Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What About Dragons?
Pictures of Dragons can be found from just about all Cultures.
These cultures didn't have contact with each other, but they had stories of dragons.

Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
If you watch the first video you will see that they extract hydrogen gas from a gas blader that is 100s-1000s-1000000s of years old. Not going to happen.
Its a nice film but thats all it is, a nice film. But it does have some interesting info in it and I did enjoy watching it, would never of found it by myself, so thanks for posting as I love reading stuff like this.  minusculebiggrin
What intrigues me is the way that different parts the world perceives this mythical beast.
In China, the Dragon is generally seen in the positive and with it's deity-like lifestyle, can give
good fortune and  they're seen as part of the control to many aspects of the universe.

In the rest of the world that have legends of these massive creatures, they tend to be more
involved in conflict with man and often depicted as an oppressive evil force.

Knights saving fair-maidens by slaying dragons, highly-regarded men of virtue tricking the
cunning monster and youthful innocence falling foul to a biased contract. All signals of wisdom
that puts the blame on a malevolent flying reptile and the defence of classic moral standards at
the feet of the human.

In folklore, the dragon is a thinking entity bound in the physical form of the archetypal monster.
With the shrewdness of age, it can play the parts of both good and evil.

To some, it represents both the masculine and maternal conduct that rational humanity sometimes
struggles to understand. The lesson of complex plans to bring advantage to others needs to be
understood and within the many tales of Dragons, it's assumed we learn them.

Even though Dragons are sensed as solitary, the old myths imply the serpent is fully aware -through
interaction, that mankind can twist either way in the quest to gain.
Gods have a tendency to know this!

To others it's the antithetical, a scale-clashing deceitful monster that roams the dark.
A brute of bad that should be killed in the name of goodness and chivalry.
Basically, the Dragon became the pinata for a certain religion.

It's odd that humanity has never portrayed the Dragon as just stupid, an ignorant animal without
self-awareness or pity.

Legends tell us Dragons teach wisdom and prudence. Through it's guidance, we can acquire wealth
and power. But if we misuse this gift, a Dragon can take it all back and leave one looking foolish.

A Dragon is also the devil, the serpent that beguiles and leads man from the path. Whether sitting
on a mountain of coveted gold or soaring across the heavens devouring clouds with it's flaming breath,
Dragons represent something that we all can identify.

With intelligence comes temptation and only with fortitude of good faith, can we slay those darker
thoughts we all carry.
Maybe the Dragon is us -with all our faults and wants?
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I wrote this about 35 years ago, so I hope people enjoy it. PS forgive spelling mistakes, this is just how I wrote it.

A long time ago there lived two races on this earth. One was dragons,
the other humans.
Dragons were massive powerful creatures filled with knowage,
understanding and wisdom. They knew of humans but let them alone, never
hurting or helping.
The dragons would gather, talking of great things, gaining more
understanding, they could understand that a colour has too many shades
to understand, they even understood that the shape of a leaf is defined
by what is around it not by the leaf.Every now and then a dragon would
fly high into the air on some quest the humans could only hope to
understand.
Then one day some men begain to approch the meeting place of the
dragons, as they did so the dragons would speak the launage of the
humans.
The humans would sit at a distance trying to comprehend what was been
said, each day the men would return and sit a little closer to the
dragons , and so this went on for many months.
Each day the men understood more and more, then came the day when the
men understood that they do not understand. This day one of the men
stood up and called to the dragons "teach us"
One of the dragons turned to the men and after a wile said " we will not
teach you but you are free to learn"
So the men joined the dragons.
From day to day the men learned more and more, the dragons were wise and
let the men find things themselfs.
Soon the men begain to understand honour, caring and from this knowage
came a third thing, wisdom.
The men returned home were they begain to help other humans, soon the
men had shining armor made for them, and rode on great horses and call
themselfs Knights.
Were ever they went they brough piece and justice, soon the land became
safe and prosperous place.
The people give prase to the Knights, give glory to them and even begain
to worship them.
As the years passed a darkness begain to cover the Knights, they begain
to belive that they alone had rased themselfs to this high place were
people worshiped them.
" How could could such ugly and strange creatures as dragons given us
anything, no we did it ourselfs, we did it on our own".
But inside this darkness there was a small flicker of light and this
light was called "truth"
To people who live in darkness even the smallest of this light can cause
great pain, so the Knights begain to plain how they would kill the
dragons.
So came the night when the Knights rode out to a small village were they
killed every man, woman and child, every thing that lived, not just
killing it but ripping it apart and burning everything to the ground.
Each night for a week they did this to a diffrent Village.
Soon the people came crying for help to the Knights, the Knights
decleared that no human could do such things to other humans, only vile
creatures as dragons could do it, and they swore to the people that they
would kill every dragon on earth, and the world would be free of these
monsters.
But only us Knights have the stranght to fight the dragons so you people
must stay behind were it is safe.
So the Knights begain to kill the dragon in places were people never
went, for the years the Knights had spent with the dragons they had
learnt that a dragon would never take a human life not even to save its
own.
Soon there was only one dragon left, but as the Knight charged the
dragon knocked him off his hourse. As the Knight lay on the ground the
dragon placed its massive paw on the Knight and lowered it head close to
the man and said
"You have a darkness in you,I could warn you but you would not hear me,
I could kill you but another would take your place, you have had the
plant of wisdom but you killed it with the weed of human nature, you do
not understand what I say becouse you do not want to, there is no voice
so loud that can make you, so I do the only thing I can, I die
@"Wallfire"  I wish that we had our "Rogue's Writers Contest" still active.

