Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About?
Midlands lion malarkey  Here's someone else who wilfully released big cats into the wild. This guy was all over the local news when I was a kid. Frikken idiot.

All the locals knew he did it too.
I am WonderCow....hear me moo!
(11-10-2020, 02:58 PM)WonderCow Wrote: This guy was all over the local news when I was a kid. Frikken idiot.
All the locals knew he did it too.

It might seem a moot point, but I've always wondered if these 'house-kept' and semi-tamed animals
can revert to a wild creature? If they'd had no knowledge of living-off-the-land, can adolescent lions
thrive in a country -albeit constricted by roads and well-walked lanes, where their lack of fear of
humans wouldn't make sightings more frequent?

But then again... if they failed to survive, where are the bones?
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I think they do just fine in the wild. Cats are naturaly shy and cautious creatures and have a tremendous hunting instinct. Consider how quickly domesticated animals like horses and dogs can turn feral.

I once raised two abandoned sparrow chicks. They would perch on my finger and weren't scared of me at all. One day I decided they could fly well enough and let them go. I expected them to come back and visit me or hang around in the garden for a while, but nope, never saw them again. Animals are just closer to their true nature than we give them credit for, truly wild at heart.
(11-10-2020, 12:25 PM)WonderCow Wrote: It's definitely a liger, I just googled it, I don't see what else it could be.

It's a major pain to do pics from my tablet though.

Liger is something I hadn't thought of, but the fur looks too long, from what I can judge by the picture.  Siberian tigers do grow a thicker coat for the harsh winters they encounter, so maybe something along those lines?

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_06_18_at_11.21.26_AM.png]

I'm going with new hybrid, the Lyena  tinylaughing
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(11-10-2020, 04:39 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 12:25 PM)WonderCow Wrote: It's definitely a liger, I just googled it, I don't see what else it could be.

...I'm going with new hybrid, the Lyena  tinylaughing

Damn you Schmoe1...! the fur-thing can really sway it for me!
(11-10-2020, 08:43 AM)drussell41 Wrote: Yeah, you're right.

So we're thinking some kind of feline/canid?  How big are coy-wolves getting?   Probably not that big, but WTH is it?   It can't be smilodon, etc.  What I DO know:  sure as shit would not want to run into this.   What would you estimate the weight at?   Holy crap, it's big.  800 lbs?

Does it look like to you that there's a mismatch between the front and rear legs?   The front are much thicker; the full foot looks like it may be on the ground.   The rear:  very thin shanks and definitely digigrade. I think the width difference between shoulders and hips is pretty weird too.

I think it is some sort of felid.

All of the coyotes around here are really coy-wolves. There aren't any pure bred coyotes here. They speculate that they picked up the wolf part in Minnesota, when they crossed the Mississippi River. Most are around the size of a German Shepherd or a bit smaller, but I did see one early one morning that was about 5 feet long from the tip of it's nose to where it's tail met it's body, which is huge even for a wolf. It looked more like a wolf than a coyote - blunter ears and snout, gray shaggy coat, bushier tail. Both wolves and coyotes have longer legs than German Shepherds, and that one stood about 3 feet tall or maybe just a tad bit more at the shoulder.

I would guess the weight at 450 or 500 pounds on the critter in the photo. It really depends on muscle mass weight, but it doesn't have the gut volume a bear would have at a higher weight, which brings my estimate downward.

There IS a mismatch between front and rear legs. The front is much bulkier and more powerfully built, and taller than the hindquarters. Thay reminds me of a smilodon or a hyena. Hyenas did used to roam these hills in the long ago, but I don't think any of them ever got that big. Interestingly, The Lakota have a legend of a "Shunka-Warakin" that translates to "it carries off dogs", and which some cryptozoologists identify as some variety of hyena.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(11-10-2020, 12:20 PM)BIAD Wrote: If we think that the terrain isn't banked and fairly flat and that the man in the second image is of average height,
the actual size of the animal is quite worrying.

Fair enough, the man is between the forked-branch and not behind it -like the animal, but if he stood to his full height,
one could estimate the 'cat/wolf-thing' to be over five-feet in height at its shoulder.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8605]

Bill is about 5' 10" tall. I would guess the critter to be around 4 feet tall at the shoulder.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(11-10-2020, 12:38 PM)BIAD Wrote:

No problems.

I see your point, the fur isn't as thick, but the overall shape does offer a likeness.
If the animal in Ninurta's pictures is such a creature, then it must've escaped from a zoo or compound.
I wonder why no warnings were issued?!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8606]

If it escaped from a private menagerie, it might not have been reported due to licensing issues. Some localities ban private possession of "wild animals" altogether, and some require licensing. For example, when I was raising Timber Shepherds in NC, I had to maintain a wild animal permit, but in VA they are banned altogether.

Now, I don't know how one could keep possession of a liger secret, as big and as rare as they are. It seems to me that if it was an escapee, licensed or not, someone would know who the owner was and would have blown a whistle, but it does happen. When I was living in Gibsonville NC, a farmer shot a canine chasing his sheep, the carcass of which which was identified as a timber wolf, so they went to all the folks around there who had wolves to locate the source, but the source was never found. All privately held animals were accounted for.

Similar felines have been reported in the Appalachians for a couple of hundred years now, since white folks barged onto the scene, which also argues against an escapee. They are known by different names in different areas - in West Virginia, they were called "wampus cats", but I always figured a wampus was just a feral cat.

(11-10-2020, 01:58 PM)WonderCow Wrote: Circus cats set free an example of how these things happen.

I actually knew Ellis Daw, who ran the old Dartmoor Wildlife Park before 'we bought a zoo' Ben Mee took over. I also know people who have seen pumas locally.

