Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The foal that came in from the cold after 40,000 years
Dear Rogues...
Here lies an interesting story.
The story of a Sensational find...
The world’s only completely preserved ancient baby horse! (aged just three months when it died in the Palaeolithic period!!)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4316]

Quote:‘The unique find was made in the permafrost of Batagai depression. The foal was completely preserved by permafrost...

‘The foal has completely preserved dark-brown hair, its tail and mane, as well as all internal organs...

‘There are no visible wounds on its body...

‘This is the first find in the world find of a pre-historic horse of such a young age and with such an amazing level of preservation.’

A perfectly preserved foal from the Palaeolithic - approx 40,000 years old!
What else may lie hidden beneath Siberia's icy crust?

LINK to original article in The Siberian Times website

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
The guy on the right look like he has some recipes in mind, or he could be thinking, " I wish these guys were gone and it was dark"
Fascinating! 

I wonder if they will send it to a lab for tests, or place it in a museum where people can see it? 

My bet is it will be in a lab, sliced up, ran through every test imaginable, and only pictures will be available for future generations.
This is interesting, yes, they Blamed the Russians for cutting down to many trees in the area.
But look at their discoveries, these is not the first find in that area, I think they also found a new species of Woolly Mammoth the other day, aa Pygmy type, not found before.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(08-14-2018, 06:00 PM)guohua Wrote: This is interesting, yes, they Blamed the Russians for cutting down to many trees in the area.
But look at their discoveries, these is not the first find in that area, I think they also found a new species of Woolly Mammoth the other day, aa Pygmy type, not found before.

Indeed!
Did you notice the shape of the one kilometre "megaslump" that it was found in?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4322]

It looks like a giant trilobite or something!! LOL
tinybiggrin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-14-2018, 10:46 AM)Wallfire Wrote: The guy on the right look like he has some recipes in mind, or he could be thinking, " I wish these guys were gone and it was dark"

HaHa!

Yeah, they asked that guy if anything was wrong but he just said that he was feeling a little horse....

tinysurprised
I order to save history we must shoot all polar bears NOW  minusculebiggrin

Quote:Polar bear grabs 50,000-year-old breakfast - a hairy leg of woolly mammoth found by scientists

By The Siberian Times reporter
16 August 2018
Shots fired at island campsite to scare away beast which then drops ancient limb preserved in permafrost since prehistoric times.
[Image: information_items_7465.jpg]
A picture shows the small beast still in its grave - in an inaccessible tidal area on the Arctic island. Picture: Evgeny Basov
The polar bear raided a camp site of scientists on Kotelny island where scientists had gathered a front leg of a unique ‘pygmy mammoth’ as well as the northern-most skull of a woolly rhinoceros ever found and other bones from extinct predators. 
Mammoth expert Dr Albert Protopopov said: 'At about 4 am our research fellow Semyon Yakovlev woke from some kind of noise. I looked out of the tent, and there was a polar bear.
[Image: inside_leg.jpg]
The beast dropped the leg - perhaps the most significant mammoth trophy of the summer scientific season. Picture: Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Sakha
‘It grabbed the mammoth's leg with his teeth, and dragged it out of the permafrost (where scientists had stored their find). Semyon shouted, and we jumped up. 
‘We began to make noise, rattled utensils, shouted, shot several times from the flare gun. And finally the bear ran away.' 
The beast dropped the leg - perhaps the most significant mammoth trophy of the summer scientific season.
It is hoped analysis of the limb will prove the existence of a separate species of pygmy or mini-mammoths.
[Image: inside_protopopov.jpg]

[Image: standard_mammoth.jpg]

[Image: inside_shore.jpg]
'The full mammoth cannot be excavated in the summer, as it is in the tidal zone.’ Picture: Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Sakha
The team with Dr Protopopov had collected the front leg and shoulder blade of the small mammoth, found in a total area on the island - as reported earlier this week by The Siberian Times. 
The bulk of the well-preserved frozen beast, reportedly 22,000 to 50,000 years old, will be excavated from the seabed permafrost in May next year, it is expected. 
The leg and shoulder will be shipped along with other relics gathered on this summer’s expedition to Yakutsk via the Lena River. 
'The full mammoth cannot be excavated in the summer, as it is in the tidal zone,’ he said.
[Image: inside_protopopov_2.jpg]
Mammoth expert Dr Albert Protopopov speaking at the press-conference. Picture: YakutiaMedia
‘Now, when everything thawed, the remains are covered with a layer of mud. Excavations will be possible when it is frozen.’
The creature has been named ‘Golden Mammoth’ because of the colouring of its preserved hairs.
'When we took a clump of hair, washed it, we saw how it began to shine gold, a very beautiful sight. The members of our expedition are still impressed. 
‘It's not grey, as usual (with mammoths). 
‘It is the first time we have seen such a beauty.'
There were also collected the shoulder blade of mini-mammoth and the bones of large mammoths on Kotelny island. Pictures: KP, Ulus Media

[Image: inside_mammoth_bones_1.jpg]

[Image: inside_mammoth_bones_2.jpg]

[Image: inside_find.jpg]
@"Wallfire"  YES! A big Juicy Medium Well Done Polar Bear RibEye Steak!  smallgreenhurray smallgreenklatsch minusculebeercheers Hell Yes!!!
And A Nice Rug Too!  tinybiggrin
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
A new species of pygmy mammoth? I presume it is a different species from the pygmy mammoths know to have survived on Wrangel island until about 4000 years ago. That's right - when the pyramids were already old and cuneiform was already a long-established medium of communication in Mesopotamia, mammoths still roamed the earth on Wrangel Island! Cute, cuddly pygmy mammoths.

And I beg to differ with the assessment that mammoth hair was "gray" - it was usually auburn, a sort of reddish-brown. Yellow hair was not unknown among them, but if this species was predominantly yellow, then that will be something new.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-19-2018, 06:49 AM)Ninurta Wrote: A new species of pygmy mammoth? I presume it is a different species from the pygmy mammoths know to have survived on Wrangel island until about 4000 years ago. That's right - when the pyramids were already old and cuneiform was already a long-established medium of communication in Mesopotamia, mammoths still roamed the earth on Wrangel Island! Cute, cuddly pygmy mammoths.

And I beg to differ with the assessment that mammoth hair was "gray" - it was usually auburn, a sort of reddish-brown. Yellow hair was not unknown among them, but if this species was predominantly yellow, then that will be something new.

Jaysus Nin!!!!
I didn't think that you were THAT old!!
tinylaughing
(08-19-2018, 09:29 AM)gordi Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 06:49 AM)Ninurta Wrote: A new species of pygmy mammoth? I presume it is a different species from the pygmy mammoths know to have survived on Wrangel island until about 4000 years ago. That's right - when the pyramids were already old and cuneiform was already a long-established medium of communication in Mesopotamia, mammoths still roamed the earth on Wrangel Island! Cute, cuddly pygmy mammoths.

Jaysus Nin!!!!
I didn't think that you were THAT old!!
tinylaughing

I've held up well for my age - would you like to know the secret, long forgotten recipe for heather meade?
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-15-2018, 09:22 AM)gordi Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:00 PM)guohua Wrote: This is interesting, yes, they Blamed the Russians for cutting down to many trees in the area.

Indeed!

Did you notice the shape of the one kilometre "megaslump" that it was found in?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4322]

It looks like a giant trilobite or something!! LOL
tinybiggrin

....or something indeed. 

Just imagine that 'something' under a microscope.

But I'll be nice, and keep my opinions to myself. (((snickers)))     
tinywondering

a.k.a. 'snarky412'