Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DNA hunt for Loch Ness
Yes here we go,,,, put this time they'll be looking at discarded DNA markers left behind from the occupants of Loch Ness.
That will be explained in the article.

So,,,,, What do you think, is or was the Loch Ness Monster real?   
Quote:Scientists plan DNA hunt for Loch Ness monster next month
Yes, DNA,,,,,,, interesting isn't it.
if Gordi and his Family Clan ever swan in the Loch, They may find his DNA still floating around,,,,,,,,, Scary isn't it! 
Quote:A global team of scientists plans to scour the icy depths of Loch Ness next month using environmental DNA (eDNA) in an experiment that may discover whether Scotland’s fabled monster really does, or did, exist.

The use of eDNA sampling is already well established as a tool for monitoring marine life like whales and sharks.

Whenever a creature moves through its environment, it leaves behind tiny fragments of DNA from skin, scales, feathers, fur, faeces and urine.
“This DNA can be captured, sequenced and then used to identify that creature by comparing the sequence obtained to large databases of known genetic sequences from hundreds of thousands of different organisms,” 
Thousand of Organisms  tinywhat

Quote:The first written record of a monster relates to the Irish monk St Columba, who is said to have banished a “water beast” to the depths of the River Ness in the 6th century.

The most famous picture of Nessie, known as the “surgeon’s photo”, was taken in 1934 and showed a head on a long neck emerging from the water.
It was revealed 60 years later to have been a hoax that used a sea monster model attached to a toy submarine.

Countless unsuccessful attempts to track down the monster have been made in the years since, notably in 2003 when the BBC funded an extensive scientific search that used 600 sonar beams and satellite tracking to sweep the full length of the loch.

The most recent attempt was two years ago when a high-tech marine drone found a monster - but not the one it was looking for. The discovery turned out to be replica used in the 1970 film “The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes”, which sank nearly 50 years ago.
I think that we watched that BBC search.

Quote:“While the prospect of looking for evidence of the Loch Ness monster is the hook to this project, there is an extraordinary amount of new knowledge that we will gain from the work about organisms that inhabit Loch Ness,” Gemmell said on his university website.

He predicts they will document new species of life, particularly bacteria, and will provide important data on the extent of several new invasive species recently seen in the loch, such as Pacific pink salmon.

Their findings are expected to be presented in January 2019. 
Source
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
So basally they are looking for Nessies crap. 
I hope they never find Nessie, for if they do someone will want to kill and stuff it.
I for one think he/she should be free to swim without us hunting it.
I think the late Robert Rines brought some valuable evidence to show Nessie was more than just
a story to scare the 'bairns' from the deep loch.

Granted, some enhancement was done by computer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California
to bring out what was in the legendary flipper photo, but there's something there that is aquatically
-beneficial to an animal living underwater.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3803]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=3804]
Original.

Along with the 'body' image, can it be that it was coincidental that Rines' equipment picked up several
images that look like what eye-witnesses have seen?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3805]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
The real reasons that my DNA got into that Loch in the first place are between me and Morag The Sheep, and she promised never to say a word...
So, if it does happen to turn up in the survey.... I'll say that I used to wash my undergarments in one of the many streams that feed into the Loch..... no, hang on... that won't work.... there's nae undergarments worn wi' the kilt!
I'd better phone my lawyer or a good veterinarian.

tinyhuh
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(05-23-2018, 09:49 PM)gordi Wrote: The real reasons that my DNA got into that Loch in the first place are between me and Morag The Sheep, and she promised never to say a word...
So, if it does happen to turn up in the survey.... I'll say that I used to wash my undergarments in one of the many streams that feed into the Loch..... no, hang on... that won't work.... there's nae undergarments worn wi' the kilt!
I'd better phone my lawyer or a good veterinarian.

tinyhuh

A Layer would be the best call,,,,,,,  tinylaughing
(05-23-2018, 09:49 PM)gordi Wrote: The real reasons that my DNA got into that Loch in the first place are between me and Morag The Sheep...

tinywhat  The two-timing trollop!
(05-23-2018, 09:57 PM)BIAD Wrote: tinywhat  The two-timing trollop!

Noooooo!!! Not Ewe too?

tinylaughing
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
This latest article regarding DNA in Loch Ness isn't really the whole story.

The true research of Professor Neil Gemmell will improve past investigations on what has existed and what is currently
living in the largest body of water in the UK. Only Loch Morar is deeper than Ness and sure enough, there's a monster
legend attached to that 1,017 feet-deep lake.

It's coming up on the right time of the year for Journalists to drag out the Silly Season' and offer vague reports
that have little to do with actual living unidentified creatures and this perception keeps such intriguing phenomena
in realms of the woo and the ridiculous.