The old Plymouth Zoo was in the city, so it's unlikely they escaped from there, Dartmoor Zoo (as it's now known) is a few miles away in the village of Sparkwell on the southern edge of Dartmoor.

That happens occasionally in the US, too. A few years ago, two grown African Lions were killed by sheriff's deputies in the woods of, I believe it was Alabama, and the source of them was never found, either.

(11-11-2020, 12:53 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 12:38 PM)BIAD Wrote:

No problems.

I see your point, the fur isn't as thick, but the overall shape does offer a likeness.
If the animal in Ninurta's pictures is such a creature, then it must've escaped from a zoo or compound.
I wonder why no warnings were issued?!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8606]

If it escaped from a private menagerie, it might not have been reported due to licensing issues. Some localities ban private possession of "wild animals" altogether, and some require licensing. For example, when I was raising Timber Shepherds in NC, I had to maintain a wild animal permit, but in VA they are banned altogether.

Now, I don't know how one could keep possession of a liger secret, as big and as rare as they are. It seems to me that if it was an escapee, licensed or not, someone would know who the owner was and would have blown a whistle, but it does happen. When I was living in Gibsonville NC, a farmer shot a canine chasing his sheep, the carcass of which which was identified as a timber wolf, so they went to all the folks around there who had wolves to locate the source, but the source was never found. All privately held animals were accounted for.

Similar felines have been reported in the Appalachians for a couple of hundred years now, since white folks barged onto the scene, which also argues against an escapee. They are known by different names in different areas - in West Virginia, they were called "wampus cats", but I always figured a wampus was just a feral cat.

I was watching a show called Fatal Attraction I think on animal planet, one episode had a guy in a highrise apartment in Brooklyn or Manhattan who had a 500 lb bengal tiger living with him from the time it was a cub.

Police came and tranquilized the tiger.l, I believe it's at a sanctuary now.  But if he could hide an animal like that in an environment like that, no doubt somebody in a rural setting could hide a liger

But like you said, theres the issue of the rarity of a liger.  Lion and tiger cubs are rare enough, let alone a liger.  BUT, in our insane world, I wouldn't be surprised if unscrupulous met unscrupulous and a liger cub was sold off quietly for the right price. 

I'm not convinced it's a liger in the photo.  Too much of a slope to the back, like a hyena or smilodon. Plus the longer fur isn't right. Can't find a single picture of a longer haired liger. I also made the mistake of googling "furry liger."
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
Omg! Furry liger!   tinylaughing Thats hilarious!

I always use hairy as a search term for that very reason.
Okay i will let you end the speculation. For your own comfort.

It was me. I had been drinking for 3 weeks and i had not shaved once. Where is this from? Great Britain? U.S.A.?

yep... face not shaven, wandering in the forests really far away from my home. Sounds like business as usual to me tinycool
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(11-11-2020, 11:58 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: Okay i will let you end the speculation. For your own comfort.

It was me. I had been drinking for 3 weeks and i had not shaved once. Where is this from? Great Britain? U.S.A.?

yep... face not shaven, wandering in the forests really far away from my home. Sounds like business as usual to me tinycool

At least you confessed, the staggering on all-fours should've been a giveaway to us. I'm just happy
you go out in the fresh air and enjoyed the night-scenery.
tinylaughing
(11-11-2020, 10:45 AM)WonderCow Wrote: Omg! Furry liger!   tinylaughing Thats hilarious!

I always use hairy as a search term for that very reason.

Me too, the internet changed when I used that term!
*Shudder*
Here's a video where the UK meets The US in the mystery of the Bigfoot.
Gordi has mentioned the lady who is on the call before (Deborah Hatswell),
but this time, she accompanied by a chap called 'Stu'.

This fellow is from my neck-of-the-woods and his accent is not too dissimilar
from mine! The pair discuss with their hosts of the weird upright animals that
walk these Isles.

It's just for the first hour.

(11-16-2020, 09:41 PM)BIAD Wrote: Here's a video where the UK meets The US in the mystery of the Bigfoot.
Gordi has mentioned the lady who is on the call before (Deborah Hatswell),
but this time, she accompanied by a chap called 'Stu'.

This fellow is from my neck-of-the-woods and his accent is not too dissimilar
from mine! The pair discuss with their hosts of the weird upright animals that
walk these Isles.

It's just for the first hour.

Stu's accent IS a lot like yours! I think the main difference is that yours may be a bit thicker, or else you just talk faster.

This gentleman has had one of his videos posted on RN before, this one has more
images displayed that have been sent to him. The standard account accompanies
the selection.

Here's an unusual account with a couple of creatures still unrecognised.
It seems it's not only 'Orange Man' that is bad!

(12-18-2020, 05:47 PM)BIAD Wrote: Here's an unusual account with a couple of creatures still unrecognised.
It seems it's not only 'Orange Man' that is bad!

Thank you. That was very interesting.

I am very familiar with the area, though I know nothing about any animal that matches either of the animals he saw.

I too am leaning toward creatures that may have been products of gene or DNA manipulation. It is indeed a mystery.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(12-18-2020, 08:26 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Thank you. That was very interesting.

I am very familiar with the area, though I know nothing about any animal that matches either of the animals he saw.

I too am leaning toward creatures that may have been products of gene or DNA manipulation. It is indeed a mystery.

It may be interesting to see what you could 'dig-up' anything related to the tale during your travels?!!
Bu I'm certainly not suggesting that you allow some orange road-width-long weasel and his pelt-matching
bipedal friend into your car!!
tinylaughing
I must admit, the possibilities of two unrecognised creatures with same fur colouring does smack of some unnatural
handling.
minusculethumbsup