You'd make a Great Contestant.

@"BIAD"  Dragons are Fantastic Beings, Yes the Chinese seen the Dragons as a Spirit of Nature, controlling Wind, Rain, Flood and the Moon.
A bringer of good Fortune or Death.

I agree, that so many cultures had stories of Dragons that it makes you think,,,,,,,, Were There Dragons!!??
(05-01-2018, 12:51 PM)Wallfire Wrote: I wrote this about 35 years ago, so I hope people enjoy it. PS forgive spelling mistakes, this is just how I wrote it....

Nice one Wallfire!
Strangely.... tying in nicely with one I wrote for a story contest on another site around 2015?

DARA GHORN!

In ancient times, early man battled the wild beasts for the very right to survive.
The age of the Mammals had arrived, but there remained - hidden deep in the underground caverns of this Earth - remnants of a previous bygone age.

A massive upheaval on the surface of this Earth had wiped out every living thing which could not flee deep into a cave for protection.
But slowly, over many many years, the chaos began to subside, and the survivors blinked meekly back into the light.

They were few in number at first, and with all of the damage and destruction of their world, they had lost most of their tools for survival.
Their societies were in ruins, their civilisation shattered. They had returned to "survival" mode, like an Artificial Intelligence Program being re-booted.
Their priorities were Water, Food, Shelter, & Protection and THAT was IT.
In order to move on, they would have to start over from scratch and learn it all again... but how?
They needed a figurehead to follow, a leader, a healer, a teacher... a God.

And that's where Dara Ghorn comes in.

Back in the day, Dara had been just like all the others.
Though tall in stature, brave as they come and smart as can be, he preferred living the quiet, natural life.
He had studied the Natural order of things, how everything is inter-connected and he knew all about energies and the need for balance in all things.

When the time came, Dara had sensed the approaching disaster and had shepherded his family far below ground with plenty of supplies to ride out the worst of the carnage.
And now, as the world settled into its new rhythm he had come forth to survey the wreck of the world that once was.

He saw how many of the creatures of old had been wiped from the Earth, and he wept for them.
And he saw Man, wandering aimlessly, struggling to survive. Scratching a meagre living from scraps of scorched and wasted land, and he resolved to help them.
If he could only bring them together, teach them how to work as one, and show them how to care for the others, maybe they would have a chance to survive and thrive in the future?

So, he talked to them. Brought them together in groups. Showed them how to build shelter. Gave them the gift of Fire and started to teach them.
He taught them about agriculture, he taught them about science, he taught them about love and about balance & harmony. He selflessly taught them everything that they might need.

But Man is a deep and dangerous thing, and some men grew jealous of Dara Ghorn's status within their midst. They muttered and whispered and cursed, then using the very knowledge that Dara had given them...
They drew their plans against him. They adapted their tools to make weapons and they rose up against this "Dara Ghorn"
"Who does he think he is?" they asked, "Telling us what to do and how to live all the time"
"Drive him OUT!!! KILL HIM!!! KILL HIM!!!"

Dara knew what had been brewing, for he was very wise. He had sent his family away to safety, but stayed himself with forlorn hope to try and reason with the mob.
Alas, it was to no avail, and they struck at him with sword, spear and arrow, their minds closed to his wisdom.

So Dara rose up, spread out his mighty wings, spouted a blast of firey breath out over the mob's heads as a warning shot, then with a few powerful flaps took off, circled once and departed towards the North, never to return again.

From that day forth, man told the story of this "Dara ghorn" and how they had battled with him, and cast him out.
Children were kept in line with the promise that the Mighty Draghorn!! would come and get them if they misbehaved.
And over the years, as so often happens, the stories became twisted and muddled. The battles were exaggerated, the beasts name was shortened to "Dragon", and his very mention sent shivers down the spines of man.

In an ironic way, Dara's attempts at helping man had actually worked;
After all, they did come together, and get strong and survive to eventually thrive.
It's just a shame that man's history has labelled him as a Beastly Dragon, instead of the teacher, the giver and the healer... "Dara Ghorn".

Of course they exist!
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
@"gordi" 
Excellent story, You and Wallfire and others need to think about restarting our writers contest, I do miss the stories.

Yes Dragons and Bigfoot existed and may still exist.
Here is a good video of Dragons caught on camera.
Many many years ago, in the summer of 1941, my dad swore that he saw the tracks of a "giant snake" several times in the dust and mud of old back roads and logging roads in central West Virginia. He said that the tracks left looked like someone had dragged a 14" stovepipe in a serpentine pattern. I've always been intrigued by that. The Shawnees of that area had legends of "giant horned snakes", which is a similar creature to the Cherokee Uktena. Several tribes in the area had similar stories, and in almost all of them the giant snakes were at constant war with the Thunder Birds. Even going back to the Mound Builders, there are amulets found that are engraved with giant horned snakes, some of them rattlesnakes, judging by the rattle on their tails.

