Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Strange Phenomenon: Rainbow / Halo around airplane's shadow
[Image: maxresdefault_1.jpg]

While travelling through plane today; I came across a strange phenomenon. The plane's shadow formed on the clouds underneath was surrounded by a rainbow/ halo. 

Further to that, the shadow was shrinking and expanding rapidly but the size of the halo remained almost same.

The related video: https://youtu.be/X0I_Paa9Cpo
That looks cool, but not very strange.
(10-26-2017, 07:47 AM)raman2109 Wrote: [Image: maxresdefault_1.jpg]

While travelling through plane today; I came across a strange phenomenon. The plane's shadow formed on the clouds underneath was surrounded by a rainbow/ halo. 

Further to that, the shadow was shrinking and expanding rapidly but the size of the halo remained almost same.

Intriguing Raman, but I wonder if the effect had anything to do with the glass it was being seen through?
That's the problem when filming through different materials, the clouds, the atmosphere and the aeroplane's
window. We need a scientist!!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(10-26-2017, 11:48 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 07:47 AM)raman2109 Wrote: [Image: maxresdefault_1.jpg]

Intriguing Raman, but I wonder if the effect had anything to do with the glass it was being seen through?
That's the problem when filming through different materials, the clouds, the atmosphere and the aeroplane's
window. We need a scientist!!

The glass may be the reason but still need a clearer explanation. It looked way too intriguing and that is why I am curious to know the exact reason behind this unusual phenomenon.
(10-26-2017, 11:21 AM)Wallfire Wrote: That looks cool, but not very strange.

Thanks friend but can you help in finding the reason for such unusual phenomenon?
(10-26-2017, 11:57 AM)raman2109 Wrote: The glass may be the reason but still need a clearer explanation.
It looked way too intriguing and that is why I am curious to know the exact reason behind this unusual phenomenon.
This may assist.

Glory (optical phenomenon)

'A glory is an optical phenomenon that resembles an iconic saint's halo about the shadow of the observer's head,
caused by light of the Sun or (more rarely) the Moon interacting with the tiny water droplets that make up mist or clouds.

The glory consists of one or more concentric, successively dimmer rings, each of which is red on the outside and bluish
towards the centre. Due to its appearance, the phenomenon is sometimes mistaken for a circular rainbow, but the latter
has a much larger diameter and is caused by different physical processes.

Glories arise due to wave interference of light internally refracted within small droplets...'
SOURCE:
(10-26-2017, 12:12 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 11:57 AM)raman2109 Wrote: The glass may be the reason but still need a clearer explanation.
It looked way too intriguing and that is why I am curious to know the exact reason behind this unusual phenomenon.
This may assist.

Glory (optical phenomenon)

'A glory is an optical phenomenon that resembles an iconic saint's halo about the shadow of the observer's head,
caused by light of the Sun or (more rarely) the Moon interacting with the tiny water droplets that make up mist or clouds.

The glory consists of one or more concentric, successively dimmer rings, each of which is red on the outside and bluish
towards the centre. Due to its appearance, the phenomenon is sometimes mistaken for a circular rainbow, but the latter
has a much larger diameter and is caused by different physical processes.

Glories arise due to wave interference of light internally refracted within small droplets...'
SOURCE:

Thank you so much for you fast reply friend. This had bugged me for long.
(10-26-2017, 01:21 PM)raman2109 Wrote: Thank you so much for you fast reply friend. This had bugged me for long.

No problems, Raman... I just wish I could've said it was something stranger!!
I searched the internet about this phenomenon and found that this is called as 'Glory'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_(opt...henomenon)
(10-29-2017, 04:49 PM)raman2109 Wrote: I searched the internet about this phenomenon and found that this is called as 'Glory'.

I know that this phenomena can appear on misty mountains and with another effect that
enlarges shadows, make the average hiker seen as a giant or ghostly figure by onlookers
at certain angles.

By the way, have you seen my suggested avatars for you, yet?

Click here to see them.
(10-29-2017, 04:59 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(10-29-2017, 04:49 PM)raman2109 Wrote: I searched the internet about this phenomenon and found that this is called as 'Glory'.

I know that this phenomena can appear on misty mountains and with another effect that
enlarges shadows, make the average hiker seen as a giant or ghostly figure by onlookers
at certain angles.

By the way, have you seen my suggested avatars for you, yet?

Click here to see them.
I have already changed the avatar. Thanks for putting in so much effort for me friend.
(10-29-2017, 05:15 PM)raman2109 Wrote: I have already changed the avatar. Thanks for putting in so much effort for me friend.

minusculethumbsup
That my friend is an A++ avatar! tinycool

Here's another version of the phenomena.
The Broken Spectre.
(10-30-2017, 10:39 PM)BIAD Wrote:

Here's another version of the phenomena.
The Broken Spectre.

Yeah that one is right to the point too
Quote:'A glory is an optical phenomenon that resembles an iconic saint's halo about the shadow of the observer's head,

Yes I have seen the effect many times.. I always figured it was due to a thin layer of ice crystals present in high altitude clouds... Certain times of the year the effect is more prevalent but always a joy to see.
(11-01-2017, 07:05 AM)727Sky Wrote:
Quote:'A glory is an optical phenomenon that resembles an iconic saint's halo about the shadow of the observer's head,

Yes I have seen the effect many times.. I always figured it was due to a thin layer of ice crystals present in high altitude clouds... Certain times of the year the effect is more prevalent but always a joy to see.

Right. Its always looks clearer during rainy season.