculethumbsup
(06-26-2020, 04:49 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 04:43 PM)Raggedyman Wrote: Love cryptozoology but this?
They need to eat so I figure a trail of death, livestock, that sort of thing should be an obvious issue.
Additionally it wouldn’t be just a single animal, at least a mate, offspring, expect it to live in a pack. So,stay, maybe at the least two, killing at least two sheep,,cows, whatever a week to feed on. A farmer would notice that and go hunting

That and the photo, just seems a bit off, ankles, feet, very thin and small for a large body.

Also the standing up thing, just not natural enough for me

I know what you mean, such a small country and even though over sixty percent of the land isn't 'inhabited',
the idea that  such a creature could remain unnoticed is doubtful. Paul Sinclair -a researcher from that area,
has reported many of the livestock being slain and it seems that farmers in that location just take it as part
of the life.

But the image does look suspect.
minusculethumbsup

@"Raggedyman"
I think the images in this case, whilst a bit creepy, do look suspiciously fake to me.

I'm not 100% sure about this particular case, but the vast majority of ones that I've looked at, seem to occur in areas with a very high natural wild population of deer, rabbit, hare, etc.

If these creatures do exist, they may have quite a large range to hunt over...
If their territory includes, let's say 20 small farms? and half of their diet is from the wild animals...
Then an average of 2 kills a week would equate to 1 domestic (non-wild) kill a week... and so might only hit each individual farmer's stock once every 20 weeks (5 months) or so?

Obviously, if the bulk of their diet is actually wild deer etc, then those numbers could reduce quite significantly.

Just FYI... I live in the rural part of west-central Scotland, and I can count at least 12 farms within just 2 miles of my home here!
If I extended that range out to even just 5 miles there would be literally hundreds of farms...

Most farmers wouldn't even bother to report a missing sheep here, especially if it only happened once in a blue moon.
Given that... I wouldn't be too surprised that a large predator(s) could go undiscovered for years.

(*I've seen with my own eyes, on two separate occasions, what I believe looked like a puma/mountain lion near here. And... We don't have any puma/mountain lion in the wild here!)

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(06-28-2020, 04:31 PM)TheRedneck Wrote: This story is posted somewhere on ATS, but with that future being in question I will post it here again.

The story begins when I was maybe 10 years old. Now, I live in a farming community. My uncle at the time was a small farmer and rancher who had a coop full of chickens out back of his house. He had been losing chickens at a pretty worrying pace for several weeks, and was already on edge to catch whatever it was that was using his coop as a drive through. He suspected it was big, because it kept tearing through whatever wire he put up.

My uncle was a typical old-time farmer: not a very big man, but built like a fireplug and strong as an ox. He was straight-shooting and the exact opposite of dramatic; everything was logical to him and he tended to un-exaggerate. One night he awoke to a loud commotion behind his house. He grabbed his shotgun and headed out back to see the chickens raising hell and a hole torn into the coop. The moon was out and full that night, so he said he could see clearly.

He heard something towards the mountain and walked over to look. He described it as a wolf, but said it stood six feet tall at the shoulder (it was on all fours), and said he could make out something - he assumed a chicken - in its mouth.

He ran back inside and called my Dad (we lived a half mile away down the ridge). Dad took the call, then grabbed a few rifles and headed out the door. Mom pulled me back inside, as I wanted to go too. There were, as he later told me, a half dozen men from the area who showed up at my uncle's house that night to track down and kill this... thing. Six foot is way, way beyond the normal size for any wolf known, and especially for any wolves around here.

They started tracking. They followed the tracks across the field where my uncle had seen it, and into the mountain. From there, it climbed to the ridge and followed that ridge until it got behind our house; then it turned downhill. It left the treeline behind our house, cut through our yard, and then went back into the treeline at the other ridge (our place is where two ridges come together in the hollow). That ridge is a literal jungle; there are places there where even the deer have to go around the brush because it is so thick. The first ridge it crossed is easy to navigate: straight ridge, just go downhill if you get turned around and you'll come out in a few minutes. This second ridge, not so much. There are dips and hollows up there that will turn you around to where you can walk in circles for miles. I grew up in these mountains, used to spend days at a time living up there, and I have gotten lost in that mess more than once.

