Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[UK] Greetings card slave worker kept in Nottingham loft.
Quote:Greetings card slave worker kept in Nottingham loft.

'A man who locked two Polish immigrants in his loft, using violence against them and controlling
their ID documents, had been jailed.
One of the men was forced to work 20 hours a day making greetings cards.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2738]

Edward Zielinski, 42, of Birkin Avenue, Hyson Green, Nottingham, admitted two counts of modern
slavery and was jailed for three years and four months.

Judge Gregory Dickinson QC told Zielinski he had treated the victims in a "thoroughly degrading way".
Sentencing him at Nottingham Crown Court, he added: "You made them live in squalor and took away
their incomes.

"You took away their dignity as human beings, you fully exploited their vulnerability, you were able to brow
beat and control them through threats and intimidation." The offences took place between 31 May 2013
and 1 June 2017.
Zielinski made the men work for little or no money.

He would also force his victims to urinate in plastic bottles at night rather than wake him and his wife.

The first victim later started working for an employment agency, but despite earning about £300 ($396.128)
a week 
he was only paid with cigarettes, alcohol, occasional pieces of clothing and £10 ($13.20) cash.

The victim, who wanted to remain anonymous, said he ran away twice but was found by Zielinski and brought
back to the loft. "I slept on the wooden floor, there was no mattress, nothing. I had a blanket to cover myself
and I wore a jacket," he added.

"He was unpredictable and if I asked him for anything I was scared he would hit me. He didn't hurt me because
I had to go to work and look normal.
"I have seen a friend being assaulted by him a few times."

Both victims are being supported by the Salvation Army.
Det Sgt Mike Ebbins, who led the investigation, said the two men were seen as "perfect victims" because they
"couldn't speak a word of English". "The first victim was made to work up to 20 hours a day from 8am to 4am
with only limited break, earning only £10 a week."...'
SOURCE:

Aren't No Borders great...? The illusion that the middle-class live in is so far-removed from what is really occurring
around Europe, that they believe smiling, kind travellers from lovely peacful lands are meeting like-minded folk
of the places they visit and enjoy a latte together.

Still... the slave-owner was white, so it fits their narrative.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
I hope Edward Zielinski gets life in prison!  There is no excuse to treat another human that way! tinyok 

As for the "slaves", as I was reading the article what came to mind was these people must have been very talented to make greeting cards under such terrible conditions.  Imagine what they could do if they were put in a "happy" environment.