Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exciting? You bet ! It took 53 years...
But tonight as I was on the road, a little before 9:30PM, I saw my very first fireball go right across the sky of Montreal !

At first I was like...the hell? and quickly realized what it was even if it lasted just a couple of seconds.

I know, I know...not exciting for most, but for me, WOW !

They'll probably talk about it on the news. Perhaps a CCTV camera got it.

Now I just wonder where it landed. Meteorites are worth big $$$$.

I remember, on ATS, I once had a chat with Phage and he was telling me that he's seen that happen in his lifetime...twice. And I remember thinking 'Lucky bastard'...

Anyone here ever seen one with your own eyes?

I highly recommend it. Biggrin
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(06-15-2016, 03:56 AM)solarius Wrote: But tonight as I was on the road, a little before 9:30PM, I saw my very first fireball go right across the sky of Montreal !

At first I was like...the hell? and quickly realized what it was even if it lasted just a couple of seconds.

I remember, on ATS, I once had a chat with Phage and he was telling me that he's seen that happen in his lifetime...twice. And I remember thinking 'Lucky bastard'...

I highly recommend it.  Biggrin

Yes, it was several years ago, but I saw it.  I saw one when I was younger too.  Ner-ner-ner-ner! tinybiggrin
In 2004 I took over as head coach for the high school football team.
During the season-opening pregame ceremony, I was standing on the sideline - totally frazzled with what was about to transpire.  I almost didn't notice the fireball as it travelled west to east, low in the sky.  Didn't even have time to mention it to anyone or ask if anyone-else saw it.
The following day, read that it had landed somewhere in Nebraska.

ETA: I did ask family members if they saw it...and none recalled.
I saw one once before, several years ago.

Like you, we were traveling and saw it go across the sky.

We were like WTH???  tinybighuh

Then we turned into little school kids going 'oooh & aaawww'   holy cow, did you see that.... minusculebiggrin
Silly, I know, but ...... minusculerolleyes

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(06-15-2016, 04:11 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 03:56 AM)solarius Wrote: But tonight as I was on the road, a little before 9:30PM, I saw my very first fireball go right across the sky of Montreal !

I highly recommend it.  Biggrin

Yes, it was several years ago, but I saw it.  I saw one when I was younger too.  Ner-ner-ner-ner! tinybiggrin

<-------------------- This guy there. Jealous.
(06-15-2016, 04:21 AM)Minstrel Wrote: Didn't even have time to mention it to anyone or ask if anyone-else saw it.

Haha...exactly what I was thinking last night. Pics or it didn't happen lol ....right. But it's well preserved inside my brain's memory banks. Coolest thing ever.
(06-15-2016, 05:29 AM)senona Wrote: We were like WTH???  tinybighuh

Then we turned into little school kids going 'oooh & aaawww'   holy cow, did you see that.... minusculebiggrin
Silly, I know, but ...... minusculerolleyes

Not silly at all...I was exactly like that !

Got home and told Louise that it took 53 years but I finally had an exciting experience on the road..

"What?"

"I saw my first fireball go across the sky in Montreal..."

"Oh..okay."

mediumsmartass

As exciting a response as staring at paint drying on the wall. So I understand it's no biggie for most but for me?

Coolest thing ever ! Well...one of the coolest things ever... tinydrroling
(06-15-2016, 04:19 PM)solarius Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 04:21 AM)Minstrel Wrote: Didn't even have time to mention it to anyone or ask if anyone-else saw it.

Haha...exactly what I was thinking last night. Pics or it didn't happen lol ....right. But it's well preserved inside my brain's memory banks. Coolest thing ever.

Just wait until you see an alien spaceship only a few feet away from you!  That will definitely be locked in your memory banks. smalltappinghead
I would be excited as hell to see a fireball! tinybiggrin

I'd be excited to see a UFO too, as long as it wasn't close enough to zoom me up or anything.
Quote:Coolest thing ever ! Well...one of the coolest things ever... [Image: tinydrooling.png]

I've seen a few shooting starts too over the years, when I used to walk my dog.
That tickled me as well!   :smalleyeroll:

Yeah, kinda kills the moment when the other person you are trying to explain it to is kinda like --'So, whatever'   (yawn)   smallnotamused

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

About thirty years ago I was heading to town from the camp to see if anyone was out that I knew.  It was about twelve thirty at night.  A huge fireball flew from in back of the truck and over towards town, disappearing over a hill.  I thought it was smaller and lower, but it was actually high and hit in Canada about four to five hundred miles away.  When I got to the bar, nobody had seen it and they thought I might be a little spaced out.  The next day when I mentioned it everyone looked at me like I was nuts.  Three days later there was an article about it in the local paper saying it had gone right over town and crashed in Canada.  The article said nobody had seen it.  I carried that article around for about two weeks showing people I was not seeing things that weren't real.  I heard of nobody that had seen it, it lasted for half a minute and lit up the snow all around. 

I suppose it was twelve thirty at night on a cold and snowy weekday night.  There was no such thing as facebook back then and nobody had camera phones.
(06-17-2016, 12:26 AM)rickymouse Wrote: About thirty years ago I was heading to town from the camp to see if anyone was out that I knew.  It was about twelve thirty at night.  A huge fireball flew from in back of the truck and over towards town, disappearing over a hill.  I thought it was smaller and lower, but it was actually high and hit in Canada about four to five hundred miles away.  When I got to the bar, nobody had seen it and they thought I might be a little spaced out.  The next day when I mentioned it everyone looked at me like I was nuts.  Three days later there was an article about it in the local paper saying it had gone right over town and crashed in Canada.  The article said nobody had seen it.  I carried that article around for about two weeks showing people I was not seeing things that weren't real.  I heard of nobody that had seen it, it lasted for half a minute and lit up the snow all around. 

I suppose it was twelve thirty at night on a cold and snowy weekday night.  There was no such thing as facebook back then and nobody had camera phones.

Cool stuff ! But even with a camera phone...by the time you realize what it is and think whoa cool...it's gone : )

I am actually surprised to see that quite a bit of people have seen one. Neat !!