This BBC article shows again, the lack of serious Journalistic integrity that's disgarded for the sake of a silly headline.
'...The team will collect tiny fragments of skin and scales for two weeks in June...'
Link:

Scales and skin from what...?! The already identified creatures in Loch Ness, of course. But the research will further
our understanding of what makes up the complex environment of the loch and assist to explain what is causing so many
accounts of a large multi-humped animal to be observed.

But what the esteemed BBC and all the other so-called established media didn't tell you -and this harks to my comment
of the 'silly season', is this from 2017.

Quote:03/04/2017
Kiwi dives into new hunt for Loch Ness monster.
'The 500-year-old mystery of the Loch Ness Monster could be solved by a Kiwi living in New Zealand's Edinburgh of the South.
Otago University Professor Neil Gemmell plans to use DNA to try and solve the myth once and for all.

"I like the idea that there might be something there that we don't know. And I'd be keen to see if we can explore it further to put
this to bed once and for all," he said. Sightings of the mythical creature named "Nessie" first began in the 1930s, with many
believing they've seen the small town's most famous resident.

Now Prof Gemmell has a simple plan - to test a few litres of the Loch's water searching for any "unusual" traces of DNA.
"What we'll be looking for is any DNA samples that look unusual to loch ness or unique to Loch Ness versus other Lochs,"
he said. Thousands flock to the small Scottish township each year hunting for the enormous creature.

And the legend that captivates so many people is likely to live on forever.
"I've got to say, I suspect if I find no evidence of the monster that won't stop people seeing it and it won't stop people believing
in it," Prof Gemmell said. He says DNA belonging to a large cat fish, up to four metres in length, could unlock the mystery.
"That might explain more of the common sightings in Loch Ness and that may explain many of the more common sightings that
have been reported."...'
SOURCE:

Never trust the bastards, it's really about dealing with the northern hemisphere current holiday/vacation periods in the
media world and the only good thing about it is it's punctuality.

Loch Ness is fascinating -even without the fabled monster. It's a massive amount of water that can hold it's own
eco-system. The lake cannot freeze due to the volume of water being able to maintain it's many different temperatures
and it's this strata of climate that can create the many strange effects affiliated with the legend.

Reactions between mid-level depth temperatures and the surface can be so violent that radar from vessels in the loch
have actually registered a physical-style presence.

The wave actions also have a bearing on confusing a viewer to the loch. A boat travelling down the loch can be well away
from a location when the waves caused by the boat's wake have parted, hit the respective shores and then returned to
their original place. This meeting of the wake creates -what seems, a line of raised water that to an observer on the shore
might think is a moving object following the same passage of the long-gone boat.

The creatures that live in and around the 23 mile-long expanse of Loch Ness can be possible suspects of what comprises
of the famous 'Nessie'. Eels pike, and other large fish can make effects on the surface when it's calm and otters and the
occasional inquisitive seal can also fool a novice researcher. There's even reports of a sturgeon being in the loch.

It's also been reported that deer sometimes attempt to cross the peaty waters and from a distance, could be perceived as
a long-necked beast from the depths of the Great Glen Fault. Debris from the surrounding wooded areas that can be washed
down in the many tributaries could give rise to reports of a curious underwater animal surveying it's surroundings.

That's the excepted rational out of the way!

During Robert Rines' 1972  Academy of Applied Science expedition, sonar beams were placed across the loch to possibly
pick up passage the purported creature. Listening equipment were also set-up and at night, strange clickings were heard.
When the kit was approached by Rines' crew -to check the bouys hadn't become entangled and causing the rhythmic sounds,
the clicking would recede and then return when the boat got back to shore.
Eels do sometimes make a 'quarking'-style squeak, but the recorded sounds from Loch Ness were never identified.

The sonar beams picked up large moving objects at the same time shoals of fish were taking evasive action and only twenty
feet away from a situated strobe camera and at a depth of forty-five feet, the famous 'flipper' photograph was captured.
The British Natural History Museum, while acknowledging that the photograph were genuine found that 'the sequence appears
to show the passage of a large object'.

The sonar chart which recorded the passage of the objects was subsequently analysed by several independent experts,
whose composite verdict found that there are large animals in Loch Ness which are at least 20 to 30ft long with 'several
segments, body sections or projections such as humps'.

These findings -along with other more up-to-date scientific investigations, will expand our knowledge of what is really down there.
@"BIAD"  Thank You for your article and your knowledge.
@BIAD That was supper interesting, thanks for taking the time to write it  minusculebeercheers
(05-24-2018, 01:53 PM)guohua Wrote: @"BIAD"  Thank You for your article and your knowledge.
Oh, it's an interest  of mine. I know that the beastie waits just beneath the water and it's waiting for me!

