Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Will either of these optics do for a 338 win mag?
Hey all, I recently purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 338 win mag. Currently I own a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40 and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40. I have the Bushnell on my AR and the Nikon on my .30-06, but I have an extra scope laying around (centerpoint) that isnt as good of quality that I will probably just stick on my AR since it has the lowest recoil. Which of these two scopes, if either, do you think would be better to put on my new 338? The Nikon cost me a little more, but the Bushnell seems to be just as sturdy. I would prefer not to buy a new scope, but if neither of these will hold up to the recoil then I may just have to. Also, I have a 500 S&W magnum revolver that I am wanting to put a handgun scope on. Does anyone have any recommendations on an optic that could withstand the recoil but not break the bank? Thanks in advance for any help!
I'm not up on firearms discussions, but I'm sure some of our members can assist with advice.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
@"77celi" 

My husband uses the Bushnell Trophy Handgun Scope 2-6 X32 on two of his big bore revolvers. He said it will work for you and it can be found even on Ebay not too expensive.

The EoTech Holo and Leupold FX-II 4x28mm start at over $400. 
Depending on your how you want to use this weapon.

Good luck with your hunt.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(06-23-2021, 11:14 AM)77celi Wrote: Hey all, I recently purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 338 win mag. Currently I own a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40 and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40. I have the Bushnell on my AR and the Nikon on my .30-06, but I have an extra scope laying around (centerpoint) that isnt as good of quality that I will probably just stick on my AR since it has the lowest recoil. Which of these two scopes, if either, do you think would be better to put on my new 338? The Nikon cost me a little more, but the Bushnell seems to be just as sturdy. I would prefer not to buy a new scope, but if neither of these will hold up to the recoil then I may just have to. Also, I have a 500 S&W magnum revolver that I am wanting to put a handgun scope on. Does anyone have any recommendations on an optic that could withstand the recoil but not break the bank? Thanks in advance for any help!

here ya go, a link go to the 18th post, posta are numbered bottom right. guy says he's got the same rifle and Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40, has held up 30 yrs

Quote:I purchased a used Ruger M77 in .338 Winchester magnum back in the early 80s. It already had a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 mounted so I figured I'd keep that scope on there until it self destructed. It's been almost 30 years now and I'm still waiting. I don't use the rifle as much as I used to, but it still holds zero just fine and the optics are acceptable as long as you don't expect Zeiss or Leupold brightness and clarity..

Keep in mind that this old scope was made in Japan, not China and that probably has a lot to do with it's longevity.

Link:

Will a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 stand up to the kick of .300 win mag?
@"Ninurta" is the one who can probably help you, along with Mr. and Ms. G.  He usually covers the night shift here, so just hang on. He'll be around later.
I took the liberty of making an avatar you make like. If it's not to your liking, feel free to show your preferred art
and Boy In A Dress will incorporate it into a size-appropriate avatar.

minusculethumbsup

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9527]

The actual jpeg can be located here: Page 26
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I'm gonna say the Bushnell for the .338, and the Centerpoint on the AR if you want a scope on that gun. Scopes for AR's have traditionally been lower magnification with a concurrent larger sight picture for quicker target acquisition. The highest power scope I ever ran on an AR was 4X, and only had a 25mm objective. What I use on my AR now is just a red-dot, no magnification at all, with the iron sights co-sighted to the red dot in case it runs out of juice at an inopportune moment, which it has done to me once so far. I had to get a 1/2 inch riser bar to raise the red dot sight far enough to co-sight the iron sights, but it works for me.

Bushnell has been in the business a long time, and makes sturdy yet generally inexpensive scopes. I'm running a Bushnell 3x9 40mm scope on my .308 bolt gun right now, and have had no issues with it. Centerpoint makes scopes that look and feel solid, but they've not been around long enough for me to trust them on a high recoil weapon. I have a Centerpoint 3x9 Mil-Dot on a Ruger 10/22, and it has done well so far.  Folks point and laugh some times at the "high power rifle scope on a .22", but they can kiss my ass. It's my rifle, I'll run it as I please. If they don't like it, they don't have to shoot it.

So I'd put the Bushnell on it. Take it out to the range, crank it up to 9x to zero it, then drop back to a lower magnification and run a couple boxes of ammo through it, then crank it back up to 9x and pop a round out, to make sure it held zero through the recoil of the other shots, If it did, then it's good to go.

Take a tube of Ben Gay to the range with you. That recoil off a .338 magnum ain't no joke. You're likely to feel the recoil from a couple boxes of ammo for a couple days afterwards... but you'll know the scope holds a zero.

ETA: This is my Ruger 10/22 with the Centerpoint scope. It looks pretty "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century"-ish. but it's set to suit me. No .22 actually needs a flash suppressor - there just ain't really that much flash to begin with -  but my theory is that it's just there to protect the muzzle. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. The rest of the geegaws hanging off the scope - the laser and flashlight - are just there because I had extra "stuff", and a spare bracket, and nothing else to do with them, so I put 'em where they didn't need to be just to excite some conversation. As it turns out, they have proven actually useful when critters come banging around the homestead in the middle of the night, though... I can recall my Dear Old Dad going out in the night to shoot owls raiding the chicken coop holding a flashlight beside his shotgun barrel with his hand. Having one mounted to the weapon itself goes a step beyond that for convenience and target illumination. It puts the light spot right in the middle of the crosshairs, and you can't beat that with a stick.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9528]

The Magazine is a Pro-mag 32 round magazine with steel feed lips because a) I hate reloading, and b) plastic magazine lips are a non-starter for me. I've never had a plastic-lipped magazine feed worth a damn in that 10/22. it came clear, to be able to count rounds, but I shot a couple coats of flat black spray paint on it to fix that problem. I don't care to advertise how much ammo I have left, but that's just me. I masking-taped a strip on the rear spine of the magazine when I painted it so I could count rounds if I want to, without advertising it to the world.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’