I tend to think of them as an American version of the Great Orm.

I'm at work now, on lunch. I've done a bit of research on these giant snakes over the years, and was thinking of creating a thread on them, but posts in this thread will do just fine. I'll try to get more on the subject in here later this evening after I get home.

Fascinating subject to me.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(05-01-2018, 09:42 PM)guohua Wrote: @"gordi" 
Excellent story, You and Wallfire and others need to think about restarting our writers contest, I do miss the stories.

Yes Dragons and Bigfoot existed and may still exist.

Humans are such strange creatures, they read storys with there eyes not the soul. Eyes reads words, the soul searches for meanings.
Most people write words, and even more people only read with there eyes, very very few read with there soul and even less write using there soul.
When a person reads with there soul they find doors around them, each person has there own doors, they belong to you and its up to you if you wish to open them, what is behind each door also belongs only to you, it can never be shared.
In a world where self value is measured by how many people know what you have done and where you have been, where pain and sadness love and joy is once again measured by the amounts of "likes" from people who are unknown. The idea of having your own doors, doors that only you can open, and when opened what is there can never be shared but must be understood and carried by you alone. 
Humans have lost the concept of self, they see there self value by how many people know everything about them. The concept of finding ones self and building on it is a dead and lost art.
Let the words your eyes read be fed to your soul, the doors you find and what you do with them belongs only to you.
I would wish that all people who write storys here will have there storys understood by the readers souls.
Am I mad?? perhaps but its my madness  minusculebiggrin
(05-02-2018, 12:10 AM)Ninurta Wrote: ...I tend to think of them as an American version of the Great Orm...

And that in itself, is a fascinating situation.

It would be nice-and-neat to offer the idea that European tales were dragged across the Atlantic
and re-massaged into new 'beastie'' warning-stories. The wisdom of caution and the excitement
of dealing with a monster would guarantee the tale would endure for the young to learn to beware.

But the Uktena isn't one of ours...! the legend was already there!
So is this just a coincidental alignment of imagination of a creature that holds all of the primeval
fears of our ancestors (snake-like, big teeth and animal cunning)... or is it that such monsters really
did roam this planet and now are far-and-few between?

Mainstream science boasts that the monsters have all gone and things like the Komodo Dragon and
Megamouth sharks are just anomalies. The great worms of the Dark Ages were slain by European
knights and the New World's only killers were the feathered savages of the plains and the occasional
wolf.

At this point, I always use the account of the biologist, Patrick Russ who was hired by the Michigan
Department of Natural Resources to disprove that mountain lions were roaming Michigan's upper
-peninsula.

In 2000, he spent two days looking for sign to prove that hunters were wrong in their reporting of
the large cat and collecting his $5000, he assured the DNR that mountain lions didn't exist in that
part of Michigan. A belief they held until 2008, when the body of one of these beasts was brought in
as proof.

We don't know enough of this reality and how it works.
Orms, Uketnas, Champ and Nessie, there's something that isn't making sense with what we're told
to accept as 'normal'.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
During the show last night on Cosmic Disclosure, David Wilcock had Emery Smith back on as his guest.  Emery was talking about how the labs where he worked were doing experiments mixing DNA with all kinds of different creatures. He mentioned one creature that was a hybrid of something like a Pterodactyl and a human, and he showed a drawing of how it looked. 
I'm sure, if his stories are true, they have used DNA to clone dragons and no telling what all. 

As I've told before, I had a friend who swears he saw a dinosaur walk across a busy four-lane highway, only to fade and disappear as it crossed. All the traffic stopped as it crossed, so it wasn't just him seeing it.  Was it a bleed-through from a parallel universe, or a hologram?  We may never know.

Here is the show, free for 48 hours, if anyone wishes to watch.  Open your mind to the possibilities.

(05-02-2018, 03:17 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: During the show last night on Cosmic Disclosure, David Wilcock had Emery Smith back on as his guest.  Emery was talking about how the labs where he worked were doing experiments mixing DNA with all kinds of different creatures. He mentioned one creature that was a hybrid of something like a Pterodactyl and a human, and he showed a drawing of how it looked. 
I'm sure, if his stories are true, they have used DNA to clone dragons and no telling what all. 

As I've told before, I had a friend who swears he saw a dinosaur walk across a busy four-lane highway, only to fade and disappear as it crossed. All the traffic stopped as it crossed, so it wasn't just him seeing it.  Was it a bleed-through from a parallel universe, or a hologram?  We may never know.

Here is the show, free for 48 hours, if anyone wishes to watch.  Open your mind to the possibilities.

@"Mystic Wanderer"  I think the Dinosaur was a Time Slip or Dimensional Portal that opened for a minute.
I'm sure it happened, I think it happens a lot.
I don't know about mixing or splicing DNA together.