I can swim in the sea, ponds and rivers... but there? No way!!
(05-23-2018, 09:49 PM)BIAD Wrote: Original.

Along with the 'body' image, can it be that it was coincidental that Rines' equipment picked up several

Well, it looks like Nessie to me!   tinybighuh   That's a really good capture.
(05-24-2018, 03:08 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 09:49 PM)BIAD Wrote: Original.

Well, it looks like Nessie to me!   tinybighuh   That's a really good capture.
I have to agree with you.

Now I have a very interesting article with video from a NOVA program.

Quote:Sound Waves Underwater: The Loch Ness Monster

Because sound waves travel longer distances through liquids than do light waves, measuring devices use sound to determine depth and locate underwater objects. In this video segment, adapted from NOVA, sonar's strengths and limitations are on display as a team of enthusiasts and scientists attempt to find a mythical monster.
See the video with this article here: Source  
It would appear they did find a large moving abject.
(05-24-2018, 08:46 PM)guohua Wrote: ...See the video with this article here: Source  
It would appear they did find a large moving abject.

Yeah, I think Rines was there on the boat in the video.

It seems that whatever is swimming in the loch tends to keep to mid-water depth and of course, keeps moving.
Research at Loch Ness and Loch Morar shows that most fish (Char and Brown Trout) are found in the thirty-metre
-depth area with Ferox Trout and Salmon just beneath that level.
This would align the Monster as a fish hunter.

The humps -unless they're collapsible air-sacs, would prove to be too-much drag on an aquatic animal that is a
predator of fish. If it hunts fish, that is. It's been suggested that the flipper that s believed to be part of the anatomy
of the Loch Ness Monster would be a poor propulsion limb and could only assist in that area if the image is actually
the creature's tail.
Although two or four of the diamond-shaped extremities could be used as rudders.

The scientific struggle -along with the problem of not being able to re-test any findings in a stationary location,
is that we look on such a large creature needing to be an air-breather. If the Loch Ness Monster does have lungs,
it could be argued that it's dietary habits would be more flexible and seek food on land.
However, there's scant evidence from past sightings and no accounts of the creature on shore in a long time.

Taking in air in a mammalian manner brings other problems regarding birthing and rearing young, which would
also increase sightings on both land and water. Although being a proto-mammal isn't out of the question, it doesn't
help any current theories of what the monster is.

There's also the dilemma of what is observed on the surface of the water. The act of holding the neck in proportion
to the assumed submerged body, doesn't make sense in terms of streamline and the generally accepted notion that
a Plesiosaur-like creature's head was kept horizontally in front of the body.

So we're stuck with a animal that doesn't seem to breathe air on the water's surface, has cumbersome undulated or
segmented humps and a neck positioned in the wrong place. The flippers are only for direction and we can only assume
it propels itself through the water with a nondescript tail.

Reports are always the same or similar, a dinosaur-like beast that avoids the surface as much as possible.

A neutral would say such a creature couldn't survive and certainly not in a captured body of water like the loch.
So what are eye-witnesses seeing?
@"BIAD" 
The Humps,,,, I have an idea.
There  are really No Clear pictures of Old Nesses, those humps could be Dorsal Fins.
If not used the dorsal fins could relax at the surface of the water or even flop over to one side.

Then there are the Dorsal Fins of the Atlantic Cod. Those fins appear to be laying on their backs in watch could look like Humps from a distance, Yes?
[Image: 3157531.large.jpg] [Image: web_234959_21320.jpg] [Image: big-merluzzo.jpeg] JMHO
(05-24-2018, 11:44 PM)guohua Wrote: @"BIAD" 
The Humps,,,, I have an idea.
There  are really No Clear pictures of Old Nesses, those humps could be Dorsal Fins.
If not used the dorsal fins could relax at the surface of the water or even flop over to one side...

It's not a bad idea, dorsal fins are used to stabilise the swimming body and prevent rolling.
Such a fin would be of little use when exposed at the surface and as you've said, the images of the
Loch Ness Monster show little towards disproving the suggestion.
And to prove the problem of discovering genuine material to assist in this mystery, here's a mainstream
article that once more, keeps the Loch Ness Monster subject in the silly column.

Quote:Loch Ness monster ‘found’: Photo shows mysterious creature stalking Scottish village.

'A photo taken in the west Stirlingshire village of Killearn shows a strange looking creature with a distinctive long
neck roaming through a field. Jimmy Wright, 66, who snapped the odd sight while walking his son’s dog said he
has been overwhelmed by the response after he put the pic on Facebook.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3809]

"I put it on Facebook - but I was taken aback at just how much response it received. It definitely has people talking,”
he told the Observer.

