Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Tower Block In Glasgow, Scotland.
We're all still learning about cultural differences

Quote:Heartbreaking image shows woman cling to Glasgow window moments before tragic death.

The photograph was taken by a shocked eyewitness to Alem Shimeni's death, which has sparked
concerns over support services for immigrants housed in the city's tower blocks.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5349][Image: attachment.php?aid=5350]

'This is the horrific moment a woman dangles from an 11th floor window ledge before plunging to her
death. Shocked eyewitnesses watched from the street and nearby flats as Alem Shimeni struggled
desperately to claw her way back into the flat.

But she plummeted 100ft to the ground, dying instantly. Minutes later, locals in Glasgow’s Royston
apprehended a man as he tried to flee.

A witness who lives in an adjacent block took the photograph that captured the 30-year-old Eritrean’s
last moments. He said: “I could hear hysterical screaming and I went to the window and I saw the woman
being held by the hair.

“She didn’t fall right away, because she was trying desperately to hold on to the window sill and she was
scratching at the wall with her feet, trying to get a hold to keep herself from falling. “I thought I should take a
photo as evidence but I was really hoping she would be dragged back in by whoever was holding her hair.

“As I watched, she fell to the ground. She didn’t move.
“I can’t see how anyone could have survived that. It was terrible to watch.”

Alem’s tragic death prompted calls last night from Labour MP Paul Sweeney, who represents the area,
for a major overhaul of support services for immigrants –many of whom are housed in the city’s tower blocks.

He said: “I am continually shocked at the hostility and vindictiveness that the most vulnerable people in the
world are treated with when they come to this country. “The system is broken and leaves people even more
vulnerable.”

The eyewitness who took the photo told how he helped to tackle a man as he tried to run away from the scene
in Charles Street. He said: “I went running down the stairs, phoning 999 as I went.

“An African guy had come out of block 150 and had tried to run away. But he fell over a wall and he got grabbed
by a concierge and a few women who were there. “He broke away and I ran across and grabbed him and I was
helped by a few people. We held him until the police arrived a few minutes later.

“There were some women there who were hysterical. They spoke the same language as the guy.
“He was chanting and, I think, praying, and he looked out of it.

“I have no idea if he was related to the woman in any way or what any of it was about.”

Alem fell to her death on Monday at around 5.15pm.

Worshippers at the local Eritrean Orthodox church have paid tribute to the member of their congregation, calling
her a “wonderful” woman. Joseph Ghebreyesus, who is on the church board, said: “She was part of the choir.
We’ve lost a wonderful person and it’s a very hard time for us.”
The church is hoping to make arrangements to send Alem’s body back to her family in Eritrea.

Police have appealed for witnesses to come forward but said no charges had been brought in relation to the incident.
Detective Inspector Aileen Boyle, of the Major Investigation Team, said: “Officers are continuing to gather every detail
possible on Alem’s death.

“This is a very busy area and I am sure that there are people who may have witnessed this incident who have not yet
come forward to police. “The details they hold could be vital to this investigation and I would urge anyone with information
to contact us as soon as possible.”

Additional police patrols have been put in place in the area and there’s an incident caravan at the foot of the tower block...'
The Daily Record:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
WTAF?

Is the implication here that "Support Services are inadequate" and that "local hostility and vindictiveness" caused this?

Because from where I'm sitting it looks like a woman has been pulled by her hair and dragged/pushed out an 11th floor window whilst screaming hysterically and desperately trying to scratch at the wall to scramble to safety.
You can SEE the guy's arm and part of his head in the witness' image FFS!!!

Was "local hostility" pulling her hair and pushing her out the window?

What "Support Service" failed them???

Doesn't this look much more like a Violent, Controlling man with no regard for the rights, health and well-being of "his female possession" decides to teach her a lesson or even deliberately dispose of her by physically forcing her out the window?

or is it a tragic cry for help from the woman gone wrong? If the guy is grabbing her to try and save her... why is she screaming hysterically and why did he run?