When Dad told me what had happened, I ran out back to see where it came through. I searched and found a fresh track in some stiff mud. It was definitely canine, but it was several times larger than any canine track I had ever seen.

We heard yipping, like from cubs maybe, on and off at night from that second ridge for a couple of years, but no one ever saw the critter, whatever it was, around our place again. The talk was that it was a timber wolf that had gotten here somehow, and probably died out.

Fast forward nearly ten years. I'm a young, cocky redneck full of spit and hellfire, tough as a pine knot and not afraid of anything. I would have waded through Hell on Sunday just to fight a circle saw armed with only a switch. A friend and I are driving by an old church in the area one night, and man, I gotta take a leak! So, since the area is abandoned there, I pulled off on the dirt shoulder to comply with nature.

My friend suddenly went, literally, ape-shit. He started screaming at me to get moving, don't stop, get the hell out of here! I had never seen him act that way before... he was usually a pretty gritty fellow himself. So, since he was about to have a damn aneurysm or something, I pulled out and went on to the abandoned gravel pit to do my business. As I drove, he told me why he was so scared:

A few year  earlier, he had gone to that church with some other guys. There's a cemetery there with a local legend of a "glowing tombstone" (debunked by me... high phosphorous content and the moonlight can hit it through an opening in the canopy). They were going to see the glowing tombstone and rid the world of a few beers in the process. They stopped and got out, started walking toward the cemetery, and there it stood.

He described it as a wolf, standing behind one of the more prominent tombstones (it stands about 5 to 6 feet high), with its front paws resting on the top of the tombstone. He said they looked at each other for what seemed like several minutes, and it just stared back, slowly moving its head side to side. The boys ran back to their car, jumped inside, and all swore to never go there again at night.

OK, to be honest, I thought he was kinda funny. Sure, it reminded me of what had happened back at our place, but that critter was dead by now. I figured he had seen something he couldn't make out well and let his imagination run away with him. But a week or so later, I was home watching "The Howling" on videotape and he came up. He came inside and sat down, and the scene where the guy is changing into a werewolf was playing. I looked over and he was sitting there with his jaw dropped and pointing at the TV. He was terrified, white as a ghost! I asked him what was wrong and he said something like "You remember the thing I saw at the church? THAT'S IT!"

He wasn't as good a witness as my uncle was, admitted, but he was legitimately scared half to death.

Fast forward another decade or so. I'm dating my wife-to-be and home for a while. Lacking a suitable place with suitable privacy to do what all good rednecks do, we decided to head down to a secluded spot I knew on the river. There's an old abandoned barge there on a sandbar, connected by a single dirt road in. Nice, dark, secluded... perfect. So along with another friend and his girl, we head down there. I stay with the car while he takes his girl to the other end of the sandbar. I'm in the back seat trying desperately to steam up the windows when suddenly the hair on the back of my neck stands up. I stop, look around, but I don't see anything. My wife, however, felt it too and said there was something watching us. OK, both of us felt it, so I grab my gun (I kept a .357 Magnum under the seat loaded for bear) and stepped out of the car.

I didn't actually see anything... but folks, I have lived here in these woods all my life, and I know when something is watching me. There was something there among those trees. The closer I got, the more I felt it. And for once, even holding artillery, I was concerned. I called my friend, and we got out of there... haven't been back since.

One last fast forward, this time to maybe 15 years ago. My wife would take walks through our hayfields to stay in shape. The dogs went with her so I wasn't worried... we had a pit bull rescue and a stray basset hound that had adopted us... put those two together and they were a fighting machine! I knew they would protect her from anything that just happened to be there. She came across a dead rabbit... obviously killed by a predator, but not eaten. Then she found a squirrel a little farther away. All told there were several small dead critters arranged in roughly a circle. She suddenly felt like something was watching her and looked at the treeline. There it stood... a wolf, around six feet tall at the shoulder, on all fours, just staring at her.

The dogs suddenly weren't in a fighting mood. They got between her and it and started pushing her away, whining. These are dogs that would take on a bear and not lose... they were not known for being scared.