"When I came towards it," said Jimmy, who retired as an NHS general manager for mental health services in Glasgow
in 2006, "I was struck by how prolific it was and took a picture.
"I thought it looked like a dinosaur. I have been up that way before but the sight was definitely unexpected.
"I put it on the Killearn For All Facebook page and the comments began.”

Theories so far have included calling it part tortoise, part stoat, among various other creatures, the Daily Record reports.
One local resident Mary Young said: "We could reinvent Killearn on the strength of this wonderful sight, save the Black Bull
and re-open the Spar as a Killearn Nessie Gift Shop.”...'
The Star:

Killearn is a two and a half hour drive from Fort William, the southern end of the loch and around ninety-six miles away.
It's closer to Edinburgh than Loch Ness!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3810]

It does little but mock the Nessie legend.

[Image: egy73Qeo0kB90A0foM_8QqAtoRT5nk6ne3gOtOiI...WFzgg=s128] WOW, that is Interesting,,,,,
(05-25-2018, 01:50 PM)guohua Wrote: WOW, that is Interesting,,,,,

Not really, Boss!

You see, it's the usual Fake News that Trump hints at that creates the stir and rarely admits later
it was just an empty truth.

It's a year old and falls right into the time when news-outlets wheel out their Bigfoot yarns and Nessie
sightings for staff-shortage reason and some condescending notion that sunny weather somehow makes
customers more gullible.

It's always the same format. Patterson & Gymlin -Bigfoot, St. Columba -Nessie and Betty & Barney
Hill -Ufos.

If there are any Journalists out there reading this, I will offer some advice.
Sell your lazy stories as a laxative, because it annoys the sh*t out me and many others when you play
this stupid game.

Quote:Villagers head to the hills for another meeting with 'mystery creature' which became viral hit.

'The "Nessie-like" image set the internet ablaze after featuring in the Stirling Observer last month
-and its true identity has been revealed.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3815]

Intrepid villagers headed to the hills around Killearn this week for another meeting with the ‘creature’
which turned the tiny Stirlingshire village into a global phenomenon.

Jimmy Wright’s chance photo of an intriguing image while out dogwalking in the Crow Hill area, known
locally as the “cow field”, set the internet ablaze – despite the reality that it was merely a misshapen tree
trunk!

The “Nessie-like” image featured in the Stirling Observer after Jimmy posted it on a villagers’ Facebook site.

While it was obvious to locals that the “monster” was in fact an old tree stump, those further afield and not in
the know soon began speculating and Killearn began receiving unprecedented media attention, featuring in
UK national newspapers, and in media across the world.

As well as YouTubers making films dedicated to the “beast”, TV companies as far afield as Taiwan were
scrambling to speculate on the photograph. One expert from England even claimed he was sure it was a Monitor
Lizard and warned the public not to approach it.

This week Jimmy (66) made good on a pledge to donate £100 to the charity of choice of the local who came up
with the most “liked” name for the monster. Young Matthew Whitson came up with the highly appropriate moniker
“Branchiosaurus Rex”.

He was joined at the site by another creature not exactly native to the area –Lewis the Lion –who was there on behalf
of the Seven Sisters Zoo, Matthew’s chosen charity and recipient of Jimmy’s £100.

Jimmy, who also presented Matthew with a certificate to commemorate his naming success, said the whole “monster”
experience had been overwhelming. He said: “I have enjoyed it immensely. I never dreamed that what had started off
as a bit of local fun would generate such global interest. I am still recovering from the impact.”

Villager Mary Young meanwhile, who had originally suggested the naming competition, is hoping all those who have
read about the Killearn phenomenon or logged on to see Jimmy’s photo will now have more than a passing interest
in visiting Killearn or at least getting to know more about it.

She said: “I will be launching a facebook page ‘Branchiosaurus Rex; Killearn Nessie’, primarily for all the people round
the world who wanted to join in the fun, and to learn more about our village’.”
Annie Galbraith, one of the trustees for the Five Sisters Zoo Rescue and Conservation SCIO said: “The charity are
delighted to receive this donation.

“We rely on the support of local communities and donations of this type are very much appreciated.”...'
The Daily Record:

Quote:'The "Nessie-like" image set the internet ablaze after featuring in the Stirling Observer last month

-and its true identity has been revealed.

This is going to upset so many people who were hopeful that Nessie was real.   tinycrying

Whatever will they do with their time spent looking for the monster now?
Big Grin 
I seem to remember that classic Dr Who told a story about how the lock Ness monster got there, some thing about it been an alien monster controlled by aliens. I will just have to start checking my old Dr Whos but I seem to remember it was a good episode.
Anyway the old tree stump was a good PR stunt  minusculebiggrin