Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WaPo: Trump won the night
The Democrats had to have their voices heard after President Trump addressed the nation from the Oval Office last night regarding illegal border crossing and building a southern "barrier". 
According to The Washington Post, President Trump's speech won out over Nancy's and Chuck's.
Has hell frozen over, or did someone at WaPo finally see the Democrat leaders for what they are and called them out?

Quote:President Trump did something Tuesday night that he has rarely done since taking office: He used the presidential bully pulpit to reach beyond his hardcore base of supporters to make his case to the American people as a whole.

Speaking from the Oval Office for the first time during his presidency, Trump embraced our country’s tradition as a nation of immigrants, declaring “America proudly welcomes millions of lawful immigrants who enrich our society and contribute to our nation.” He then offered a cogent explanation why he believes we face what he called “a humanitarian crisis — a crisis of the heart and a crisis of the soul” along our southern border.

He pointed out the human cost of our broken system to illegal migrants themselves, expressing compassion for the “children [who] are used as human pawns by vicious coyotes and ruthless gangs” and the “women [who] are sexually assaulted on the dangerous trek up through Mexico.” He shared heartbreaking stories of Americans killed by criminal aliens who had no right to be here — including a police officer in California who was murdered, a 16-year-old girl who was brutally stabbed in Maryland, and an Air Force veteran who was raped and beaten to death.

“I’ve held the hands of the weeping mothers and embraced the grief-stricken fathers,” Trump declared. “I will never forget the pain in their eyes, the tremble in their voices, or the sadness gripping their souls.”

And he laid out his solution, which he explained was “developed by law enforcement professionals and border agents” and includes funds for cutting-edge technology, more border agents, more immigration judges, more bed space and medical support — and $5.7 billion for a “physical barrier” that he called “just common sense.” Without naming her, Trump responded to the absurd charge from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) that a wall is “immoral.” Democrats voted repeatedly for physical barriers until he was elected president, he noted. If a wall is immoral, Trump asked, “why do wealthy politicians build walls, fences and gates around their homes? They don’t build walls because they hate the people on the outside, but because they love the people on the inside.”

The president did not unilaterally declare a national emergency. Instead, he called for compromise and said, “To those who refuse to compromise in the name of border security, I would ask: imagine if it was your child, your husband, or your wife, whose life was so cruelly shattered and totally broken?”

After President Trump addressed the nation Jan. 8, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) responded. (The Washington Post)

He was, in short, presidential.
Democrats insisted on equal time, which is highly unusual for presidential addresses other than the State of the Union. It was a mistake. In contrast to Trump, Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) came across as small and intransigent.

While Trump spoke calmly and rationally from behind the Resolute Desk, the Democratic leaders accused him of “pounding the table” and having a “temper tantrum.” While Trump told human stories, they complained about process. They accused him of arguing that the women and children at the border were “a security threat” when he had just explained to the American people that they were victims, too. They charged him with using the “backdrop of the Oval Office to manufacture a crisis, stoke fear and divert attention from the turmoil in his administration.” They were partisan and petty, while Trump came across as reasonable and even compassionate.

To normal Americans watching in the heartland, and who are not steeped in Trump hatred, the president must have seemed like the adult in the room.

And, most important, Pelosi and Schumer failed to use the one word that millions of Americans were longing to hear — compromise. But Trump did. That is why the president won the night. Schumer and Pelosi appealed to their base, while Trump made an effective appeal to persuadable Americans.

Until now, Trump has owned the 18-day government shutdown that prompted this address, because he’s the one who started it. But if Democrats continue to attack him, and won’t entertain any compromise, soon the shutdown will be all theirs — because they’re the ones who have refused to end it.

You can watch the full speeches of both from the Source Article
Is it me or...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5077]

Quote:Trump walks out of shutdown talks with a 'bye-bye'.

'President Donald Trump has walked out of a meeting with Democratic leaders as negotiations
broke down on the 19th day of a US government shutdown.

The Republican president ended talks after Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer stuck by their refusal
to fund his planned US-Mexico border wall. Mr Trump called his meeting with the pair "a total waste
of time".

Hundreds of thousands of federal employees who are working without pay will miss their pay cheque
this week. Mr Trump has threatened to declare a national emergency over the "crisis" at the border,
bypassing congressional approval to build the wall.

The standoff has resulted in a partial government shutdown since 22 December.

"@realDonaldTrump
 Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time.
I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up,
are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or
Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!"

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Mrs Pelosi said the mood in the White House was "cold".
Mr Schumer said the president abruptly left when Mrs Pelosi said she would not approve of any wall
funding. He said: "He asked Speaker Pelosi, 'Will you agree to my wall?' She said no.
"And he just got up and said, 'Then we have nothing to discuss,' and he just walked out.