The whole story STINKS to high heaven and I'm f*cking fed up with media spin at every "opportunity".

This is a tragic and terrible event, but I'll bet that it has very little to do with local support services, hostility or vindictiveness.

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(02-24-2019, 10:11 AM)gordi Wrote: WTAF?

Is the implication here that "Support Services are inadequate" and that "local hostility and vindictiveness" caused this?

Because from where I'm sitting it looks like a woman has been pulled by her hair and dragged/pushed out an 11th floor window whilst screaming hysterically and desperately trying to scratch at the wall to scramble to safety.
You can SEE the guy's arm and part of his head in the witness' image FFS!!!

Was "local hostility" pulling her hair and pushing her out the window?

What "Support Service" failed them???

Doesn't this look much more like a Violent, Controlling man with no regard for the rights, health and well-being of "his female possession" decides to teach her a lesson or even deliberately dispose of her by physically forcing her out the window?

or is it a tragic cry for help from the woman gone wrong? If the guy is grabbing her to try and save her... why is she screaming hysterically and why did he run?

The whole story STINKS to high heaven and I'm f*cking fed up with media spin at every "opportunity".

This is a tragic and terrible event, but I'll bet that it has very little to do with local support services, hostility or vindictiveness
Gordi im with you a 100%, I wonder if we will ever know the "truth"
(02-24-2019, 10:11 AM)gordi Wrote: WTAF?

You're right,Gordi, it does stink. I clicked on the link where a man above the window where the woman
was and it's reported:

Quote:'...Akm Faridzuzzaman, 38, looked on helplessly from the veranda of his home as the woman plunged
to her death from a multi-storey block of flats in Glasgow on Monday night.

He said: “I heard my wife shouting that there was a woman hanging out of the window.
“I shouted on my wife to get in and ran out and started to phone 999 for an ambulance.
A man was holding her but she was just hanging there, not making any effort to get back up...'

A strange comment to say considering the person who took the photograph is quoted in the original
article as saying :
"...She didn’t fall right away, because she was trying desperately to hold on to the window sill and she
was scratching at the wall with her feet, trying to get a hold to keep herself from falling...."

So which one is it?

However, someone unnamed in a flat below the scene said:

Quote:'...“I looked out the window to see she was lying on the grass below.
One of the concierges had put something over her to cover her...'

'...“It’s the second time in a few months that someone has died coming out a window in these blocks
 In December a man died after falling from the sixth floor of the next block.”...'
SOURCE:
The tower blocks in Charles Street seems to cater for those with low income and on Government Welfare.
Whether any of this relevant, I don't know, but the guy who was holding the victim's hair, 'chanting' and
rolling around on the grass near her certainly needs checking.

Did her scrambling for a foothold mean she'd had second-thoughts about jumping or was she trying not
to be dropped out of the window? We'll have to wait and see.
That area (Royston, Glasgow) is full of low-income, benefits and immigrant families, which is fair enough.
But the "spin" on the story seems to be trying to blame the other (native) locals or (unspecified) local support services???

Far be it for me to suggest that it could possibly be an immigrant (Eritrean/African) cultural issue which may have feck all to do with the indigenous locals or the local support services.
I mean, we're not really allowed to even suggest that are we? So.... it must be the locals and the failings of the local council eh? Must be...
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(02-24-2019, 06:47 PM)gordi Wrote: That area (Royston, Glasgow) is full of low-income, benefits and immigrant families, which is fair enough.
But the "spin" on the story seems to be trying to blame the other (native) locals or (unspecified) local support services???

Far be it for me to suggest that it could possibly be an immigrant (Eritrean/African) cultural issue which may have feck all to do with the indigenous locals or the local support services.
I mean, we're not really allowed to even suggest that are we? So.... it must be the locals and the failings of the local council eh? Must be...

It has to be local services or indigenous locals because:

1. People on low income and who are immigrants need to know that the Government is in charge and
that any future lies on the road of needing benefits and accepting the services they are given are a
commitment that can be taken away.

2. It can't be the person who was holding her hair due to political correctness.
tinysure