Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The mysterious village where girls turn into boys
Quote:The mysterious village where girls turn into boys

By Justin Wm. Moyer September 22, 2015 Email the author  

It sounds like the plot of a “Twilight Zone” episode, an Ursula K. Le Guin story, or the Pulitzer Prize winning 2002 novel “Middlesex”: There’s a place where, when girls hit puberty, they turn into boys. Such a plot would prove rich territory — or a landmine — for anyone interested in how gender and sexuality develop.
“Think of the scientific possibilities!” Slate wrote in 1997. “Finally, we could tease apart nature and nurture and see whether men and women differed because of how they were brought up as children.”
Yet, this place — Salinas, a small village in the Dominican Republic — actually exists. And though scientists have been aware of the genetic mutation that causes this curious condition for decades, the little-known, but extensively documented, story is the subject of a new BBC piece called “The Extraordinary Story of the Guevedoces.”
The translation of “guevedoce”: “penis at 12.”
“I never liked to dress as a girl and when they bought me toys for girls I never bothered playing with them,” Johnny, formerly Felicita, told the BBC. “When I saw a group of boys I would stop to play ball with them.”

Johnny is not alone. As first observed by a Cornell University researcher in the 1970s, one in about 90 children in and around Salinas are affected by the mutation, which leads to low levels of an enzyme called 5-α-reductase that typically spurs growth of the penis in utero. In guevedoces, this growth is delayed until puberty. And, after their transformation, many of the newly minted boys prove heterosexual.
“So the boys, despite having an XY chromosome, appear female when they are born,” the BBC explained. “At puberty, like other boys, they get a second surge of testosterone. This time the body does respond and they sprout muscles, testes and a penis.”
Some guevedoces are tormented — called “nasty things, bad words,” as one told the BBC.
“When she turned five I noticed that whenever she saw one of her male friends she wanted to fight with him,” the mother of Carla — “on the brink of changing into Carlos” at 7, as the BBC put it — said. “Her muscles and chest began growing. You could see she was going to be a boy.”

Though the case of the guevedoces, for some researchers, showed that nature is more important than nurture in directing sexuality, an American pharmaceutical company by the name of Merck took the research to an unexpected place. Guevedoces generally have small prostates. If 5-α-reductase could be blocked by a drug, could prostate growth in adult men be inhibited?
Yes, Merck decided. The company developed the drug finasteride, more commonly known as Propecia, now used to treat male pattern baldness and benign prostate growth.
Some men reported the drug had strange effects on their sex drive.
“I’d be with a sexy woman, and there was just no interest at all on my part,” one patient said in 2011. “If anything, it was almost like I felt mild repulsion.”
But the guevedoces were not just of interest to Big Pharma. In a 1998 report, the Hastings Center, devoted to ethical issues in medicine, discussed how the very concept of a third sex had changed the vocabulary and mindset of Salinas when it comes to gender.

“The sexually ambiguous child is born not into a world divided up into male and female, but into a world divided into male, female, and guevedoce,” the report read. “Different concepts, different facts of nature.”
“I love her however she is,” Carla’s mother told the BBC. “Girl or boy, it makes no difference.”
More from Morning Mix
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn...into-boys/
An interesting article and another classic case of the evolution of a story to further a desired narrative.
The Washington Post picked it up -like many other outlets because of it's unusual flavour and in some cases, used it to
'prove' a belief structure that caters for a minority and of course, benefits their ratings.

The original report came from the BBC and was used to set-up a connected article from a magazine show broadcasted
on the BBC's sister-channel BBC2.

'The Victoria Derbyshire Show' is one of those programmes that swims in the waters of debate, suggested-fact rationale
and cajoling progessive persuasion. It plays heavily on feelings and thought-provoking pity for a chosen topic through the
use of solomn musical background music, directed commentary and vulnerable people in troubled situations.

In the case of the Las Salinas report, very little is offered to explain the 5α-reductase deficiency and just like one of 727Sky's
golf shots, gets the ball onto the green ready for the putter! The stand-alone issue of a small amount of children branded 'the
guevedoces' is interesting in itself, but the real goal was another article called 'The Story Of Two Transgender Children'

It takes place in the UK, nowhere near the Dominican Republic and has no characters from the the island in question.
The article cannot link -by the deficiency or the 'carrier' of the cause to this story, but it's a Trojan horse to get their fictive and
shrewd message to anyone perusing the BBC News website.

From a story of a physical abnormality, the publicly-paid-for Broadcaster moves to a heavily-edited piece of two male children
who allegedly play like girls. They do not have the genital defect and there's no evidence of a 5α-deficiency. But The Victoria
Derbyshire Show doesn't care about that.

The web-page initially offers this:
'...The number of children aged 10 and under who have been referred to NHS [National Health Service]
support services to help deal with transgender feelings has more than quadrupled in the last six years,
the Victoria Derbyshire programme has learned.

Here is the story of two of the youngest transgender children in the UK -with permission from their parents
and with the support of the children's schools...'

A factual-looking statement to impress the reader that official groups are aware of the situation and therefore, the subject has
merit. True, but when when dealing with an undeveloped personality and self-awareness, are we to undertsand that  just like the
kids in Las Salinas, transgenderism is an abnormality?!

No and the this misleading programme knows it. It's about feelings and I'd wager if four children in the UK wanted spend their
lives as umbrellas or a piece of chipboard, a report would be offered in the same comical manner Loch Ness sighting are reported!
But not this one... this one caters to something the Diversity Gang of the BBC have investment in, they believe in it.

So just like an emotionally charged crime-report in a documentary, the article continues with:
'...Lily and Jessica, not their real names, bound into the room full of energy, giggling and chattering away
as they carry bags full of toys.

The two friends, six and eight, are clearly delighted to be in each other's company as they empty their stuff
on to the floor -dozens of Hello Kitty cuddly toys and Monster High mannequins. Both girls are keen to reveal
the names of the dolls (Zoo-Keeper Kitty, Disco Kitty) and which of the toys they admire the most.

So far, so ordinary. A scene replicated up and down the country every time two girls get together for a play date...'

It's entertainment with the use of emotions. Two children who know nothing of the world around them are living in a imagined one.
A real physical situation on one island has evolved into a mental belief on another one and because of the latest youthful 'haut
monde' trend of fighting Trump's minions from their bedroom, The Victoria Derbyshire Show uses it to help their failing ratings.

This biased programme offers designed evidence and delivers a verdict that a viewer or reader must align with.
To not do so implies you're a Trumpster who doesn't care for the poor children who are... -cue violins and you get the idea.

It's tacky and it's misleading. For some of the media, it's a sugar-tasting irritating filler that's a stand-alone article.
For the BBC, it was a designed link to be nice to the blue-haired youngsters who haven't figured out who they are yet.

But Victoria Debyshire is hoping that at the very least, you'll watch her show.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I remember many years ago I helped look after my friends child. Many happy hours we all spent playing with toys and talking about dreams. This 5 year old wanted to be a train driver, now many many years later he has a Phd. 
The wonderful thing about childhood is to dream of what you want to be, and to be able to change the dreams as you grow older. What the left wants is to force a child to have only the dream that suits there agenda and destroy all other dreams.
I think that no child under 18 should be given gender change just because they "feel like it", or because its PC.