Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The new Dr Who
Just seen the new Dr who.
Story line was a bit childish but ok, acting ok, to be honest it got me interested to watch more to see how it goes.
However it seem to me that the new doctor was copying very much David Tennant and seemed a little empty as far as having her own "soul".
Also people of colour seemed to be very over represented, and they just had to get an old guy in as well, ticking all the boxes.
Sorry but the doctors voice is like fingernails on a black board.
So if any one else has seen it, do tell what you think
It's been a long time since I've ever watched Dr. Who, in fact my interest started to dwindle after Jon Pertwee.
Today, with the BBC's condescending diversity policy, a storyline takes second-place for the sake of parading
their pompous pretence.

I'm not saying a woman shouldn't be the Doctor, just as my lack of concern of who the sidekicks should be,
but since the real reason semi-renown BBC-contracted actors from previous children-orientated programmes
were used to promote ratings in the past, one would be tempted to assume Jodie Whittaker will do the same.

However, Ms. Whitaker tended to act in more-adult themes before Dr. Who and it's only been through pushing
the feminist angle at the BBC that she'd been exposed to fans of the show. The result was just as the BBC
thought by doing so, female fans demanded the right for a female to take the role in the name of equality.
The state-owned broadcasting company has simply created the problem and then delivered the remedy.

As I said, I don't watch the series, but I think what the Beeb did to placate a department that doesn't have a
problem in advertising for actors and added that white people cannot apply, is shitty and far-removed from the
days when the series struggled for funding.

It's enough to make Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee roll in their graves!

The thick Northern England Yorkshire accent is only done to lend a gritty credibility because of BBC's northern
base in Manchester. Namely, the MediaCityUK at Salford Quays. It's a mere ingratiating tactic used on the locals.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=953]
Continuing in my 'half-rant' regarding Dr. Who, here's another example of how the BBC -not only self advertises its
programme in the form on an article, it leans on the victimhood plank with another piece about a paid BBC Reporter
watching the series who has a minority problem.

Mr. Gerken also enjoys writing about the 'alt-right' and 'white nationalism', so you know his paradigm fits in with
the BBC left-position.

I'm not being heartless, clumsiness due to dyspraxia is a genuine disorder these days and even though I understand
that fans can imagine themselves inside a television show or movie, this article offers another view of the way the
mainstream media 'use' customers with problems as an empathic vehicle to encourage the culture of victimhood.

By Tom Gerken
BBC UGC & Social News

Quote:Doctor Who: How the dyspraxic assistant became my hero.

'Ever since the 2005 series reboot, I've been hooked on Who. So, I was surprised to find my highlight of the opening
episode of the new series was nothing to do with the latest Doctor's debut but involved a relatively minor character
falling off a bike.

More than 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with dyspraxia. And Sunday night was the first time I have ever come across
a fictional character portraying my disability. The episode has received broadly positive reviews, most focusing on the
spectacular performance of the first female Doctor, Jodie Whittaker.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4595]

But for me it acquired real resonance when Tosin Cole was introduced as Ryan, a young man with dyspraxia.
Doctors will tell you dyspraxia is a "developmental co-ordination disorder" but this can cover a wide range.
Someone with dyspraxia might have problems with fine motor skills, such as hand-writing and typing.

I want to ride my bicycle
Others, including me, might struggle with memory, planning and organisation, and particularly with learning skills
involving coordination - catching a ball or riding a bike.

Which is where Doctor Who comes in.
Soon after we meet Ryan, he too is finding it impossible to keep his balance on a bicycle.
Let's be clear -just because you have dyspraxia, it doesn't mean you will never ride a bike. It may simply take longer
to learn than it would for someone else. In some cases, a lot longer.

My brother -who also has dyspraxia -was eventually able to learn how to ride, while I never was.
The frustration that comes with not being able to learn at a normal pace can be so affecting that you give up learning
a skill altogether. I still can't ride a bike. I don't think I'll ever be able to.

In Doctor Who, Ryan becomes angry at his failures as he relentlessly falls off his bicycle.
Later in the episode, he attempts to channel his frustration and learn again - yet he still fails.
It cannot be overstated how happy I was at this moment. I didn't want Ryan to suddenly, magically succeed.
I wanted him to keep failing.

Don't call him inspirational
Dyspraxia doesn't have an overnight fix. You can't will yourself to not be disabled anymore.
It's always there, always present, always making things harder than they should be.
I don't want to see people using the word "inspirational" to describe him. He's not an inspiration.
He's a normal guy, who happens to have a disability.

But there's something else to the representation of dyspraxia in Doctor Who that I really, really like.
Ryan shies away from the word "dyspraxia" when we first see him. In fact, the word isn't used at all in the
episode until about 15 minutes in, when Ryan's aunt explains his disability to another character.

I was so impressed to see that feeling of anxiety so accurately represented on television by this deliberate omission.
I too hate saying that word - it requires so much explanation.
It's much easier to smirk and refer to myself as clumsy when I lose my balance while walking, or claim I'm drunk
after a single drink. It's easier to just not mention my disability and hope people don't notice...'
BBC:

There's more in the link, but fundamentally this is a composition that implies Tom Gerken struggles -not only with
activities requiring coordination and movement, but perceiving a fictional character as something more than just
an actor earning a wage.

But I'd prefer not to insult the writer and just assume he's being guileful in order to promote the programme.
It seems to be all about 'Oh, don't call the character a hero... just a victim who rides above the rest'.
However, maybe not on a bike.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

When are they going to cast a Gay, Trans Female as Dr. Who?
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(10-12-2018, 06:24 AM)guohua Wrote: When are they going to cast a Gay, Trans Female as Dr. Who?

As soon as her contract runs out and if the current snowflake situation continues!
tinylaughing