Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
We may finally know what causes Alzheimer’s – and how to stop it

Another reason to take care of your mouth/teeth/gums.
The bacteria from gum disease may be found to be culprits of damaging the brain's neurons. Which in turn over time, leads to Dementia/Alzeimers.

It does not apply to everyone, but it is a start.
Maybe with further research, it can help patients in the near future.

Quote:
 If you bled when you brushed your teeth this morning, you might want to get that seen to. We may finally have found the long-elusive cause of Alzheimer’s disease: Porphyromonas gingivalis, the key bacteria in chronic gum disease

That’s bad, as gum disease affects around a third of all people. But the good news is that a drug that blocks the main toxins of P. gingivalis is entering major clinical trials this year, and research published today shows it might stop and even reverse Alzheimer’s. There could even be a vaccine.

Alzheimer’s is one of the biggest mysteries in medicine. As populations have aged, dementia has skyrocketed to become the fifth biggest cause of death worldwide. Alzheimer’s constitutes some 70 per cent of these cases and yet, we don’t know what causes it.

Bacteria in the brain

The disease often involves the accumulation of proteins called amyloid and tau in the brain, and the leading hypothesis has been that the disease arises from defective control of these two proteins.

But research in recent years has revealed that people can have amyloid plaques without having dementia. So many efforts to treat Alzheimer’s by moderating these proteins have failed that the hypothesis has been seriously questioned.

However evidence has been growing that the function of amyloid proteins may be as a defence against bacteria, leading to a spate of recent studies looking at bacteria in Alzheimer’s, particularly those that cause gum disease, which is known to be a major risk factor for the condition.

Bacteria involved in gum disease and other illnesses have been found after death in the brains of people who had Alzheimer’s, but until now, it hasn’t been clear whether these bacteria caused the disease or simply got in via brain damage caused by the condition.

[Image: b2201418-oral_bacteria_tem-800x533.jpg]

Quote:
Gum disease link

Multiple research teams have been investigating P. gingivalis, and have so far found that it invades and inflames brain regions affected by Alzheimer’s; that gum infections can worsen symptoms in mice genetically engineered to have Alzheimer’s; and that it can cause Alzheimer’s-like brain inflammation, neural damage, and amyloid plaques in healthy mice.

“When science converges from multiple independent laboratories like this, it is very compelling,” says Casey Lynch of Cortexyme, a pharmaceutical firm in San Francisco, California.

In the new study, Cortexyme have now reported finding the toxic enzymes – called gingipains – that P. gingivalis uses to feed on human tissue in 96 per cent of the 54 Alzheimer’s brain samples they looked at, and found the bacteria themselves in all three Alzheimer’s brains whose DNA they examined.

“This is the first report showing P. gingivalis DNA in human brains, and the associated gingipains, co-lococalising with plaques,” says Sim Singhrao, of the University of Central Lancashire, UK. 

Her team previously found that P. gingivalis actively invades the brains of mice with gum infections. She adds that the new study is also the first to show that gingipains slice up tau protein in ways that could allow it to kill neurons, causing dementia.

Quote:New treatment hope

Some brain samples from people without Alzheimer’s also had P. gingivalis and protein accumulations, but at lower levels. We already know that amyloid and tau can accumulate in the brain for 10 to 20 years before Alzheimer’s symptoms begin. This, says Lynch, shows P. gingivalis is a cause of Alzheimer’s, not a result.

Gum disease is far more common than Alzheimer’s. But “Alzheimer’s strikes people who accumulate gingipains and damage in the brain fast enough to develop symptoms during their lifetimes,” she says. “We believe this is a universal hypothesis of pathogenesis.”

Cortexyme reported in October that the best of their gingipain blockers had passed initial safety tests in people, and entered the brain. It also seemed to improve participants with Alzheimer’s. Later this year the firm will launch a larger trial of the drug, looking for P. gingivalis in spinal fluid, and cognitive improvements, before and after.

They also plan to test it against gum disease itself. Efforts to fight that have led a team in Melbourne to develop a vaccine for P. gingivalis that started tests in 2018. A vaccine for gum disease would be welcome – but if it also stops Alzheimer’s the impact could be enormous.

Time to start doing more than just brushing, like gargling with peroxide and water, to clean that mouth out of bacteria.
Do some oil pulling as well.

Swoosh coconut oil around for 10-20 minutes or so, spit out in garbage. That helps pull out bacteria as well.

Jim did have bad teeth, inherited it from his Mom's side of the family. Finally had all his teeth pulled when we were working the Fort Smith Rodeo and Futurity back in the 90's (full dentures).
Maybe that played a part in his dementia along with his numerous medicines over the years. Who knows?!

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Well that's my goose well and surely cooked! I've suffered -and currently suffering, with gum abscesses all my life!