She said she watched it for a few minutes, unable to take her eyes off it. Then it turned and started trotting off. My wife ran back home, and wouldn't go back for a very long time.

There is something out here, and it looks/sounds like what is being discussed here. It's a type of wolf, huge, six feet tall at the shoulder on all fours, intelligent, and able to stand upright. It scares the hell out of anyone who sees it. It will kill livestock, but so far I have not heard of it actually attacking a human. It is normally shy and tends to avoid crowded areas. Dogs are terrified of it. Beyond that, I have no idea what this thing is.

I just know that it is.

TheRedneck
Im thinking your story should perhaps have its own thread . And i know the feeling you talked about . Years ago i was doing a line patrol (powerlines) here in Australia when i stopped to inspect a pole near a fence line . I noticed a depression around 3 feet around , in a weeded area and it was almost nestlike . i immediately felt like i was being watched and retreated to the 4wd and went to the next pole in a nice wide open paddock . Now you might say it could have been anything but i have worked in the sticks my whole working career and never seen anything like it , never . But it was the feeling of being watch that stuck with me . Never told that story before .
(06-29-2020, 12:43 PM)gordi Wrote: @"Raggedyman"
I think the images in this case, whilst a bit creepy, do look suspiciously fake to

If these creatures do exist, they may have quite a large range to hunt over...
If their territory includes, let's say 20 small farms? and half of their diet is from the wild animals...
Then an average of 2 kills a week would equate to 1 domestic (non-wild) kill a week... and so might only hit each individual farmer's stock once every 20 weeks (5 months) or so?

Obviously, if the bulk of their diet is actually wild deer etc, then those numbers could reduce quite significantly.
Yeah but
Wouldn’t there be a family, more than a couple, unless it’s a normal human during daylight and that’s a bit fantasy
Wolves, yeah more than possible, mountain lions or cougars from US navy, airforce army mascots, yeah

That image being real, sorry can’t buy into that.
Your numbers x 4 for a small community of hunters and if they got hungry, feed on anything anywhere
(06-29-2020, 10:14 AM)BIAD Wrote: I've been trying to find the thread where Ninurta posted some images of the big animal that was picked
up by a trail-cam. Sadly, I cannot find them. I hope he sees this post and re-issues those photos, whatever
that thing was close to his home (if I recall correctly), it was a big bugger!
minusculethumbsup

With gratitude to Ninurta for his assistance, my quest to discover the story and images of our favourite Woods-Runner
was a success. The link to this encounter -which wasn't a Werewolf or Bigfoot, can be found HERE, but nevertheless,
a strange creature indeed.

I've taken the liberty of placing the images in this thread to show the unusual creature and thanks again for Ninurta's
help and bringing the story to light.
All that's left is wonder what the hell was that massive thing that passed the trail-cam?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7323]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=7324]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=7326]
Audacious bump due to Ninurta's strange pictures!!!

tinybiggrin
@"BIAD" As I recall they called it a "Death Cat". It was allegedly in Cherokee County, North Carolina, which is somewhat closer to @"Mystic Wanderer" than it is to me, but the same general ridge of mountains.

Although it's called a "cat", some of the photos did look distinctly canine, especially the one that only showed the ridge of it's back. Others looked more feline, and one appeared to have either really long teeth or really long sideburns. The one you posted here reminds me of a Smilodon or Saber Toothed Tiger with the massive forequarters and the slope of it's back. It's hard to tell, because none of the pictures showed it's entire tail for a better ID.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-28-2020, 05:04 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Great comments, @"TheRedneck" .

Cheers

Dire Wolf. They had a reputation for being larger than modern wolves. Some folks think they may be the identification for the Waheela.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Listened to this one and thought of Ninurta's images of something big. (above)

One time, during the day. I walked into the woods and went up a trail that lead into a clearing next to a farm. I was admiring the scenery when I felt the ground shake...kinda like the scene in Jurassic Park when the T-Rex is coming...I felt this Thud...Thud...Thud...and when it started to feel like it was getting closer to me I bolted lol. To this day I have no clue what that was.