"Again, we saw a temper tantrum because he couldn't get his way."
Also outside the White House, top Republicans accused Democrats of intransigence.
Vice-President Mike Pence told reporters he was "disappointed" that Democrats were "unwilling to
engage in good faith negotiations".

Senate leader Mitch McConnell, who earlier on Wednesday accused Democrats of opposing the
president out of partisan "spite", said Republicans were "all behind the president".
Kevin McCarthy, Republican leader in the House of Representatives, said he found the Democrats'
behaviour "embarrassing"...'
SOURCE:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
They've shown over and over they are more interested in protecting illegals (the only voting base they can count on to win elections in the future) than they are in protecting our citizens.
Why there is even a democrat party left at this point is beyond me!  Anyone who supports these fools needs to go ahead and move to Venezuela.

Time to declare a State of Emergency and get the wall built, Mr. President.
I must be living in a sit-com.

Quote:CNN’s Jim Acosta mocked for accidentally proving that border walls work.

'House Speaker Nancy Pelosi might want to confiscate someone’s selfie stick.
CNN’s Jim Acosta was mocked across social media on Thursday for posting a video that was
meant to downplay President Trump's claims of a border crisis --but ended up supporting his
argument that border barriers improve security.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5078]

“Here are some of the steel slats that the president’s been talking about,” Acosta said while
reporting from the southern border. “But as we’re walking along here, we’re not seeing any
kind of imminent danger.

The CNN reporter added, “There are no migrants trying to rush toward this fence.”

Acosta then declared there was “no sign of the national emergency that the president has been
talking about” and it was “tranquil” near him. He captioned the video, “I found some steel slats
down on the border. But I don’t see anything resembling a national emergency situation..
at least not in the McAllen TX area of the border where Trump will be today.”

CNN’s chief White House correspondent –who seemingly uploaded the video from a local Burger
King –is in Texas awaiting Trump’s border visit. While Acosta often clashes with the president and
his aides, pundits suggested he did the president a favor this time.

Media watchdogs were quick to point out that the CNN reporter’s video helps prove Trump’s point
that a wall or barrier along the Southern border could help prevent illegal border crossings.

Others swiping at Acosta included one of his former CNN colleagues Peter Hamby...'
SOURCE:

Quote:Caleb Hull
@CalebJHull
 Jim Acosta just posted one of the biggest self owns ever.

He's walking along the border where there's a wall in place talking about how there's
nothing that "resembles a national emergency situation" and "there's no migrants
trying to rush."
That's because there's a wall, Jim.

Quote:Jerry Dunleavy
@JerryDunleavy “Walls work.”— Jim @Acosta

Quote:Jake Wilkins
@JakeWilkns
 So where there are steel slats, there isn't an emergency crisis. Got it.

Quote:Stephen Miller
@redsteez
 Er, you found a place where there is a barrier and all is quiet?
Jim, do you know what point you're actually making here?

Quote:Ryan Saavedra
@RealSaavedra
 Acosta making videos for the Trump administration showing the effectiveness of border
barriers:

Quote:Jim Acosta
@Acosta
All quiet on this stretch of the border ahead of Trump’s visit to McAllen TX area.

Quote:Peter Hamby
@PeterHamby
 I am *shocked* that a glib video, customized for re-tweets and filmed in broad daylight along
one of the more secure parts of the RGV by a reporter who parachuted in for the day, did not
reveal anything dramatic.

Quote:David Martosko
@dmartosko
Jim Acosta is at the border, showing that orgainzed, aggressive challenges to the U.S. border
aren't happening at a place where there's a giant steel wall.

Quote:Brad Parscale
@parscale
 I would like to thank @Acosta for pointing out how peaceful, safe and secure it is at a part of
the border that HAS a wall. #RealNews #BuildTheWall

Quote:Harry Khachatrian
@Harry1T6
One day we’ll look back and remember that time Jim Acosta tried proving that the American
border doesn’t need a wall by showing how safe the part of the American border that already
has a wall is.

Quote:Amanda House
@AmandaLeeHouse
 Jim Acosta makes a case for the wall.

Quote:Ryan Petty
@rpetty
 Where @acosta inadvertently proves @realDonaldTrump point and demonstrates that walls
actually work.

Quote:Ben Shapiro
@benshapiro
 It's almost as though having steel slats might help prevent illegal immigration where you're
filming, dolt.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Quote:CNN’s Jim Acosta was mocked across social media on Thursday for posting a video that was
meant to downplay President Trump's claims of a border crisis --but ended up supporting his
argument that border barriers improve security.

I saw that.   tinylaughing

These people are stupid!   minusculebonker