Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Facebook and Messenger App
I never have downloaded Facebook Messenger app, due to most apps are very intrusive when it comes to your phone.

And I have always been able to view the messages straight from phone.....until today.
It flat refused me access to my message unless I downloaded said app.

So I get on computer and just for the hell of it, check out what "permissions" it wants before I go any further.

And dayuum, at what all FB Messenger can do with your phone once the app is downloaded and I betcha most people do not even know.

So I will post the permissions here (for android)
But there are so many permissions needed, it took more than 1 screenshot, so there are several images:

[Image: e0a46b4001c140c8b89e5ecbb2579718.png]

[Image: 756bbbdc16894b4ea08eb325323c7211.png]

[Image: 04e4acf098df4b85818e5e6ec34c7c69.png]

[Image: 87ba806802da4eb3a346c889e887b484.png]

[Image: 71788e1f1c2e4e0b9cbb108d7f7fd64b.png]

Now then, for "Other" that in of itself required a couple screenshots...
There are 3 under above, but will start over

[Image: 03c47ee12d364deba3fb7369161492f0.png]

[Image: c00e466c79f54469bcca2a01ef89de3a.png]

Hmmm, think they left anything off of there?
Damn, they can just about take over and control your phone from the sounds of it.
Scary, huh?

No way in hell will I ever download such an intrusive controlling app.
The Messenger App has got to be one of the worst I have come across yet where permissions are concerned.

Sorry Mystic, if FB no longer allows me access from phone to read messages, I will have to wait until I get on computer. Ha
Never will I use that app!!!!!

So please, stop and read what permissions are required before installing ANY app, whether it be for Android or IPhone.
They put the app 'permissions' waaaaay down below the ratings/comments, but they are there.
Just hoping you will not take the time to look for it and read it.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Shocked  

My messenger works on my tablet, but I have never tried it on my phone.  I hardly ever use my tablet unless I want to sit in the recliner and listen to a podcast, or something I can't get on t.v.    My daughter set it up for me when I got it, so no telling what all she has just stuck on there without realizing.

Well, like I said, I hardly ever use it, and after reading that, I may never use F/B on there again!  :stumped:

I understand about not wanting to load it, Sen.  We can still talk here.  :biggrin:
Facebook "claims" that it is how Android has them set it up
As well as needing permission if someone wants to send images or what have you.

But another source said it leaves it wide open to be abused, especially when people are not aware of what all they have access to.

I've never had an issue on my phone posting to the chat on FB.
Therefore I do not see why they are 'forcing' the messenger app on users.
Hence why I am a little suspicious.

For those that want to do more other than sending just a chat message, I can see the need for it.
But we ought to have the choice of whether or not we want to use the app or not IMO.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'