Now... what was I saying? tinysurprised
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I think "they" already know what causes it, but they are keeping it from us because "they" are the ones who caused it. 

It is my opinion that ingredients put in vaccines, and also the metals that we breath from chemtrails get lodged into our brain and mess things up. 
I've also read some things about root canals causing some sort of problem, but I don't remember if it was with the brain, or the heart.

That C60 Purple Power drink that I posted in your other thread said it helped with dementia, I believe. It's expensive, but for all it does it might be worth it.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with C60 Purple Power in any way.
(01-25-2019, 04:28 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I think "they" already know what causes it, but they are keeping it from us because "they" are the ones who caused it. 

It is my opinion that ingredients put in vaccines, and also the metals that we breath from chemtrails get lodged into our brain and mess things up. 
I've also read some things about root canals causing some sort of problem, but I don't remember if it was with the brain, or the heart.

That C60 Purple Power drink that I posted in your other thread said it helped with dementia, I believe. It's expensive, but for all it does it might be worth it.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with C60 Purple Power in any way.

To be honest tho, I do not think there is any one specific thing that one can lay blame on.
In other words, there is not a single cause of the disease but rather multiple.

A lot of it is hereditary. That is a given.

But for those like Jim and others, it could be due to:

• poor diet
  • health issues  (diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke etc)
  • severe head injury (such as in football , boxing  etc)
  • heart condition  (vascular related)
  • numerous medicines that a person takes (side effects of some over long periods of time)
  • bacteria from gum disease
  • environmental factors
  • overall aging 

New studies also show that people who eat diets high in sugar are at greater risk.
Which of course, falls under poor diets.  

Then one cannot forget about the amount of chemical crap the FDA allows into our food supply as well. Even the ones claiming to be healthy.
The sugar substitutes, GMO's (no proof, mind you), meats & milk tainted with hormones. 
Well the list is endless.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(01-25-2019, 01:11 PM)BIAD Wrote: Well that's my goose well and surely cooked! I've suffered -and currently suffering, with gum abscesses all my life!

Now... what was I saying? tinysurprised

Me too.

I went to a dentist in the 90's, and they did something called a "deep cleaning" that involved scraping the roots of my teeth between the teeth and gums with some kind of instrument. My gums started bleeding, and bled for 0ver 20 years, including abscesses. For several years, I could just suck my teeth and spit out blood, it was that constant. After that, I never went back to a dentist. I figured that if it could make me bleed that long, it couldn't be a good thing.

So I'm probably done for.

I've always figured that folks who suffer dementia and such are still in there, they just can't get out because the mechanisms that connect their spirit to their body have been damaged, which disallows proper communication with the outside world... looks like I might get the chance to test that theory out, but no one will ever know the result.

Ain't that a pisser?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(01-26-2019, 03:37 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Me too.

I went to a dentist in the 90's, and they did something called a "deep cleaning" that involved scraping the roots of my teeth between the teeth and gums with some kind of instrument. My gums started bleeding, and bled for 0ver 20 years, including abscesses. For several years, I could just suck my teeth and spit out blood, it was that constant. After that, I never went back to a dentist. I figured that if it could make me bleed that long, it couldn't be a good thing.

So I'm probably done for.

I've always figured that folks who suffer dementia and such are still in there, they just can't get out because the mechanisms that connect their spirit to their body have been damaged, which disallows proper communication with the outside world... looks like I might get the chance to test that theory out, but no one will ever know the result.

Ain't that a pisser?

It certainly is a pisser!

Around the same decade you mentioned, I went to an appointment put in after a filling and without telling me
why, the dentist said he was going to make 'a cast'. I went back a week later during work hours and after
sticking his needle into the roof of my mouth a few times, ripped out the majority of my teeth!

He jammed the new dentures in, told me the cost and I stumbled out of his office wondering what the hell
had happened.

His wife -who worked at the same place as me, had left him for the Managing Director of my company and
sitting at work later, all numb and unable to speak, I reckoned I was the result of his anger!

I never went back.

Back in the sixties, they used to gas you and I recall being taken into a room with other kids and being
told to sit in a dentist chair.
The only memory I have is being slapped awake, carried out of the room with blood dripping from my mouth
and groggily glancing over at a line of these dentist chairs with the other kids still being worked on.

They'd left a hook of tooth still in there that ripped my tongue later, so I guessed the adults in the white
coats were trainees. And that can have an effect on how we perceive dentists!

The irony is that -that memory is still there and we're talking about Alzheimer’s!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
It would be interesting to study if the amount of Alzheimer cases have gone up in the last 30 or so years, or has the way of detecting it got better ?
I think as Senona has said it could be linked to our life style ( very stress full life style, and the fact we are living far longer that we were designed to)
I dont think it a way of controlling the population as its too slow and too expensive to treat.